Confederation (In Her Name: Redemption, #2)

Confederation (In Her Name: Redemption #2)

4.22 of 5 stars 4.22  ·  rating details  ·  1,289 ratings  ·  72 reviews
In the second book of the In Her Name science fiction & fantasy series, Reza Gard has been banished from the Kreelan Empire and is once again a stranger in a strange land as he returns to the human Confederation. Befriended by a marooned Confederation naval officer leading a desperate fight against the Kreelans on a distant colony world, she reunites Reza with Nicole C...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published March 4th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Confederation, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Confederation

Daniel Swensen
Would have been four stars if not for the bewildering and unnecessary inclusion of the lesbian character who "goes straight" just long enough to have sex with the male protagonist. The character spends the entire book vehemently declaring her own sexual orientation, then suddenly decides to be attracted to the protagonist because she's "lonely." I don't think so.

It may seem a petty thing to get irate about, but I thought it was unbelievable and completely undermined the integrity of my favorite...more
Kirkus MacGowan
In Her Name: Confederation has more of a science fiction feel than the first in the series. It is similar to the first book in that we follow Reza Gard over a period of years. I'm not sure if I'm more into the story, or if it's because Hicks gained confidence as he went on, but the writing seemed more in the scene in the second book. Probably a combination of both confidence and my enjoyment.

Gard appears in the story shortly after it begins and immediately takes control of the show. After spendi...more
Deborah Hughes
I couldn't wait to get to this second book after reading the first. I was not disappointed. I was wondering how Reza's relationship would play out once he was reunited with his first love (innocent though it was), Nicole. I think Hicks handled their reunion well and developed their relationship realistically. I almost didn't rate this as a five because I truly believe someone like Reza would be handled much differently than how Hicks has portrayed, but this is his story and who am I to inflict m...more
Cameluta
I give this book 4.5 stars, and here is why is not full five stars.

As the title of the book suggests, "Confederation" tells us the story of Reza after he returned in the human Confederation, how the humans welcomed him and his struggle to reintegrate in the world he does not remember... And Michael R. Hicks does a wonderful job here. The problem for me was that I was more connected with the Kreelan word than with what happened in the human part of the galaxy. All the time I wanted to know what's...more
Phoenix Reads
It had been a long time since I read science fiction, but I decided to expand my reading to new genres and picked up Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1) by Michael R. Hicks. I found it to be a wonderful blend of epic fantasy and sci fi.

So read it, loved it, and immediately bought Confederation, and Final Battle.

Michael Hicks created the world of Earth after it had taken to space, having built far-flung, loose colonies that behaved similar to our own nations here on Earth - mistrusting, not nece...more
C.p. Bialois
Michael Hicks’ In Her Name: Confederation is the second book in his first trilogy and continued the mythos he began in Empire. In Confederation, we continue to follow the tale of Resa Gard as he returns to the human Confederation to continue his previous life. Through intense scrutiny he succeeds in winning a place in the marines and rises to the rank of captain over the course of several years.

Reunited with Nicole, his childhood love, and a handful of others that he trusts Resa serves with hono...more
Lisa Hapney
Confederation, Book 2 of the In Her Name: Redemption trilogy has us following Reza Gard as he tries to acclimate to being human. I enjoyed the book, but didn't find it to be as gripping as Empire, the first book in the trilogy. However, it is a necessary piece in an evolving story. There's a lot of exploration of the human attachments that Reza makes and though he is still the proud and dangerous warrior that we know him to be, he is also out of his element in his dealings with his own kind shal...more
Richard   Alan
The second book in the IN HER NAME series, CONFEDERATION, follows Reza Gard's life after he leaves the Empire. He is still very much a Kreelan when he joins a human fighter group after saving their lives from other Kreelans. He is brought to Earth where some want to kill him, experiment on him, or train him to be a Marine. As his memory returns,he remembers his human childhood and he is loyal to his new home; but many do not trust him and plot against him.

I enjoyed this novel as much as the fir...more
Cordenne
I kneel down in a Kreelan salute to this book and its creator! In the first book I wondered if I could ever make something like it, always wanting to be an author myself. I shrugged and put the thought off for the moment. Now I have my answer. NEVER? Where did this author get the storyline of such a book? It seems humanly impossible that he formulated this whole book out of pure patience and thought. Maybe a dream perhaps. All I know is that I never could have just thought anything like that up...more
Joe Russomanno
Before I get started I want to point out that the book description is wrong. It's referring to another installment in the In Her Name series, First Contact I believe.

I think Mr. Hicks is a modern day Homer, in that he gives us an modern day Odyssey. The plot, characters and narrative are genuine. This is in my opinion a Literary masterpiece and I can think of nothing else to describe it.

Now I said masterpiece, not flawless. There were some things I found lacking in the story which, to me were n...more
Kirkus MacGowan

Aster Brown
Second book of the series and where did the aliens go? Oh there they are in the last third of the book. Mr. Hicks sometimes digresses into other side stories from the primary hero in this book; I would have like at least one of those digressions earlier in the book to include the aliens so important to the first book. Instead he switches to the standard military/political mix with no unique twists to make it his own.

I have just finished the book and it had none of the sparkle of physiological jo...more
Laurie Green
May 04, 2013 Laurie Green rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Science Fiction Romance fans, Avatar fans
Better than the first book in the series, though EMPIRE was still engrossing in laying the necessary foundation for Reza's journey and his character. I loved the military elements and characters in book two, especially the opening. There were some big surprises in the continuing adventure and one incredibly spooky-intense scene that gave me goosebumps with its fabulous build-up.

Great conflict, mystery and world-building throughout. (I won't detail out the story here. That's what reading--and dis...more
Brian Rush
Someone may have noted this already but the description here is of the wrong book.

In this sequel to Empire, the plot and story continue to hold interest and the characterization has improved somewhat. It's not as fast-paced and riveting in my opinion as Empire, but still above average. Reza, the main character, remains somewhat of a cypher; he's describable in a few simple phrases -- take any competent human being and raise him to be a Kreelan warrior and (if he survives) he'll be indistinguisha...more
Greg
Yes, I started and finished this, not short, book in a day. Pretty much couldn't put it down.

The main character in this trilogy has reminded me of another character, and until this morning I couldn't exactly remember which one. < a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicholas... Seafort Have you ever read the Seafort saga books by David Feintuch, especially the first ones? Then you'll find Reza somewhat familiar. Doing the "right" thing, no matter the impact to himself. Building a small circle...more
Dan
This book was a huge disappointment after the first of the series. I was very frustrated at the pace and the inclusion of so many useless side plots and stereotypical bad guys. I skimmed through much of this book. The first 70% is boring. The last 30% has some good parts to the continuing story of Reza. I expected this book to pick up at the same level as Empire. Instead it wallowed in dripping patriotism, cheesy love plots, too fake bad guys, and no real purpose for the main protagonist life un...more
Stephanie
Solace Winter
Michael Hicks knows how to tell a story and this one sucks you in from the beginning. Picking up almost immediately where the first novel left off, Confederation is a story of the choices we make and what happens when those choices are made. Hicks integrates a few new characters seamlessly while keeping the focus of the story on Reza. One thing I love about Hicks' novels is that he celebrates female power. His women are the majority in power and his alien race is a group of females who are not m...more
B.J. Keeton
I really wanted to love this book. I love the world and the idea behind it, and the first book in the series was fantastic. But this one just felt off. The characters were shallow and stereotypical - not archetypal - and there really wasn't an inciting incident to move things along. I kept waiting on something to happen, and it never did.

This isn't the first sequel to feel this way, and some of my favorite series have been broken up by lackluster second installments, so I keep hope alive that th...more
Amber
I really enjoyed this book/series. I could feel the struggles that Reza felt at being banished from the world he grew accustomed to then having to start all over on his home world.
Tim
This is the second book in the "In Her Name: Redemption" trilogy and it is just as good as the first one. "Confederation" picks up with Reza Gard being returned to humanity after being exiled from the Empire. This novel follows Gard as he relearns to be human.

Again, Hicks has created a wonderful story that is full of action and emotion. The characters, especially Reza, are deep and complex and the reader can relate to the majority of them (and despise the characters they should).

I'm still not a...more
Serge Boivin
After taking a "break" after reading Empire and going back to the beginning to read the "In her name" trilogy (written after the Redemption trilogy, but happening earlier in story chronology), I am so happy to come back to Reza's story in Confederation. Empire really got me into this series, and I felt a bit like the other trilogy was too disconnected from the second one. I really enjoyed coming back to Confederation. There is much less of the battle tactics and detailed weapons descriptions her...more
Jane Blanchard
In Her Name: Confederation is a riveting sequel.

I loved the second book in the trilogy, In Her Name: Confederation by Michael Hicks; it is a thrilling read. Reza Gard returns to the culture of his origins but is not accepted as human. He struggles to assimilate while never leaving his Kreelan identity. As he grapples with prejudices, with power-hungry individuals, with the loss of his Kreelan love, I found myself caring about what happens to Reza Gard.

I found the ending a little too fantastic. N...more
David
Excellent continuation of an interesting story. The best in the series so far. Cannot wait to read the next one.
Linda Rae
I am about 80% through the Omnibus edition of In Her Name and cannot wait to get the rest of the series. Michael has written a masterful epic here, and as I read it I can visualize every battle, love scene, confrontation with evil that Reza Gard experiences. His descriptions are sweeping and complete. His characters make you laugh and cry (often). Have the tissues ready! There is absolutely nothing that I can think of that he could do to improve on what he's already done!

Kudos, Michael R. Hicks....more
I really enjoyed the first book of the series - giving it my highest praise for a "pulp" book - meaning that it really held my attention during a workout! I was prepared to be let down by this book, but what a surprise! It was terrific.

At first I was bummed because I didn't want to have to get to know new characters, but they were easy to get to know and well developed. The plot kicked along and yes, it kept me very entertained and distracted on the elliptical.

I am looking forward to book 3.
Solitaire Parke
"In her Name: Confederation" by Michael R. Hicks is the second installment in the story of Reza, a human abducted by the Kreelan race and raised to be one of them. Due to unforeseeable events, Reza has to return to human occupied space and pick up his life, though his heart and love are with a Kreelan woman. The story is deep in character and the plot is flawless. If you're into science fiction, this entire series is definitely for you! Mr. Hicks has amazing power over narration. Simply superb!
Marianne Søiland
Book 2 picks up where the first one ended. This time with focus on the Confederation, the other side. Politics with its strong and weak personalities, the humans reactions to aliens, how to handle situations - again so realistic and captivating described that you really develop compassion/anger with the different people and aliens described. It is masterfully done! I read this second book with only a (short night) sleep inbetween, eager to start The Final Battle.
Tracey
I didn't enjoy this book as much as the first one. I found it hard to connect to Reza since he seemed so different this time. Liked the new characters that were introduced, like Jodi, but really missed the Kreelans. It also seemed like Reza was accepted a little too readily by the humans and they gave up getting info out of him too quickly before being allowed to join the Marines. Again, the head hopping is a big issue, making the paragraphs inconsistent.
  • Spinward Fringe Broadcast 4: Frontline (Spinward Fringe, #4)
  • The Last Praetorian (The Redemption Trilogy, #1)
  • The Phoenix Conspiracy (The Phoenix Conspiracy, #1)
  • The Girls From Alcyone (The Girls from Alcyone #1)
  • Aurora: CV-01 (The Frontiers Saga #1)
  • Valkyrie Burning
  • Gabriel's Redemption
  • Valor At Vauzlee (A Galaxy Unknown #2)
  • The Mists of Sorrow (The Morcyth Saga, #7)
  • Queen of Arlin (The Cyber Chronicles, #1)
Born in 1963, Michael Hicks grew up in the age of the Apollo program and spent his youth glued to the television watching the original Star Trek series and other science fiction movies, which continues to be a source of entertainment and inspiration. Having spent the majority of his life as a voracious reader, he has been heavily influenced by writers ranging from Robert Heinlein to David Weber, a...more
More about Michael R. Hicks...
Empire (In Her Name: Redemption, #1) Season Of The Harvest (Harvest Trilogy, #1) First Contact (In Her Name: The Last War, #1) Final Battle (In Her Name: Redemption, #3) In Her Name: Redemption (In Her Name: Redemption, #1-3)

“if anything, you may think of me as Adam without his Eve, cast out of the Garden with no hope of ever returning.” 1 likes