Start by marking “Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals” as Want to Read:
Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals

Why Pandas Do Handstands...: And Other Curious Truths About Animals

South American rats settle arguments by boxing. Tuna fish sunbathe and herring communicate with each other by breaking wind. Llamas hum to each other, elephants impersonate traffic sounds and whales sing ballads. Some kangaroos grow on trees.

Strange new, scientifically proven facts about the animal kingdom emerge seemingly every day. Here, gathered together in one book, ar
Published October 23rd 2006 by Bantam Press (first published 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Why Pandas Do Handstands..., please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Why Pandas Do Handstands...

Gabrielle W.
Feb 06, 2013 Gabrielle W. rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book contains a bunch of fun and fascinating facts about the animals. Some facts are but a sentence or two, while others are half a page. It's a joy to read-so long as you love trivia!
★ℕłℂØℓҾ★ (Nix)
Some of these facts had me laughing and others disgusted me but all were fascinating!
Dhe
Jan 02, 2012 Dhe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
l'autore è un non meglio precisato amante degli animali, attualmente vive a londra ma da piccolo ha vissuto in fattoria ed è sempre stato affascinato dagli animali e dalle loro stranezze. o almeno così racconta il libro, per quanto mi riguarda ho cercato notizie su di lui ma non ho trovato molto, è il suo primo e unico libro a quanto pare ed è stata una piacevola quanto variegata lettura.

come ben sapete sto attraversando un periodo di curiosità su animali e affini, e questo libro era fra gli alt
Hilary
Recently I attacked the non-fiction section of my library, focusing primarily upon the sections devoted to biology, zoology, and cognitive ethology. This was one of the stranger books I picked up there. It looked amusing enough, though not terribly indepth. The title made me laugh, and well, the cover left a bit be be desired... Unfortunately, so did the book.

This book was comprised of a series of lists of odd animal behaviors and why they might act that way. It was written in a conversational m
Falina
May 16, 2013 Falina rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I lost most of my interest in this pretty quickly, but remained *just* interested enough to finish it, though it took forever and was kind of a chore. A lot of the facts in the book aren't that interesting -- I get the feeling that a lot were thrown in as filler to make it book-lengthed. Some of the facts that are interesting are not explained in enough detail; for example, "All male birds used to have penises. Now only 3 percent do. Among the minority are swans" (80). Uh, what? Sources are prov ...more
Nathalie S
Jul 03, 2014 Nathalie S rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I though most animals, especially the cute ones, lived innocuous lives, seemingly free of human-like drama---don't you believe it. You will never look at the animal kingdom in the same way! This book also answered the puzzler of why my cat seems to find a treat placed directly in front of her with great difficulty. I always thought it was that cats don't have as good a sense of smell as dogs. This may be part of the answer, but the real answer is that cats can't see underneath their noses! As to ...more
Ingrid
Jan 31, 2011 Ingrid rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I had a delightful time uncovering some of the curiosities of the natural world. I like that the book is written in snippets, much like Snapple top facts, but there were a few occasions I wished the author would have elaborated. For example, Brown writes about Spanish scientists discovering that rodents could distinguish between Dutch and Japanese, but doesn't explain the nature of the experiments conducted to arrive at this conclusion. There was also another instance where Brown seemed to be an ...more
Joanna
Sep 03, 2009 Joanna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's just a book of animal facts, but they're darn good facts. It says and I quote, "the sexiest parrots have fluorescent feathers . . . humans can't see the effect normally, but scientists realized it existed when they noticed some dead parrots gave off an eerie glow when placed under a fluorescent light." That's a pretty cool fact. The book also says kangaroos dig wells and sharks are immune to every known disease including cancer. Gosh, I love trivia.
Anatoliy Biobox
книжка напомнила выпуск бесполезной детской энциклопедии "все обо всем" посвященный исключительно животным. фактически это просто сборник забавных фактов из жизни зверей. своеобразная книга рекордов. пользы от этой книжки мало, сгодится разве что в случае если нужно убить время. и да.. ответа на вопрос вынесенный в заглавие книги нет. почему панда стоит на голове - осталось загадкой ,)
Sally
Oct 13, 2008 Sally rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-nature
Finding some interesting tidbits. And that's how it's organized: in tidbits. Predictably, I find the parenting chapters most interesting. And, because "gross is the new entertaining," (see Extreme Birds) I also learned that the male hippo, to "mark" his territory, can use his tail like a helicopter blade to fling his feces in quite a large circle, all while standing still. *sigh*
Jfj
Mar 05, 2013 Jfj rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a cute easy read with little snippets and factoids about animals from all corners of the earth. Perfect for riding on the train, lunch breaks, or let's face it, the bathroom, it doesn't require brain power or a wide attention span. Some interesting information written in an easy to understand way.
Janet Windeguth
My co-worker was reading this book and kept sharing tidbits of information until I decided I had to read it too. This would be a good book for anyone who enjoys little known facts and trivia. Fascinating, but a bit too comprehensive in parts.
Bookista
All of the nasty, gross, perverted factoids about animals you ever wanted to know. Presented without much context or explanation as to how scientists determined the emotional feelings of insects. Very entertaining.
Жанна Пояркова
Из этой книги я узнала про альфа- и омега-омаров, которых каждую ночь выволакивают из их норок. А значит она бесценна.

Однако в целом это просто сборник увлекательных фактов о животных, сгруппированных по разным поп-тематикам.
Miriam
Oct 08, 2009 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: naturalworld
Interesting factoids about animals. Perhaps not as well edited as it could be.
Mary
Aug 22, 2008 Mary rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
All that stuff you never thougt to ask. Fun to have around and perfect for a short break this book has some trully enjoyable stuff about the animal world.
Summer
Oct 25, 2011 Summer rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, zoology
Lots of fun trivia and factoids about animals, but there just wasn't enough substance for me. Every fact that was listed, I wanted to know a little bit more. It just left me wanting.
Yuliya Kozheporova
Interesting facts about animals, for example, why panda is doing a head stand? :)
Steve
Feb 03, 2012 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: physiology, science
A bunch of goofy and fascinating facts about the animals? Umm yes, yes, and a thousand times yes.
Doris Cook
had this when grand daughter was visiting it was a fun book to read bits and peaces to each other.Read chapter titles and took turns reading and telling each other what struck us in chapter
Delphia
Apr 02, 2013 Delphia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love anything educational and about animals. This book contains all sorts of interesting bits of knowledge in the form of humorous and easy to process nuggets.
Summer
Aug 14, 2007 Summer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: educational
Full of useless tidbits from the animal world. Sometimes extremely funny.
cat
Jul 08, 2007 cat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
from this book, i took away one fact that made the whole book worthwhile. what could that fact be, you ask? that herring communicate by farting! enough said. worth the whole read.
Gilda
Aug 08, 2013 Gilda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I learned a great deal about different animals in an easy, non-dry narrative.
Steven
Steven rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2014
Marissa
Marissa rated it it was ok
Aug 05, 2011
Kelly Flanagan
Kelly Flanagan rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2016
Martin
Martin rated it it was amazing
Aug 16, 2012
Phil Bouncer
Phil Bouncer rated it it was amazing
Dec 11, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • The Intellectual Devotional Biographies: Revive Your Mind, Complete Your Education, and Acquaint Yourself with the World's Greatest Personalities
  • Oceana: Our Endangered Oceans and What We Can Do to Save Them
  • Why Elephants Have Big Ears: And Other Riddles from the Natural World
  • Moments: Pulitzer Prize-Winning Photographs: A Visual Chronicle of Our Time
  • Principles of Genetics
  • Clean Cuisine: An 8-Week Anti-Inflammatory Diet that Will Change the Way You Age, Look & Feel
  • Science Of Jurassic Park And The Lost World: Or, How To Build A Dinosaur
  • Barcelona & Catalonia
  • A Short Guide to Writing About Biology
  • The Cooperative Gene: How Mendel's Demon Explains the Evolution of Complex Beings
  • Grave Secrets of Dinosaurs: Soft Tissues and Hard Science
  • Funny Letters from Famous People
  • Abnormal Psychology
  • Brady, Brady, Brady: The Complete Story of The Brady Bunch as Told by the Father/Son Team who Really Know
  • Corrupted Science: Fraud, Ideology and Politics in Science