Start by marking “Writing Fiction: An Introduction to the Craft” as Want to Read:
Writing Fiction: An Introduction to the Craft

Writing Fiction: An Introduction to the Craft

Useful for writers at any level or age, this guide explains the basic steps to effective fiction writing. From an award-winning author, sound, practical advice is included on the most significant elements of fiction, such as plot, character development, and voice, and strategies are provided for the effective use of tense and the dialogue. All forms of fiction are explored ...more
Published April 1st 2003 by Allen Unwin (first published July 3rd 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Writing Fiction, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Writing Fiction

Kellie
Sep 08, 2015 Kellie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic resource for new writers

A really accessible, readable book laying bare the basic elements of fiction writing: setting, POV, character, plot, structure, outlines are all covered along with commonsense advice on how to put it all together, with lots of examples.

Particularly worthwhile were the invaluable tips Disher gives to help new writers to get over the hurdles most likely to stop a newbie in their tracks: writers block, lack of ideas, and diagnostics to get a story back on track.

N
Joyce McPherson
Dec 09, 2016 Joyce McPherson rated it really liked it
A practical book that taught me to ask myself: what is the scene for each chapter and what is its function? He recommends increasing speech and action. There should be a hook and a tag (turning point or summary) for each scene, and a balance between scenes and summaries. This book contains two valuable chapters on “The Words on the Page” and “Troubleshooting.”
Joel
Feb 27, 2014 Joel rated it liked it
The first few chapters and the final few chapters were good. The middle stuff was covered somewhere between 4th and 6th grade for me...
Amanda O'Shea
May 13, 2013 Amanda O'Shea rated it it was amazing
I read this while I was doing a short writing course. I learned heaps by doing the course, but this book was amazing. I will be referring to it many times in the years to come!
Evelyn
Aug 08, 2010 Evelyn rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
I've read a lot of writing advice books, and this one was just average. Nothing too special, though the analysis of the short story was interesting.
Brett Buckley
Jun 09, 2014 Brett Buckley rated it liked it
Shelves: writing
Not ultimately memorable.
Winston Brown
Dec 08, 2012 Winston Brown rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The most informative I have read on the subject. Best yet.
Leticia
Sep 19, 2015 Leticia rated it really liked it
The first edition of this book is quite simply one of the best I've read on the topic.
The second edition pales in comparison. I wish I hadn't let friends loan my original!
Tanner Muller
Tanner Muller rated it it was amazing
Dec 08, 2016
Catherine C. Turner
Catherine C. Turner rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Brittany Farrell
Brittany Farrell rated it liked it
May 31, 2016
Kristina
Kristina rated it really liked it
Jun 15, 2015
Tom
Tom rated it really liked it
Sep 18, 2013
Tee
Tee rated it did not like it
Nov 26, 2010
Danielle
Danielle rated it really liked it
Feb 12, 2015
Nola
Nola rated it really liked it
Apr 03, 2013
Trevor
Trevor rated it it was amazing
May 08, 2012
Joshua
Joshua rated it liked it
Aug 22, 2011
Jay
Jay rated it liked it
Feb 14, 2014
Mary Warner
Mary Warner rated it liked it
Oct 06, 2014
Martha
Martha rated it it was ok
Sep 23, 2015
Erica
Erica rated it liked it
Jul 01, 2011
Nicole
Nicole rated it it was ok
May 30, 2012
Sandra
Sandra rated it really liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Screendoor
Screendoor rated it liked it
Sep 07, 2009
Alan Bisco
Alan Bisco rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2015
W.J. Howard
W.J. Howard rated it liked it
Jan 09, 2011
Mads
Mads rated it liked it
May 04, 2012
Tabitha
Tabitha rated it really liked it
Oct 13, 2016
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Jun 20, 2012
Garry Disher was born in 1949 and grew up on his parents' farm in South Australia.

He gained post graduate degrees from Adelaide and Melbourne Universities. In 1978 he was awarded a creative writing fellowship to Stanford University, where he wrote his first short story collection. He travelled widely overseas, before returning to Australia, where he taught creative writing, finally becoming a full
More about Garry Disher...