Start by marking “When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)” as Want to Read:
When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

When Breaks the Dawn (Canadian West #3)

4.11  ·  Rating Details ·  4,724 Ratings  ·  123 Reviews
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1985)

To ask other readers questions about When Breaks the Dawn, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Breaks the Dawn

Lindsey (Books for Christian Girls)
About this book:

“After surviving a harsh first year in the far north, Elizabeth Delaney and her Royal Canadian Mountie husband, Wynn, are settling into the small community of Beaver Creek. Elizabeth is once more teaching school, and they seem to be gradually making a place for themselves among the Indians. And then the news arrives...”

Series: Book #3 of the “Canadian West” series. (Book #1 review Here! and Book #2 review Here!) {There is a movie based on the first book of this series with the sa
Melissa
Jan 26, 2011 Melissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

When Breaks the Dawn is the third novel in Janette Oke's Canadian West series. I found that this book was much improved over the second in the series and just as good as the first.

This installment starts out exactly where the second book left it, at the trader's and his wife's return to the settlement with much needed supplies. Unlike the other books however, this one covers several years instead of just one year.

Elizabeth has largely adjusted to living life in the frigid North and with her frie
Alexis Villery
I used to read Janette Oke a lot when I was younger so I decided to pick up this book in a moment of nostalgia. In a nutshell, this book is about the trial and tribulations of Elizabeth and Wynn while they endure the hardships of the rugged west.

You don't have to have read the first two books in the series but it might be helpful. Some characters are mentioned in passing that will be unfamiliar if you haven't read the previous two books but it doesn't affect the present storyline much. Some boo
Annalisa
Apr 20, 2009 Annalisa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nadine Keels
Nov 29, 2016 Nadine Keels rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The city had changed much since then, but I had changed more. The young, stylish schoolteacher from the East no longer existed. In her place was an older, wiser and, I hoped, more sensitive woman.

Elizabeth and her Canadian Mountie husband, Wynn, are nearing their first wedding anniversary. They've been making a life for themselves at Beaver River, a village in the far Northwest, but they'll face a devastating disappointment in When Breaks the Dawn by author Janette Oke.

This novel felt like class
Marie
Mar 18, 2017 Marie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
simplistic, yet heart moving.
Victoria
Not as good as the first two.
Jessica
I enjoyed this third book of the Canadian West series. I will say that the content and writing is built for an older audience. Not that there was anything inappropriate within the pages. From the little I've read, Oke seems to write clean books. But it struck me while reading that many of the struggles Elizabeth and Wynn face are marital and adult life related. For instance, the desire that the couple shares of having a child or the daily, difficult grind of living in the wilderness.

This book se
Becky
When Breaks the Dawn continues right where When Comes The Spring leaves off. In When Comes The Spring, the community is desperate but resourceful after a horrible fire destroys the village's supply store. Without these resources to see them through, the whole community is at risk. Alone these families and individuals have little chance, but, working together, well, they might just survive: not that it will be easy, but still, there's hope. When Breaks the Dawn begins with the arrival of the supp ...more
Gale
Nov 28, 2014 Gale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“The Birth of a Frontier Wife”

In this 3rd book of the Schoolteacher Meets Mountie quartet
Elizabeth and Wynn are firmly established in the little Indian village in the Canadian northwest. Kip, their silver-furred husky, comes into his own. With the return of Spring the long-awaited supply train arrives so the villagers do not starve and the men can rebuild the burned-out trading post. Nimmie, Elizabeth’s dear Indian girlfriend, urges her to take up her dream to establish a school for the Native
#Your life is a story in God's hand's#
This book is a wonderful sequel to "When Comes the Spring". Elizabeth is a strong lady and I admire the way she has persevered through the hard things. I also think Wynn is a very supportive husband and is willing to help Elizabeth throughout her times of loneliness.
Kristilyn
And again this book takes off where the last one ended – perfect since I dove right into it (I didn’t do the same with the fourth book, so hopefully I can still get into that one!). I felt like this book struggled from being in the middle of a series. It dealt more with the personal struggles of Wynn and Elizabeth and not too much else.

Elizabeth has finally started to feel at home, she’s started teaching again, she’s made some friends, but the idea of family is what’s starting to bug her, especi
Digging deeper into the Northern Canadian Mounties' wife experience, Janette Oke expands on the When Calls the Heart series (a.k.a The Canadian West series), exploring day to day life as our young couple settles in their new home, becoming accustomed to the rural hardships and realities. This story returns to Elizabeth's teaching roots, and addresses infertility in one of the most honest and unabashed portrayals I've seen in fiction. Here there is no sugarcoating the heartache, worry, and deep g ...more
Natalie
Mar 29, 2016 Natalie rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first one but the second book in this series fell flat for me because there was no real courtship between the two main characters - it just sort of happened.

The third book basically details Elizabeth's longing for a child. Now granted I know that this series is set in an earlier time period, but I would still like to see some female empowerment. She mopes a LOT, saying things like "God had blessed so many women with babies, but not me" or "I needed a child to make my life complete" o
Christina
Part three of the Canadian West series gives us a deeper look at Elizabeth's new life in the North. By now she has established friendships, attempted to start a school for the settlement children, and has generally settled in.

As with the first two books, the emotion is very honest and raw, especially when Elizabeth begins longing for a child.

Unlike the others in the series, this books spans over several years. There were still detailed accounts of the important events in the settlement and Eli
Victoria Wright
Oct 07, 2016 Victoria Wright rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Allan67
This is another book that I have just finished reading to the wife. It is a continuation of the second book and takes up when the people of the settlement meet the supply wagon train in the Spring. I think that without reading the first two books of this series, we would have missed much. Much of the book focuses on Elizabeth and Wynn's inability to have children, their taking in what would now be called foster children and the emotions of giving up the children that have become a part of their ...more
Faye
Nov 01, 2016 Faye rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In book number three, Elizabeth faces many problems. The author continues to develop conflicts for her character everyday. Elizabeth goes through heartbreaks which she had never expected to happen. At the end, she decides to trust in God and let Him be in control of her path. Even though this was book three, Janette Oke still made it the most interesting book in this series. Everyday there was something new for Elizabeth, a celebration, an adventure, or just another day that God had created for ...more
Malia
I am so glad that I live in a time when there are infertility treatments and adoption is common. Having gone through years of infertility and loss, I was really able to identify with Elizabeth.

I really appreciated that the Delaney's were not "magically" able to conceive just because they stopped worrying about it. Yes, it's fiction, but it's much more realistic and easier to identify with this way. So much fiction about infertility ends that way... it's not at all realistic. Yes, at times, God
Catherine Hegewald
Jul 07, 2013 Sarah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was really good. I learn a lot through Beth's struggles and how she doesn't just get what she wants right away. She's also a good example of a godly wife.

After reading the "Seasons of the Heart" and this series I'm honestly getting sick of first person. Which is weird because I usually prefer first person. Recently though first person has made me feel disconnected from the minor characters in the book. That isn't really something against the book itself though. Just something I'm thinking
Sarah Richards
Jul 14, 2013 Sarah Richards rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The pain and frustrating agony Beth experiences in this book is something I can relate to personally. The angst felt when one fervently prays to God and the answer received is not the one you want. Getting a "no" or "not now" when one feels they have done everything "right". The anger, the sense of abandonment the main character goes through, was masterfully written. Her journey though struggle to acceptance and finally restoration of faith is beautiful in its realism.
Telisha
Sep 08, 2015 Telisha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian
Anna
Jan 28, 2016 Anna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Sandra
Feb 18, 2014 Sandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've loved this entire series! It's been a joy to read and I looked forward to it every evening. It sure put my state of mind in a great place before going to sleep. I've been watching the series When Comes the Heart on the Hallmark channel on Saturday nights and have thoroughly enjoyed it also. Facebook showed a picture of Janette Oke with the cast from the series and also stated that she is writing another book for the Canadian West series. I can't wait!
Hilary
Now settled in the remote village with her Mountie husband, Elizabeth's life is still full of changes. Her friends need help, she wants to start a school, and she desperately wants to start a family. The emotional turmoil and pain some of these cause may hit close to home for some, but the author doesn't dwell on sadness for too long - and Elizabeth's faith in God always brings hope.
Judy
Jan 17, 2014 Judy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in Janette Oke's Canadian West series. It is a great continuation of Elizabeth and Wynn Delaney's story of hardship and survival in the Canadian northwest in the early part of the 20th century. Wynn is a Canadian Mountie and Elizabeth does her best to support and help him in any way that she can.
Cricket
Jul 19, 2016 Cricket rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Another good book in this series. Elizabeth and Wynn story continues in North Canada. The trials of livelihood that far north is interesting and difficult. How they deal with weather, sickness, and the fact of no children. Truly enjoyed this series and now onward to book 4.
Kristi
At this point i find Elizabeth's barrenness to be a bit unbelievable. i love Kip and feel for her on Susie and Samuel but she is healthier than the native women and that she hasn't at least miscarried seems odd. The years seem to fly by and Elizabeth finds wilderness life suits her, she isn't ill or infirm, it seems to only serve to provide angst.
Terri
May 24, 2016 Terri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this book Elizabeth and Wynn help the settlement rebuild the trading post, Elizabeth starts a school, and Elizabeth struggles because she isn't able to have any children. She takes in two different children, but both are taken back by their families which cause her additional heartbreak. In the end, Wynn is sent to another posting and Elizabeth has come to terms with being childless.
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Dec 17, 2014 04:06PM
  • A Gathering of Memories (A Place Called Home, #4)
  • Janette Oke: A Heart for the Prairie
  • Ashes and Ice (Yukon Quest, #2)
  • The Reapers Song (Red River of the North, #4)
  • The Dixie Widow: 1862 (The House of Winslow)
Janette Oke writes with a profound simplicity of what she knows best—real life, honest love, and lasting values. With over 23 million in sales, her historical novels portray the lives of early North American settlers from many walks of life and geographical settings. She also writes engaging children's stories and inspiring gift books that warm the heart.

Janette was born during the depression year
More about Janette Oke...

Canadian West (6 books)
  • When Calls the Heart (Canadian West, #1)
  • When Comes the Spring (Canadian West #2)
  • When Hope Springs New (Canadian West #4)
  • Beyond the Gathering Storm (Canadian West #5)
  • When Tomorrow Comes (Canadian West #6)

“Mankind cannot suffer anywhere without it bringing sorrow to other hearts” 0 likes
“Who knows what exciting things might be just over the next hill.” 0 likes