Treason (The Navy Justice Series)

Treason (Navy Justice #1)

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  554 ratings  ·  55 reviews
The stakes are high . . . and the entire world is waiting for the verdict.
The Navy has uncovered a group of radical Islamic clerics who have infiltrated the Navy Chaplain Corps, inciting sailors and marines to acts of terrorism. And Lieutenant Zack Brewer has been chosen to prosecute them for treason and murder.
Only three years out of law school, Zack has already made a na...more
Published May 26th 2009 by Zondervan (first published April 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Treason, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Treason

Amy
As far as jingoistic, cliched stereotyping literature goes, this is some of the best. If you like reading about Muslims as nothing more than crazy-eyed, spittle-spewing jerks, lacking human compassion and ready to martyr themselves for a misguided religion, you'll enjoy this novel. Even though I'm a Christian, I didn't really relate much to the Christian characters, especially the one who himself was matyred for his faith. They were kind people, for the most part, centered, balanced, calm and ge...more
dennis
haven't read any books of don brown that were not at least 4 stars or more!
Karen
This is an OK legal thriller about a young navy attorney named Zack Brewer. Zack’s life changes in a hurry when he wins a high profile case and is offered his dream career and another high profile case that is crucial to national security. Terrorists have infiltrated the U.S. Navy to cripple the nation’s defenses from the inside and Zack is tasked with trying them in military court.

This fiction was written in 2005, but given recent events, it is amazing how true this story can be. This is a quic...more
Jessica
This book starts with a wow in the prologue. It begins with some facts and the idea that some have come to fear with terrorism. If our enemy blends and looks and acts like us how do we know the difference? That is what the new generation in this story intends to do. They intend to blend so well that we never question them. They will infiltrate out defenses and stand to defend our country until they are called to turn against us. We follow the plot through these events and find that three Muslims...more
Michikit
I recently decided to start reading this kind of books since I’ve been obsessing for fantasy for such a long time. I decided to go on more serious readings and I must say that I was not disappointed at all and I am happy that “Treason” was my first choice. I was a fan of some mystery and crime tv shows and I was surprised to see that this book gathers some of the greatest ideas under just one title.

Mr Brown did an amazing job with the describing, very detailed and easy to follow accompanied by...more
stormhawk
Treason is a much better book than I had reason to expect ... I received it as a free Kindle download from amazon.com, which can be a dicey proposition. Much to my surprise and delight, Treason turned out to be a solid courtroom drama novel. The subject matter is extremely topical, and a not unrealistic concern of U.S. Armed Forces members being co-opted or infiltrated by the terrorists they fight.

The only hints that this is meant to be a "Christian" novel are a more than usual amount of prayin...more
Mirah W
I thought the plot moved very quickly...perhaps a little too quickly for me. I like fast-paced stories, especially when there is a lot of action, but I felt like there were parts missing from book 1...I wish there would have been more about the final trial...more courtroom drama rather than the synopsis offered by reporters. I would have liked to know what some of the witnesses contributed to the case. Leaving out these parts implied a lack of flushing out of the story by the author. With the fi...more
Steve
There are many elements of this book that I really, really like. Military justice, courtroom drama, terrorism, faith, and redemption are all present in this well-written, intriguing story. As the first book in Brown's Navy Justice series, it's not surprising that the detailing in the story feels a bit immature though. Still a great story.

The only reason I'm not giving this one five stars is that lack of detail. Specifically, the details surrounding the court case involving the three officers acc...more
Lola4
I must have thought I was an F-18 pilot because I veritably flew through this book. It was an exciting read and I couldn't put it down until finished. I had to drop a star because of several implausibilities that kind of detracted from the story for me--like why would Kilnap suddenly decide to confess the irregularities in his investigation when he had nothing to lose by keeping quiet and nothing to gain by confessing except for a world of hurt. And making the female protagonist a lawyer/supermo...more
Cherie
I downloaded this book, as well as the next two JAG series by Don Brown onto my Nook just before I left for Washington DC to visit my daughter. I needed something to read while I was there and these 3 books were very inexpensive (99cents each,) and they sounded like something I would like. Treason, #1 in the series, introduced the characters, whom I liked very much. The idea of a young Navy prosecutor assigned to convict Islamic terrorists in a military courtroom was very engaging. The fact that...more
Peggy
Excellent book. This book catches you with its different scenarios. Did Mr. Brown pluck this plot line from a daily newspaper? These are Christian fiction involving the military, the law and security issues. This particular story line drew me in quickly as it seemed like it was ripped from a current headline, only to go back and find the year it was written was way before the event it seemed to emulate.

As far as the Christian aspect, the characters are essentially in the beginning stages of exp...more
Bridget
Oh Don Brown, you and your sneaky Christian overtones. Tsk Tsk. I thought I was reading a cheesy military courtroom romance, and while this book was definitely a cheesy military courtroom romance, it was also uber-Christian. The political and religious overtones of the book were not subtle at all and were at times downright ridiculous. That being said, I tried to mostly ignore them and focus on the cheese factor of the hunky JAG officer and the model-turned-JAG officer love connection. It was a...more
Bert Long
It was pretty darn good. It is not a "great" work of fiction, but it flowed really well. The author did an above-average job of defining and constructing the characters.

I can foresee it being a movie, but not a great one.

I would recommend to others with the stipulation that they will not be blown away by the book, but it entertaining and well worth the time to read.

Probably only downside was too much time was spent on the build-up to tha main plot, and too little time invested after that (had a...more
Mercedes Cordero
Very disappointing. One a a half stars. The court cases, the way the different attorneys and prosecutors handled them, the romance, the intrigue, everything was very lacking. I mean, the attorneys were very mediocre... Oh, they had their cases, their information to blow the case out of the water, and the author built up on that, and build up on that, and then, the big revelation which was so idiotic... Really, there are better books, way better books. This was too many pages of hardly anything.
Judy
This book started out with a strong international intrigue, but he lost that about 1/3 of the way through and got more interested in the theology aspect, which is fine, but when he threw in the romance he lost me. I would rather read a cereal box that a romance novel, and this book had a little to much for my tastes. If he had followed through with the intrigue it would have been a better book for me. I deleted the rest of his books off my Kindle, thank goodness I didn't pay for them.
Beth Schneider
Eh, this book was just, well, eh. It wasn't horrible, but it was terribly predictable. Also, I didn't know that this was a "Christian" writer until I read the short bio at the end but knew something was up when it seemed as if every good-guy character was a Christian and every bad-guy wasn't. Once I read the bio, everything fell into place. Even without that though, this book just didn't really do it for me.
Stacy
A freebie I got for my Kindle. I've downloaded several Don Brown books, but this is actually the first one I have read. First in the Navy Justice series, this was about the JAG corps, so it really reminded me of that old tv show JAG. Good plots, two trials and some intrigue. I really liked the main characters, and I believe they are in other books, so I look forward to reading more from this author.
Amber Moore
This wasn't a bad book but it wasn't the greatest book either. Unless you basically like reading a court transcript with a lift thrown in. that is kinda how i fet at certain points in the book. I have Don Browns other two books in this series and the extra book not so i will see how those go later and if i would continue with new books. They were free so what have i go to loose?
Debra Slonek
I very much enjoyed this book which included legal and military drama, modern-day terrorism, both shady and honorable examples of politicians, and relationships between the main characters. Faith was also a part of this story in the ways it influenced the characters decisions, both the Muslims and the Christians. I look forward to reading more books by this author.
Stephanie
I could not finish this book. I made it all the way to the description of the first church service and quit. Church itself doesn't bother me. However, this book seemed to be slanted that Christians are good and every other religion (especially Islam) is made up entirely of muderous crazies. Too intolerant for me.
This is an interesting series of legal-based action adventure. I had not read this author before, but decided to give it a try and was pleased...I plan to read the other two books in the series as well. The story is good, however, the author gets a little long in the descrition sometimes.
Jerry Bourland
Enjoyed reading a good suspense book without all fo the profanity associated with the usual military suspense novels, Thank you Sir!
Jacquie Ward
good book....good story....the religious overtones were a bit much though. played the "democrat bad and unethical, republican good and christian" a little too much. i enjoyed the turns but felt like i was being taught a sunday school lesson for most of the book.
Lillie
I wish I could say the plot of this fast-paced thriller was far-fetched. Unfortunately, it is all-too-realistic. At the beginning of the book, there seem to be two unrelated plot lines, but they come together in a dramatic way. Highly recommended.
Tanya
Intriguing plot but too much of the Christian ideals as the only true religion. The Jewish lawyer who only takes the Muslim chaplains' defense for money posed a serious flaw from an educated author. I would not read any more of his books.
ReaderNation
Read this free download. Not sure about the series yet. Have the next couple on free download and reading #2. The jury is still out on if I'll continue (hardy har har).
TJ
Could have been much better. Instead it was really bad and predictiable. Had to finish reading it just to see how bad it got. Oh well, it was free. So can't complain too much
Marie
I wanted to read something new, and this was a pretty good choice. It was very interesting, and held your interest from the very beginning of the book.
Sue

Seemed a bit hate filled toward Muslims and the storyline was totally predictable. Not sure why he included the Congressional seat into the mix.
Rick Austin
First fiction in a while. Was a free Kindle book but ended up being a good read. Somewhat predictable at times but all in all a good escape.
  • Dark Pursuit
  • Monday Night Jihad
  • Hostile Intent (Delvin, #1)
  • By Reason of Insanity
  • Midnight in Madrid (The Russian Trilogy #2)
  • Vanish
  • Snow Melts in Spring
  • Sin Boldly: A Field Guide for Grace
  • Primitive
  • The Shadow And Night (The Lamb Among the Stars, #1-2)
  • The Mark (Henry Parker, #1)
  • Private Justice (Newpointe 911, #1)
  • Unbreakable (Shadow Destroyers, #1)
  • Breach of Trust (Call of Duty, #1)
  • Milrose Munce and the Den of Professional Help
  • The Pawn (The Patrick Bowers Files, #1)
  • My Name Is Russell Fink
  • Sushi for One?

DON BROWN, a former U.S. Navy JAG Officer, is the author of Zondervan’s riveting NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. a dynamic storyline chronicling the life and adventures of JAG officer ZACK BREWER. In 2003, Don began writing TREASON, his first novel in the NAVY JUSTICE SERIES. After TREASON was published to rave reviews in...more
More about Don Brown...
Hostage (Navy Justice #2) Defiance (Navy Justice #3) The Malacca Conspiracy Black Sea Affair (Navy Justice #4) Thunder in the Morning Calm (Pacific Rim #1)