Start by marking “Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented” as Want to Read:
Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented

Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  1,638 ratings  ·  44 reviews
Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito’s 2008 Baked was published to national critical acclaim and raved about across the blogosphere. Since then, their profile has gotten even bigger, with continued praise from Oprah and Martha Stewart; product availability in every Whole Foods across the U.S.; and a new bakery in Charleston, South Carolina, with even more traffic than their ori ...more
Published October 1st 2010 by Stewart, Tabori and Chang (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Baked Explorations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Baked Explorations

Aryanna
So far, I've made the Stump de Noël and the Mississippi Mud Pie. Both of which I absolutely loved. This is not a book for the baking inexperienced though. As I read through it, I know what's going on, but they kind of expect you to know whats what. This isn't the book to walk you through the basics. For me, it was an excellent birthday present, but if you're looking at it you should definitely pick it up and give a glance through before you decide if it's for you.
Peggy
I checked this book out of the libary and it did not take long before I realized this was one of those "keeper" cookbooks that I just had to own!

Recipes in this book are categorized into: tarts/pies, cookies, cakes, other pastry, and even breakfast. And I have to say, I have seen many a recipe for doughnuts, but never have I been so inspired to make them until I saw the recipe for them in this book!

The baked treats in this cookbook are familiar but with a twist that is sure to impress. They loo
Mandy
this book will aid me in my quest to weigh 10 thousand pounds. Really though, I'm making the Mississippi Mud pie no. 2 but the cookie recipes make cookies that are too big for me to make for xmas presents.
Vy
I was intrigued by a recipe I saw for Tomato Soup Cupcakes. I tried them, and they were so good that I got the book. It is a fun read, and the recipes seem accessible even for those of us who are not pros in the kitchen. The recipes are interesting takes on "classic" desserts, often ones that are regional. There are so many things that I'd like to make. Nutella scones? Malted waffles? Red velvet whoopie pies? Sweet and salty brownies? Yes, please!

The photographs are charming and have a nostalgi
Janie
Lewis, Matt & Renato Poliafito (text) & Tina Rupp (photogs.). Baked Explorations: Classic American Desserts Reinvented. Stewart, Tabori & Chang. 2010. 208p. photogs. index. ISBN 9781584798507. $29.95. COOKING
Those who liked Lewis and Poliafito's first cookbook, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, are going to love this one. The owners of Baked, with locations in Brooklyn, NY, and Charleston, SC, have received national media attention and were recently featured on Oprah and Throwdown! wit
AV8R
Bakery owners Matt Lewis and Renato Poliafito's dream was simple: they wanted to create a classic American bakery. Their flagship Baked store opened in Red Hook, Brooklyn in 2005, and the second opened in Charleston in 2009. In their first cookbook Baked: New Frontiers in Baking, Matt and Renato focused on recreating classic American desserts like cobbler, red velvet cake, apple and pecan pies, and diner-style desserts tempered with more modern touches like matcha (green tea powder), chipotle, a ...more
Amanda
This is my favorite of the 3 Baked books, in that it has the most recipes that I have made or want to make. This is a good cookbook, with a nice mix of recipes and beautiful photography. As with all the Baked books, the writing is filled with a high level of food snobbery and the recipe directions could stand to be simplified.
Heydi Smith
I really appreciated this book. It seems to make a good amount so I'd have to make it for a gathering but the recipes were interesting and varied and I liked the back stories behind them.

I wish every dish had a picture.
I have made so many Baked recipes over the past two and a half months. I love their Chocolate Coffee Cake. I have made it twice for birthday occasions. The first time I made it I became so excited to put it together that I put on all three layers of the cake without any frosting in between them. I was practically in tears. I thought I ruined it. In the end after many hours of repair the cake turned out great. The second time I made it went much smoother. I took my time and paid close attention t ...more
Beth

From the library.

This one gets four stars. It was a wonderful collection of unique recipes covering everything from cookies to pies to cakes, and beyond. Granted, some of the recipes are more advanced, but armed with a trusty KitchenAid mixer the majority of the recipes will be more than manageable for the average from scratch baker. The Honey Corn Muffins came out very well and didn't last long enough for me to photograph them for the review! On the other
Brenna
I liked the first book better. Not that this isn't good, it's just a bit too fancy for my taste. For example, a lot of crusts made out of cookies in a food processor. Sounds amazing but alas many of us do not own a food processor. Anyway it has great pictures and may be better for others.

My only advice for the next book would be way more chocolate/peanut butter combos. I only found one recipe for it.
April
These guys are my new favorites for sweet recipes. I've made their brownies, root beer bundt cake, & turtle bars & all are excellent. Can't wait to try more!
I made the chocolate whoopie pies out of this book and they were delicious! I would like to try more things.
Aliya Tudor
I've baked many many recipes from this book. All are fantastic.
Liz De Coster
There were many more recipes in this book that I was interested in trying out than in the first book, Baked: New Frontiers in Baking. I think the focus of this book, on classic American desserts, was clearer, and the book was more focused on recipes than techniques.
Audrey Herrera
I think that this book would be very interesting to a cook, but to me, not so much. It is very organized and informational.
My teen-aged son jokingly calls this the "pretentious cookbook" because some of the ingredients are only available at a specialty grocery, and the recipes are so labor-intensive. However, we keep coming back to it, because every recipe we have tried has been unquestionably delicious! A fun book to look at and read, as well.
Marleene
The photography was superb.
The recipes were not bad - but not really outstanding. The food writing was a bit too self- consciously blasé. A food author should ALWAYS be excited to share his creations with his readers.
Beka
Though their reinventions aren't quite as exciting, I still enjoyed looking through this cookbook. I found a couple exciting recipes for myself, and I probably would eat anything made from this book.
Tara
Witty and informative, this is a fantastic cookbook to read and reminisce with (many of the desserts are American classics, reinterpreted). Also, every recipe I’ve tried so far has been perfect.
Linda
Just got this for Christmas -- it was on my wish list! Love the design (beautiful book) and recipe choices. Can't wait to try them out and some day I need to visit their bakery in Brooklyn.
Heather
Great. I found the apricot rosemary squares and oatmeal chocolate chip cake with cream cheese frosting to be of particular interest, and have bookmarked them to be later tried.
Herrera, Audrey
This was not very fun to read, because it is a cook book, but I did learn how to make many things. It is also very orginized and neat.
Gretchen
My favorite bakery! If you have to choose between the two Baked cookbooks, get the first one, it has more of their bakery recipes than this one.
Dori
Definitely some delicious recipes in here with some twists on American classics, but overall the recipes and layout felt a bit too formal for me.
Crystal
Another beautiful baking book from Baked. These recipes aren't quite as accessible as the ones in the first book, but they're still interesting.
Wendy
Really liked the Grasshopper Bar recipe, but it was an all day endeavor and a bit fussy for everyday. Might still try the Nutella scones :)
Ashley
This is by far one of my favorite baking cookbooks. The recipes are original and delicious. I highly recommend the Orange Creamsicle Tart.
Jess
yay! I got this for xmas 2010 and if the recipes are as lovely as the pictures, it's going to be good times around my house
Elizabeth
I love these cookbooks! I use them frequently and adore the recipes! I also like the friendly chatty style if the writing.
  • Flour: Spectacular Recipes from Boston's Flour Bakery + Cafe
  • Sticky, Chewy, Messy, Gooey: Desserts for the Serious Sweet Tooth
  • Sugar Baby: Confections, Candies, Cakes & Other Delicious Recipes for Cooking with Sugar
  • Bon Appetit Desserts: The Cookbook for All Things Sweet and Wonderful
  • Ready for Dessert: My Best Recipes
  • Miette: Recipes from San Francisco's Most Charming Pastry Shop
  • The Art and Soul of Baking
  • Sarabeth's Bakery: From My Hands to Yours
  • Martha Stewart's New Pies and Tarts: 150 Recipes for Old-Fashioned and Modern Favorites
  • Rose's Heavenly Cakes
  • The Craft of Baking: Cakes, Cookies, and Other Sweets with Ideas for Inventing Your Own
  • The Pastry Queen: Royally Good Recipes From the Texas Hill Country's Rather Sweet Bakery and Cafe
  • Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Alice Medrich
  • Baking
  • The Modern Baker: Time-Saving Techniques for Breads, Tarts, Pies, Cakes and Cookies
  • Bouchon Bakery
  • Rustic Fruit Desserts: Crumbles, Buckles, Cobblers, Pandowdies, and More
  • BakeWise: The Hows and Whys of Successful Baking with Over 200 Magnificent Recipes
Baked: New Frontiers in Baking Baked Elements: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients: The Importance of Being Baked in 10 Favorite Ingredients Chocolate Bar