Start by marking “The Divine Wind” as Want to Read:
The Divine Wind

The Divine Wind

2.94  ·  Rating Details  ·  343 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
On the eve of WWII, suspicion runs rampant in Hartley Penrose's small town. Even though they've done nothing wrong, the town is turning against its native Japanese residents - including Mitsy Sennosuke, the girl Hart loves despite himself. The result is a wrenching, unforgettable story of romance, betrayal, and the turmoils that rock both the world and the heart.
Published July 1st 2004 by Scholastic Paperbacks (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about The Divine Wind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Divine Wind

Brenda
Michael and Ita Penrose had lived in Broome, Western Australia a lot of years – their two children, Hartley and Alice were friends with Mitsy Sennosuke, the Japanese daughter of Zeke and Sadako. Michael was a pearling master, running six luggers which were crewed by a mixture of nationalities, but always with a Japanese diver aboard each lugger. Zeke worked for Michael as the diver on his leading lugger, the Ita Penrose - the love of Michael and Ita preserved by words – but Ita wasn’t happy in B ...more
Kate
Apr 12, 2009 Kate rated it did not like it
Argh! I really wish my school would pick some decent books for us poor students to read! I am an absolute book nerd, and I think I can appreciate a wide range of genres, but this was painful.
I read it in a day - not because it was a page turner, but because I could not wait to get it over and done with.
Only read it if you are absolutely desperate.
Just my opinion.
Courtlizgrace
This was good...different though...

Its funny beacuse the ending imlies so much and is so confusing at the same time...Yet in a funny way it seems as this is the only way that it could end...
France
Oct 25, 2014 France rated it it was ok
The description of it is false hahaha it's not that good
Parker Shelton
Feb 01, 2015 Parker Shelton rated it it was ok
The Divine Wind is a pure love story and written mostly for a girl. The story takes place in a small town in Australia in 1946. Hartley Penrose is a young man who lives in the town and tells about all the racism and hatred towards certain races that filters throughout the town. A young Japanese girl, Misty Sennosuke, falls in love with Hartley. Despite all the hatred and disapproval of the two being together, that didn't stop them. There are points of betrayal, love, and hate all throughout this ...more
Katherine
Oct 06, 2014 Katherine rated it really liked it
Set in 1940's Broome, Garry Disher paints an evocative picture of life in this isolated town which depends on the pearling industry. Hartley and Alice are best friends with Mitzi an Australian born Japanese girl whose father works as a pearl diver for Hartley and Alice's father. Of the 1000 or so Japanese people living in Australia around this time about half lived in Brooome because of pearling. They were well accepted and integrated into society but the impeding war with Japan threatens this p ...more
Richie Partington
Jul 23, 2013 Richie Partington rated it it was amazing
15 July 2002 THE DIVINE WIND: A LOVE STORY by Gary Disher, Arthur Levine Books/Scholastic, May 2002

"Gonna lay down my sword and shield
Down by the riverside
Ain't gonna study war no more"

War is such stupid, insane, and horrible shit. I felt this way as a kid in the '60s, watching the evening new reports from Vietnam. Back in those days of adolescence and assassinations, my emerging heroes were calling for us to "Make Love, Not War." I've felt these sentiments resurface time and again throughout my
Toni
Jun 03, 2012 Toni rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. it was light reading but some very heavy issues were covered, and it is a skilled authour who can combine that and still make a book enjoyable.
The themes were all very real - and the descriptions of the characters is fablous. I could imagine the characters in front of me - or relate them to people I know. The same with the way the author writes about feelings - he has an ability to describe emotions so the reader can immedialtly relate to some one you know - or maybe
Hannah Elise {You're Just As Sane As I Am}
Oct 30, 2014 Hannah Elise {You're Just As Sane As I Am} rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Hannah Elise by: My school
I actually liked this book, I wasn't sure if I would because I don't really read stuff like this and it was a compulsary read set by the school but by the end I had actually found it interesting, mainly for the stuff about the war as I love learning about wars and Modern History so yeah overall I rate The Divine Wind 3 stars.
Jul 29, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
I enjoyed this, it was very well-written. Not all the time, some passages seemed a bit self-conscious and 'writerly', but every now and then he'd describe something in a few sentences and I'd really SEE it. It was slow-moving and thoughtful, a little disjointed at times, but always interesting. I thought the subject matter/history was well-researched and not something you read about all that often (i.e. life in Broome during WWII and attitudes to Japanese immigrant pearl fishers there). I liked ...more
Helen
May 15, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it
A heart breaking story of life in Broome during the 2nd WW. Well worth the read.
Astrid 1998
Feb 18, 2014 Astrid 1998 rated it liked it
Hart (the main character and narrator) is very boring and non-descriptive
Isobel
Mar 31, 2016 Isobel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this in day day purely because I couldn't wait for it to end.
NoraReads
Nov 17, 2015 NoraReads rated it it was ok
Had to read it for school.
Cynthia
Short, quick read simpler worded but very deep story that demonstrates a true meaning of what and how friendship is.
Debbie Johnson
Sep 05, 2010 Debbie Johnson rated it really liked it
I am reading this as part of a university unit, ENG315 Contemporary Children's Literature. I am enjoying this book even though it is aimed at teenagers.

This book is set in Broome during WW2. Hart falls in love with Mitsy who is Japanese. They face so many difficulties during this time as they emerge into adult hood. I won't give away what happens in the end. A great book if you like a war related story.
Phair
To me this book lacked focus- it tried to cover too much and as a result I was hard put to recall some key points without going back and checking. Overall it had a good feel for Australian history in the war era. It also felt more like an adult novel than a YA. It got glowing reviews in library literature but I don't really feel it was all that memorable or well written.
Felicity
Jul 15, 2013 Felicity rated it it was amazing
Amazing book. A great example of how the white Australia policy effected so many different people in different ways. A heartthrobbing story of love, war and persistence. The themes are conveyed very well and although the book is short it covers so many significant issues of that war time.
Tiana
Jun 01, 2012 Tiana rated it liked it
These three stars are based on the writing alone, and not the character's. The writing was great, the character's were a bore. I know that, being such a serious topic, the character's wouldn't be too much entertaining, but they just held no personality for me.
Jenny Nevarez
May 10, 2015 Jenny Nevarez rated it really liked it
I think this book interesting because its about a somewhat sad love story. The narrators point of view is a bit confusing which set me off a little bit, but other than that everything was good.
Michelle White
I like this book. It would be good to use in a unit on World War 2. It talks about the experience of Japanese-Americans that are usually glossed over. I got it from the IUS Library.
Ash
Jun 19, 2015 Ash rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
Seeing as I had to read this book for school, I was very suprised that for once it was actually an ok book they had chosen. Not an amazing book, but not awful either
Ralph McEwen
Jan 18, 2011 Ralph McEwen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ralph by: Cheryl
This is a brief but interesting story. A glimpse into the life and times just prior to and through the WWII in a small Australian harbor town. I enjoyed it.
Suzanne Phyoe
Jan 22, 2016 Suzanne Phyoe rated it really liked it
very expressive. I can feel the frustration, fear and feelings of the war period. Yet there were still happy moments.
Nickie
Apr 23, 2008 Nickie rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: people interested in war
i don't usually like what we have to read for english but for once (also the tomorrow series) i liked what they picked
Karren
Aug 25, 2012 Karren rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting history of Japanese immigrants in far Northern Australia pre WWII, well written, easy enjoyable read
Dawn
Feb 03, 2012 Dawn rated it really liked it
Really well written. It captures the conflict between life-long friends caused by the propaganda of war.
Histteach24
Jan 24, 2011 Histteach24 rated it liked it
Short read and a decent perspective on Japanese internment and Australia's part in WWII.
Momogozane
Feb 21, 2009 Momogozane rated it it was ok
I can say this book is only okay.. and the ending is rather dissapointed..
Danny
Nov 30, 2011 Danny rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Had to read this for school all those years ago.
  • Only the Heart
  • Secrets of the Terra-Cotta Soldier
  • Lord of the Nutcracker Men
  • Maestro
  • A Bridge To Wiseman's Cove
  • The Dark Light
  • White Feathers (Tamar Deane Trilogy #2)
  • Tiger Men
  • Transported: The Diary of Elizabeth Harvey, Australia, 1790
  • The Forgotten Pearl
  • Absolution Creek
  • Channeling Cleopatra
  • Unforgotten
  • The Scent of Murder (Dr Dody McCleland, #3)
  • Paper Daisies
  • The Story of Rolf & the Viking Bow
  • Heart of the Country (Flinders Ranges Series #1)
  • Or Forever Be Damned
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full
More about Garry Disher...