Start by marking “Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals” as Want to Read:
Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals

Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals

3.55 of 5 stars 3.55  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  23 reviews
South American rats settle arguments by boxing. Tuna fish sunbathe and herring communicate with each other by breaking wind. Llamas hum to each other, elephants impersonate traffic sounds and whales sing ballads. Some kangaroos grow on trees.

Strange new, scientifically proven facts about the animal kingdom emerge seemingly every day. Here, gathered together in one book, ar
Published October 23rd 2006 by Bantam Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why Pandas Do Handstands..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Pandas Do Handstands...

Fox
Recently I attacked the non-fiction section of my library, focusing primarily upon the sections devoted to biology, zoology, and cognitive ethology. This was one of the stranger books I picked up there. It looked amusing enough, though not terribly indepth. The title made me laugh, and well, the cover left a bit be be desired... Unfortunately, so did the book.

This book was comprised of a series of lists of odd animal behaviors and why they might act that way. It was written in a conversational m
Nathalie S
I though most animals, especially the cute ones, lived innocuous lives, seemingly free of human-like drama---don't you believe it. You will never look at the animal kingdom in the same way! This book also answered the puzzler of why my cat seems to find a treat placed directly in front of her with great difficulty. I always thought it was that cats don't have as good a sense of smell as dogs. This may be part of the answer, but the real answer is that cats can't see underneath their noses! As to ...more
Gabrielle W.
This book contains a bunch of fun and fascinating facts about the animals. Some facts are but a sentence or two, while others are half a page. It's a joy to read-so long as you love trivia!
Dhe
l'autore è un non meglio precisato amante degli animali, attualmente vive a londra ma da piccolo ha vissuto in fattoria ed è sempre stato affascinato dagli animali e dalle loro stranezze. o almeno così racconta il libro, per quanto mi riguarda ho cercato notizie su di lui ma non ho trovato molto, è il suo primo e unico libro a quanto pare ed è stata una piacevola quanto variegata lettura.

come ben sapete sto attraversando un periodo di curiosità su animali e affini, e questo libro era fra gli alt
Falina
I lost most of my interest in this pretty quickly, but remained *just* interested enough to finish it, though it took forever and was kind of a chore. A lot of the facts in the book aren't that interesting -- I get the feeling that a lot were thrown in as filler to make it book-lengthed. Some of the facts that are interesting are not explained in enough detail; for example, "All male birds used to have penises. Now only 3 percent do. Among the minority are swans" (80). Uh, what? Sources are prov ...more
Ingrid
I had a delightful time uncovering some of the curiosities of the natural world. I like that the book is written in snippets, much like Snapple top facts, but there were a few occasions I wished the author would have elaborated. For example, Brown writes about Spanish scientists discovering that rodents could distinguish between Dutch and Japanese, but doesn't explain the nature of the experiments conducted to arrive at this conclusion. There was also another instance where Brown seemed to be an ...more
Katiekins
All of the nasty, gross, perverted factoids about animals you ever wanted to know. Presented without much context or explanation as to how scientists determined the emotional feelings of insects. Very entertaining.
Joanna
It's just a book of animal facts, but they're darn good facts. It says and I quote, "the sexiest parrots have fluorescent feathers . . . humans can't see the effect normally, but scientists realized it existed when they noticed some dead parrots gave off an eerie glow when placed under a fluorescent light." That's a pretty cool fact. The book also says kangaroos dig wells and sharks are immune to every known disease including cancer. Gosh, I love trivia.
Sally
Finding some interesting tidbits. And that's how it's organized: in tidbits. Predictably, I find the parenting chapters most interesting. And, because "gross is the new entertaining," (see Extreme Birds) I also learned that the male hippo, to "mark" his territory, can use his tail like a helicopter blade to fling his feces in quite a large circle, all while standing still. *sigh*
Anatoliy Biobox
книжка напомнила выпуск бесполезной детской энциклопедии "все обо всем" посвященный исключительно животным. фактически это просто сборник забавных фактов из жизни зверей. своеобразная книга рекордов. пользы от этой книжки мало, сгодится разве что в случае если нужно убить время. и да.. ответа на вопрос вынесенный в заглавие книги нет. почему панда стоит на голове - осталось загадкой ,)
Jfj
This is a cute easy read with little snippets and factoids about animals from all corners of the earth. Perfect for riding on the train, lunch breaks, or let's face it, the bathroom, it doesn't require brain power or a wide attention span. Some interesting information written in an easy to understand way.
Janet
My co-worker was reading this book and kept sharing tidbits of information until I decided I had to read it too. This would be a good book for anyone who enjoys little known facts and trivia. Fascinating, but a bit too comprehensive in parts.
Doris Cook
had this when grand daughter was visiting it was a fun book to read bits and peaces to each other.Read chapter titles and took turns reading and telling each other what struck us in chapter
Summer
Lots of fun trivia and factoids about animals, but there just wasn't enough substance for me. Every fact that was listed, I wanted to know a little bit more. It just left me wanting.
cat
from this book, i took away one fact that made the whole book worthwhile. what could that fact be, you ask? that herring communicate by farting! enough said. worth the whole read.
Delphia
I love anything educational and about animals. This book contains all sorts of interesting bits of knowledge in the form of humorous and easy to process nuggets.
Mary
All that stuff you never thougt to ask. Fun to have around and perfect for a short break this book has some trully enjoyable stuff about the animal world.
Steve
A bunch of goofy and fascinating facts about the animals? Umm yes, yes, and a thousand times yes.
Yuliya Kozheporova
Interesting facts about animals, for example, why panda is doing a head stand? :)
Peacegal
Here’s a fun little trivia collection that would make a cute gift for any animal lover.
Gilda
I learned a great deal about different animals in an easy, non-dry narrative.
Summer
Full of useless tidbits from the animal world. Sometimes extremely funny.
Miriam
Interesting factoids about animals. Perhaps not as well edited as it could be.
Jenny
Jenny marked it as to-read
Mar 24, 2015
Nick
Nick marked it as to-read
Feb 21, 2015
Michael
Michael marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • The Intellectual Devotional Biographies: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Acquaint Yourself with the World's Greatest Personalities
  • Brady, Brady, Brady: The Complete Story of The Brady Bunch as Told by the Father/Son Team who Really Know
  • If Ignorance Is Bliss, Why Aren't There More Happy People?: Smart Quotes for Dumb Times
  • Dance First, Think Later: 618 Rules to Live by
  • If I'd Known Then: Women in their 20s and 30s Write Letters to Their Younger Selves
  • Under the Covers and between the Sheets: Facts and Trivia about the World's Greatest Books
  • Oceana: Our Endangered Oceans and What We Can Do to Save Them
  • Viva la Repartee: Clever Comebacks and Witty Retorts from History's Great Wits and Wordsmiths
  • Poems by Currer, Ellis, and Acton Bell
  • Invertebrate Zoology
  • The Whale Warriors: The Battle at the Bottom of the World to Save the Planet's Largest Mammals
  • The Science of Jurassic Park and the Lost World, Or, How to Build a Dinosaur
  • Discarded Science: Ideas That Seemed Good at the Time...
  • The Lost Dinosaurs of Egypt