Start by marking “Bermuda Schwartz” as Want to Read:
Bermuda Schwartz

Bermuda Schwartz (Zack Chasteen #3)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  257 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
From the Edgar-nominated, bestselling series that gets better with each book, and an author who constantly surprises, comes Bermuda Schwartz--a tale of hidden treasure, murder, romance, and rum.
A young scuba guide, scouting new dive sites in the shipwreck-laden reefs that rim Bermuda, makes a fatal discovery--a treasure more valuable than gold or jewels. And some people ar
Published February 6th 2007 by Minotaur Books

To ask other readers questions about Bermuda Schwartz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bermuda Schwartz

V. Luke
I couldnt put it down. This is one of those types of books you can escape with. Great as winter rolls in. Exciting. I guessed who did it after one character was decidedly NOt the bad guy..though one can never be positive in a mystery. I loved that it wasnt gorey and mean. "I dont like guns" says the main squeeze. YAY! the end was a bit anticlimactic but it was still fun and funny and I like Chasteen a LOT! Hes got balls. Its kinda out there but it's fiction, so why not? Theres enough negativity ...more
Neil
This struck me as hilarious while reading: [from page 131] "I was just thinking that maybe the Taino religion is the most honest of them all. It admits that it's based on someone being out of their gourd." Boggy looks at me. "I do not understand this," he says. "Please explain."

Obviously I do not agree with this 'quote', but it is still funny nonetheless.
-----------------------------------------

This was an interesting book, much moreso than I thought it would be. It was recommended to me by co-w
Teena in Toronto
This is the third in the Zack Chasteen series.

I enjoyed the first two (though I'd read them out of order). This one was okay, not as good as the first two.

I found that it got bogged down with too many details of the history of the sunken treasure. And there seemed to be so many characters to keep track of (no doubt to throw the reader off).

I wasn't enthused about the one who dunnit ... and less excited about the quick wrap up at the end. It wasn't necessary.
Leonardo Etcheto
Dec 14, 2015 Leonardo Etcheto rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Starting with the great pun for a book title, this book delivers on the strange crime/comedy/commentary/travelogue blend that compromises this series. Shipwrecked treasure and human greed - the basis for a good story. As usual, Morris creates some great characters, and Chasteen manages to be on the gray side of the law with great intentions.

The least favorite part of this book for me was his recover my offshore money subplot, mostly because he does it as a bull in a china shop. Acting as the he
Edward
Oct 31, 2009 Edward rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another excellent read in the Zach Chasteen series. Though reminiscent of Hiaasen and Barry and to a lesser extent Elmore Leonard, Morris really has his own style. The common threads are great writing and taking full advantage of the wealth of humorous material available in South Florida and the Caribbean.
Ed
#3 in the Zack Chasteen series. Zack Chasteen is an ex-Miami Dolphin safety released from prison after being wrongfully convicted of counterfeiting.

Zack Chasteen and girlfriend Barbara travel to Bermuda for her aunt's 70th birthday bash. He and Boggy are to plant 8 palm trees for the occasion. Zach finds that $2MM he had deposited in a Bermuda bank is missing. He also discovers a body in the surf and gets involved with the dead man's sister in finding the connection with two similar deaths a few
Maddy
May 20, 2010 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007-reads
PROTAGONIST: Zack Chasteen
SETTING: Bermuda
SERIES: #3 of 3
RATING: 2.75

Zach Chasteen is an ex-NFL player who now raises palm trees in Florida. He and his significant other, Barbara Pickering, are off to Bermuda to celebrate her Aunt Trula's seventieth birthday. Accompanying them is Boggy, Zack's associate, who will be overseeing the planting of eight Madagascar palms on Aunt Trula's property in time for the festivities. Before anyone can celebrate, however, Zack and Boggy find the body of a young
Sam Sirochman
Oct 17, 2010 Sam Sirochman rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bermuda-schwartz
Bermuda Schwartz was an entertaining book, not the most intelligent read ever, however it was witty and sarcastic book. The characters are loveable and can be related to (not the situations). The story line begins with retired NFL linebacker Zach Chasteen, his British girlfriend Barbara Pickering, and his offbeat, co-worker Boggy, they are traveling to Bermuda to deliver majestic, 80ft palm trees for Barbara’s Aunt Trula.
Upon arrival Zach discovers a dead man, then later discovers his two mill
Kim A
Apr 14, 2016 Kim A rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I had never read a Bob Morris book before. The title caught my eye and I'm glad it did. I couldn't put it down. Written with sharp wit and attention to detail. I recommend it.
George Hamblen
Okay read. Enjoyed the Bermuda passages. Light on character development. Anyone who know's Bermuda would get the insiders reference to the character Trimingham.
Jon
Feb 02, 2008 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery-series
Morris hits his stride with his third Zach Chasteen mystery. Despite the "punny" title, Morris crafts a great read. Morris turns up the menace and humor on Chasteen and continues to flesh out supporting characters Boggy and Barbara while delivering a great hook at the end. The plot reads a blended version of Robert Crais, Clive Cussler, Steve Berry and Dan Brown but with a wit and style all its own. Do yourself a favor and pick this up. The preview of "Dead Ahead" at the end, looks like Morris i ...more
Allison
Cute book. Read because a friend told me that it was an easy read. And it is. It involves Bermuda, scuba diving, and holy relics. I like those things. The book's not bad, even though I say the ending coming from a mile a away. Didn't ruin the pleasure of reading the book. Apparently this is in a series of books with the characters in this book. I did not feel that I was missing out on anything by not having read the others.
Fred Forbes
Anything by Bob Morris is an easy flowing read and this was no exception. Set in Bermuda as the title implies and featuring grisly murders, sunken treasure and scuba adventures as Zack Chasteen, retired Miami Dolphins player and his girl friend and sidekick arrive to plant some palms. A bit predictable and with a number of stereotypical characters, it moves along and is a pleasant bit of "mind candy".
Nancy H
Oct 25, 2012 Nancy H rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The books in this series just keep getting better, and I thought the first book was very good! In this, the third entry, the plot takes Zack Chasteen, along with his beautiful girlfriend Barbara, to Bermuda to participate in a birthday celebration for her aunt. Of course, long before the celebration can take place, there are murders to be solved and bad guys to be outwitted. Great fun and a great series!
David
Jul 23, 2011 David rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
The third Zack Chasteen novel is another great entry. The pace is fast and the mystery is, as usual, engaging. This time the action is, as the title implies, in Bermuda. Morris writes with great description, snappy dialog without at any time compromising the suspense. His plotting and short chapters make the pages fly. I have the next two entries waiting in line.
Wendy
Zack is in Bermuda to help supervise the planting of his palm trees. There is scuba diving and treasure. Of course someone dies
Zack is funny and his friendship with his Taino partner makes the tale interesting as well as educational. Also a good armchair trip to Bermuda.
Andrew Carlson
Jul 03, 2011 Andrew Carlson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this next in the series is a good read, same as the previous books. the story was captivating, but didn't offer many new twists. to say it's same-ol'-same-ol' is a little harsh. it is still worthy of four stars. if you liked the first Zach book, you'll like this one.
Zach
May 19, 2014 Zach rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was the third book in the series and I have to say the least entertaining of the three. It was still very good but it does not compare with Jamaica Me Dead. Still it was a fun read and way better than City of Ashes which I read before this.
Jamie Clarke
Good beach book, a very fast read. I liked the characters but need to go back to the first books in the series to get some of the references.
Nick
Sep 17, 2013 Nick rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A bit more of the macho-badass than Zack had been in the previous books, but somehow everything came together a little better in this one.
Propat45
Decent murder mystery with a tropical location. Not all that well written, fast-paced, no in-depth characterization.
Dale
Jul 17, 2011 Dale rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another fine installment. This time Bermuda and some Christian mythology thrown in. Right up my alley.
Robin
A fun little mystery set in Bermuda with a shipwreck/treasure hunt theme...
Tim Dunn
Aug 03, 2011 Tim Dunn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Great book, fast paced, quick read....Bob Morris at his best....so far.
Ryan
Apr 23, 2010 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bad title. I mean awful. But so far, I like the writing and story.
Kristen
Jan 25, 2011 Kristen rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Ok. Just looking for an easy read. Will probably finish the series
Mac
Nov 20, 2009 Mac rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining read with an interesting plot.
Tess
Good fun!
Ann
Mar 21, 2010 Ann rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just plain fun!
Judy Engberg
Judy Engberg marked it as to-read
Jul 29, 2016
  • A Night at the Operation (Double Feature Mystery #3)
  • The Silent Partner (Diagnosis Murder, #1)
  • On the Wrong Track
  • Too Rich and Too Dead (Murder Packs a Suitcase, #2)
  • Head Games
  • What's So Funny? (Dortmunder, #14)
  • Blood Quantum (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #14)
  • The Goliath Bone
  • Blood Relations (Torie O'Shea, #6)
  • The Secret Portrait (A Jean Fairbairn/Alasdair Cameron Mystery #1)
  • Effigies (Faye Longchamp, #3)
  • Snake Eyes (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #8)
  • Headhunter (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, # 11)
  • The Red Velvet Turnshoe (An Abbess of Meaux Mystery, #2)
  • Nevada Rose (CSI: Crime Scene Investigation, #10)
  • The Tavernier Stones
  • The Heat Islands (Doc Ford, #2)
  • Dead Last (Thorn, #12)
Robert Morris is an American novelist who writes Caribbean themed mysteries. He is previously known as a columnist for several newspapers and magazines.

Series: