Start by marking “The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)” as Want to Read:
The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)

The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)

3.84 of 5 stars 3.84  ·  rating details  ·  116 ratings  ·  15 reviews
When the dragon Jaax receives word that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he doesn’t dare believe it. Humans have been extinct for centuries, trapped by a terrible curse and left to live out their existence in the form of dragons. Despite his doubts, however, Jaax assumes responsibility for the baby girl only to discover that what he has been seek ...more
Published June 20th 2009

To ask other readers questions about The Finding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finding

Gerold Whittaker
Dec 18, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA, if you love dragons, centaurs, goblins, trolls, unicorns etc.
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
I received this via the "eBook Giveaways discussion" on Goodreads.

Humans have been extinct for centuries so when the dragon Jaax hears that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he takes her away to Ethöes - a place he considers to be safe - where the old dragon, Hroombra can keep an eye on her. However, unknown to Jaax, someone - or something - is watching him - and the infant....

The book is full of very descriptive phrases, for example: "A single road twined through the v
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Humans were thought to be extinct. Victims of a curse that turns them into dragons, Jaxx is surprised to find a human infant in the province of Oescienne. Despite his misgivings about her appearance and what this could mean for an ancient prophecy that could break the curse on the humans forever, he assumes responsibility for her.

Raised by her mother and her dragon mentor, Jaxx, Jahrra knows all about the legends and sagas of Oescienne. When she gets to sch
A.B. Shepherd
Did you watch the first Lord of the Rings movie and just sit there stunned at the ending which had no conclusion like I did? That is kind of how I felt about this book.

This is a fantasy story that appears to be written for pre-teens. It is the story of Jahrra, a human child born in a time when humans are extinct because the human race was changed into a race of dragons due to a curse.

We watch Jahrra grow from infancy to about age 12 in this first book in the series. She is raised as a Nesnan an
Tracey Alley
I absolutely adore Jenna Johnson's dragons. For them alone I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers but the story is also wonderfully entertaining and an excellent read.

I finished this book last night and can only say it was absolutely wonderful. Jenna has created a truly remarkable world and I can't wait to read the next one.... Very highly recommended.
Eileen Cunliffe
I couldn't finish it. Dragged on and on with blathering and laborious details having nothing to do with the story... seemingly written in to lengthen the book.
Susan
I found it hard to really dive into this book at times but I'm glad I continued reading to the end. Although the storyline dragged at times the author set the stage well for future books in the series.

The age of humans has passed yet the prophecies tell of a human that will come to save them all. This story begins with the birth of a human child. Where she came from is unknown but she is taken by the dragon, Jaax, to a place where she can grow up in safety until the time is at hand where she wi
Nila
A remarkable dragon story for YA and teens, if you enjoy the Eragon book series by Christopher paolini, you love this series!! Jenna Elizabeth Johnson also does all her own art work to go with the books, and is very generous to her followers on social media with giveaways, treats and gifts!!
Jahrra a human is born into a world where humans are extinct and is raised by her adoptive parents and her beloved Dragon Hoombra, mentor. The majority of the story revolves around Jahrra growing up, her prob
Erin
I enjoyed this book an it's a good start to the series.

Jahrra a human is born into a world where humans are extinct and is raised by her adoptive parents and her beloved Dragon (Hoombra) mentor. The majority of the story revolves around Jahrra growing up, her trials with the bullies at school and her friendships. She is being raised as a nesium and does not know she is human. By the end of the book she is starting to question her extra lessons and why they are so important.

There is not the act
Pamela
This was definitely a hard book to get into but I refused to give in and kept on. This story is about the coming of a human child who will help to save the world. It has dragons, my favorite that's why I wanted to read this, but not all the dragons are what they seem. Some have been changed by an evil presence to be dragons from human form. The story centers around Jahrra as she grows. I won't give away any more details about the plot. This author has a unique perspective and writing technique. ...more
Kathy
I very much liked the book, enough to read the next one. This is a local writer who I have met. May not have read it otherwise just because there are so many good books. But I've been a sucker for dragon stories since the Pern novels. I want a fire lizard!
Amber
Amanda
knowing nothing about this story going in, except that I liked the authors other stores, I didn't realize it was about a young girl. The world is interesting with the sense of building for a long tale. There's still so much left to find out, it only touches and hints at what's really going on but there's enough to be intriguing.
Lisa Pitts
The entire Legend of Oescienne series is one of my favorites of all times!!! Love them all!!! Great character and place descriptions and I cannot wait for the rest of the series to be published!!! Love all the books by the author!!!
Ray
Picked this book up as it was traveling through the area. Interesting characters and very easy to read. Ending left in an awkward spot, however, it is making me want to find and read the remaining books in the series.
Sally
It was good. The author seems (to me) to start off slowly with the first books in her series. The pace seems to pick up in subsequent books.
Chris
Chris marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2015
Danka
Danka marked it as to-read
Jul 01, 2015
Sherri Thompson
Sherri Thompson marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2015
Al Hunt
Al Hunt marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2015
Madison Allen
Madison Allen marked it as to-read
Taylor
Taylor marked it as to-read
Carrie
Carrie marked it as to-read
Rachel Winsor
Rachel Winsor marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Blow Pop
Blow Pop marked it as to-read
May 17, 2015
Angelia
Angelia marked it as to-read
May 15, 2015
  • Waiting Game
  • Killing with the Edge of the Moon
  • Dragon Soul
  • The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw (Morgan Sisters, #1)
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
  • A Touch of Magic
  • Oracle's Legacy: Children of Sun (Book 1)
  • Alexandria
  • City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy, #1)
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • Unquiet Slumber (Blue Fire, #1)
  • First Kiss
  • Balance of Fate (Delver Magic, #3)
  • An Oath of the Blood (Island Shifters, #1)
  • Moonsong
  • Forever Young (The Forever Land Chronicles, #1)
  • The Shadowbearer (Aegis of The Gods, #1.5)
  • Severed (Starwalkers Serial #1)
Jenna Elizabeth Johnson has cherished her imagination since the day she discovered it (probably around the age of two) and has enjoyed the many adventures and retreats it has offered her since. Miss Johnson grew up and still resides on the Central Coast of California, the very place where the Legend of Oescienne began to blossom into the epic it has become. "The province of Oescienne is based prim ...more
More about Jenna Elizabeth Johnson...

The Legend of Oescienne (3 books)
  • The Beginning (The Legend of Oescienne, #2)
  • The Awakening (The Legend of Oescienne, #3)
Faelorehn (The Otherworld Trilogy, #1) Dolmarehn (The Otherworld Trilogy, #2) Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #3) Ehriad: A Novella of the Otherworld (The Otherworld Trilogy #1.5) The Otherworld Trilogy: Faelorehn / Dolmarehn / Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #1-3)