Start by marking “Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes” as Want to Read:
Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes

Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes

Fans of Fancy Nancy and Pinkalicious will adore Tina Cocolina, a sweet little cupcake of a girl with a sense of adventure and a flair for fashion who’s on the hunt for her perfect topping. This mouthwatering picture book includes cupcake and frosting recipes from an award-winning pastry chef, maestro Martin Howard.
Published October 26th 2010 by Random House Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Tina Cocolina, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tina Cocolina

Jan 11, 2011 Laura rated it it was amazing
This book is a great for little girls! And they have recipes in the back! So yummy!
Dianne J.
Jul 24, 2011 Dianne J. rated it really liked it
Age of readership: Ages 5-8

Genre: Picture Book

Diversity: All people go on a journey of self-discovery
All people are different – and so are their cupcake toppings!

Illustrations: Colorful and whimsical pastel drawings

My response to the book: This is a cute story about a cupcake named Tina Cocolina who is searching for her topping, a metaphor for finding out who she really is. The story ends with Tina being crowned Queen of the Gingersnap Academy Cupcakes. Recipes for cupcakes and toppings by pas
Sonja Isaacson
Sep 10, 2013 Sonja Isaacson rated it really liked it
My 5yo had picked this at the library and was constantly at me to do the recipes. I have now done all the recipes except the buttercream frosting and my coworkers have really enjoyed them. I did use regular flour instead of cake flour, but I did go buy whipping cream and buttermilk and sour cream - things that are not usually on hand at home. The story is cute, and of course she wins the contest. It's a children's book - I don't understand why other readers are so nutty about not understanding w ...more
Rebecca
Feb 15, 2011 Rebecca rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
This book fits with the cupcake craze, but that's about it. A trite story featuring people that are also, somehow, cupcakes, culminates in little girl Tina's discovery of "strawberry banana cream swirl" which she puts on her head and wins the Cream of the Top cupcake contest. I thought the recipes at the back might redeem it, but they include everything BUT Tina's winning topping. Anticlimactic. Give to those who have read everything Strawberry Shortcake and are looking for something else.
Elle Markov
Apr 26, 2015 Elle Markov rated it it was amazing
A very cheery, very campy, very pink story about finding your flavor. Tina Cocolina is having a little trouble finding her flavor in time for the cupcake contest, but not to worry, inspiration hits when she least expects it. It's a happy book for little girls to enjoy at bedtime.

Rating 5 out of 5
Read@Book
Lee Anne
Mar 12, 2012 Lee Anne rated it did not like it
I was so unbelievably disappointed in this book. The title is so delightful that I had unreasonably high expectations. First of all, the whole idea of personification of a cupcake was too odd. Then the story itself was so lame. I have no idea why Tina won the contest or even deserved to win. The illustrations are bright and fun, though, but it's not enough to redeem the book.
Jolanta
May 24, 2012 Jolanta rated it really liked it
Although to me the whole idea of people wearing cupcakes on their heads and having to find your topping is a bit out there, my daughter really loves this book. We've read it for bedtime several times already. And I have to admit the illustrations are cute.
Kimberly
Dec 11, 2015 Kimberly rated it liked it
I loved the illustrations in this book and the story was good too. Tina didn't give up until she found her topping, which is a representation of perhaps finding herself. There are also recipes at the end of the story that the kids and I are excited to try together.
Susan Erhardt
Dec 03, 2010 Susan Erhardt rated it it was ok
Meh.
Kathy E.
Nov 16, 2010 Kathy E. rated it it was ok
Well, I'm giving it 1 1/2 stars but Megan would give it a 4. Too cutesy and no message. Illustrations were wonderful, though.
Samantha Hastings
Nov 13, 2010 Samantha Hastings rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-books
Too sugary perfect for my taste. Liked the idea of everyone has a talent, but didn't like that she won the contest.
Suzann
May 18, 2012 Suzann rated it liked it
You have to love a book about cupcakes with a Nellie Olesonesque villain!
Michelle
Girly book. I think it was trying to go for a "be yourself" theme?
Carrie
Jan 17, 2011 Carrie rated it liked it
I could see moms reading this to their little girl while Waiting for their batch of cupcakes are baking in the oven. The recipes are even in the back to do a little project together!
John
Dec 14, 2010 John rated it it was ok
Not my cup of tea!
Aug 13, 2016 Jennifer rated it liked it
Loved the illustrations.
Brooke
Apr 27, 2013 Brooke rated it it was amazing
I think the pictures are so pretty. I just can't take my eyes off the pictures! The words in the book are sweet too!
May 06, 2011 Sarah rated it it was ok
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2011
Irene J.
Irene J. rated it really liked it
Jan 07, 2012
Jennifer Ferrer
Jennifer Ferrer rated it really liked it
Apr 12, 2013
Jennifer rated it it was ok
Dec 16, 2010
David Pett
David Pett rated it it was amazing
Jun 25, 2015
Candida
Candida rated it liked it
Dec 02, 2010
Patt
Patt rated it did not like it
Nov 24, 2013
AnneMarie
AnneMarie rated it it was amazing
Dec 31, 2016
sonia wu
sonia wu rated it it was amazing
May 29, 2014
A.J. Irving
A.J. Irving rated it did not like it
Oct 29, 2014
Lisa
Lisa rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Pablo Cartaya is the author of the forthcoming middle grade books, The Epic Fail of Arturo Zamora and Marcus Vega Doesn’t Speak Spanish (Viking Children’s Books/Penguin Random House), and the co-author of the picture book, Tina Cocolina: Queen of the Cupcakes (Random House Children’s Books). He holds an MFA from Vermont College of Fine Arts and a BA from Loyola Marymount University. He is faculty ...more
More about Pablo Cartaya...