Start by marking “Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook” as Want to Read:
Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

Food to Live By: The Earthbound Farm Organic Cookbook

4.21  ·  Rating Details  ·  180 Ratings  ·  22 Reviews
Organic food is the best food possible. It’s synonymous with premium quality, delicious flavor, conscientious farming, and optimum health. It’s what we need to feed our kids, it’s what we deserve to feed ourselves. And thanks in part to Myra Goodman, co-owner and cofounder of Earthbound Farm with her husband, Drew, organic food is now available just about anywhere fresh fo ...more
Published November 9th 2006 by Workman Publishing Company (first published October 20th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Food to Live By, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Food to Live By

Cradle to Cradle by William McDonoughThe Urban Homestead (Expanded & Revised Edition) by Kelly CoyneThe Giving Tree by Shel SilversteinSilent Spring by Rachel CarsonThe Omnivore's Dilemma by Michael Pollan
Being "Green"
235th out of 267 books — 188 voters
My Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna OthitisJoy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanThe America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook by America's Test KitchenThe Moosewood Cookbook by Mollie Katzen
Awesome Cookbooks!
124th out of 135 books — 102 voters

More lists with this book...

Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food, cookbook
Food to Live By written by Myra Goodman is one of my favorite cookbooks. While I have many, I find that this book offers many recipes that help make use of fresh ingredients that are both healthful and tasty. Each chapter starts out with a story and information about the particular dishes being made and also includes several beautiful clear photographs.

The book starts out as a somewhat biography on how Earthbound Organics (Myra and her husband's business) got started and their first few years of
Dixie Diamond
Mar 24, 2008 Dixie Diamond rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks, earthcare
I saw this at a friend's house and she said I could write down a few recipes, but once I started reading through, there were so many that looked interesting that I ended up just buying the whole book.

I'm probably not a very useful cookbook reviewer. I tend to use cookbooks more for ideas and for loose guidelines than for hard-and-fast rules; I am notorious for not following recipes as written. This looks like a good book for starting points, even if you can't find/can't afford actual organic ing
Laurel
Apr 20, 2009 Laurel rated it it was amazing
I've always had a passion for cookbooks published by Workman and they've outdone themselves this time! This book is packed with delicious-sounding recipes, incredibly mouth-watering photos, informative notes and asides, and personal touches. I'm buying another copy for my sister; I'm too selfish to share mine!

Recipes to try:
Farm Stand Greek
Kitten Kisser
Sep 10, 2014 Kitten Kisser rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking
This book has some amazing recipes. I love the lemon snaps and the ginger snaps. Oh man! Excellent! I made the granola & my husband loves it! It's a beautiful book. Glossy full color pages and hard cover. Generously sized. Lots of yummy recipes! Very happy I bought this.
Skeetor
Feb 12, 2016 Skeetor rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
I love all the Earthbound Farm Cookbooks! This one is loaded with photographs of recipes and helpful articles such as "Field Guide to Great-Tasting Tomatoes" and hints for selecting and using recipe items. I haven't made a recipe from this book that I haven't liked.
Wendy
Jan 17, 2011 Wendy rated it liked it
I liked the stories about how Earthbound Farms came to be and all of the little sidebar notes and tips. There are a few of the recipes that I'm going to try, but I wasn't overwhelmed with what's in there just because a lot of them have too many steps or ingredients that make them too complicated for me (I'm not much of a cook yet). It did give a great tip on cooking spaghetti squash that I'm excited to try out!
Catarina Gutierrez
Jun 19, 2008 Catarina Gutierrez rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: foodies
Recommended to Catarina by: Amazon
This is a great cookbook with an added story of how their family farm came to existence. I loved every bit of it because I've been on a desperate search to eat healthier and find healthier recipes. The story in the beginning was also inspiration to start a business of my own someday and follow my dream. It also has good tidbits on what something means when its certified organic.
Mrs.
Nov 03, 2013 Mrs. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
Wonderful cookbook. Tons of photos and tasty, healthy recipes with an emphasis on fruits and vegetables. This is not a vegetarian cookbook, but given that the author is a farmer, the emphasis on fruits and vegetables makes sense. One of my favorite cookbooks.
Katy
Apr 14, 2009 Katy is currently reading it
I'm in the process of learning about the benefits of organic living and organic food. Our family is moving in this direction and the introduction of this book, the pictures and recipes make me want to move to California and live off the land...organically, of course!
Karen
Feb 16, 2010 Karen rated it really liked it
Shelves: food, cookbooks
I really like this book so far. Some really tasty recipes. However, the way it's organized makes it a little difficult to find recipes, not sure why. Maybe because I'd prefer a photo with every. single. recipe. and this lists multiple recipes per page. ;)
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2007 Elizabeth rated it liked it
Shelves: food, non-fiction
A really nice collection of organic-inspired recipes (you don't have to use all organic ingredients, but the books promotes it). A lot of nice vegetarian recipes as well, and plenty of meat options to please others.
Tamsen
Apr 10, 2008 Tamsen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cookbooks
This cookbook not only gives great recipes, but lengthy stories of the how and why Earthbond Farms became what it is today. I have visited the farm in Carmel Valley. Beautiful!

Christa Klein-Pettis
Sep 25, 2012 Christa Klein-Pettis rated it really liked it
The peach pie recipe alone is worth the cost of the book. I just wish there was MORE to this cookbook. There really aren't many recipes, but the ones that are included are excellent.
Maura
Feb 28, 2008 Maura rated it it was amazing
I poured over this cookbook for a week and read just about every word in it. The photographs are beautiful and the one thing I've had from it(thanks to Kate!)was incredible.
Susan
Mar 18, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
What I've tried has been good, esp. granola (modified, of course) -- thanks to the lamented Baking and Books blog and EB
Linda Seltenright
Oct 01, 2009 Linda Seltenright rated it really liked it
Attention all cookbook lovers...This is full of great recipes & beautiful photographs. Try the Fusion Coleslaw...YUMMY!
Carolynthrash
Jun 08, 2010 Carolynthrash rated it it was ok
I didn't relate to the recipes. Earthbound Farm is a corporation and I am skeptical. It was OK
Kara Smith
Mar 31, 2010 Kara Smith rated it it was amazing
Loved this book so much, I gave it to a friend and purchased another one for myself.

Kristin
Jan 13, 2009 Kristin rated it really liked it
Many awesome recipes, and really enjoyed reading how this farm got its start.
Renee
Feb 26, 2015 Renee rated it liked it
A little pretentious but I found some good recipes in it.
Farmer's Daughter
Nov 07, 2008 Farmer's Daughter rated it really liked it
Shelves: green, cooking
I love the section on raspberries!
Happycookbooker
Happycookbooker marked it as to-read
Jul 12, 2016
Junglegirl N
Junglegirl N marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2016
Ana Marsh
Ana Marsh marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2016
Jane
Jane rated it it was amazing
Jun 17, 2016
Lisa Harris
Lisa Harris marked it as to-read
Jun 16, 2016
Erika
Erika marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Terri Bonow
Terri Bonow marked it as to-read
May 14, 2016
Brittany Harrington
Brittany Harrington rated it it was amazing
Apr 11, 2016
  • Greens Glorious Greens!: More than 140 Ways to Prepare All Those Great-Tasting, Super-Healthy, Beautiful Leafy Greens
  • Seasonal Fruit Desserts: From Orchard, Farm, and Market
  • Vegetables Every Day: The Definitive Guide to Buying and Cooking Today's Produce, with Over 350 Recipes
  • Moosewood Restaurant Daily Special: More Than 275 Recipes for Soups, Stews, Salads & Extras
  • The Breakfast Book
  • The Healthy Kitchen: Recipes for a Better Body, Life, and Spirit
  • Saveur: The New Comfort Food: Home Cooking from Around the World
  • Digestive Health with Real Food: A Practical Guide to an Anti-Inflammatory, Low-Irritant, Nutrient Dense Diet for IBS & Other Digestive Issues
  • The Big Book of Preserving the Harvest: 150 Recipes for Freezing, Canning, Drying and Pickling Fruits and Vegetables
  • The Artful Vegan: Fresh Flavors from the Millennium Restaurant
  • Cooking in the Moment: A Year of Seasonal Recipes
  • The Cast Iron Skillet Cookbook: Recipes for the Best Pan in Your Kitchen
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Home Made Summer
  • The Whole Foods Market Cookbook: A Guide to Natural Foods with 350 Recipes
  • Feeding the Whole Family: Whole Foods Recipes for Babies, Young Children, and Their Parents (Revised)
  • Well-Preserved: Recipes and Techniques for Putting Up Small Batches of Seasonal Foods
  • 660 Curries