Start by marking “Fur-Face” as Want to Read:
Fur-Face

Fur-Face

really liked it 4.0  ·  Rating Details ·  36 Ratings  ·  13 Reviews
An evil scientist with a dastardly invention. A sadistic billionaire with a diabolical plan. What stands in their way? Two teenagers and one amazing cat. The bad guys don't stand a chance!
ebook
Published June 2010 by Echelon Press

To ask other readers questions about Fur-Face, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fur-Face

Where the Wild Things Are by Maurice SendakThe Very Hungry Caterpillar by Eric CarleGreen Eggs and Ham by Dr. SeussThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussBrown Bear, Brown Bear, What Do You See? by Bill Martin Jr.
Best Childhood Picture Books
179th out of 406 books — 434 voters
Kris by Patrick O'ScheenDewey by Vicki MyronThe Cat in the Hat by Dr. SeussJames Herriot's Cat Stories by James HerriotMelvin bad,bad kitten by Sannel Larson
Cat on the Cover
49th out of 171 books — 65 voters

More lists with this book...

Jill
Mar 09, 2013 Jill rated it it was amazing
I thought this book was great! It was really engaging and creative! I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to be entertained or has elementary/middle school children to read it to.
Ralph
Nov 12, 2012 Ralph added it
I found this to be an enjoyable and quick read. Looking forward to the sequel.
Elektra
Jun 15, 2012 Elektra rated it really liked it
Fur-Face is a rollicking adventure yarn, a mystery-to-be-solved, a suspenseful rescue tale, and a story about learning to fit-in and make friends. It’s set in a small town in the English countryside–but it could be any small town, anywhere. Author Jon Gibbs has created a wonderfully believable cast of characters, led by 13-year-old Billy and the first friend he makes in his new home of Little Chumberry: Snowy, a longhaired, solid black cat.

Billy is a very real person, with a real family–includin
Patricia Esposito
Mar 03, 2012 Patricia Esposito rated it it was amazing
Sometimes juvenile literature charms adult readers as well, and from the start Fur-Face by Jon Gibbs had me reading with delight. The novel begins with suspense, not only in the set up of the story, but in the author's ability to create small scenes of near-misses and near-catches, depicting how a cat tries to sneak into a house unseen, to its destination. Snowy's plight leaves us sympathetic immediately, but then as he begins to talk to the boy of the house, Billy, we get a taste of his sarcasm ...more
K.A.
Nov 04, 2010 K.A. rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, young-adult
Let me start off by saying that I loved this book. I don’t read a lot of middle-grade or YA fiction so I’m straying into territory I haven’t explored since I was a youngster but I was hooked pretty much halfway through Chapter 1.

The story centers around a black cat named Snowy (or Roland, depending on who did the naming) and his budding relationship with a 13-year-old human boy named Billy Euston, who has recently moved from London to a small English Village that I want to live in too. Snowy ca
Phil Giunta
Jul 12, 2013 Phil Giunta rated it really liked it
Thirteen-year-old Billy Euston and his family have just moved from London to the quiet town of Little Chumberry. There, his father has taken a new position as veterinary surgeon for the local theme park, Adventure Safari. Billy is dismayed to find no other kids his own age in the town.

Meanwhile, a stray black cat known as Snowy has managed to master the English language, yet is unable to find anyone who can actually hear him. This probably wouldn't be an issue had the feline not promised a local
Kam Oi
Aug 31, 2010 Kam Oi rated it really liked it
Thirteen year old Billy has just moved to the English country village of Little Chumberry when he makes friends with the clever Snowy, a talking cat that only he can hear. Snowy soon makes Billy aware that there's more going on in this little village than meets the eye. An evil scientist has been kidnapping and experimenting on local animals, and there are strange happenings in the tunnels beneath Adventure Safari, a nearby zoo and theme park. It's up to Billy and Snowy to get to the bottom of t ...more
Darlene
Apr 03, 2011 Darlene rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young adults and adults who feel young
Recommended to Darlene by: Jon Gibbs
Shelves: young-adult
What a fun adventure. I loved the character, Snowy, just as pompous as any cat can get! It was a fairly fast read. And the key to a good book: I wanted more. I would love this cat to find more mischief for us to read through.

If you love comic books there is a person you might relate to in Billy; quite the normal geek. :)

Though it is a book that could be read by younger children, I think I would have thought it to be too bloody and violent in places for the too young. So I labeled it young adult.
MB Mulhall
Aug 22, 2012 MB Mulhall rated it really liked it
A clever and fun story about a talking cat,the boy who can hear him and the evil Fur-Face who is experimenting on animals. Even though I'm in my 30's, I could enjoy this MG novel and laughed several times while reading it. It also reminded me of my all time favorite book growing up, Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH.

There is a bit of violence at the end, so I would recommend it for a bit of a more mature reader but overall, a great read for kids and adults alike!
Myth
Oct 31, 2010 Myth rated it liked it
It was good. I liked it. The characters are colorful and interesting, especially Snowy who's antics make him very animated. (Though I would say my favorite characters were Aggie and Razor.) The plot isn't too simple or too complicated. Great for a YA audience. It has a good balance of everything.

I would call the genre sort of a mystery/adventure. I don't tend to love this genre. I would say within the adventure and mystery I've read, this is definitely up in the top.
Tracy
Jun 19, 2010 Tracy rated it really liked it
Boy I wish this was in book form. I would love to read this book to some kiddoes. Or gift it to some kiddoes. They would LOVE Snowy as much I adored him. A great easy summer read. Funny and clever.
PSColeman
May 23, 2011 PSColeman rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, science, gibbs
I gave up about halfway through the book because :[return]* The plot didn't flow.[return]* The 'Snowy' character wasn't credible as a cat and was overdone - a bad caricature of a cat.
J.J. Lair
Sep 23, 2012 J.J. Lair rated it really liked it
Marketed as a young adult book, it works as a book for all ages. The story has humor, ups and downs, and an involving story.
Katie M
Katie M rated it really liked it
May 28, 2016
Beth
Beth marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Heather
Heather rated it it was ok
Oct 12, 2015
Amelia
Amelia rated it it was amazing
Oct 10, 2015
Christina West
Christina West marked it as to-read
Sep 09, 2015
SparksofEmber
SparksofEmber rated it liked it
Jan 30, 2015
Michelle
Michelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2015
Barbara
Barbara rated it really liked it
Dec 04, 2014
Victoria Lees
Victoria Lees rated it really liked it
Oct 02, 2014
MG
MG marked it as to-read
Jul 28, 2014
IBW
IBW rated it it was amazing
May 27, 2014
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
May 15, 2014
Hope
Hope rated it really liked it
Apr 06, 2016
Dawn Byrne
Dawn Byrne rated it really liked it
Feb 16, 2016
Sue
Sue rated it it was amazing
Oct 22, 2013
Jordan
Jordan rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2013
Born in England, Jon Gibbs now lives in New Jersey, where he gives writing presentations and workshops in schools and libraries around the Garden State. His humorous talk, GETTING PUBLISHED: 10 Things every Writer Should Know, was broadcast on local television in 2012.

Jon is the founder of The New Jersey Authors’ Network (www.njauthorsnetwork.com) and FindAWritingGroup.com. His middle grade fanta
More about Jon Gibbs...