Start by marking “The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)” as Want to Read:
The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne #1)

The Finding (The Legend of Oescienne, #1)

When the dragon Jaax receives word that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he doesn’t dare believe it. Humans have been extinct for centuries, trapped by a terrible curse and left to live out their existence in the form of dragons. Despite his doubts, however, Jaax assumes responsibility for the baby girl only to discover that what he has been seek ...more
Published June 20th 2009

To ask other readers questions about The Finding, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Finding

Eileen Cunliffe
Jun 14, 2013 Eileen Cunliffe rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't finish it. Dragged on and on with blathering and laborious details having nothing to do with the story... seemingly written in to lengthen the book.
Gerold Whittaker
Dec 08, 2011 Gerold Whittaker rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YA, if you love dragons, centaurs, goblins, trolls, unicorns etc.
Shelves: fantasy, ebook
I received this via the "eBook Giveaways discussion" on Goodreads.

Humans have been extinct for centuries so when the dragon Jaax hears that a human infant has been found in the province of Oescienne, he takes her away to Ethöes - a place he considers to be safe - where the old dragon, Hroombra can keep an eye on her. However, unknown to Jaax, someone - or something - is watching him - and the infant....

The book is full of very descriptive phrases, for example: "A single road twined through the v
Teri Miller
Feb 24, 2016 Teri Miller rated it really liked it
Good start to what seems to be a promising series.

I like stories with intelligent creatures, especially dragons, so I was naturally drawn to this book. I did like it and intend to read the rest. My only complaint is that it really drags in parts. The descriptions of houses, etc. while minutely interesting, doesn't carry the story forward. Things I would be more interested in are not addressed at all. How/what do Jaharra and Hoombra eat, who cooks and how? It mentions bread and cheese, but not ho
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Kira M for TeensReadToo.com

Humans were thought to be extinct. Victims of a curse that turns them into dragons, Jaxx is surprised to find a human infant in the province of Oescienne. Despite his misgivings about her appearance and what this could mean for an ancient prophecy that could break the curse on the humans forever, he assumes responsibility for her.

Raised by her mother and her dragon mentor, Jaxx, Jahrra knows all about the legends and sagas of Oescienne. When she gets to sch
A.B. Shepherd
Did you watch the first Lord of the Rings movie and just sit there stunned at the ending which had no conclusion like I did? That is kind of how I felt about this book.

This is a fantasy story that appears to be written for pre-teens. It is the story of Jahrra, a human child born in a time when humans are extinct because the human race was changed into a race of dragons due to a curse.

We watch Jahrra grow from infancy to about age 12 in this first book in the series. She is raised as a Nesnan an
Tracey Alley
Jun 08, 2010 Tracey Alley rated it it was amazing
I absolutely adore Jenna Johnson's dragons. For them alone I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers but the story is also wonderfully entertaining and an excellent read.

I finished this book last night and can only say it was absolutely wonderful. Jenna has created a truly remarkable world and I can't wait to read the next one.... Very highly recommended.
Winter
May 06, 2016 Winter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-read
4 Stars

Fun start on a fantasy series. It introduces the characters and the world. As it is Jahrra’s earliest years it is more middle grade here.
Susan
Apr 21, 2013 Susan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found it hard to really dive into this book at times but I'm glad I continued reading to the end. Although the storyline dragged at times the author set the stage well for future books in the series.

The age of humans has passed yet the prophecies tell of a human that will come to save them all. This story begins with the birth of a human child. Where she came from is unknown but she is taken by the dragon, Jaax, to a place where she can grow up in safety until the time is at hand where she wi
Erin
I enjoyed this book an it's a good start to the series.

Jahrra a human is born into a world where humans are extinct and is raised by her adoptive parents and her beloved Dragon (Hoombra) mentor. The majority of the story revolves around Jahrra growing up, her trials with the bullies at school and her friendships. She is being raised as a nesium and does not know she is human. By the end of the book she is starting to question her extra lessons and why they are so important.

There is not the act
Caprice
Feb 24, 2016 Caprice rated it it was amazing
Engrossing, enjoyable read

I got this book free on Amazon. I wasn't expecting much, since many of the free books I find are mediocre at best. However this book is definitely much better than I expected and left me wanting to read more.

I hate spoilers, so I will just say that this is the story of the childhood of the only human being on the planet, the one who has been the subject of prophecy for thousands of years. Since she's the one who the entire future of the good guys rests on, she is taken
Nila
Jun 27, 2014 Nila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A remarkable dragon story for YA and teens, if you enjoy the Eragon book series by Christopher paolini, you love this series!! Jenna Elizabeth Johnson also does all her own art work to go with the books, and is very generous to her followers on social media with giveaways, treats and gifts!!
Jahrra a human is born into a world where humans are extinct and is raised by her adoptive parents and her beloved Dragon Hoombra, mentor. The majority of the story revolves around Jahrra growing up, her prob
Pamela
Aug 31, 2013 Pamela rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was definitely a hard book to get into but I refused to give in and kept on. This story is about the coming of a human child who will help to save the world. It has dragons, my favorite that's why I wanted to read this, but not all the dragons are what they seem. Some have been changed by an evil presence to be dragons from human form. The story centers around Jahrra as she grows. I won't give away any more details about the plot. This author has a unique perspective and writing technique. ...more
Janet L. Hage
Aug 18, 2016 Janet L. Hage rated it it was amazing
Most excellent beginning

Tale of a young savior born to protect the world from an evil king. This human girl is raised by elf/humans and dragons. She is surrounded by elves and all folk tale people and creatures. Creative writing with well-developed characterization. It is a must read for the Harry Potter fan base.
Amanda
Mar 03, 2014 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2014
knowing nothing about this story going in, except that I liked the authors other stores, I didn't realize it was about a young girl. The world is interesting with the sense of building for a long tale. There's still so much left to find out, it only touches and hints at what's really going on but there's enough to be intriguing.
PapaTrain
Jul 14, 2016 PapaTrain rated it really liked it
Fun read,

I enjoyed this book immensely and plan on reading the rest of the series. I gave it 4 of 5 stars only because I can not feel a difference in the various sapiens. My minds landscape cannot picture elves and dragons when they behave and react exactly as humans do, with the possible exception of the Tanaan dragons but after several centuries that is even a stretch.
Amber Carroll
Kathy
Nov 11, 2014 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I very much liked the book, enough to read the next one. This is a local writer who I have met. May not have read it otherwise just because there are so many good books. But I've been a sucker for dragon stories since the Pern novels. I want a fire lizard!
Thomas Maher
Jul 11, 2016 Thomas Maher rated it it was amazing
Very well written

This was an awesome adventure book and many sad and happy points in the book. You just got to love the dragons and their knowledge :). Will be reading/listening to book 2 soon.
Lisa Pitts
Mar 16, 2013 Lisa Pitts rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The entire Legend of Oescienne series is one of my favorites of all times!!! Love them all!!! Great character and place descriptions and I cannot wait for the rest of the series to be published!!! Love all the books by the author!!!
Ray
Apr 01, 2013 Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed
Picked this book up as it was traveling through the area. Interesting characters and very easy to read. Ending left in an awkward spot, however, it is making me want to find and read the remaining books in the series.
william  Goodrow
Mar 03, 2016 william Goodrow rated it it was amazing
The Legend of Oescienne

Pretty cool , how the story begins from birth to adolescent growing towards her future. I look forward to the next chapter in her future.
Jean Gardham
May 11, 2016 Jean Gardham rated it it was amazing
Fantasy at its very best level

Really good read with a good plot and shows a great understanding of emotions and reactions by other characters in the tale
Sally
Sep 12, 2012 Sally rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was good. The author seems (to me) to start off slowly with the first books in her series. The pace seems to pick up in subsequent books.
mindy schueneman
mindy schueneman rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2014
Linda Engdahl
Linda Engdahl rated it really liked it
Jul 30, 2014
Donna
Donna rated it really liked it
Mar 09, 2016
Jarred
Jarred rated it really liked it
May 26, 2016
Wolfrott
Wolfrott rated it really liked it
Oct 22, 2015
Josh Cooley
Josh Cooley rated it really liked it
Jul 16, 2016
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it it was amazing
Sep 08, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • Killing with the Edge of the Moon
  • Waiting Game
  • Dragon Soul
  • Children of Sun (Oracles Legacy Trilogy, #1)
  • A Touch of Magic
  • The Ghost of Josiah Grimshaw (Morgan Sisters, #1)
  • Adam's Flight
  • City of Rogues (The Kobalos Trilogy, #1)
  • Above All Else
  • The Arrival
  • The Key of Kilenya (Kilenya #1)
  • The First Dragoneer (The Dragoneers Saga, #0)
  • Stealing the Dragon (The Dragon's Hoard, #3)
  • The Shadowbearer (Aegis of The Gods, #1.5)
  • The Only Option (Dubious #4)
  • Alexandria
  • Redheart (Leland Dragon #1)
  • The Black God’s War: A Novella Introducing a new Epic Fantasy
Jenna Elizabeth Johnson is a best-selling, multi-award winning author of Fantasy and Young Adult Paranormal Romance.

Jenna has cherished her imagination since the day she discovered it (probably around the age of two) and has enjoyed the many adventures and retreats it has offered her since. Miss Johnson grew up and still resides on the Central Coast of California, the very place where the Legend
More about Jenna Elizabeth Johnson...

The Legend of Oescienne, (3 books)
  • The Beginning (The Legend of Oescienne, #2)
  • The Awakening (The Legend of Oescienne, #3)

“teaching math was convoluted and confusing, his grammar lessons could bore a statue to tears, and when it came to Ethoen history and mythology, Jahrra often found herself tempted to launch her pen at him.  He never got anything right, often obscuring facts or making heroes out to be twisted or idiotic.  Jahrra usually went into daydream mode during his lectures, but one day his lesson was so outrageous she couldn’t even lose herself in her own thoughts. “I wish we didn’t have such an awful teacher,” Gieaun groaned as they streamed out of the stuffy classroom on their final day of school. “I” 0 likes