Start by marking “The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland” as Want to Read:
The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland

The Real America: Messages from the Heart and Heartland

There are some things people think but don't say....

"Political correctness is the classic Great Idea Gone Wrong. All it's done is shut us up. It hasn't changed anybody's mind. It hasn't changed our hearts. It's changed our faces. It's taken every opinion we have, it's taken every joke we have, and it's forced us to conceal it and hide it and bury it. It's made us superfici
Published June 20th 2008 by Pocket Books (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about The Real America, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Real America

Teresa
Mar 24, 2008 Teresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was wonderful! Glenn just hits the nail on the head for so many different topics. What he brings to the table just MAKES SENSE. Why can't our country's leaders just make sense? I think this book is SO much better than his new 2007 one. I especially loved his thoughts on the Church and his conversion story at the end of the book. A must read!
Kirt
Nov 03, 2009 Kirt rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: current-events
If you like Glen Beck, you will REALLY love this audio book. If you absolutely loath him, well... give it 30 minutes and see if you aren't ready to cut him some slack. I don't always enjoy his radio rants -- sometimes a little edgy and often pretty wacky -- but I have always appreciated him as an intelligent and entertainingly articulate conservative spokesman. More often than not, I side with his views. In this little book, I sensed a man with out guile who IS what he says he is. Is he a "sick, ...more
Christy
Gold, circumstance, and mud. It’s all here, in Glenn Beck’s first book. Let’s start at the bottom, with the mud. He thinks everything should be “made in America,” but why? Millions of Chinese are living better because they can work in factories instead of carrying buckets on their shoulders, and we‘re living better because products are cheaper. How is that unpatriotic? Next, circumstance. Glenn Beck’s prose is pretty ordinary. Being a success on the radio doesn’t make you a writer. But now for t ...more
Tim Dorman
Doran Barton
Mar 25, 2008 Doran Barton rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stop laughing, already. So, when I ordered something like six copies of "An Inconvenient Book," I went ahead and bought a copy of Glenn's previous book, "The Real America," which was written before I became turned on... uhm... exposed to Glenn (2003).

The Real America I enjoyed "The Real America" more than "An Inconvenient Book" because it's more about values and contains more personal history from Glenn about his battle to overcome alcoholism, his conversion to a member of the LDS church, meetin
Jeff Stockett
Feb 03, 2010 Jeff Stockett rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: political
I really enjoyed this book. This might be my favorite of Glenn Beck's books that I've read so far. It's all about what he terms "The Real America". It's about an America where we take care of each other and we're not selfish. It's about an America that we don't idolize celebrities just because they're in movies. It's about an America where we have faith in God more than faith in government.

I want to live in the Real America that Glenn describes. I feel like my local community is that America, bu
Rebekah
I loved this book. I also love Glenn Beck. This book is a good introduction to his writing but you can really get a lot more out of it and understand his humor if you've heard his radio show. Nonetheless a goodread I would recommend to anyone. Whether you like politics or not. The chapter on Tolerance really sent me on an evaluation of whether or not I could still listen to GB. The chapter on terrorism seemed to drag on a little and it was easy to get lost unless you know alot of the NAMES in th ...more
Leigh
Sep 26, 2009 Leigh rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For a nonfiction book about America and what is going on in our country politically, this was a very fast and entertaining read! Glenn Beck is humorous and very sarcastic, which I love! He calls it like it is and owns up to his own mistakes and junk too. A very authentic and real person, which is so unusual to find these days.

The topics he discusses are well researched and backed up with solid facts. The most interesting thing about reading this book in 2009 is that he wrote it 4-5 years ago an
Kate
Mar 11, 2010 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am not necessarily a fan of his talk-radio show, but this book was MUCH better. I appreciate his research on topics, his willingness to say "yep, I use to be this way, but that's not me anymore." He used to be an egotistical drunk, hit rock bottom, and decided to change his life.
I LOVE his approach on personal responsibility! If the world would simple own up to their own actions, so many problems would fix themselves. Just have some integrity, for pete's sake.
He really hits the nail on the h
John
If you know next to nothing about conservative thought and are looking for a place to begin, this would do the trick nicely. Most readers, though, will probably view Beck's arguments here as being altogether too obvious and simple. It's not a very intellectual book, but it did inspire me to envision a more positive outlook for America's future. A lot of the book is autobiographical, and it retains a certain whimsical flavor that makes it a bit sappy at times. A very forgettable effort, but not a ...more
Wendi
I have never listened to him on the radio but started reading this book because of The Overton Window. He has a lot of salient points about the direction of the country and our tendency to want to blame others for our actions.

Liking this book a lot more than one I tried by Michael Savage. That man was just full of hate and anger. I told my husband I did not think he should listen to him on the radio any more either. He said some true things but his words in the book were just so full of negativ
Jean
Nov 01, 2008 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Jean by: Mark and Natalie
This book was written in 2003, and is in some ways a little dated politically, but the principles still apply. Glenn Beck is both humorous and annoying, spiritual and irreverent, serious and nonsensical. But he does make you think about things. He is not a republican or a democrat but always a conservative politically. Most of the time I agree with what he is saying, but you have to wade through the silliness to get to it. That is what makes him good on the radio, like he says, sometimes you hav ...more
Erica Krueger
Jan 02, 2011 Erica Krueger rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting book. Got me thinking on a lot of things. I agree with him on most of what he says. I like his style, although definitely different than what I'm used to. I liked how he brought the huge, complex concepts and issues of the Middle East down to my level and used analogies so I could understand it a bit better. He's definitely a naturally intelligent guy.
Sheree
Jun 30, 2012 Sheree rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I wasn't sure how I felt about Glenn Beck when I started reading this book, but by the end, I decided that even though I may not like his brash approach to certain topics, the words he speaks are true. This book was written in 2003, so politically it is very outdated, but I found it very interesting and it inspired me to do my part to become "a real American".
Aimee
Feb 16, 2009 Aimee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is written in the blunt style that is Glenn Beck's specialty. He is funny, candid, and straightforward in addressing problems that are keeping America from becoming a truly great nation. Many of these problems are things you and I can address by being better people. I think it is worth a read, even if you aren't a fan. We can all work together to make our nation a better place to live.
Melanie
After reading this I recommitted myself to being the kind of neighbor and friend I always hope to find. This was a push to organize a block party and get to know my neighbors better. I enjoyed the background info. Beck shares about his conversion to the gospel. Does seem a little random / not the most put together thoughts, but this is Beck's style.
Lyndsay
Apr 30, 2008 Lyndsay rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great book, introduction to Glenn. It's been a few years since I read it so I don't remember that much about it, though, but I love his conversion story and how much effort he put into finding the true gospel.
Marilyn
Aug 06, 2009 Marilyn rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Marilyn by: Christy Ackerson
I liked his ideas about what the real America should be, and isn't, today. I enjoyed the story of his conversion to the LDS church. He has contempt for the fake ideas of political correctness that are forced on us.
Nanette
Oct 05, 2009 Nanette rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. Glenn Beck boldly speaks out and uses much humor. I think his book spends too much time telling why he's Morman, though. Overall, he gave me much to think about and reaffirmed many principles of capitalism.
Maureen
If you are a Glenn Beck junkie then this is a must read of all his books. He is just so spot-on with what he writes and talks about. Depending on your mind set this is one I would say should top your list.
Rebecca King
Just cracking it open - was lent to me by an older gentleman who thought I might enjoy it. We'll find out shortly!

LOVED some of the chapters. Was bored in others. Generally I would highly recommend it, though. Refreshing, easy read of some worth-hearing opinions!
Pat
Jan 20, 2009 Pat rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The last two chapters of his book were excellent. The chapter on the middle east was great the rest kind of rambles on. He lays his heart out in parts of the book. In other parts his radio show is better. I still want to give it a high rating because of his conversion story.
Colleen
Dec 01, 2011 Colleen marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Before Reading: I found this book in my dad's collection. I'm not a fan of Mr. Beck (frankly, I find him annoying and a bit stupid), but I figure I'll give him a chance with one of his books. Plus, it doesn't hurt to know your enemy.
Tyler
Dec 31, 2007 Tyler rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what to think of this one. On one hand, he is a very intelligent and hilarious person. On another, his unfocused writing style is a roadblock to the reader. What he has to say is good, but how he says it isn't very effective.
Jimmy
Apr 16, 2010 Jimmy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this guy is down to earth and calls poeple out on their bs.. time to shape up america! " why do we need warnings on snow blowers to not take them on your house roof" or "do not eat the packing peanuts in a fedex box" our grandparents didnt need these warning labels.
Jon
Dec 19, 2008 Jon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I honestly can't remember if I read this in 2007 or earlier. I do remember that it was a good read, however. Just as its title indicates it's full of stories from real Americans, stories from the heartland. Good stuff.
Marty
Oct 15, 2009 Marty rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
GB really is a fun read in what ever book he writes. However, while I liked this book, the parts that I throughly read, I find that most political books usually have the same theme which makes them a quick read. This was no exception. But The Christmas Sweater WAS NOT like this.
Caroline Wray
Jan 07, 2016 Caroline Wray rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book promoting the ideals and moral fiber our country needs and can, return to. easy and enjoyable, I looked forward to reading it each day. I listened to an unedited, audible version checked out from my library..
Rebecca
May 19, 2015 Rebecca rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audio, 2015, political
He makes some very interesting points. As always, he is thought provoking if you can put up with him, he is worth reading.
Evelyn
Dec 07, 2009 Evelyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The America I grew up in, the America I love, is no more. I want it back.
  • Let Freedom Ring: Winning the War of Liberty over Liberalism
  • Slander: Liberal Lies About the American Right
  • The Way Things Ought to Be
  • Fleeced: How Barack Obama, Media Mockery of Terrorist Threats, Liberals Who Want to Kill Talk Radio, the Do-Nothing Congress, Companies That Help Iran, and Washington Lobbyists for Foreign Governments Are Scamming Us ... and What to Do About It
  • Arrogance: Rescuing America From The Media Elite
  • Woodrow Wilson and the Roots of Modern Liberalism
  • The Enemy Within: Saving America from the Liberal Assault on Our Schools, Faith, and Military
  • Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks, and Cronies
  • The No Spin Zone: Confrontations with the Powerful and Famous in America
  • The Real Benjamin Franklin (Vol. 2 of the American Classic Series)
  • Birth Control Is Sinful in the Christian Marriages and Also Robbing God of Priesthood Children!!
  • The Obama Diaries
Glenn Edward Lee Beck is one of America's leading radio and television personalities. His quick wit, candid opinions and engaging personality have made The Glenn Beck Program the third highest rated radio program in America and Glenn Beck, one of the most successful new shows on the Fox News Channel. His unique blend of modern-day storytelling and insightful views on current events allowed him to ...more
More about Glenn Beck...