Start by marking “Marlfox (Redwall, #11)” as Want to Read:
Marlfox (Redwall, #11)

Marlfox (Redwall #11)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  11,869 ratings  ·  138 reviews
The eleventh Redwall novel. Queen Silth, vixen ruler of Castle Marl, has one mission: to create a rich oasis of beautiful treasures on her island home. She has an army of water rats poised to plunder for their High Queen, and the wily Marlfox offspring at large with their legendary magical powers.
Published August 3rd 1999 by Red Fox (first published August 18th 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Marlfox, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Marlfox

David Gillis
Marlfox was my first Redwall novel in the series, even though it does come into the series relatively late. It was also what hooked me into it. I loved the light fantasy storytelling it had with the characters being mice, squirrels, otters, and other woodland creatures. But it wasn't all light-hearted fun. The Redwall stories offer more villainous creatures such as rats, shrews, and stoats. In this case, the Marlfoxes are foxes that are larger and smarter than your usual fox. What's great about ...more
Once again, a focused plot without irrelevant side-plots makes for a good Redwall book. I enjoyed the uniqueness, for Redwall, of the “family” villains, although I still don’t like the fact that none of the villains seem capable of love. I also found the quick demise of Lantur, after all her scheming, amusing.

Song and Dann (and Dippler and Burble) are probably the most endearing heroes that come from Redwall in a while. They’re not bland or flat, like Samkim was, and they’re not forgettable like
Will Waller
There is much good to be said about the Harry Potter series of books - their foray into wizardry, their magical locations and characters, the rhythm of their plots as you discover what Harry is up against. Most notably, Voldemort. Voldemort appears and disappears and you don't really have a handle on him until the end of the last book. It's great, and perfect for kids and adults who need to be given small doses to be kept interested.

This book, unlike the Harry Potter series, lacks wizardry, gre
I like that Marlfox is really the first book in the series to re-use a notable place from the early books. I mentioned in one of my reviews of an earlier book (Pearls of Lutra I think) that the home of the Marlfoxes here was once the same island the White Ghost lived on - who, if you have read all the books you know to be Urthwyte from Salamandastron.

I especially liked that his legend remained and actually played a part in this book. Apart from Martin you don't really hear of any previous charac
Nazmul Hasan
If I read this now, I'd probably give it 3 stars for it's uniqueness. Regardless, Jacques was my childhood. I've read most of his work in middle school and devoured every book.

This book in particular was my favorite. Even though I've forgotten all the names of all the characters, I still remember the battle with the Marlfox and the vividness of the scene painted by Jacques. I still remember by first epicgasm.

Yes, they have simplistic plots but these are books for children, not sophisticated, stu
Mark Isaak
Brian Jacques is good at writing banter. Unfortunately, he plays to this strength until it feels as if two-thirds of the book is banter (really it's probably close to one-third). And not banter for the sake of exposition or character development, but mostly banter for the sake of banter. Worse, most of the characters speak in dialect, so the reader often needs to pause to decipher lines like, "Us'n's be gurtly drownded, zurrs." The book as a whole has a lighthearted tone, but that tone gets inse ...more
Emily Collins
I've owned this book forever but I don't remember as much what this one was about. Kudos to Jacques though for going for more than just regular foxes and adding an air of almost-magic into it.
My favorite part of these books is often the food. Anyone else get hungry reading these?
Clint Nutter
I hadn't read a Redwall book in around 10 years and still thoroughly enjoyed it.
Foxes always seem to be villains in Jacques's work, and here he introduces a new kind, the Marlfoxes, who, with their "silver-gray coats heavily mottled with patches of black and bluey gray," are blessed with natural camouflage such that they are thought to be magic ("They could make theirselves invisible"). A family of four males and three females, they lead their band of water rats in search of "treasure" for their senile but dangerous mother, Queen Silth. When they learn of the existence of R ...more
Ms. Patterson
I was recently weeding books and pulled out Marlfox, because it's in bad shape and needs to be replaced. I decided to read it, because I remember one of my students recently mention that this was his favorite book in the Redwall series. I'm so glad I did.

Legend has it that marlfoxes possess magical powers and can appear and disappear at will. When several marlfoxes are spotted in Mossflower wood, the various creatures take it upon themselves to go and warn everyone at Redwall Abbey. The marlfoxe
Brian Jacques has to get credit for continually changing up the elements of the Redwall stories, always giving new peripheral looks to the basic narrative style that readers of the series become familiar with in the first couple of books.

This time, we see a brand-new kind of villain in the treacherous Marlfox sub-breed, a family of mystical, nearly magical foxes that inhabit a dark island far from Redwall Abbey. The Marlfoxes have been the stuff of legend in the past (though noticeably not men
Megan Cutler
Oh goody, another Redwall book where we get to spend 300 pages trying to distinguish what the various creatures are saying. Can't any of the animals in this universe speak normally? One or two characters with quirky speech is cute, but all of them? Doesn't someone try to preserve the language in Redwall? And while we're on the subject of continuity in this universe, why are always children at the Abbey but never any parents?

Like most of the other books in this series, Marlfox follows the same ol
Okay, one of my slightly guilty pleasure books. I love the Redwall Series, despite many, many faults I could list. And I probably will. But I have loved these book since fourth grade, when they were practically all I ever read. I am always a bit surprised to see them on the teen shelf, when to me they are children's books. They are likely a decent way beneath my reading level, but... I enjoy them nonetheless.
Anyway, Marlfox... typical Redwall. Dibbuns are kidnapped and must be recovered, the evi
Part of the prolific and classic Redwall series, Marlfox follows an ever-widening band of forest creatures as they fight the evil and mysterious marlfoxes. Marlfoxes are ruled by the evil Queen Silth from a forgotten island on a forgotten lake. When they steal an important tapestry from Redwall Abbey, a band of young Redwall creatures must fight to save it.
Advanced readers will love having many books in the series to choose from and will feel very grown up reading lengthy books that begin with
Piepie Beuttel
Another hit by Brian Jacques. I love visiting Redwall Abbey time after time again. "Marlfox" was one of my favorite Redwall stories as a kid! :)

This book was a little different - the antagonist was not just one, but a whole group of villains - brothers and sisters, all cruel and conniving. "Marmfloxes" - the Dibbuns call them!

As always, I enjoyed seeing previous characters in a whole new story - Cregga Rose Eyes, Gurrbowl, Friar Butty, among others - as well as meeting others. The duo Dann and S
Nov 25, 2007 Jing rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: continuation
Shelves: advisory
There has been this new terror called Marlfoxes: foxes that were known as magic creatures who could reappeared and disappear like smoke. The Marlfoxes that came to face Redwall were six all told who wer borhters and sister; children of the High Queen Silth and her mate who she killed. While attempting to conquered Redwall, there were a Guosim problem when one of the shrew betray his leader and killed him. The Marlfoxes also took the tapestry of Martin the Warrior and later on Mokkan the most de ...more
Vickey Foggin
Great if you read it as a stand alone, but a bit of a rehash and pretty boring if you're reading your way through the series. Many of the major plot points--kidnapped Dibbun, stolen tapestry, befriending an injured bird, voyage to the centre of the lake for example--are repeats of adventures in other books. We do see new villains in the masters of camouflage and misdirection, the Marlfoxes. I believe it has the highest body count of any of the Redwall books though. Death everywhere.
Stephen Fordyce
Dec 27, 2007 Stephen Fordyce rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: nature readers
I've only read two Brian Jacques books so far and this one was the lesser of the two. I didn't like how the author built up the foxes to be like these mystical and accomplished ninja foxes who could disappear and reappear at will, and then they were so easily killed off in the end. Anyone who read the book will remember. Did the Marlfoxes kill any of the important good characters? When they weren't killing each other, they were getting their mystical heads chopped off.

If you are going to imply
Marlfox is probably my favorite Redwall book after Mattimeo, though I'm not sure why. It's not thrilling or inventive, having the same "stolen tapestry" storyline we've seen before, with an Abbey battle alongside the "young warriors infiltrate the evil fortress" plot. My nostalgia must have something to do with the brood of brother-sister villains that gives Marlfox so much potential. much potential I want to crack Brian Jacques over the head with a frozen fish until he screams "mum." Doe
One of my favourites. The Marlfoxes are interesting villains, more cunning than the average vermin. Our young heroes are everything they should be - wise, kind, but still perilous - and yet they have some of the usual foibles of the young. And the feasting, songs, and puzzles are just what we've all come to expect from the Redwall books.
The first Redwall book I ever read.

I would have enjoyed it more if I had started at the begining of the series rather than jumping in at the eleventh book. Such things happen though when you are twelve years old and spy a mysterious fox grasping a wicked looking axe on a book cover.

As with all of the Redwall series, it's a "lighter" fantasy with complex and developed themes.

Marlfox (as I remember) seemed darker than the rest. Very well written, as all of Brian Jacques works are. Exciting battle
Hallie O'malley
I've read this 2 times. It is a truly awesome story! Just like all of Brian Jagues' stories.
Brian Jacques
page 200 out of 386

The book Marlfox is a book in the Redwall series where Redwall is threatened by a group of villainous foxes called Marlfoxes. In the story they have to go to war with the Marlfoxes and in the end fight off their evil mother queen Silth.

I have not finished this book but so far I give it a 5 star rating because of the suspense and plot twist. My favorite part so far is when the baby moles where trying to bake a pie by sitting in the oven. I like this scene b
Elijah Henning
This was a really good action packed book. It had a really good end.
Anjuli Oey
It was awesome. I loved the mystery and deadliness of the Marlfoxes.
William Quest
It was a very entertaining read. Death, destruction and deceit. All the earmarks of a great novel, but with anthropomorphic animals wielding axes, sling and wit to defeat their enemies. An engaging adult novel that brings back nostalgic thoughts of childhood favorites.
Definitely my favorite of the Redwall books.
Noa Leibson
In Marlfox, a novel of the Redwall creatures, Marlfoxes who are evil foxes from legends steal the Redwall tapestry and run off with it, while others declare war on Redwall Abbey. Four young creatures take off after the taspestry, using their lives to get it, while the abbety battles and wins at the end They all eventually take off after the Marlfox leader, and take him down using his own trickery. Its a FANTASTIC book and I recommend it to all.
How many books were Badgermum Cregga in? 2 12 Aug 27, 2014 05:34AM
This book was awesome 1 3 Mar 30, 2012 11:51AM
  • Fox's Feud (Farthing Wood, #3)
  • Urchin of the Riding Stars (The Mistmantle Chronicles, #1)
  • Redwall: The Graphic Novel
  • The Oaken Throne (The Deptford Histories, #2)
  • Perloo The Bold
  • The Wainscott Weasel
  • The Sacrifice (Animorphs, #52)
  • The Turret (The Rescuers, #3)
Brian Jacques (pronounced 'jakes') was born in Liverpool, England on June 15th, 1939. Along with forty percent of the population of Liverpool, his ancestral roots are in Ireland, County Cork to be exact.

Brian grew up in the area around the Liverpool docks, where he attended St. John's School, an inner city school featuring a playground on its roof. At the age of ten, his very first day at St. Joh
More about Brian Jacques...

Redwall (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Redwall (Redwall, #1)
  • Mossflower (Redwall, #2)
  • Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)
  • Mariel of Redwall (Redwall, #4)
  • Salamandastron (Redwall, #5)
  • Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6)
  • The Bellmaker (Redwall, #7)
  • Outcast of Redwall (Redwall, #8)
  • Pearls of Lutra (Redwall, #9)
  • The Long Patrol (Redwall, #10)
Redwall (Redwall, #1) Mossflower (Redwall, #2) Lord Brocktree (Redwall, #13) Martin the Warrior (Redwall, #6) Mattimeo (Redwall, #3)