The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)

The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)

3.91 of 5 stars 3.91  ·  rating details  ·  67 ratings  ·  13 reviews
When the dragon Jaax receives word that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he doesn’t dare believe it. Humans have been extinct for centuries, trapped by a terrible curse and left to live out their existence in the form of dragons. Despite his doubts, however, Jaax assumes responsibility for the baby girl only to discover that what he has been seek...more
Published June 20th 2009

Gerold Whittaker
Dec 18, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA, if you love dragons, centaurs, goblins, trolls, unicorns etc.
Shelves: ebook, fantasy
I received this via the "eBook Giveaways discussion" on Goodreads.

Humans have been extinct for centuries so when the dragon Jaax hears that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he takes her away to Ethöes - a place he considers to be safe - where the old dragon, Hroombra can keep an eye on her. However, unknown to Jaax, someone - or something - is watching him - and the infant....

The book is full of very descriptive phrases, for example: "A single road twined through the v...more
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Humans were thought to be extinct. Victims of a curse that turns them into dragons, Jaxx is surprised to find a human infant in the province of Oescienne. Despite his misgivings about her appearance and what this could mean for an ancient prophecy that could break the curse on the humans forever, he assumes responsibility for her.

Raised by her mother and her dragon mentor, Jaxx, Jahrra knows all about the legends and sagas of Oescienne. When she gets to sch...more
A.B. Shepherd
Did you watch the first Lord of the Rings movie and just sit there stunned at the ending which had no conclusion like I did? That is kind of how I felt about this book.

This is a fantasy story that appears to be written for pre-teens. It is the story of Jahrra, a human child born in a time when humans are extinct because the human race was changed into a race of dragons due to a curse.

We watch Jahrra grow from infancy to about age 12 in this first book in the series. She is raised as a Nesnan an...more
Tracey Alley
I absolutely adore Jenna Johnson's dragons. For them alone I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers but the story is also wonderfully entertaining and an excellent read.

I finished this book last night and can only say it was absolutely wonderful. Jenna has created a truly remarkable world and I can't wait to read the next one.... Very highly recommended.
Winter
Feb 24, 2010 Winter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Harry Potter fans and others that like fantasy!
Recommended to Winter by: I found it partly through kindleboard, partly by myself.
This is an excellent book! It is the first in a series, and I really enjoyed it. Recommended for Harry Potter fans and others that like fantasy. I bought it for my Kindle, and I read it in five days. Looking forward to the next one which I think will be out in not to long a time!
Eileen Cunliffe
I couldn't finish it. Dragged on and on with blathering and laborious details having nothing to do with the story... seemingly written in to lengthen the book.
Susan
I found it hard to really dive into this book at times but I'm glad I continued reading to the end. Although the storyline dragged at times the author set the stage well for future books in the series.

The age of humans has passed yet the prophecies tell of a human that will come to save them all. This story begins with the birth of a human child. Where she came from is unknown but she is taken by the dragon, Jaax, to a place where she can grow up in safety until the time is at hand where she wi...more
Erin
I enjoyed this book an it's a good start to the series.

Jahrra a human is born into a world where humans are extinct and is raised by her adoptive parents and her beloved Dragon (Hoombra) mentor. The majority of the story revolves around Jahrra growing up, her trials with the bullies at school and her friendships. She is being raised as a nesium and does not know she is human. By the end of the book she is starting to question her extra lessons and why they are so important.

There is not the act...more
Amanda
knowing nothing about this story going in, except that I liked the authors other stores, I didn't realize it was about a young girl. The world is interesting with the sense of building for a long tale. There's still so much left to find out, it only touches and hints at what's really going on but there's enough to be intriguing.
Pamela
This was definitely a hard book to get into but I refused to give in and kept on. This story is about the coming of a human child who will help to save the world. It has dragons, my favorite that's why I wanted to read this, but not all the dragons are what they seem. Some have been changed by an evil presence to be dragons from human form. The story centers around Jahrra as she grows. I won't give away any more details about the plot. This author has a unique perspective and writing technique....more
Lisa Pitts
The entire Legend of Oescienne series is one of my favorites of all times!!! Love them all!!! Great character and place descriptions and I cannot wait for the rest of the series to be published!!! Love all the books by the author!!!
Ray
Picked this book up as it was traveling through the area. Interesting characters and very easy to read. Ending left in an awkward spot, however, it is making me want to find and read the remaining books in the series.
Sally
It was good. The author seems (to me) to start off slowly with the first books in her series. The pace seems to pick up in subsequent books.
N Insley
N Insley marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Nila
Nila marked it as to-read
Jun 27, 2014
Natasha Vertz
Natasha Vertz marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Lady Ozma
Lady Ozma marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2014
Kim Gardner
Kim Gardner marked it as to-read
Jun 19, 2014
Randell Gresham
Randell Gresham marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
Terry
Terry marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2014
Kali
Kali marked it as to-read
Jun 06, 2014
Shelby
Shelby added it
Jun 06, 2014
Jennifer Priester
Jennifer Priester marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
Jenna Elizabeth Johnson has cherished her imagination since the day she discovered it (probably around the age of two) and has enjoyed the many adventures and retreats it has offered her since. Miss Johnson grew up and still resides on the Central Coast of California, the very place where the Legend of Oescienne began to blossom into the epic it has become. "The province of Oescienne is based prim...more
More about Jenna Elizabeth Johnson...
Faelorehn (The Otherworld Trilogy, #1) Dolmarehn (The Otherworld Trilogy, #2) Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #3) Ehriad: A Novella of the Otherworld (The Otherworld Trilogy #1.5) The Otherworld Trilogy: Faelorehn / Dolmarehn / Luathara (The Otherworld Trilogy #1-3)