Start by marking “Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)” as Want to Read:
Carioca Fletch (Fletch, #7)

Carioca Fletch (Fletch #7)

3.49  ·  Rating Details  ·  683 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
Carioca Fletch

Fletch’s trip to Brazil wasn’t exactly planned. But it’s Carnival time in Rio and he has plenty of money, thanks to a little arrangement made stateside. And it took him no time to hook up with the luscious Laura Soares. Fletch is beginning to relax, just a little.

Carioca Fletch

But between the American widow who seems to be following Fletch and the Brazilian w
Published (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Carioca Fletch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carioca Fletch

Hans
Jun 08, 2014 Hans rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This novel is a bit of an enigma. It's clearly a Fletch novel because Fletch is the main character and because it covers an important event in his character's history--what happens weeks after the closing events in the first Fletch novel (Fletch).

This also isn't a Fletch novel. Fletch novels feature Fletch playing the role of an investigative journalist in some form. This is Fletch in the liminal state. He still is Fletch, but he's running from being Fletch…and he clearly isn't working. (He doe
Jon
Nov 26, 2007 Jon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
As a fan of the wisecracking journalist, Irwin Fletcher, portrayed by Chevy Chase in two films from the 1980s, I really went into this book expecting a goofy story. What I found was a much more serious, yet entertaining, mystery novel. Set in Rio during Carnival, the story follows Fletch as he is unwittingly enmeshed in a forty-seven year old (as in, it happened that long ago) murder mystery. Taking him from the wealthy hotels of the elite to the slums of Rio, Fletch's adventure is highly entert ...more
JDK1962
Oct 01, 2014 JDK1962 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
An extremely long short book.

I had always been curious about what happened to Fletch after he arrived in Rio. Especially since I first read Fletch when I was a teenager growing up in Sao Paulo (yeah, I'm a paulista, not a carioca). Now I'm no longer curious, and this was a letdown.

It reads like something a famous novelist would write after visiting Rio at Carnival. Some of the small details ring true, but my god, does this man over-romanticize Rio and Brazilians. Ultimately, the mysteries and ch
Jamie
Feb 22, 2015 Jamie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I am re-reading this series in chronological order. This is probably my least favorite in the entire series. However, it is pivotal in tying together the early storylines and some of the latter. Still some very good writing by McDonald.
Alex Teixeira
Oct 03, 2009 Alex Teixeira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was still in high school when I read the first Fletch book. It was 1982. The first Fletch novel was released in 1974.

I used to read a lot of mysteries back then and one day stumbled upon Fletch, I was hooked, that's all the mystery I wanted to read during that time (peppered in with some fantasy, science fiction and literary books, too).

I read all the Fletch books up to the last one, "Fletch Too", in 1986. This one was particularly fun for me, because I was born in Rio and have been back man
Jeremy
I had never read any of the Fletch books, so I decided to give this one a shot when I saw it lying unloved at the bottom of the "take-one-leave-one" book bin at where I work. If you don't mind thinking about Chevy Chase for a few hours (because, let's face it, it's impossible to superimpose another performer or a Fletch of your own mental design onto your brain-book-movie [someone come up with a better word for that, won't you please?]), there is brisk enough fun to be had here. If maybe not a l ...more
Sebastian Owl
Mar 14, 2015 Sebastian Owl rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It's a slow burn at the beginning. it almost lost me, but The build up is constant. the end is masterful.
Joshua
Aug 05, 2014 Joshua rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: august2014
I love Fletch in the USA a lot more than other countries... still some great moments and I love Joan's parts but as I reread the series still the least Fletch-like...
Marlowe
Sep 13, 2012 Marlowe rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very atmospheric and unusual entry to the Fletch novels, and takes place a few months after the exploits of the original novel; Fletch has moved down to Brazil and is embroiled in mystery after an old woman claims him to the doppelganger of her husband, murdered 47 years previously.

Taking place during the hyperreal Carnivale, Carioca Fletch enters surreal territory, dragging its reader in with it.
Andy
Sep 10, 2009 Andy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another great Fletch mystery. Many people complain that there is too much Brazil and not enough Fletch, and compared to other Fletch books, that is true. However, the book is so well written that I really don't mind Fletch taking a back seat to Brazil. If you like Mcdonald's writing style, you'll like Carioca Fletch. Don't believe all of the negative reviews on amazon.
Stuart Lutzenhiser
OK - but not great. Fletch is in Brazil and has no job but does have a girlfriend. He gets embroiled in solving a murder 47 years in the past when he is mistaken for the dead man by his widow. Hijinx galore around Carnival with Fletch getting no sleep for 3 days and nearly killed by his former murderer. Enjoyable, but not fantastic.
J.
Jul 27, 2013 J. rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Fletch books for (a) the effortless writing, and (b) the oddball mysteries. This one is as easy a read as the others, but the mysteries are pretty simplistic. McDonald was way more interested in capturing the spirit of Brazil than writing a mystery. So this is what you get.
Steve Wald
Jul 26, 2013 Steve Wald rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the more entertaining and memorable Fletch novels in my opinion, this one takes the lead character to Brazil, where he befriends and parties with locals, adapts to society, and tries to figure out why so many people are mistaking him for a late village hero.
Kevin
Jun 10, 2011 Kevin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
A distraction sometimes interrupted by plot. If the next one isn't better I suspect I will quit on this series.
Brian Sutton
I don't think this is as strong as other Fletch novels, but still a good read.
Linda
Linda marked it as to-read
May 01, 2016
Stuart Rosen
Stuart Rosen rated it liked it
Apr 27, 2016
DA Wolfe
DA Wolfe rated it really liked it
Apr 24, 2016
Scott Hall
Scott Hall rated it really liked it
Apr 22, 2016
Bryanna Reid
Bryanna Reid rated it it was amazing
Apr 20, 2016
Richard
Richard marked it as to-read
Apr 09, 2016
Steve Hendricks
Steve Hendricks rated it liked it
Apr 01, 2016
Betsy
Betsy rated it liked it
Mar 20, 2016
Animus
Animus marked it as to-read
Mar 19, 2016
Dan
Dan rated it liked it
Mar 18, 2016
Bethania Smith-Sanchez
Bethania Smith-Sanchez marked it as to-read
Mar 15, 2016
Jerrica Greca
Jerrica Greca marked it as to-read
Mar 12, 2016
Randy
Randy marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2016
  • Death Times Three (Nero Wolfe, #47)
  • Tropical Depression (Key West, #4)
  • A Memoir
  • Wild Pitch
  • The Talmud and the Internet: A Journey between Worlds
  • Sequence
  • Pipsqueak
  • Cold Cold Heart

Fletch (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Fletch (Fletch, #1)
  • Confess, Fletch (Fletch, #2)
  • Fletch's Fortune (Fletch, #3)
  • Fletch and the Widow Bradley
  • Fletch's Moxie (Fletch, #5)
  • Fletch and the Man Who (Fletch, #6)
  • Fletch Won (Fletch, #8)
  • Fletch, Too (Fletch, #9)
  • Son of Fletch (Fletch, #10 - Son Of Fletch, #1)
  • Fletch Reflected (Fletch, #11- Son Of Fletch, #2)