Start by marking “Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  149 ratings  ·  21 reviews
Organic food is the best food possible. It’s synonymous with premium quality, delicious flavor, conscientious farming, and optimum health. It’s what we need to feed our kids, it’s what we deserve to feed ourselves. And thanks in part to Myra Goodman, co-owner and cofounder of Earthbound Farm with her husband, Drew, organic food is now available just about anywhere fresh fo ...more
Published November 9th 2006 by Workman Publishing Company (first published October 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Food to Live By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food to Live By

The Mystic Princesses and the Whirlpool by P.J. LaRueCradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael PollanThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly CoyneSilent Spring by Rachel Carson
Being "Green"
209th out of 242 books — 153 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow To Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by Carl TremblayThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Awesome Cookbooks!
118th out of 163 books — 77 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
Food to Live By written by Myra Goodman is one of my favorite cookbooks. While I have many, I find that this book offers many recipes that help make use of fresh ingredients that are both healthful and tasty. Each chapter starts out with a story and information about the particular dishes being made and also includes several beautiful clear photographs.

The book starts out as a somewhat biography on how Earthbound Organics (Myra and her husband's business) got started and their first few years of
Dixie Diamond
I saw this at a friend's house and she said I could write down a few recipes, but once I started reading through, there were so many that looked interesting that I ended up just buying the whole book.

I'm probably not a very useful cookbook reviewer. I tend to use cookbooks more for ideas and for loose guidelines than for hard-and-fast rules; I am notorious for not following recipes as written. This looks like a good book for starting points, even if you can't find/can't afford actual organic ing
Laurel
I've always had a passion for cookbooks published by Workman and they've outdone themselves this time! This book is packed with delicious-sounding recipes, incredibly mouth-watering photos, informative notes and asides, and personal touches. I'm buying another copy for my sister; I'm too selfish to share mine!

Recipes to try:
Raspberry Cream Scones
Farm Stand Frozen Raspberry Yogurt
Tuscan White Bean Stew with Rosemary
California Salad with Avocado, Apricots, Almonds and Goat Cheese
Farm Stand Greek
Kitten Kisser
This book has some amazing recipes. I love the lemon snaps and the ginger snaps. Oh man! Excellent! I made the granola & my husband loves it! It's a beautiful book. Glossy full color pages and hard cover. Generously sized. Lots of yummy recipes! Very happy I bought this.
Wendy
I liked the stories about how Earthbound Farms came to be and all of the little sidebar notes and tips. There are a few of the recipes that I'm going to try, but I wasn't overwhelmed with what's in there just because a lot of them have too many steps or ingredients that make them too complicated for me (I'm not much of a cook yet). It did give a great tip on cooking spaghetti squash that I'm excited to try out!
Catarina Gutierrez
Jun 19, 2008 Catarina Gutierrez rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: foodies
Recommended to Catarina by: Amazon
This is a great cookbook with an added story of how their family farm came to existence. I loved every bit of it because I've been on a desperate search to eat healthier and find healthier recipes. The story in the beginning was also inspiration to start a business of my own someday and follow my dream. It also has good tidbits on what something means when its certified organic.
Mrs.
Wonderful cookbook. Tons of photos and tasty, healthy recipes with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables. This is not a vegetarian cookbook, but given that the author is a farmer, the emphasis on fruits and vegetables makes sense. One of my favorite cookbooks.
Katy
Apr 14, 2009 Katy is currently reading it
I'm in the process of learning about the benefits of organic living and organic food. Our family is moving in this direction and the introduction of this book, the pictures and recipes make me want to move to California and live off the land...organically, of course!
Karen
I really like this book so far. Some really tasty recipes. However, the way it's organized makes it a little difficult to find recipes, not sure why. Maybe because I'd prefer a photo with every. single. recipe. and this lists multiple recipes per page. ;)
Elizabeth
A really nice collection of organic-inspired recipes (you don't have to use all organic ingredients, but the books promotes it). A lot of nice vegetarian recipes as well, and plenty of meat options to please others.
Tamsen
This cookbook not only gives great recipes, but lengthy stories of the how and why Earthbond Farms became what it is today. I have visited the farm in Carmel Valley. Beautiful!

Christa Klein-Pettis
The peach pie recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. I just wish there was MORE to this cookbook. There really aren't many recipes, but the ones that are included are excellent.
Maura
I poured over this cookbook for a week and read just about every word in it. The photographs are beautiful and the one thing I've had from it(thanks to Kate!)was incredible.
Susan
What I've tried has been good, esp. granola (modified, of course) -- thanks to the lamented Baking and Books blog and EB
Linda Seltenright
Attention all cookbook lovers...This is full of great recipes & beautiful photographs. Try the Fusion Coleslaw...YUMMY!
Carolynthrash
I didn't relate to the recipes. Earthbound Farm is a corporation and I am skeptical. It was OK
Kara Smith
Loved this book so much, I gave it to a friend and purchased another one for myself.

Kristin
Many awesome recipes, and really enjoyed reading how this farm got its start.
Renee
Jan 06, 2013 Renee added it
A little pretentious but I found some good recipes in it.
Farmer's Daughter
I love the section on raspberries!
Margot Storti-Marron
Margot Storti-Marron is currently reading it
Nov 24, 2014
Carly Ellen Kramer
Carly Ellen Kramer marked it as to-read
Nov 20, 2014
Marianthi
Marianthi marked it as to-read
Nov 01, 2014
Whitney
Whitney marked it as to-read
Sep 15, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • The Breakfast Book
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads and Extras
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Off The Shelf: Cooking From the Pantry
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • HomeBaking: The Artful Mix of Flour and Traditions from Around the World
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
  • In the Green Kitchen: Techniques to Learn by Heart
Salads for Every Season: 25 Recipes from Earthbound Farm The Earthbound Cook: 250 Recipes for Delicious Food and a Healthy Planet Straight from the Earth: Irresistible Vegan Recipes for Everyone Earthbound Farms Green Kitchen Cookbook Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook