Zapped (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #14)

Zapped (Regan Reilly Mystery #11)

3.59 of 5 stars 3.59  ·  rating details  ·  1,559 ratings  ·  174 reviews
It's a hot, humid July night in New York City. Where were you when the lights went out?

A New York City resident for many years, Carol Higgins Clark was there during the blackout of 2003. Not surprisingly, she felt that Regan and Jack Reilly should one day share the experience!

As Zapped begins, the Reillys return home from a summer weekend to the loft in Tribeca they ar...more
Published (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Zapped, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zapped

David
A fluffy novel, big on coincidence, and built on unreasonable overreactions. For example, why didn't Lorraine Lily just phone the Reillys, explain the situation, and ask to retrieve her items from the hidden safe rather than attempt breaking into their apartment. The items and cash in the safe were legitimately hers, and the Reillys seemed like reasonable people.

Similarly, the bungled attempt at breaking into the hidden safe by Arthur (via Wally) could have been done easily during working hours...more
Stephanee
Hated it. This lady is a terrible author and I think the only reason she gets published is because her mother is famous. The only reason I read this is because my mom had it on her shelf. What a waste!
Kate
Terrible, don't start it
Karen
Jan 12, 2009 Karen rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nobody
Amy
she is defintly nothing like her mother as a writer. this book was so predictable and overly coincidental that it was unbelievable. she even put in some coincidences that really did not need to be in there and the book would have been fine if not better without having them. it's fine to have 1 or two coincidences in a book and even a couple of random things were you go - oh that is cool how that worked out but to have a whole book and story line based on that was just ridiculous,
Hasan
This is a harmless little story – weak mystery with way too many coincidences. All the characters know each other and run into each other during the NYC blackout of 2003. It turns out that this is the 11th in a series by Carol Higgins Clark featuring the detective Regan Reilly. This might be a book you would recommend to someone that wants to read while laying on the beach in the summer.
Sydney
This was one of the most pointless books I have ever read. I was wondering if she needed to put a book out, and just "threw" together whatever.
Georgie
Another great installment in the Regan Reilly series. 'Zapped' takes place on the night of the 2003 blackout in New York City, an event Carol Higgins Clark actually experienced herself. Her descriptions of the blackout and the physical sense of it really come off the page and she does a great job of showing how it brought out the good in people (people having block parties, and just handling the whole thing really well, people helping each other out) as well as the bad (looting, people breaking...more
Jessica Flaska
i really loved this book! its the type of book that would make a good tv movie or movie where there are characters who need to get something or have to help someone and time is limited. in this case, there are 4 main sets of characters. t he reilley's. are the main couple. it happens on a night of a major blackout. there are two sets of criminals, a lady who came back from out of the country that found out her soon to be ex sold an apartment and she desperatly needs something, as of to which the...more
Kadrian
Clarice
The plot about the "deranged" woman about to hurt a guy was ridiculous. Carol Higgins Clark, just like her mother, manages to write a whole story about something ridiculous, making it "serious" by adding health problems which would apprently be lethal to a person.

Also, wwhy didn't Lorraine asks the Reilly to take back her personnal items in the flat? It used to be hers, she has the rights to do so!

I read other Regan Reilly books are somewhat enjoyable, but this one is really bad.
Katy
While I love Carol Higgins Clark mysteries, featuring husband and wife team Jack and Regan Reilly,I found this one to be predictable. A blackout in NYC, a burglarized apartment that was going to be burglarized again!, a break-in at an upscale gallery, and a mentally ill woman that picks up blonde men and then drugs them so she can brand them (gross!). All in a night in the Big Apple.

Shirley
Like all of her novels, this one is well-written and entertaining. Zapped is a quick paced mystery/suspense that can, if one is able, be read in one sitting; however, I didn`t have that luxury. The cast of characters can become confusing as the plot develops and more people become involved. The author jumps from one character/story line to another, generally doing so in separate chapters, so I found myself having to refresh my memory as to which character was which, especially when it came to t...more
Violet
I was turned off pretty early by the plot. Lorraine came back from England and was notified by her husband that he had sold their apartment to their neighbors (by coincidence, the Reillys) and he was getting a divorce. Lorraine had some letters that she didn't want to be made public, in a safe in that apartment, so she immediately started dreaming up an idea for breaking and entering, etc. etc. etc. to get the letters .... corny. She could have just told the Reillys about the safe and they would...more
Dianne Payne
The first book by Carol Higgins Clark that I have read and most definitely the last. I simply do not have enough reading time to waste on 'stuff' like this. I say stuff because trash seems too harsh but I really don't know what else to call it.
Ridiculous storyline, unlikable characters and poor writing. Not for me at all.
Maggie
I typically love Clark mysteries, but this one was pretty disappointing. No big shocks, no big reveals. It felt more like a overdramatized Lifetime network movie. Too good of an ending, which made the whole plot seem cheesy. The reasoning behind the crimes was pathetic and unrealistic.

Pass on this one.
Suzanne
Oct 21, 2008 Suzanne rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Suzanne by: me--library book
I had not read anything by this author. Probably won't again.
The story was mediocre. Nothing exciting. Nothing suspenseful. There were many strange storylines in this book. One of the storylines reminded me of the Three Stooges. Mind you, I didn't like The Three Stooges. They were so corny and not even funny.
Why did I pick this book? Well, I'm in a book challenge to read one book from every letter in the alphabet. Other than that, now I know why I never read a Carol Higgins Clark.
Somebody said...more
Dharia Scarab

4 sta...more
Susan
Zapped was another great adventure featuring Clark's Regan Reilly. Clark delivers a fabulous adventure full of the great colorful characters of hers that I have grown to love. I have come to realize when I want a fast, fun, and delightful cozy to read then I have to pick up a Regan Reilly book. The book begins with Regan and Jack returning home after some time away to a blackout in New York. Naturally adventure follows them when the wife of the man who sold them his loft comes home to the surpri...more
Cindy
Too many characters, too many coincidences, completely unrealistic. This is the first book I read from this author, and it will probably be the last. It was like a really bad B movie, without the fun silliness.
Heather
I highly enjoy all of the Regan Riley mysteries. I love how she is always being herself into trouble and that Kit always ends up trying to date a horrible man.
Leslie aka StoreyBook Reviews
This was a very fast read and continues the story line of Regan Reilly and her now husband Jack. They have just come back from a trip and all of a sudden the city of NY is blacked out...along with parts of NJ and Conneticut due to a failure on the grid. In the midst of the evening (and yes it all takes place over about 12 hours max, probably more like 8) Regan gets locked on the roof of her building, a mad woman is on the loose that wants to brand all men because of a bad relationship and two di...more
Catherine
Not a bad read. It did take a while for me to get into this one. I think I bought it during the holidays because I had forgotten to bring a book to read during breaks and transit, and it was one of the only ones at the gift shop that wasn't torn, scuffed, or something I already owned. So it sat on the bottom of my backpack for a while, mostly because it was a little tough to start. The last week, however, I forced myself to finish it, and towards the end, I couldn't put it down! It seems kind of...more
Susan
Two different groups want to break into Jack and Regan Reilly's New York loft the night of the blackout--but that's not the crime that really concerns the duo, he head of the Major Crimes Unit and she a private investigator. It's what Regan learns about Georgina, a convention-attendee who has a habit of picking up blond young men and branding their arms. Georgina has just dumped Regan's friend Kit (temporarily on crutches) at a comedy club, and gone off with Chip Jones, young and blond. Can she...more
Marc
This was the first Carol Higgins Clark book I read, and it got me hooked. If you're coming from her mother, Mary's, books, don't expect the same kind of novel. CHC's books aren't thrillers like MHC's but rather comic mysteries with parallel storylines from the detective's and the villain's points of view. Zapped has an interesting, if not terribly original, plot, and I snickered the whole way through: the secondary characters are a real treat, particularly the wanna-be actress, Lorraine. This is...more
Christine
Love her bold fast paced and fun to read
Peggy
Easy read. Not too deep.
Teresa B
Mar 16, 2010 Teresa B rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYone
I may have found a new "favorite" author!

Zapped is a fast-paced, humorous mystery/detective story with just enough romance and adventure to compel quick page turning. Regan Reilly is a private investigator whose husband Jack is head of the Major Case Squad (or something like that) for the NYPD. Multiple plot threads weave together in a sometimes hilarious, sometimes terrifying, always interesting adventure.

I can't wait to go back and read some of the author's earlier works!
Natalie
I don't know why I still keep coming back to CHC, maybe I hope that one day she will get better. It hasn't happened yet but I found it is much easier to listen to her books.

The one thing that I struggle with is that the stories are all contrived. Somehow everyone that Regan runs into knows everyone else, or just happens to know the right information. I understand that occasionally this has to happen in a mystery novel but this was just too much for me.
  • The Christmas Thief
  • Do You Promise Not To Tell? (KEY News #2)
  • Thread Reckoning (An Embroidery Mystery, #3)
  • The Chocolate Snowman Murders (A Chocoholic Mystery #8)
  • Norway to Hide (Passport to Peril, #6)
  • Murder Unleashed
Carol Higgins Clark (1956– ) is an American mystery author. She is also the daughter of author Mary Higgins Clark , with whom she has co-authored novels, and the former sister-in-law of author Mary Jane Clark.

Born in New York City, Clark received her B.A. from Mount Holyoke College in 1978 and then studied acting at the Beverly Hills Playhouse. She is the author of the Regan Reilly mystery series....more
More about Carol Higgins Clark...
Decked (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #1) Hitched (Regan Reilly Mystery, #9) Snagged (Regan Reilly Mystery, #2) Iced  (Regan Reilly Mysteries, #3) Laced (Regan Reilly Mystery, #10)