Start by marking “Promise the Moon” as Want to Read:
Promise the Moon

Promise the Moon

3.51  ·  Rating Details  ·  174 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
In the heart of every family
lie shattering secrets,
and a love that lasts forever...
When war and its aftermath take Josh from Natalie and her children, shemust find a way to heal her broken family. And so Natalie begins writing letters from Josh that she hides for young Anna and Toby to find-notes from heaven that attempt to explain why he left, to offer comfortand wisdom
Published (first published May 20th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Promise the Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Promise the Moon

Annie Madison
May 23, 2008 Annie Madison rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible book, so beautifully written. I adored Arnold's first novel, Pieces of My Sister's Life, and was so excited to see she'd written a second so soon after the first. The writing is just gorgeous, and the characters so realistic you'll want to comfort them. The storyline was also intriguing and topical, about a Marine family struggling to learn the secrets their husband/father left behind, which lead to his suicide, writing letters and giving gifts from him after his death in an attempt t ...more
Amy
Jul 24, 2008 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Luanne Rice, Kristin Hannah
Recommended to Amy by: saw it recommended in a bookclub flyer
Very good storyline and character development. Definitely enjoyed the topic and plot - have not read any books that have addressed the emotional effects of war and the Marines on the soldiers and family. A wonderful journey into this story!!! At times I was frustrated with Anna's character...not sure her actions and choices were appropriately written for a child of that age. I also felt that the main character revisited the same thoughts throughout the book...felt like I was reading the same pas ...more
Katie(babs)
May 19, 2009 Katie(babs) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josh is now dead and his wife, Natalie, doesn't know what she will do. He left her behind with two young children, a daughter Anna, age ten, and a son, Toby, age five. Josh, a Marine, came back from his second tour in Iraq a changed man. Natalie keeps close the electronic Blackberry where he wrote down his daily schedules because of his lack of memory from post traumatic stress. She is afraid to see the last message he put in it on the day of his death. See, Josh did not die a hero fighting a wa ...more
Jodie
Aug 27, 2008 Jodie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military families
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Polly Dyar
Dec 10, 2008 Polly Dyar rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author does an amazing job of stepping into the mind of today's military family and the emotional trauma of this war. I could not put this book down... I wanted so much for these characters. I forget that it was just a book and I could not change the outcome.
Tristan
Jul 10, 2011 Tristan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Emotionally raw. The story is so real and not calculated like so much literature can be. I would have given it 5 stars but there was a lot of unnecessary vulgarity so that knocked it down a star for me. But I loved how beautifully it was written.
Kristi
Aug 11, 2011 Kristi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a book on the grocery store shelves that looked interesting to me one day when I needed to have something to read while on my lunch break. I was surprised it was as good as it was.
Norabee
Sep 20, 2008 Norabee rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to read stories about the after effects of war
A Family Pieces Together a Soldier’s Story

A touching and sad story surrounding the tragedies of war and the impact that suicide has on a young family. Elizabeth Joy Arnold is a talented writer but this story could have been tighter. I think she stretches the story to include too much, perhaps showing the myriad of ways that grief affects every aspect of our lives, but I think that I would have enjoyed this story if had been just a little shorter.

We are introduced to our main characters shortly a
Connie
Sep 28, 2009 Connie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about a mother and her two children who are putting their lives back together after their father/husband returns from Iraq and commits suicide.

You can't help but feel sorry for this broken family. Natalie, the mother, is writing letters from the father, Josh, to her children. Anna (11 y/o) knows this is not true and but then starts giving presents from her dad and telling her mother and brother she is talking to him. It all just spirals out of control.

I don't know WTF Natalie w
Kelly
Jul 16, 2013 Kelly rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the idea of the book. As someone who has lost a father at a young age (not from war) I was so looking forward to this book. While I could relate to some things I thought the little girl was the biggest brat and that alone made me want to finish the book faster. However I do respect the fact that people do grieve differently and can go through their own stages of grief and anger. I think ill just stick to my own memories and feel a sense of comfort in my family and I moving in in our own ...more
Vicki
Mar 15, 2016 Vicki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Rather bleak.
Kristin
Not sure where I got this book but it was in my 'to read' pile. 3.5 stars. It was actually a pretty good read that gave me some insight into the world of military wives (probably much more realistic than what you can see on TV's 'Army Wives.' Wonderfully written characters and enough a mystery to keep me wanting to figure things out.
Selena
According to my Good Reads profile, I had this marked as already read. It might have been one of the ones where I never finished it. I'm giving it another try, but (and this is awful of me) the kids are driving me crazy.
Ivy
Apr 20, 2008 Ivy rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A 500 page melodramatic wallow in grief that brings resolution and explanation to a tragedy that should have none. Very well written, but after a while you get tired of having her rip your heart out for no reason.
lexy
Oct 06, 2008 lexy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book is about a family whose husband/dad dies. it tells of there hard journey to find a new life. but i think this book is more for girls rather than boys... at least when it comes to teenagers
Julie
Dec 10, 2010 Julie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sort of depressing, but I liked it. Couple of bad words but overall really good. Makes you think about the trials a military family goes through. Makes you appreciate them all the more.
Kelly Keefe
This started out really good and I had high hopes for it but I lost interest about halfway through. I just finished it today and it was ok...but I didnt like the ending. Next!
Donna
Jul 20, 2008 Donna rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A soldier who was brain injured commits suicide. The story is about how his family copes. I hadn't seriously thought about this aspect of war. Scary!
Jude
Sep 17, 2008 Jude rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book, sad story with uplifting ending. Author keeps you in a little suspense about a couple things throughout the book.
Margaret
This was a good book, a little sad. I love how the author told the story from different perspectives. It was a bit predictable.
Camille Robison
Jul 08, 2012 Camille Robison rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

Didn't love this one, but it was an easy quick read. Found more insight with the kids than the adults.
Kaelee
Mar 08, 2011 Kaelee rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Being a military family I thought I might enjoy this book. No. It stunk. I don't know why I even gave it two stars!
Natalie
Great book about the strength of a woman as a mother and wife. I often need that inspiration!
Roxie
Aug 23, 2015 Roxie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found the storyline good..but found that it dragged on and on
Ann
May 31, 2009 Ann rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book hit a little too close to home at times.
Allison
Sep 01, 2008 Allison rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2008
Kind of slow moving.....hard to keep interested in it.
Karen
Jun 30, 2008 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very realistic characters and dialogue.
Sue
Aug 08, 2011 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful yet heartbreaking story.
Gretchen
3 1/2 stars for this one!
Augustin Ra
Augustin Ra marked it as to-read
Apr 03, 2016
  • The Delicate Storm (John Cardinal and Lise Delorme Mystery, #2)
  • Devotions for the God Girl: A 365-Day Journey
  • This Is Graceanne's Book: A Novel
  • Nothing Is Quite Forgotten in Brooklyn
  • Remember Me
  • The Last Embrace
  • The Boys Are Back
  • Heaven Scent
  • In Cold Pursuit: A Mystery From The  Last Continent (Valena Walker, #1)
  • Chicken Soup for the Golden Soul: Heartwarming Stories for People 60 and Over (Chicken Soup for the Soul)
  • Just a Little Critter Collection (Little Critter)
  • The Secret Sister
  • Baby Needs a New Pair of Shoes
  • Endangered Species (Angel: Season 3, #6)
  • Breakfast In Bed
  • The Founding Foodies: How Washington, Jefferson, and Franklin Revolutionized American Cuisine
  • The Truth of the Matter
  • Gentleman Revolutionary: Gouverneur Morris, the Rake Who Wrote the Constitution