Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes

Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes

3.29 of 5 stars 3.29  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Fans of Fancy Nancy and Pinkalicious will adore Tina Cocolina, a sweet little cupcake of a girl with a sense of adventure and a flair for fashion who’s on the hunt for her perfect topping. This mouthwatering picture book includes cupcake and frosting recipes from an award-winning pastry chef, maestro Martin Howard.
Published October 26th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers

This book is a great for little girls! And they have recipes in the back! So yummy!
Dianne J.
Age of readership: Ages 5-8

Genre: Picture Book

Diversity: All people go on a journey of self-discovery
All people are different – and so are their cupcake toppings!

Illustrations: Colorful and whimsical pastel drawings

My response to the book: This is a cute story about a cupcake named Tina Cocolina who is searching for her topping, a metaphor for finding out who she really is. The story ends with Tina being crowned Queen of the Gingersnap Academy Cupcakes. Recipes for cupcakes and toppings by pas...more
Sonja Isaacson
My 5yo had picked this at the library and was constantly at me to do the recipes. I have now done all the recipes except the buttercream frosting and my coworkers have really enjoyed them. I did use regular flour instead of cake flour, but I did go buy whipping cream and buttermilk and sour cream - things that are not usually on hand at home. The story is cute, and of course she wins the contest. It's a children's book - I don't understand why other readers are so nutty about not understanding w...more
Becky
This book fits with the cupcake craze, but that's about it. A trite story featuring people that are also, somehow, cupcakes, culminates in little girl Tina's discovery of "strawberry banana cream swirl" which she puts on her head and wins the Cream of the Top cupcake contest. I thought the recipes at the back might redeem it, but they include everything BUT Tina's winning topping. Anticlimactic. Give to those who have read everything Strawberry Shortcake and are looking for something else.
Lee Anne
I was so unbelievably disappointed in this book. The title is so delightful that I had unreasonably high expectations. First of all, the whole idea of personification of a cupcake was too odd. Then the story itself was so lame. I have no idea why Tina won the contest or even deserved to win. The illustrations are bright and fun, though, but it's not enough to redeem the book.
Jolanta
Although to me the whole idea of people wearing cupcakes on their heads and having to find your topping is a bit out there, my daughter really loves this book. We've read it for bedtime several times already. And I have to admit the illustrations are cute.
Carrie
I could see moms reading this to their little girl while Waiting for their batch of cupcakes are baking in the oven. The recipes are even in the back to do a little project together!
Kathy E.
Well, I'm giving it 1 1/2 stars but Megan would give it a 4. Too cutesy and no message. Illustrations were wonderful, though.
Brooke
I think the pictures are so pretty. I just can't take my eyes off the pictures! The words in the book are sweet too!
Samantha Hastings
Too sugary perfect for my taste. Liked the idea of everyone has a talent, but didn't like that she won the contest.
Suzann
You have to love a book about cupcakes with a Nellie Olesonesque villain!
Cute until the ending.
John
Not my cup of tea!
Ashley
Ashley added it
Apr 25, 2014
Savannah Khan
Savannah Khan marked it as to-read
Mar 01, 2014
MrsMaryLibrary
MrsMaryLibrary marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jul 03, 2013
Cammie
Cammie marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2013