Start by marking “A Misty Mourning” as Want to Read:
A Misty Mourning

A Misty Mourning (Torie O'Shea #4)

3.93 of 5 stars 3.93  ·  rating details  ·  296 ratings  ·  28 reviews
A ten-hour car trip with your eighty-year-old grandmother is never much fun, especially if you're seven months pregnant. But when Torie O'Shea's longtime family friend Clarissa Hart Campbell insists that she and Grandma Gert come for a visit at her West Virginia boarding house, they just can't say no to the 101-year-old dynamo.

Upon their arrival, Torie and Gert find Clari
Published April 1st 2007 by Minotaur Books (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about A Misty Mourning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Misty Mourning

Susan Kelley
Mar 07, 2008 Susan Kelley rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: cozy mystery lovers!
Let me start off by saying that I don't normally read cozy mysteries. However, the Torie O'Shea Mystery Series is such a good one! Torie O'Shea is a small town snoop. She didn't really start out that way. She's actually a genealogist and historian. She can't help it that the mysteries from the past that she digs up cause people to want to kill her and others. A Misty Mourning is the fourth book in this series, which means zilch. They absolutely stand on their own. In fact, I haven't read books 1 ...more
Rusty
The plot of the book is reasonable and I enjoyed the key character, Torie, but the character of Torie's grandmother is but a shadow of what she could be. The writing is choppy. poor, and story development inconsistent. Just when I thought it was flowing along I was halted with a "What's this?" So many cliches and errors in the story. One example: a woman who is to be interviewed opens the door with a shawl over her shoulders. In the next paragraph she holds an afghan around her. As the protagoni ...more
Patty
Excellent book to end the reading year on! Torie is in West Virginia because a 101 year-old woman has invited her to listen to the reading of her will, while she is still alive. The town is her Grandmother's home town so Grandma comes along to visit old friends, family and see things once again.

Of course, the old woman dies, and Torie is discovered standing over her holding a pillow. Now Torie has to use her genealogy skills to try and unravel an 80 year-old mystery that involves lynching, myste
Kristen
he 4th installment of the Torie O'Shea Genealogical Mystery series by Rett MacPherson, A Misty Mourning, Torie ended up in another pickle of hers. For eight-month pregnant Torie, a ten-hour trip with her 80-year-old grandmother wasn't fun. When her long-time friend Clarissa Campbell asked them to stay in a 101-year-old West Virginia boardinghouse, she couldn't say no. When they arrived there, Clarissa gathered around for a reading of her will. Before she knew, Clarissa was murdered in her own b ...more
Marcy Evick
There are a lot of typos in this book which were annoying.... (Like, for some reason, everywhere the word 'die' should appear it has been replaced with 'the'?). But if you are interested in WV, coal mining history, and mystery... It's a nice read.
Michelle
Another Tori O'Shea mystery. Tory uses her genealogical research skills to solve an old mystery and a new one.
Martha Valasek
A mystery, part of a series from Torie O'Shea, with both humor and suspense. My husband was reading it and suggested that I may like it. I enjoyed it! In this story, Torie, a historian and very pregnant, takes her grandmother to visit a friend back in West Virginia. They end up being held at this location due to an unexpected death. Torie is implicated and has to prove she could not have had a motive to kill the victim. There are a lot of twist in the characters' background.
Minervaking
After I had started this episode, I realized I had already read it. It didn't matter, however, it was still entertaining. I already have the next one.
Peg
Torie O'Shea takes a trip away from her hometown to West Virginia, home of her maternal roots, and ends up being drawn into and solving yet another murder mystery. In the process she finds a kindred spirit in her cousin, who helps her with the research along the way. A fun read, and I'm really enjoying this character and Rett MacPherson's plots more with each book in the series. Can't wait to get my hands on the next one.
Kay
This series of books is a joy to read. If you like a light mystery where the murder isn't too morbid or the killer isn't too psychotic [as in a Mary Higgens Clark book] these are good books to read. I enjoy them to relax my mind after reading some of these gore thrillers. The only complaint I have is that her books are hard to find!
Dale
ill bk- Torie is 7 months pregnant and travel to West Va. to learn of her mother's family in an coal mining town- Her great grandmother died young but her best friend is 101 and wants to share family secrets with Birdie's family- of course the old women is murdered and Torie is in the middle a bit over the top but a good story
Mary
I really enjoyed meeting Torie O'Shea. She is smart and has a great sense of humor. I found myself actually laughing out loud a few times. Good mystery, fun characters and enough excitement to keep things interesting. I will be reading the next book in the series soon.
Diane Heath
This time we learn more about Torie's maternal line. She is 7 months pregnant and goes with her maternal grandmother to West Virginia. The old friend is found dead and Torie becomes the prime suspect because the boardinghouse and its contents are left to her....
Lesley
I enjoyed reading this one, mostly because of my interest in genealogy. I liked how Torie and her long lost cousin Elliot (a librarian!) were able to work together to solve the mystery, thanks in part to their genealogy/family history research skills!

Carol
I was hesitant to pick up the next book in the series because I didn't like the language in the last one. So I was very relieved and happy that this one was much improved. It is a great whodunit that kept me interested and entertained throughout.”
Linda
This is a excellent book...a really good Mystery to read. This is Book #4 in the Torie O'Shea Mystery Series. There are 11 books total in this series. I am planning to have all of these books in this series.
Grace
I like these books, but I sometimes get impatient with the main character. She's a bit annoying. I think she's supposed to be annoying, but lovable. However, the lovable doesn't always come through.
Tereese
I like the way Torie O'Shea seems to always get stuck in some crazy situation. And she's nosey enough to try to figure things out when no one else cares. That's what I love about her character.
Melissa
Not bad... an entertaining if predictable mystery. The setting was an important and well-done part of the story. I only wish the author had taken a less obvious route to the solution.
Linda
Very enjoyable book. This book has a lot of history which I enjoyed. There were a lit of characters and family histories involved which became a little confusing.
Oleta
Was the first of her books I've read was a good mystery in an Appalachia local. Provided history of the mining conditions that existed in that area. Good read.
Danette Duckworth
I especially liked this one because one of the characters has my name. I've never seen my name as a character in a book.
Sarah Jones
I really enjoy the Torie O'Shea mysteries. They are just fun, and she is a real and enjoyable heroine.
Nicole
A trip with Torie and her grandmother takes us to a coal mining town for a new venue.
Carolyn
A cozy little mystery that helps to pass the time quickly on a long flight.
Kimberly
Easy read. Not great but fun.
J
Another good mystery.
Goodreads Librari...: Incorrect Page Number 3 26 Jan 24, 2012 06:03PM
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Mighty Old Bones (Thistle & Twigg Mystery, #2)
  • Backstab (Francesca Vierling Mystery, #1)
  • Nothing Personal
  • Deadly Appraisal (Josie Prescott, #2)
  • The Alpine Traitor (Emma Lord Mystery, #20)
  • Plagued By Quilt (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery, #4)
  • Maiden Rock (Claire Watkins, #6)
  • The Body in the Bouillon (Faith Fairchild, #3)
  • The Angel and the Jabberwocky Murders (An Augusta Goodnight Mystery)
  • Hail to the Chef (A White House Chef Mystery, #2)
  • Mayhem in Miniature (Miniature Mystery, #2)
  • Holly Blues (China Bayles, #18)
  • Merry, Merry Ghost (Bailey Ruth, #2)
  • Border Crossing
  • The Northbury Papers (A Karen Pelletier Mystery #2)
Rett MacPherson was born in Saint Louis, Missouri. She is the author of the popular Torie O'Shea mysteries and helped to pioneer the sub-genre of genealogical mysteries. She is also a bead and fabric artist and loves wineries, cemeteries, genealogy, history and of course, books.
More about Rett MacPherson...

Torie O'Shea (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2)
  • A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3)
  • Killing Cousins (Torie O'Shea, #5)
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • In Sheep's Clothing (Torie O'Shea, #7)
  • Thicker Than Water (Torie O'Shea, #8)
  • Dead Man Running (Torie O'Shea, #9)
  • Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)
  • The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11)
Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1) A Comedy of Heirs (Torie O'Shea, #3) A Veiled Antiquity (Torie O'Shea, #2) The Blood Ballad (Torie O'Shea, #11) Died in the Wool (Torie O'Shea, #10)

“Reading is a staple of life, like bread or water. Or chocolate.” 27 likes