Start by marking “Gladstone's School for World Conquerors” as Want to Read:
Gladstone's School for World Conquerors

Gladstone's School for World Conquerors

Welcome to Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, a top secret academy for the children of the world's greatest super villains to learn the trade. Join us as Kid Nefarious, Mummy Girl, Martian Jones, Ghost Girl, and the infamous Skull brothers unearth the School's and their parent's hidden past.
Published November 29th 2011 by Image Comics (first published October 15th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Gladstone's School for World Conquerors, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gladstone's School for World Conquerors

mark monday
Jan 15, 2017 mark monday rated it liked it
Shelves: comikon, kidworld
overall quite delightful. the young students at Gladstone's School for World Conquerors are the daughters and sons of various super-villains, excitedly anticipating the time they can follow in their parents' villainous footprints. little do they know, the world outside their school has moved past such old-fashioned and often deadly endeavors like "battles between good and evil"...

this G-rated superhero spin on the always popular School for Special People plot is mainly a lot of endearing fun. fu
A Voracious Reader (a.k.a. Carol)
not 144 pages, issue #1 was 40 pages

*Book source ~ Free from NoiseTrade

From Goodreads:
Welcome to Gladstone''s School for World Conquerors, a top secret academy for the children of the world''s greatest super villains to learn the trade. Join us as Kid Nefarious, Mummy Girl, Martian Jones, Ghost Girl, and the infamous Skull brothers unearth the School''s and their parent''s hidden past.

Not a new concept, but still enjoyable. Reminds me of the movie Sky High except it’s for villains instead of her
Erin the Avid Reader ⚜BFF's with the Cheshire Cat⚜
Is that Invader Zim on the cover? If it is, I'm gonna be at the library by 6 am.
Jeremy
Apr 02, 2014 Jeremy rated it really liked it
This was a fun book with great artwork. Some of the dialog was a bit rambly and could've been more succinct but overall I enjoyed the premise of the book. The villain school children and their relationships were great. It's almost like a reverse Runaways.
Justin Robinson
Jul 02, 2012 Justin Robinson rated it really liked it
Smith harnesses whimsy like a bronco, never letting it overpower his story. Villavert is a talent of the first order, with every page worthy of being framed and put on the wall.
Ionel
Sep 21, 2016 Ionel rated it really liked it
This book is a graphic novel and it's about a kid who is a super villain going to school and practicing super villain things. But when his parents are made fools of in these comic books then he vows revenge on a superhero but the battle between superheroes and supervillains are fake!
Alan
Jan 22, 2012 Alan rated it liked it
While the whole school setting has become pretty common in recent years (Harry Potter, Morning Glories, Glee even) very few writers have decided to take us to where they train villains. A well written brief intro introduces us to the school and its history. None of the characters, especially the leads of Mummy Girl and Kid Nefarious, are very well developed. The closest we come to character development are the Skull Brothers, and that is where I feel a little let down by this tale.

Spoiler

What i
Rosa
Oct 14, 2013 Rosa rated it really liked it
Totally adorable. A group of students from Gladstone's get their hands on comic books that have their parents battling it out with heroes and are horrified to see that the books make their parents look ridiculous and incompetent. They don't know that their parents have a deal with the superheroes or that two of their number know about the deal and are trying to get revenge.

I loved the bright slick art style. It felt perfect for the story. I liked learning about the kids, watching Kid Nefarious
Richard
May 12, 2013 Richard rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-13
I love this book.

Gladstone's is an all-ages series that, like Doctor Who, actually packs a big entertainment punch without seeming too silly or dumbed down.

I love the concept and the storytelling, but the biggest win goes to Villavert. His character designs are brilliant. I even love the background "extras," the kids who don't have speaking roles but who add life and energy to so many scenes.

Yeah, maybe character development comes up a bit short, but the series serves up enough Big Ideas in thes
Cale
Jul 03, 2013 Cale rated it really liked it
This is a cute story about a school for the children of villains, training the next generation of world conqueror's. It scratches the same itch as Tiny Titans, the overly cute young powered set. But even though the art is cutesy, the story goes some deeper places; positing a world where super battles are more WCW than heroism, and what that would do to the villains' perspective. It's surprisingly deep in its explorations, even as it has a dozen youngsters of various villain archetypes duking it ...more
Ryan
Dec 20, 2012 Ryan rated it really liked it
Melissa Forget
Jun 08, 2016 Melissa Forget rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved this read! It was a fun take on the tired Super heroes vs. Super villains routine but this time the new generation of villains don't want to be the losers anymore. Colourful pages and well thought out character designs, this graphic novel is definitely appealing to the senses. My only critique is the lack of complexity in the colouring and design of the backgrounds in most panels. In addition, some pages skipped into action too quickly and created a disconnect. Thought I was missing a page ...more
Maria
Feb 10, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it
A school for villains - teaching the next generation what they need to know. But what they don't know is that all the battles between their parents and the heroes have been faked for years. How will they handle the truth?

Great mix of action and humor. Definitely will appeal to the upper elementary crew. Yet plenty of fun references that will keep older readers interested as well.

My sons adored this one!
***Dave Hill
Dec 11, 2011 ***Dave Hill rated it it was amazing
Shelves: illustrated
It's P.S. 238, only for the kids of super-villains. The characters are interesting, the dialog's funny, and the background world intriguing -- especially as the actions of the kids serve to possibly change a delicate status quo in the universe of heroes and villains.

Triffic fun, and enjoyed thoroughly both by myself and by my 11yo daughter.
Ming
Aug 10, 2012 Ming rated it it was amazing
I liked the book and it changed the way we looked at villains and superheroes. It also had a lot of action and comedy at the same time especially how martian jones acts tough but when he is in danger, he is a wimp! Even though the introduction was a little slow, the story was the best i have read so far!
Jason
Jun 14, 2013 Jason rated it really liked it
What a cliffhanger at the end! Too bad I missed the Kickstarter campaign for volume 2. Clever concept that is well-executed. Nice balance between plot and character development. The action sequence at the end went on a bit too long, but I don't think it detracted overall. Seems like it would appeal to a broad audience, too, from maybe 4th grade through adults.
Louise Bendall
Mar 19, 2013 Louise Bendall rated it it was amazing
In this quirky, funny, adventurous comic, the kids of the world's greatest villains have to go to school somewhere. But, these tweenage villians-in-training were never told that the battles between superheroes and their villainous parents are fake. While their parents may have signed a treaty to keep the peace, these kids are going to start a war.
Dolores
Feb 18, 2013 Dolores rated it really liked it
There were elements here that reminded me of "Evil Genius" & the H.I.V.E. series. The list of courses being offered is priceless. Guess I always suspected "Public Speaking" was for villains. A fun and very promising start. (P.S. Loved the little rant about the value of comics as educational tools.)
Jamie
Jul 08, 2013 Jamie rated it it was amazing
This is my fourth read thru and I cannot say enough good things about this series. Great art! Great storytelling. I am looking forward to where this series goes next. If you love comics that are more retro and have a good hearted-spirit, check this out.
Kim
Nov 22, 2011 Kim rated it really liked it
This comic is actually comical. It's also smart and very well done. Great concept and good pacing kept pages turning. I burnt through the trade. As far as comics go its a personal favorite.
A school for future super villains... Brilliant.
P.
Sep 04, 2012 P. rated it liked it
I liked the character design + fun attacks, and the humor is the kind that, if this were animated and shown in the 90s along with Freakazoid/Tiny Toons/Powerpuff Girls/AAAH Real Monsters/Beetlejuice, it wouldn't feel out of place (but with less clever cultural references/punniness)
Kit
Jan 30, 2016 Kit rated it really liked it
Listen to our review on View From the Gutters podcast!
Amanda
Apr 16, 2012 Amanda rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya, gettin-graphic, series
Really liked the altern-superhero this book is goin for. Lots of fun with traditional superhero tropes and conventions.
Anna Martino
Aug 06, 2013 Anna Martino rated it really liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I thought this was a fun comic series. I liked the kid villains and the premise of the story. It was a fun little read. Also, I think I will be mummy girl for Halloween!
amy boese
Jan 16, 2013 amy boese rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2013
Great addition to my comic loving kids' collection. Goofy, epic, and smart.
Felipe
Oct 30, 2012 Felipe rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comic-books
Absolutely adored this book. Fun story about kids in super-villain school. The character designs are fantastic.
Siloxbot
May 11, 2016 Siloxbot rated it really liked it
This had a lot of words and the print was small, so -1 star. But I liked the story.
Colby Searcy
Colby Searcy rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
  • The Astounding Wolf-Man, Volume 3
  • Malinky Robot: Collected Stories and Other Bits
  • Incorruptible, Vol. 2
  • The Woods, Vol. 3: New London
  • Curses! Foiled Again (Foiled, #2)
  • The Middleman: The Collected Series Indispensability
  • Solomon's Thieves, Book One
  • Adventure Time: Graybles Schmaybles (Adventure Time OGN, #5)
  • Over the Wall
  • Black Widow: The Itsy-Bitsy Spider
  • Ichiro
  • Marathon
  • Adventure Time: Bitter Sweets (Adventure Time OGN, #4)
  • Broxo