Start by marking “Red Hats” as Want to Read:
Red Hats

Red Hats

3.64 of 5 stars 3.64  ·  rating details  ·  258 ratings  ·  68 reviews
Meet Alma, a mother and wife, who’s brutally honest and bitter. Disappointment and heartbreak have left the once vital and joyful woman so cynical and self-protecting that she has forgotten how to love anyone, including herself.

She has become so accustomed to being resentful of her husband, James, that even when she wants to show him love she doesn’t k
Published May 4th 2010 by Atria Books (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Red Hats, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Red Hats

Zandra
Alma is a bitter, sharp-tongued woman who refers to her husband, Harold, as her “has been”. She has a hard time showing him any affection, even though she misses what they once had. One afternoon, angry at Harold for something trivial, Alma mutters under her breath that she wishes he would die. To her shock and disbelief, he succumbs that evening to a heart attack leaving Alma all alone and guilt -ridden. She is about to commit suicide when ladies from the Red Hat Society intervene and help her ...more
Trudy
Poor, very poor. A friend recommended this book to me after seeing Damon being interviewed by Regis and Kathy Lee and The Today Show. I was apprehensive from the beginning, but she made me promise to finish it before I passed judgment. Well, I've finished it and I say, "poor, very poor". The book is about a woman who wishes her husband dead and soon he becomes ill and really does die. So, she blames herself for his death. This underlying idea is the only interesting part of the book.
One major pr
Lisa Diane
Leanna
The prime character in the story was interesting, however I didn't really believe how fast people were coming together and developing relationships. It didn't seem realistic to me.
Leslie
This was better than I expected from someone whom I only recognize as a comedian. It really felt more like a novella than a full novel-it just wasn't meaty enough for me.
Paula Hebert
meet alma, one of the ornriest, nasty talking, most mean spirited women you will meet in a long time. alma hates everybody, even her husband and children, but doesn't know why people don't treat her right. journey with alma, threough a series of circumstances, that lead her to being befriended by a red hats ladies group, and to awakening her once frozen heart. somewhat predictable, but written with heart and humor by yet another of that marvelously talented wayan clan, this is a small book with ...more
Beverly
This is a quick entertaining reading and the perfect book to take to the beach/pool when you do not want to tax your brain. As expected, as the writer is also a comedian there are a couple of one line jabs that have you laughing out loud, despite that they are hurtful to the person that it is directed at. The story definitely has an inspirational edge to it as the main character Alma learned how her actions have hurt those she loves the most. I read this book in a couple of hours.
Amy
I remember watching Damon Wayans's movie MAJOR PAYNE (I'd never seen it before, and it's actually pretty funny) and looking up Wayans's Wikipedia page and reading that he had written a novel called RED HATS. I was so curious that a professional comedy personality would write a "serious fictional novel" that I had to check it out.

Damon Wayans's strength is likeable characters. There were a lot of strong characters in RED HATS, and he was good at making them likeable and realistically flawed. Alma
Sassydiva
This was my Bookclubs read of the month. It was a short read but I truly enjoyed it. Damon Wayans did a great job with this book. It left me wanting a bit more at the end.
Sharon
A great debut novel. Funny as only Damon Wayans could be, but also very touching.
Monique
So been awhile since I have read a book in a day and eh I cant say this was the greatest book to do that with as it was just alright but my nosey self just couldn't leave it on the shelf after seeing it was written by Damon Wayans, yes the Damon Wayans who was one of my favs from Living Color, the movie The Last Boyscout and the sitcom My Wife and Kids, never knew him to be an author but always thought his comedy was expressive so hey gave it a shot..eh it didn't impress me that much and unfortu ...more
Sherrall
I really don't read books like this because i'm not the age of the women in the book. I thought this book was a joke because of who the author is but it was a great read! This book was so true to life,warm and so funny I found myself laughing out loud.. I have seen the ladies in the purple and red hats and now I know what a wonderful society it really is. Thank you Damon and I think you should let your Mom read it now because it was great
Michelle Reed
This was a good, quick read. While we enjoyed the book, we would have liked to see more character and plot development. The events in the book moved too quickly from one to the next without enough buildup and explanation. Wayans developing the main character more and adding more detail throughout would have made this a great read.
-Shadyz Uv Color Book Club
Christine Sinclair
OK, it's not literature, but I wanted to see if Damon Wayans could write a novel, and he can! (Don't take that the wrong way, Damon, I KNOW I can't!) Alma, the lead character, who is partially based on his own mother (I bet), is feisty, angry and unhappy. Red Hats to the rescue! A good story, if a bit lacking in character development, and a fun read.
Hannah
This was such a fun, fast-paced little book centering on a frequently hilarious redemption arc. Alma is a genuinely mean old lady -- to everyone. She has cruel nicknames for each of her children's spouses, she fights with her husband every day, and she isn't afraid to get physical. Alma enjoys being mean, but she also hates herself for being so poisonous. The Red Hat ladies of her neighborhood reach out to her and she ends up making friends in spite of herself. It's clear that she has a long way ...more
Terry
Wow! I immediately identified with Alma just from reading the cover. This was an awesome tale of learning to trust and letting people back in after lifes pain and disappointment.
I'm not an "old" lady but I could sure use some red hats!
Danielle
picked this up on a clearance shelf. fast easy read. good little diversion from some of the heavier more involved books and classwork.
JoAlice
Read in 2010. I liked the book. Wish the book was thicker. But enjoyed it.
Jewell
Need a quick read with a few laughs.... then this may be the book for you. When Alma attempts to committ suicide she is friended by a group of women sporting red hats and purple dresses. As Alma becomes involved with these women who are members of the Red Hat Society, she begins to look at herself in a way that forces her to make changes in her life.

Alma is a Medea on paper; some of the situations in the book created mental images that had me laughing almost out loud. Cute story but glad I didn'
Netta
Awesome Read!!! Alma is the Bomb!! DDBC discussed at meeting.
Kathy
This was an easy, light-hearted and good read. At times I found myself laughing at some of the comments made from the characters and it reminded me that Damon Wayans has always been known as a comedian and actor before I knew him as an author. So it makes sense that the book is lighthearded. However, it's not a comedy, it deals with serious issues and shows how anyone can turn their life around by adopting a different perspective. I enjoyed Red Hats.
Ang
Feb 03, 2013 Ang rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Ang by: friend
toya♡
Very quick and easy read. Would be perfect for a new Book Club/Social group.

Alma (lead character) is very stubborn, yet strong-willed and a good friend. She speaks her mind and isn't afraid to let you know where to go and how to get there. She shoots from the hip to strangers, friends and family.

I wouldn't mind seeing this become a stage play or made-for-TV movie. I look forward to reading more writing from Wayans.
MB
A very decent, light read. I read the whole thing between dinner and bed one evening. Wayans does an excellent job demonstrating how two people in love can fall so far away from each other inside their marriage, how they can lose their way back. A little bit too glossed over in how simple membership in Red Hats can solve life's every problem, but a lovely ode to sisterhood at the same time.
Chezon
Finished reading it in one sitting. It's not grossly complicated. But I think it's a decent read for a rainy Sunday afternoon. Hope the topic sparks dialogue. But overall, it's just okay. Don't expect side-splitting comedy. That isn't what this is about. Interesting topic, but really just a book to use to clear the palette before reading something extraordinary.
Pearl
This was an excellent first novel. I think Damon did a wonderful job. The story line was interesting and there were some funny parts as well. I didn't really like how Alma so mean to everyone in the beginning, but than I figured she was dealing with some abuse, angry and hurt. I hope this will not be his only book, he definitively can keep the readers attention.
Ternelljade
I was surprised to find I loved this book. I could relate to the main character a lot. I love the lessons this book taught...even though they are hard ones...It got a bit treacly/sappy at times, but the book spoke to me so much, I was willing to overlook it. I'll be curious to see if he writes another one. For a first novel, it really wasn't bad at all.
Stephani
This was an excellent book. While reading it I found myself thinking about the author, Damon Wayans... since he's from a well known family of comedians I thought "how could it be a serious book"? It turned about it be a mix of drama, a little comedy, and a lot of realism. I highly recommend it!
Ciana
This was a great quick read. It only took a day to complete and I enjoyed every page. Surprisingly Wayans' captured the voice of quick-witted, no-nonsense Alma a sixty-two year old black woman. It was funny, sad, and heartfelt. Who knew Damon Wayans could write a novel?
  • All Up In My Business
  • Little Black Girl Lost 4: The Diary of Josephine Baptiste
  • The Deal, the Dance, and the Devil
  • And on the Eighth Day She Rested
  • A Second Helping
  • Forsaken (Forsaken #1)
  • Speak to My Heart (Spirit and Soul #1)
  • The Enchantress
  • The List
  • Sisters & Husbands
  • Nappily Married (Nappily, #3)
  • The Ideal Wife
  • No More Good (View Park, #3)
  • His First Wife