Promise the Moon

Promise the Moon

3.44 of 5 stars 3.44  ·  rating details  ·  139 ratings  ·  27 reviews
In the heart of every family
lie shattering secrets,
and a love that lasts forever...
When war and its aftermath take Josh from Natalie and her children, shemust find a way to heal her broken family. And so Natalie begins writing letters from Josh that she hides for young Anna and Toby to find-notes from heaven that attempt to explain why he left, to offer comfortand wisdom...more
Published (first published May 20th 2008)

Annie Madison
Incredible book, so beautifully written. I adored Arnold's first novel, Pieces of My Sister's Life, and was so excited to see she'd written a second so soon after the first. The writing is just gorgeous, and the characters so realistic you'll want to comfort them. The storyline was also intriguing and topical, about a Marine family struggling to learn the secrets their husband/father left behind, which lead to his suicide, writing letters and giving gifts from him after his death in an attempt t...more
Amy
Jul 24, 2008 Amy rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: readers of Luanne Rice, Kristin Hannah
Recommended to Amy by: saw it recommended in a bookclub flyer
Very good storyline and character development. Definitely enjoyed the topic and plot - have not read any books that have addressed the emotional effects of war and the Marines on the soldiers and family. A wonderful journey into this story!!! At times I was frustrated with Anna's character...not sure her actions and choices were appropriately written for a child of that age. I also felt that the main character revisited the same thoughts throughout the book...felt like I was reading the same pas...more
Katie(babs)
Josh is now dead and his wife, Natalie, doesn't know what she will do. He left her behind with two young children, a daughter Anna, age ten, and a son, Toby, age five. Josh, a Marine, came back from his second tour in Iraq a changed man. Natalie keeps close the electronic Blackberry where he wrote down his daily schedules because of his lack of memory from post traumatic stress. She is afraid to see the last message he put in it on the day of his death. See, Josh did not die a hero fighting a wa...more
Jodie
Aug 27, 2008 Jodie rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: military families
Shelves: fiction, favorites
Polly Dyar
The author does an amazing job of stepping into the mind of today's military family and the emotional trauma of this war. I could not put this book down... I wanted so much for these characters. I forget that it was just a book and I could not change the outcome.
Tristan
Emotionally raw. The story is so real and not calculated like so much literature can be. I would have given it 5 stars but there was a lot of unnecessary vulgarity so that knocked it down a star for me. But I loved how beautifully it was written.
Kristi
This was a book on the grocery store shelves that looked interesting to me one day when I needed to have something to read while on my lunch break. I was surprised it was as good as it was.
Norabee
Sep 20, 2008 Norabee rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: those who want to read stories about the after effects of war
A Family Pieces Together a Soldier’s Story

A touching and sad story surrounding the tragedies of war and the impact that suicide has on a young family. Elizabeth Joy Arnold is a talented writer but this story could have been tighter. I think she stretches the story to include too much, perhaps showing the myriad of ways that grief affects every aspect of our lives, but I think that I would have enjoyed this story if had been just a little shorter.

We are introduced to our main characters shortly a...more
Connie
This is a story about a mother and her two children who are putting their lives back together after their father/husband returns from Iraq and commits suicide.

You can't help but feel sorry for this broken family. Natalie, the mother, is writing letters from the father, Josh, to her children. Anna (11 y/o) knows this is not true and but then starts giving presents from her dad and telling her mother and brother she is talking to him. It all just spirals out of control.

I don't know WTF Natalie w...more
Kelly
I liked the idea of the book. As someone who has lost a father at a young age (not from war) I was so looking forward to this book. While I could relate to some things I thought the little girl was the biggest brat and that alone made me want to finish the book faster. However I do respect the fact that people do grieve differently and can go through their own stages of grief and anger. I think ill just stick to my own memories and feel a sense of comfort in my family and I moving in in our own...more
Kristin
Not sure where I got this book but it was in my 'to read' pile. 3.5 stars. It was actually a pretty good read that gave me some insight into the world of military wives (probably much more realistic than what you can see on TV's 'Army Wives.' Wonderfully written characters and enough a mystery to keep me wanting to figure things out.
Selena
According to my Good Reads profile, I had this marked as already read. It might have been one of the ones where I never finished it. I'm giving it another try, but (and this is awful of me) the kids are driving me crazy.
Ivy
A 500 page melodramatic wallow in grief that brings resolution and explanation to a tragedy that should have none. Very well written, but after a while you get tired of having her rip your heart out for no reason.
lexy
this book is about a family whose husband/dad dies. it tells of there hard journey to find a new life. but i think this book is more for girls rather than boys... at least when it comes to teenagers
Julie
Sort of depressing, but I liked it. Couple of bad words but overall really good. Makes you think about the trials a military family goes through. Makes you appreciate them all the more.
Kelly Keefe
This started out really good and I had high hopes for it but I lost interest about halfway through. I just finished it today and it was ok...but I didnt like the ending. Next!
Donna
A soldier who was brain injured commits suicide. The story is about how his family copes. I hadn't seriously thought about this aspect of war. Scary!
Jude
Good book, sad story with uplifting ending. Author keeps you in a little suspense about a couple things throughout the book.
Margaret
This was a good book, a little sad. I love how the author told the story from different perspectives. It was a bit predictable.
Camille Robison

Didn't love this one, but it was an easy quick read. Found more insight with the kids than the adults.
Kaelee
Being a military family I thought I might enjoy this book. No. It stunk. I don't know why I even gave it two stars!
Natalie
Great book about the strength of a woman as a mother and wife. I often need that inspiration!
Ann
This book hit a little too close to home at times.
Allison
Kind of slow moving.....hard to keep interested in it.
Karen
Very realistic characters and dialogue.
Sue
Wonderful yet heartbreaking story.
Gretchen
3 1/2 stars for this one!
Sdhall0824
Sdhall0824 is currently reading it
Jul 23, 2014
Gmccs
Gmccs marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014
Cara
Cara marked it as to-read
Jul 21, 2014