Marlfox (Redwall, #11)

Marlfox (Redwall #11)

3.94 of 5 stars 3.94  ·  rating details  ·  9,539 ratings  ·  127 reviews
The eleventh Redwall novel. Queen Silth, vixen ruler of Castle Marl, has one mission: to create a rich oasis of beautiful treasures on her island home. She has an army of water rats poised to plunder for their High Queen, and the wily Marlfox offspring at large with their legendary magical powers.
Published August 3rd 1999 by Red Fox (first published August 18th 1998)

David Gillis
Marlfox was my first Redwall novel in the series, even though it does come into the series relatively late. It was also what hooked me into it. I loved the light fantasy storytelling it had with the characters being mice, squirrels, otters, and other woodland creatures. But it wasn't all light-hearted fun. The Redwall stories offer more villainous creatures such as rats, shrews, and stoats. In this case, the Marlfoxes are foxes that are larger and smarter than your usual fox. What's great about...more
Ben.c
Emily Collins
I've owned this book forever but I don't remember as much what this one was about. Kudos to Jacques though for going for more than just regular foxes and adding an air of almost-magic into it.
My favorite part of these books is often the food. Anyone else get hungry reading these?
Josiah
Brian Jacques has to get credit for continually changing up the elements of the Redwall stories, always giving new peripheral looks to the basic narrative style that readers of the series become familiar with in the first couple of books.

This time, we see a brand-new kind of villain in the treacherous Marlfox sub-breed, a family of mystical, nearly magical foxes that inhabit a dark island far from Redwall Abbey. The Marlfoxes have been the stuff of legend in the past (though noticeably not men...more
Freya Russell-Hobson
The Redwall series is a brilliant set of adventure books for YAs, featuring talking, sword weilding woodland creatures in various stages of bloodlust and gluttony. The trouble is, however, that so many of the books have identical plots and merge into each other.

There is always a threat, usually to Redwall Abbey but occasionally to some other otter or mouse of hedgehog haven, which inevitably the young, inexperienced group of trusty friends then go and vanquish in the nick of time. The first time...more
Megan Cutler
Oh goody, another Redwall book where we get to spend 300 pages trying to distinguish what the various creatures are saying. Can't any of the animals in this universe speak normally? One or two characters with quirky speech is cute, but all of them? Doesn't someone try to preserve the language in Redwall? And while we're on the subject of continuity in this universe, why are always children at the Abbey but never any parents?

Like most of the other books in this series, Marlfox follows the same ol...more
Kaitlyn
Okay, one of my slightly guilty pleasure books. I love the Redwall Series, despite many, many faults I could list. And I probably will. But I have loved these book since fourth grade, when they were practically all I ever read. I am always a bit surprised to see them on the teen shelf, when to me they are children's books. They are likely a decent way beneath my reading level, but... I enjoy them nonetheless.
Anyway, Marlfox... typical Redwall. Dibbuns are kidnapped and must be recovered, the evi...more
Treasure
Part of the prolific and classic Redwall series, Marlfox follows an ever-widening band of forest creatures as they fight the evil and mysterious marlfoxes. Marlfoxes are ruled by the evil Queen Silth from a forgotten island on a forgotten lake. When they steal an important tapestry from Redwall Abbey, a band of young Redwall creatures must fight to save it.
Advanced readers will love having many books in the series to choose from and will feel very grown up reading lengthy books that begin with...more
Piepie Beuttel
Another hit by Brian Jacques. I love visiting Redwall Abbey time after time again. "Marlfox" was one of my favorite Redwall stories as a kid! :)

This book was a little different - the antagonist was not just one, but a whole group of villains - brothers and sisters, all cruel and conniving. "Marmfloxes" - the Dibbuns call them!

As always, I enjoyed seeing previous characters in a whole new story - Cregga Rose Eyes, Gurrbowl, Friar Butty, among others - as well as meeting others. The duo Dann and S...more
Jing
Nov 25, 2007 Jing rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: continuation
Shelves: advisory
There has been this new terror called Marlfoxes: foxes that were known as magic creatures who could reappeared and disappear like smoke. The Marlfoxes that came to face Redwall were six all told who wer borhters and sister; children of the High Queen Silth and her mate who she killed. While attempting to conquered Redwall, there were a Guosim problem when one of the shrew betray his leader and killed him. The Marlfoxes also took the tapestry of Martin the Warrior and later on Mokkan the most de...more
Stephen Fordyce
Dec 27, 2007 Stephen Fordyce rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: nature readers
I've only read two Brian Jacques books so far and this one was the lesser of the two. I didn't like how the author built up the foxes to be like these mystical and accomplished ninja foxes who could disappear and reappear at will, and then they were so easily killed off in the end. Anyone who read the book will remember. Did the Marlfoxes kill any of the important good characters? When they weren't killing each other, they were getting their mystical heads chopped off.

If you are going to imply...more
Katie
Marlfox is probably my favorite Redwall book after Mattimeo, though I'm not sure why. It's not thrilling or inventive, having the same "stolen tapestry" storyline we've seen before, with an Abbey battle alongside the "young warriors infiltrate the evil fortress" plot. My nostalgia must have something to do with the brood of brother-sister villains that gives Marlfox so much potential.

....so much potential I want to crack Brian Jacques over the head with a frozen fish until he screams "mum." Doe...more
Ben
Zachary
The first Redwall book I ever read.

I would have enjoyed it more if I had started at the begining of the series rather than jumping in at the eleventh book. Such things happen though when you are twelve years old and spy a mysterious fox grasping a wicked looking axe on a book cover.

As with all of the Redwall series, it's a "lighter" fantasy with complex and developed themes.

Marlfox (as I remember) seemed darker than the rest. Very well written, as all of Brian Jacques works are. Exciting battle...more
Hallie O'malley
I've read this 2 times. It is a truly awesome story! Just like all of Brian Jagues' stories.
Colleen
Marlfox
Brian Jacques
page 200 out of 386

The book Marlfox is a book in the Redwall series where Redwall is threatened by a group of villainous foxes called Marlfoxes. In the story they have to go to war with the Marlfoxes and in the end fight off their evil mother queen Silth.

I have not finished this book but so far I give it a 5 star rating because of the suspense and plot twist. My favorite part so far is when the baby moles where trying to bake a pie by sitting in the oven. I like this scene b...more
Noa Leibson
In Marlfox, a novel of the Redwall creatures, Marlfoxes who are evil foxes from legends steal the Redwall tapestry and run off with it, while others declare war on Redwall Abbey. Four young creatures take off after the taspestry, using their lives to get it, while the abbety battles and wins at the end They all eventually take off after the Marlfox leader, and take him down using his own trickery. Its a FANTASTIC book and I recommend it to all.
Avery
The abbey Redwall is under threat when the Marlfoxes from a secret island come to take Redwall's famous tapestry. Now it is up to three young ones to return the tapestry to Rewall, stop the Marlfoxes, and free the slaves.

I rated this book 5 stars because it is just another great redwall book, adventerous and creative.

I reccommend this book to all ages. Because it is entertaining for all ages.

Count this for two books.
Astrid Turner
I have this book signed by Brian Jacques, when I met him in 7th grade. This is one of my favorite Redwall books, because it introduces a whole new setting and even more fantastic characters. Jacques really was a genius at finding new worlds to explore and new adventures, all whilst keeping it easy enough for young ones to follow.

Truly amazing series, one that I carry in my heart always and can't wait to share with my children.
Stephel
Two characters in this book irritated me to no end: Dwopple and his guardian (I forget her name). These are probably the first two characters that I actually despise in this entire series. Other than that, the book was decent. It was nice revisiting the nearly forgotten lake from some books back. Something random I noticed: I think this was the first book that mentioned almonds and raisins. Just to throw that out there..
Navid
This book is very suspenseful. The characters are different animals such as mice, moles, badgers, and squirrels. Who all live in a castle called Redwall. A clan of mysterious dark-colored foxes in black cloaks and razor sharp axes roam the land. They are very strange because they can disappear in smoke anytime, anywhere. It is cool how the animals struggle to fight these mysterious animal,the Marlfoxes.
Ryan
The ending was unbelievably horrible in that it felt like you build up to the finish for the whole book and in the end it's only 20 pages or so. Usually Jacques gives a fair length of time to the endings, providing details and leaving no question unanswered, I felt like most of the action scenes were just too short and without detail. Not my favorite of his.
Chris Evers
I really enjoyed this book. It's a fun read, with adorable characters, and so much delicious food. I kept wishing I were one of the characters, in their beautiful, lush landscape, living off the land. It's interesting because there's no real sense of time in the book. You know time is passing, as it's a quest, but no real markers are made, so you can't really tell.
Matt
This was the last of the Redwall series I read, or, tried to read - I never finsihed it...I started it, but I was in high school at this point...and I guess my tastes had changed/I was too busy with other things to really get into it in order to finish it. Also, if I remember correctly, I just kinda didn't like it like I liked the others before it.
Hannah
Hands down my favourite Redwall novel. A wonderful variety of equally loveable and captivating characters (particularly Song and Dann) that never fail to touch you, and you'll find yourself cheering and crying alongside them as you watch them grow in their struggles and triumphs. An exciting adventure that makes a fantastic read.
Lisa
Beautiful Book, I absolutely adore Brian Jacques' writing, i have read many of his book multiples times starting at a young and continue to read them into my adult years. They never get boring dull or cumbersome. They may come across as whimsical to some, however this is what i love most about them. We all need more Whimsy in our lives.
Shane Mcgonigal
While this book has the same basic storyline as the rest of the Redwall novels, Brian Jacques adds a nice twist to it with the multiple characters and an some all new bad guys that can disappear.
It is one of the better Redwall books and was one of the last ones that really felt like it had a unique storyline.
Richard Houchin
The Redwall books ought to be a perennial children's favorite. They are simple and formulaic, but it's a good formula! Jacques has a real gift for dialect, and culinary descriptions. I credit an early fascination with the Redwall stories for my modern-day feats of gastronomic delight. "Salad anna scone!"
Sdoconnor
This is yet another great book from Jacques. Great use of these animals to make a story. Good at revealing how not everything in life is not perfect and there is sorrow, tragedy, and war. That evil should not be tolerated or suffered by any. I think that great values are instilled with honor and the like.
Justyn Simon
Jun 25, 2013 Justyn Simon rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition Recommends it for: people that like talking animals
Shelves: adventure, animal
what I like about this book, is that it follows the redwall plot, that is there is a warrior that uses Martin's sword against some enemy. In this book the animals of redwall that were young in the last book, are now old or dead. So now new characters have taken their place.
How many books were Badgermum Cregga in? 1 4 Jul 14, 2012 09:48AM
This book was awesome 1 3 Mar 30, 2012 11:51AM
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • The Wings of Merlin (The Lost Years of Merlin, #5)
  • Fire Bringer
  • Perloo The Bold
  • The Dark Portal (The Deptford Mice, #1)
  • The Outcast (Guardians of Ga'Hoole, #8)
  • The Secret (Animorphs, #9)
  • Firewing (Silverwing, #3)
  • Lost City (Dinotopia, #4)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh...more
More about Brian Jacques...
Mossflower (Redwall, #2) Redwall (Redwall, #1) Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6) Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)