Start by marking “Alphabet Adventure” as Want to Read:
Alphabet Adventure

Alphabet Adventure

A best-selling author collaborates with her son on this ABC book that tells the story of an alphabet setting off to teach a young student his letters. But along the way, the lowercase letter "i" loses her dot. Readers can look back through the pages to find the dot hidden in every illustration. Full-color illustrations.
Published August 1st 2001 by Blue Sky Press

To ask other readers questions about Alphabet Adventure, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alphabet Adventure

Kelly
Sep 10, 2012 Kelly rated it did not like it
Shelves: kidslit-645
Illustrated by Bruce Wood. I believe I'm in the minority by not liking this book, but I found it very hard to follow visually. Maybe because it's digitally created instead of illustrated I found it "unnatural" to read, but I really had a hard time. The story itself is okay, but it is a storybook (pictures could be omitted with understanding withheld). Perhaps "awkward" and "busy" are the words I would use to best describe this book. Again, though, I recognize I'm in the minority. Other people ...more
Erin
Jan 17, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, 3y, 2014
I do not enjoy the illustrations in this book at all. The computer-generated graphics are too busy for my taste, and there's just a lot of chaos going on in each of the pictures. I don't even look at them anymore, I just get through the words.

HOWEVER, I am not the audience for this book. And my 3 year old adores it. So I must put my old-fashioned ideas of what a picture book should look like aside! Out of the way old lady, here comes the new generation!

In this story, the lower case letters of "C
Asa Jacobs
Nov 09, 2014 Asa Jacobs rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This book is a story about a group of lower case letters who are going to a school to help a student learn the alphabet. The letters are lead by Capital T and as they are on their way lower case “I” falls into a stream and loses his dot. The rest of the story involves them looking for the dot because they can’t go to school until they find it. They end up making it to school and helping a boy named Charlie.
This book does a great job of using the alphabet to tell a story. Students will be expose
Elizabeth Root
Sep 12, 2010 Elizabeth Root rated it liked it
Alphabet Adventure is very visually appealing. The bright colors keep students interested in what is happening. The story line is enjoyable but i thought it was a lot to keep track of as well as learning the letters of the alphabet.
Jennifer Martelon
Feb 16, 2016 Jennifer Martelon rated it it was ok
Title: Alphabet Adventure
Author: Audrey Wood
Illustrator: Bruce Wood
Genre: Juvenile Fiction
Themes: Alphabet Book
Opening line/sentence: The little letters from Charlie’s alphabet had worked hard all summer long.
Brief Book Summary: All the little letters of Charlie’s alphabet are leaving Alphabet Island since they have been working all summer to be able to go help children learn the alphabet. When they were on their way little I falls into the water loosing it’s dot. Then the rest of the alphabet
Kate Chazin
Nov 17, 2015 Kate Chazin rated it really liked it
Shelves: literacy, fiction
Charley's lowercase alphabet is on the way to school for Charley's first day of kindergarten, and they've experienced a catastrophe! Lowercase i was so excited to go to school, that he BOUNCED off the bridge, nearly FELL into the water, and LOST his little dot! The lowercase alphabet, led by their teacher (Capital T) scoured the river, streets, and city for the long lost dot, but to no avail. The lowercase alphabet is just about ready to call it quits and head home crying, when Capital T had an ...more
Sarah Sammis
Apr 15, 2009 Sarah Sammis rated it it was amazing
Last month I reviewed the second book (Alphabet Mystery) in the alphabet series by mother and son team Audrey and Bruce Wood. The series starts with my favorite, Alphabet Adventure. It introduces the lower case letters of "Charlie's Alphabet" and the world in which they live when they aren't at school with Charlie.

Before they head off to school to meet Charlie for the first time, their uppercase teacher letter takes them on a field trip through the city. Along the way the curious letter i has an
Maggie Sideris
Title: Alphabet Adventure
Grade Level: Kindergarten-Third grade
Summary: This book is about a boy Charley 19s alphabet, and their adventure to the first day of school. On the alphabet 19s way to school little I fell into the water and lost it 19s dot. Then the other little letter try and help little I replace it 19s dot, but then the dot comes out of hiding and comes back. When they get to school they figure out that their first word that they have to help with is 1CCharley 1D.
Review: I thought t
Rosa Cline
Mar 31, 2015 Rosa Cline rated it really liked it
This is a super cute storybook for children of any ages...even those that know their alphabet but especially for those that are learning them! Illustrations are wonderful as well! My special needs teen age son AND my 3 year old granddaughter giggled and sat and listened through the entire story! The entire lower case alphabet is taught by capitol T and they are heading to school to help a little boy learn his letters. But along the way little i looses her 'dot' so the gang try and help find ...more
Danielle Baker
Nov 20, 2013 Danielle Baker rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alphabet-books
Review:

Audrey Wood's Alphabet Adventure is a really cute and new way to introduce and practice letters. It's a cute story that could be used for a celebration. It has rich vocabulary like capital letters, marching, and rescued. The illustrations are very colorful and detailed. This book is engaging for children. I would read this in my pre-k class.

Learning Experience:

I would make a boat and tell the children that only capital letters can ride on the boat because it's their turn. I would give chi
Alma Loredo
Nov 28, 2010 Alma Loredo rated it it was amazing

Capital T worked with the lower case letters all summer long preparing them for school. They learned how to work as a team. Little ‘i’ fell in the water and lost her dot. The alphabet worked together to find her dot before they headed to school. When they arrived to school they found the Charley and knew he was the one to help. This book describes the alphabet working as a team and it’s important for children to know that because they always work as a team to make up thousands of words we read e
Sara Felice
Oct 01, 2014 Sara Felice rated it liked it
Shelves: abc-books
Alphabet Adventure is good for prek/kindergarten children. The story is fun and captures the attention of young children. I enjoyed reading it aloud. The illustrations are bright and busy. I didn't like the computer graphics for illustrations, but the children enjoyed searching for the missing dot. It's a cute story about the little i missing it's dot and does a fair job of explaining the letters to young readers.
Sandra Vicars
Sep 10, 2011 Sandra Vicars rated it liked it
Shelves: rdg-334
Not your typical ABC book. The letters were not used in words as in most ABC books. There is one page that has items that start with each letter. It was fun to look on each page for the dot for little “I”. The book contains cute graphics that can be used to teach the alphabet as well as colors and shapes.
Deatrice
Apr 30, 2015 Deatrice rated it did not like it
The very large, bright illustrations are chronicled at the bottom of most pages systematically with boring font compared to the bright pictures above. It looks like two books from different genres smashed together at high velocity and fused into "Alphabet Adventure". There is also much un-advantageous repitition in the storyline.
Sophia Musgrave
Dec 17, 2010 Sophia Musgrave rated it really liked it
This is really cute story but a little more for preschoolers than toddlers. It has the same kind of great colorful illustration to get kids excited about letters as the firetruck book. This story is a little more in depth and not as much a draw to toddlers I have discovered, but preschoolers love it!
Morgan
Jan 08, 2009 Morgan rated it it was amazing
Alphabet adventure was about letter i lost her dot. The dot fell in the water. All of the alphabet tried to find it. Every letter found something that was the same shape of the dot but the letter i did not want them. He wanted his dot. Suddenly they found the dot. It was playing hide and seek.
Emily Blay
Jan 30, 2012 Emily Blay rated it did not like it
I would read this book to a kindergarten class. Once they are familiar with the letters of the alphabet then this book would be a great read-a-loud. This book could even be used as a anticapatory set for a lesson on the alphabet. Not only does this book include the letters of the alphabet but it is also a mystery which would keep students' attention.
Meg McGregor
Aug 26, 2015 Meg McGregor rated it really liked it
The alphabet letters are on their way to help a little boy learn his ABC's when "little i" discovers its dot is missing!

So the letters go on a search for the missing dot.

I really like the solution "Capital I" comes up with to solve the mystery!

The pictures are bright and colorful and will certainly cause little one's imaginations to run wild!
Tabitha
Feb 02, 2016 Tabitha rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I love all the colors and I love the story it tells. So cute that the little i lost his dot. But my absolute favorite part is at the end when we figure out why the alphabet is called "Charlie's alphabet". I just love how out of the box it is. I definitely want this book for my future students and children of my own.
Joseph
Sep 10, 2014 Joseph rated it it was ok
Not for a young student who is just learning the alphabet. Illustrations are semi hard to follow (possibily since its done digitally). The book only lists the alphabet in order once in the story and then at the very end. Although it was a cute story, I'm not so sure I would have this in my classroom.
Fjóla
I really did not care for the illustrations, although I think my son liked them. The story is pretty creative and captivating however, and really engages the observation skills of the preschooler. If Alphabet Mystery is anything like this one, my son will be sure to love that one too.
Rachel Thomas
Apr 20, 2010 Rachel Thomas rated it it was ok
title:Alphabet Adventure (picture)
author: Aubrey and Bruce Wood
Publisher: The Blue Sky Press
Date of Publication: 2001
Summary: This book is very cute! It would be great to read to a kindergarten class to help them in learning their alphabet letters. It is about an alphabet adventure in search of finding the dot of little i.
Tiffany Tilton
Sep 02, 2008 Tiffany Tilton rated it really liked it
This book is similar to its counter part, Alphabet Rescue, it lost my intrest about half way through, it is very drawn out. I think kids might loose interest quickly, but it is good to use when teaching/learning about printing letters. This book is also good for learning how to match what letters with objects that begin with that letter. Just read this book quickly so you don't loose them!
Jacob Patterson
Feb 02, 2016 Jacob Patterson rated it liked it
This is a cute book about the letters trying to get to a classroom so they can help the students learn the alphabet. It takes an interesting look into the alphabet by giving all of the letters their own little personalities. I think it could have done a better job of trying to teach children their alphabet though.
Red Book Buyer
Jan 29, 2016 Red Book Buyer rated it really liked it
The story is a wonderful read aloud, hence the higher rating....but the graphics are a terrible computer generated choice, in my opinion. That said, the kids didn't mind but it does feel pretty commercial.
Christina
Feb 23, 2014 Christina rated it liked it
Shelves: oppl
Cute book- illustrations feature bright colors and a tropical setting of Alphabet Island. Images can be a little too colorful and busy at times. Cute story line- good for those working on learning the alphabet.
Emily Morris
Oct 30, 2013 Emily Morris rated it really liked it
Audrey Wood is a master at making the alphabet come to life in these gorgeously illustrated books. Here, the lowercase letters are off to school. It's a funny, clever story that focuses on the status of lowercase alphabet. Perfect for kids.
Kelci Cox-Griswold
Jan 30, 2013 Kelci Cox-Griswold rated it really liked it
Shelves: alphabet
This would be a good book to read to teach students the alphabet. The books asks questions like, what is wrong with the letter? This would be good for students to look at the letters and see what is wrong with them.
Janet
Mar 31, 2016 Janet added it
Shelves: ece-bookshelf
All 26 letters of the alphabet go an adventure in this vibrantly illustrated story. In the end, they find the boy they belong to in school.

Age: 3+

Skill: Letter knowledge (Vibrantly illustrated letter make this book appealing to children in exploring the letter of the alphabet.)
Andd Becker
Oct 09, 2012 Andd Becker rated it it was ok
Audrey Wood wrote the text. Bruce Wood illustrated the book.
There is tension as the lower-case alphabet letters on Alphabet Island search for little i's dot.
The yellow number two pencil takes on a new identity.
  • Alphabet Under Construction
  • Down by the Station
  • And the Dish Ran Away with the Spoon
  • The Turn-Around, Upside-Down Alphabet Book
  • B Is for Bulldozer: A Construction ABC
  • The Great Gracie Chase - Stop That Dog!
  • Apple Trouble!
  • My Big Boy Potty
  • White Rabbit's Colors
  • 26 Letters and 99 Cents
  • So Many Bunnies: A Bedtime ABC and Counting Book
  • Dusty Locks and the Three Bears
Audrey Wood studied art and drama at the Arkansas Art Center in Little Rock, Arkansas. She has owned an operated a book and import store, taught chldren's drama and art, and traveled throughout Mexico and Guatemala studying Indian folk art. She now lives in Hawaii with her talented family (husband Don and son Bruce, who have both collaborated with Audrey by illustrating some of her books).
More about Audrey Wood...