High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, Load Balancing & More

4.28 of 5 stars 4.28  ·  rating details  ·  285 ratings  ·  20 reviews
As users come to depend on MySQL, they find that they have to deal with issues of reliability, scalability, and performance--issues that are not well documented but are critical to a smoothly functioning site. This book is an insider's guide to these little understood topics. Author Jeremy Zawodny has managed large numbers of MySQL servers for mission-critical work at Yaho...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 2004)

Mike
We live in an age where information—or at least something like it—abounds. Relational database theory allows us to abstract information into perfect sets of interlocking truths amenable to mathematical manipulation. Hence we may employ computers to generate rare topologies of meaning from our vast stores of data. Our machines increase in power, but the vast stores of data they shepherd into relevance increases even more; theory becomes practice, practice towers and then scales to collapse, and w...more
Darwin
Great read! Helped us(Jaxtr) to scale to 10 million users in 8 months.
Joecolelife
Jul 26, 2013 Joecolelife rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Joecolelife by: www.CocoMartini.com
If you have ever so much as sneezed near a MySQL statement you must read this book. I have been using MySQL and reading other books for at least a decade but had no idea how much I didn't know (had never thought of this way). This book is very well written, very useful and practical, detailed for complex concepts but high level for noob-esk items. At first I found the structure odd but after finishing I wouldn't change it. Even if you are not looking for 'performance' there is so much useful MyS...more
Clint
For anyone building a solution based on MySQL.. whether its getting the most out of a hosted database, or building a multi-tier master slave replication fan-out, this book will offer great insight from people who've probably already done what you're trying to do. I tend to keep it within reach so that I can flip through the index of the book before googling for the answer to a question.
Otis Chandler
Apr 13, 2007 Otis Chandler rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: programmers
A *great* book for anyone who wants to understan mysql better and how to tune it. I particularly liked it because it started at the basics with a conceptual overview, then dived into details. There are probably even more details it didn't go into, so I'll start looking for the next book. But this one was invaluable.
Adrian
Jan 29, 2007 Adrian rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: MySQL Programmers
Shelves: programming
This a decent book for admins -- well written and easy to read, much more so than the manual. However, it is dated and only covers versions of MySQL up to 4.1 -- too bad as everyone should be using 5.0 nowadays. A good starting point for replication, backups, and optimization. [Read cover-to-cover]
Pete Aven
This book is a must read for those working with MySql and concerned with performance. It's not a large book, but it's dense with practical information and if you work with large datasets or complex schemas/queries, it's an invaluable reference.
Artur Sabirov
Огромная книга с избыточной подачей материала для простого чтения. Можно прочесть главы по оптимизации запросов, индексам, движкам и тюнингу конфига. Остальное можно дочитывать по мере необходимости.
Alex
Feb 22, 2011 Alex marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: professional
A highly educational, if challengingly dry at times, read. I'm only a chapter in, but I can already tell it's going to improve my understanding of MySQL and how to use it.
Timon Karnezos
This book is gold. Everything you wanted to know about MySQL that you can't easily Google, organized in a useful way.
AHolly
Just started it but so far it is very informative (if you haven't already taken advanced mysql database courses)
François Beausoleil
Aug 28, 2008 François Beausoleil rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people needing to learn about MySQL
This was a great book. If you need to deploy and/or maintain MySQL, this is one of the books you need.
Eng Ayman Elarian
Perfect Book , Learned to much , it help me to mange my applications databases Performance ,
Andrewh
Great useful book so far. Seems like a must-have if you do production work with mysql.
Johan
Thorough and informational; highly recommended.
Richard
Lots of good information but a hard read
Doug
Dec 04, 2012 Doug marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
A real page turner...
MJ
i want to read this book
Mathan
Mathan marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Atul Singh
Atul Singh marked it as to-read
Jul 24, 2014
Dompuiu
Dompuiu marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Archana Balan
Archana Balan marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Linh
Linh marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014
  • PHP Cookbook
  • Programming Python
  • HTML5: Up and Running
  • Object-Oriented Analysis and Design with Applications
  • Programming Android: Java Programming for the New Generation of Mobile Devices
  • Design Patterns in Ruby
  • JavaScript Patterns
  • Facts and Fallacies of Software Engineering
  • The Practice of Programming

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
MySQL Developer's Handbok High Performance MySQL: Optimization, Backups, Replication, and More