Start by marking “The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone” as Want to Read:
The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone

The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone (Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture #23)

Expanded and up-to-date-the ultimate guide that explores meaning and philosophy of all six seasons of Lost

Lost is more than just a popular television show; it's a complex examination of meaningful philosophical questions. What does good versus evil mean on the island? Is it a coincidence that characters John Locke and Desmond David Hume are named after actual philosophers?
Published October 26th 2010 by John Wiley & Sons (first published October 7th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ultimate Lost and Philosophy

Kate
Jun 04, 2014 Kate rated it really liked it
I just finished the series (which I f***ing loved! OMG!!!) and wanted more pertaining to the world of Lost. This was a great collection of essays regarding philosophical elements of the show. Some essays infuriated me, others confirmed my own theories, all of them made me look at and think about Lost more deeply and critically.
Anthony
Sep 10, 2015 Anthony rated it it was amazing
A book focusing on the links between philosophy and Lost is one of the most perfect marriages of philosophy and pop culture i could think of when I found this book, and I was not disappointed.
I am giving this book 5 stars even taking into account one ludicrous essay, that I will go into shortly.

The book is divided into 5 parts, which spell out the word FOUND.
In part one, F is For Fortune, which deals with the issues of time travel, we take a hugely detailed look at all the various paradoxes fro
Emily Morris
Sep 09, 2013 Emily Morris rated it really liked it
I've read other books from this pop culture series and have always highly enjoyed them. Call me crazy, but I love the idea of dragging out what intellectualism possible from random books and tv shows. "Lost", however, seems to have plenty of fodder, being a most brilliant show in and of itself. I found this to be quite the varied collection of views and opinions, providing even contradicting ideas on the same topic when exploring even different concepts--made it the more interesting read for me. ...more
Michael
Dec 25, 2015 Michael rated it it was amazing
I have to admit that I watch TV shows rather for entertainment than to challenge my brain. When I watched Lost, I liked the storyline, the characters, the actors, some of the mystery and tension, but I never thought about any philosophical background. Now that I read this book, I am really amazed about how much thought the writers obviously put into everything.

The book is a compilation of 19 essays that consider Lost and its characters from various philosophical perspectives, that are divided i
Leif Denti
Aug 08, 2014 Leif Denti rated it it was ok
Filosofibok som tar sin utgångspunkt från tv-serien Lost. Egentligen en antologi av essäer i temat som är genererade av “fans”. Stundtals bra men många upprepningar gör att man tappar fokus. Funderingar som jag fastnade för var 1) Att man kan köpa många “regelbrytningar” i science-fiction gällande hur verkligheten är konstruerad (typ tidsresor, superkrafter, paranormala fenomen, etc) men att man förmodligen i mycket mindre utsträckning kan köpa regelbrytningar mot hur värderingar är konstruerade ...more
Philip Cosand
Feb 17, 2014 Philip Cosand rated it liked it
Recommends it for: LOST addicts
Not to be confused with the earlier/ green cover version (which only covered the first three seasons), this is not a book for the LOST-novice. While sharing the same flaws as "Batman and Philosophy" (amateur writers, attempts to interject themselves into essays), it does bring up some interesting points.

In particular, the Puzzles of Time Travel, Friends and Enemies of the State of Nature, and Fathers, Sons, and Moral Obligations are probably the most gripping. Like many collections/ anthologies,
Tiffany
This one is slightly better than the original version, Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons, because the first part is now devoted to time travel, and because it has a revised essay, "The New Narnia: Myth and Redemption on the Island of Second Chances" (although the essay wasn't as spectacular as I expected it to be -- it actually felt flat in quite a few places, but where it did make comparisons between the two stories, it made the comparisons well).
Glenn
Apr 16, 2011 Glenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
Followup to "Lost and Philosophy: The Island Has Its Reasons" which was written halfway through the series, after the third season. "Ultimate Lost and Philosophy: Think Together, Die Alone" was an update written after the series end (six seasons) and delved more into the time travel/flash sideways elements explored in seasons 5 and 6 and also covered Jacob and The Man in Black who appeared in the last couple seasons. Like the first book, it brought back great memories of the series, by exploring ...more
Jonathon
Mar 01, 2013 Jonathon rated it really liked it
My favourite tv series and my favourite academic subject... What could possibly go wrong? As with all collections in the "X and philosophy" series, not every article was entirely convincing; some chapters just felt like the author was shoehorning Lost into their PhD thesis, particularly discussions of morality and the social structure of the island. That said, if any tv show lends itself to philosophical discussion it's Lost, and I found the chapters related to Metaphysics (time travel, counterf ...more
Sadie
May 25, 2013 Sadie rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy-fun
Great philosophy read. A perfect and epic read for anyone who has a knack for philosophy. I love the Pop Culture and Philosophy series. I never get bored of them! I found this book especially fascinating, particularly when it was talking about time travel and theories about time. Great book for anyone who was a fan of LOST.
Tiffany
Jan 28, 2013 Tiffany rated it it was amazing
Shelves: philosophy
This is my favorite of the William Irwin pop philosophy series. Could it be because this is one of the few tv series that left enough questions unanswered so that there remained more room for philosophical inquiry?

But the REALLY big question is:

When are they going to publish "The Ultimate Supernatural and Philosophy: Who Are the Real Monsters?"

Melanie
Jul 01, 2014 Melanie rated it it was amazing
Amazing. Thought provoking and insightful essays about one the most complex television shows of all time. My favorite essays were 'Ideology and Otherness in Lost: "Stuck in a Bloody Snow Globe"'and 'Imaginary Peanut Butter: The Puzzles of Time Travel in Lost'
مشاري الإبراهيم
I read ~6 articles in the book across 2 chapters and reached to the conclusion that the book isn't worth finishing in light of what I thought the book covers.

It's just a recap of lost episodes with some light philosophical references. I thought it would be the other way around.
Mostly Lit
Oct 15, 2014 Mostly Lit rated it liked it
The chapters on morality and character development were the best. The others were either badly written or unnecessarily pedantic.
A.R. Davis
Nov 04, 2013 A.R. Davis rated it it was amazing
A little complicated to follow not having seen Lost, but still a great book. I found many useful concepts related to what I have already been using in my next book, Schroedinger’s Cheshire Cats.
Greg
Feb 17, 2016 Greg rated it really liked it
Fascinating read about the philosophical underpinnings of a show deeper than the pacific ocean
Morgan Becker
May 18, 2016 Morgan Becker rated it it was amazing
This is a really good book for any avid LOST fans!! aka me :)
James
Oct 18, 2011 James rated it it was ok
Shelves: philosophy, tv
I found this to be very hard going, although there were some parts that were very interesting.
Carol Eshleman
Jun 22, 2011 Carol Eshleman rated it it was amazing
Very interesting read! Really makes me eager to start my Lost Book Quest.
Kristen
Kristen rated it did not like it
May 17, 2014
Stephen Huffman
Stephen Huffman rated it really liked it
Jan 18, 2012
Pwalgus
Pwalgus rated it it was ok
Sep 07, 2016
Ellen Roe
Ellen Roe rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
May 03, 2011
Brandon Jones
Brandon Jones rated it really liked it
May 26, 2013
Katarin Escolar
Katarin Escolar rated it really liked it
Feb 04, 2014
Michelle
Michelle rated it liked it
Aug 31, 2012
Alicia
Alicia rated it liked it
Mar 12, 2013
Ben Keightley
Ben Keightley rated it liked it
Dec 22, 2013
Scott
Scott rated it liked it
Nov 08, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • More Matrix and Philosophy: Revolutions and Reloaded Decoded (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Star Trek and Philosophy: The Wrath of Kant
  • Battlestar Galactica and Philosophy: Knowledge Here Begins Out There
  • Justice, Gender, and the Family
  • The Daily Show and Philosophy: Moments of Zen in the Art of Fake News
  • The Chronicles of Narnia and Philosophy: The Lion, the Witch, and the Worldview (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • Stephen Colbert and Philosophy: I Am Philosophy (And So Can You!)
  • Baseball and Philosophy: Thinking Outside the Batter's Box
  • Sherlock Holmes and Philosophy: The Footprints of a Gigantic Mind
  • Mad Men and Philosophy: Nothing is as it Seems
  • The Undead and Philosophy: Chicken Soup for the Soulless
  • The Avengers and Philosophy: Earth's Mightiest Thinkers
  • Monty Python and Philosophy: Nudge Nudge, Think Think!
  • Gender
  • South Park and Philosophy: Bigger, Longer, and More Penetrating
  • Inception and Philosophy: Because It's Never Just a Dream
  • Doctor Who and Philosophy: Bigger on the Inside (Popular Culture and Philosophy)
  • House and Philosophy: Everybody Lies

Blackwell Philosophy and Pop Culture (1 - 10 of 39 books)
  • South Park and Philosophy: You Know, I Learned Something Today