Start by marking “What Jesus Demands from the World” as Want to Read:
What Jesus Demands from the World

What Jesus Demands from the World

4.24  ·  Rating Details ·  1,042 Ratings  ·  56 Reviews

The four Gospels are filled with demands straight from the mouth of Jesus Christ. These demands are Jesus' way of showing us who he is and what he expects of us. They are not the harsh demands of a taskmaster. For example, the demand that we come to Jesus is like the demand of a father to his child in a burning window, "Jump to me!" Or like the demand of a rich, strong, te

Published September 2006 by Crossway

To ask other readers questions about What Jesus Demands from the World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about What Jesus Demands from the World

Bill
One of my favourite books by John Piper. In 50 short chapters he examines every significant command spoken by Jesus in the four Gospels. The best feature is Piper’s deliberate choice to refer exclusively to the gospels and the Old Testament without reference to later New Testament books. This results in A) genuine effort to make sense of Jesus’ words on their own terms without taking the tempting short cut of referring to Paul, B) a demonstration that every major Christian teaching has it’s orig ...more
Scott Ray
Aug 05, 2011 Scott Ray rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not his best book...but a great concept. John Piper is certainly one of the great Christian thinkers of our time and his books are always worth the read.

Despite what mny would say, Jesus does make demands of His followers. And to pull them out and look at them one by one (although only 50 are looked at) is very interesting and needed.

This book is very practical in that it really devels into how you can fullfill these demands (without being legalistic about it).

The chapters are stand alone chapte
Elizabeth
Sep 07, 2015 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really convicting and thought-provoking book. John Piper takes Jesus' own words and explains exactly what believers are called to in short, concise chapters (which I appreciated...much easier to take in small chunks at a time and think them over afterwards). I'm still mulling over some of his applications (Piper has the toughest stance on divorce and remarriage that I've ever read) and sometimes he appears close to saying you can lose your salvation, but in general, this is a great book.
Ki Goff
May 06, 2008 Ki Goff rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Hard-core study of some of the basic theology of Christians. Well written and profound. I highly recommend it to anyone.
Gee Peñas
Aug 11, 2016 Gee Peñas rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book years back but had'nt had the chance to read it due to my busy sked. But i come across it on my shelf, while dusting , the guilt hit me hard and i just grab it. Set on pile with my other books in my bedroom. after 3 days i started reading it and got the shock of my life when i come across the seven important demands of Jesus. So engrossed with my reading i've decided to take to work so I can focus with my reading. Unfortunately i did'nt make it. Going home from work i grab it ...more
Tim
Nov 05, 2008 Tim rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I have a weird love/non-love thing with John Piper's books. I've read a lot of them, and have been both deeply blessed and somewhat irritated by almost every one. I suppose part of it is tone - I think he likes to be an agitator and I don't respond well to that style. Part of it too is that he is often dogmatic about issues I see as second-order theological issues, and I prefer to see disputable issues approached with a greater measure of charity. But I keep coming back because he has such great ...more
Mike Knox
Jul 12, 2009 Mike Knox rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, theology
This is one of my favourite Piper books. In it he catalogues 50 of the radical demands Jesus makes of the world. His aim is to investigate “the meaning and motivation of Jesus’ commands in connection with his person and work” (p.19). The demands Jesus makes of us are impossible for us to meet. For this reason Piper starts with the “gentler” commands (p.25). Obedience to these foundational commands enables and empowers obedience to the harder ones. As always with Piper, obedience to Christ is not ...more
Brian Daniel
First, I'd say this is one of the 20 best books I've ever read. Or maybe, better put, one of my favorite 20 books I've read. It's organized into 50 demands of Jesus. And while these are demands in every sense of the word, this book actually reads more personally than that. That is, this is a book about our relationship with Jesus rooted in a very narrow understanding of this relationship through a fairly intense look into His exact words. Neatly organized into 50 of these demands, What Jesus Dem ...more
David Harris
Based on my engagement with John Piper's work, I see two kinds of books: detailed theological works that comprehensively build a case for certain theological convictions on exegetical grounds (Counted Righteous in Christ is my favorite of such) and devotional/topical books with many chapters/divisions that are easier to digest let lack cohesiveness and lucidity. This book is of the second kind, and while I like the idea behind the whole project, I feel it to be average and bringing little to the ...more
Stephanie
Aug 21, 2008 Stephanie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual-growth
Publisher's Description:

"The four Gospels are filled with demands straight from the mouth of Jesus Christ. These demands are Jesus’ way of showing us who he is and what he expects of us. They are not the harsh demands of a taskmaster. For example, the demand that we come to Jesus is like the demand of a father to his child in a burning window, “Jump to me!” Or like the demand of a rich, strong, tender, handsome husband to an unfaithful wife, “Come home!” What Jesus demands from the world can be
Eric Chappell
Vintage Piper. I technically give it 3.5 stars. Piper goes through the Gospels and picks up 50 demands of Jesus, explaining the demand and how Jesus gives what He demands. Piper only uses the Gospels as his source which I thought was one of more intriguing aspects of this book (I think the only other Bible reference he used was one passage in Isaiah once). There were a lot of great chapters in this book, but some of them were so-so. What I really like about Piper is how he breaks down difficult ...more
Ken Peters
Nov 15, 2013 Ken Peters rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fifty demands, all drawn from what Jesus said in the four Gospel accounts in the New Testament. Fifty chapters, all relatively brief, each one unpacking a command Jesus instructed us to observe. If you want a book that will challenge you while also emphasizing the grace of God we need to meet the challenge, this is the book for you. There's no shortage of application in this book! So much so, that I typically only read one or two chapters a week lest I'd have too much to work on all at once!
Elaine
Jul 08, 2008 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
We chose this book because we were tired of reading about Christian themes, we wanted a closer look at Jesus. Saturated in scripture, this Piper writes a book that really helps focus on the teachings and calling of Christ. The organization of the book, going from the most general commands to the more specific, with each one building on the rest, really worked for me. This is a great Christian book that will not take the place of the Word in your life, but draw you to it more.
Adison
Jan 17, 2013 Adison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a provocative and ultimately helpful read. If you're a Christian, it's a challenging and convicting book because we often fail to live, love and serve like Jesus does. If you're not a Christian but interested in what Jesus actually says, and what his words mean, I think that this book could be helpful because it could answer some questions, and raise a few more, which I think no one should be afraid of.
Tiffany
Jun 28, 2012 Tiffany marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I am loving how John Piper has laid out this book. He has broken down 50 demands Jesus proclaims in the Gospels- each chapter is a demand. He includes Scripture, explanations, and personal application. I have found myself journaling each chapter and including a prayer to God to help me follow Jesus more fully. I just finished #10- "Rejoice and Leap for Joy" and was struck by how little joy we expect from Jesus because of how much we overload ourselves with earthly pleasures.
Jeff
Jan 06, 2008 Jeff rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves John Piper, and wants to deepen their understanding of Jesus and what he demands.
This is a very deep book and deals with a lot of different aspects of being a Christian. It is not an easy book. Quite the contrary. Oh, it is not difficult to read. But the demands of Jesus that Piper lays out here are what is difficult. Some of them aren't. Some are more difficult than others.

It is a good read, though. I read if over a long stretch of time during my semi-daily devotions. I plan to go over it again, someday, much more slowly. It is a very worthy read.
JPaul
Nov 27, 2012 JPaul rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"God's love planned an amazing exchange: Jesus endured what we deserved so that we might enjoy what he deserved-- eternal life. And the way we to enjoy this life is by believing in Jesus. That's what he said: 'Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life'". pg. 50

First time reading it was 2/9/14. Second time was 12/27/16.
Jeff Short
This book is a collation of the demands or commands Jesus gave in the four Gospels. It's helpful to have the relevant passages from the Gospels brought together to fill out the whole picture of what Jesus said. Each command is a chapter so there are many chapters in this book. It could be read devotionally, a chapter a day. It is also an excellent resource to reference while studying.
Emmie
Jul 31, 2013 Emmie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: christian-living
I thoroughly enjoyed reading this book. Its simplicity is wonderful and it's very easy to read and understand while still holding to the deep Truths of God's Word. It is a great tool for better understanding Jesus's teachings and look at a summery of what all Jesus said. I highly recommend this book, and will likely reference it again in the future.
Christopher Hughes
At the risk of sounding like a like a Piper heretic, I believe that this is possibly his best! That includes Desiring God, his Magnum Opus!! It is an easy read and filled with theology explained simply. If I were to recommend any book to the person who is reading Piper for the first time, it would be this one.
Mark V
Oct 07, 2012 Mark V rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites. Very challenging in terms of being direct about what Jesus demands of you and of this world. Piper goes through scripture and categorizes quotations and parables of Jesus Christ into 50 things Jesus demands of the world. Hard to argue with scripture. Typically, well-written book from Piper. Not too academic.
Jessica
Apr 13, 2010 Jessica rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot put into words how this book impacted my personal walk with Jesus and delight in Him on a day-to-day basis. The book is divided into short chapters which make it a perfect, pre-worship devotional or a quick reminder of truth during a busy day.
Mano Chil
Piper has a marvelous mind and does his research wonderfully. Unfortunately, he repeats himself a lot of places and his style of writing is a bit dragging.

All in all, this is a good book for a Bible Study group!
Nicki
May 13, 2016 Nicki rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
I'm really impressed with the structure and detail of this book. Piper clearly goes through the gospels to show Jesus' heart and commands. And the way he sets up the book makes it very easy to read and understand. Loved it!
Jmajors
May 09, 2011 Jmajors rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Demand is not a word that I often associate with Christ, wanting to think more in the softer Jesus. Piper does a great job of relating Christ as having authority to demand and demonstrate the love that is the motive behind the demands
Korby
Dec 24, 2010 Korby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: journeyman-books
This is a great book to just go through just to see what Jesus actually commanded Christians to know. It is not overly difficult to read and is not quite as hard to read as most of Piper's books. But it was a good book to focus back on Jesus and what he said.
Amy
Dec 04, 2012 Amy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Though occasionally the demands felt redundant, What Jesus Demands from the World was a good book. Challenging and interesting!
May 29, 2009 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What Jesus Demands from the World by John Piper (2006)
Todd Bryant
Good book on various subjects. The chapters are short and could easily be used as a daily devotion book.
Jenn
May 19, 2008 Jenn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amazing resource on things Jesus has demanded and insight into what that means for life now. I learned a lot about serving God or money, about loving my enemies...
  • The Glory of Christ
  • Hard to Believe: The High Cost and Infinite Value of Following Jesus
  • Worldliness: Resisting the Seduction of a Fallen World
  • For the Fame of God's Name: Essays in Honor of John Piper
  • The Discipline of Spiritual Discernment
  • The Gospel for Real Life: Turn to the Liberating Power of the Cross... Every Day
  • A Quest for Godliness
  • The Deliberate Church: Building Your Ministry on the Gospel
  • Tempted and Tried: Temptation and the Triumph of Christ
  • Father, Son, & Holy Spirit: Relationships, Roles, & Relevance
  • A Call to Spiritual Reformation: Priorities from Paul and His Prayers
  • 10 Questions to Diagnose Your Spiritual Health
  • The Enemy Within: Straight Talk about the Power and Defeat of Sin
  • The Godly Man's Picture
  • No Place for Truth: or Whatever Happened to Evangelical Theology?
  • In Christ Alone: Living the Gospel Centered Life
  • Treasuring God in Our Traditions
  • The Life of God in the Soul of Man
John Piper is founder and teacher of desiringGod.org and chancellor of Bethlehem College & Seminary. For 33 years, he served as senior pastor at Bethlehem Baptist Church, Minneapolis, Minnesota.

He grew up in Greenville, South Carolina, and studied at Wheaton College, Fuller Theological Seminary (B.D.), and the University of Munich (D.theol.). For six years, he taught Biblical Studies at Bethe
More about John Piper...

“Not to abide in Jesus’ love would mean that we stop believing that we are loved by Jesus. We look at our circumstances - perhaps persecution or disease or abandonment - and we conclude that we are not loved by Jesus anymore. That’s the opposite of abiding in the love of Jesus. So abiding in his love means continuing to believe, moment by moment, that we are loved.” 26 likes
“The sins that should have brought condemnation on us, God laid on Jesus. God’s love planned an amazing exchange: Jesus endured what we deserved so that we might enjoy what he deserved—eternal life. And the way we come to enjoy this
life is by believing in Jesus. That’s what he said: 'Truly, truly, I say to you, whoever believes has eternal life' (John 6:47; cf. Luke 8:12).”
2 likes