Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics Series)” as Want to Read:

4.22  ·  Rating Details ·  24,955 Ratings  ·  258 Reviews
Soon to be a major motion picture, this is the original Alice in Wonderland and all of Lewis Carroll other classic stories. Has a active table of contents. Other stories include:

Alice in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, With a Proem by Austin Dobson
Alice's Adventures Under Ground
The Game of Logic
The Hunting of the Snark, an Agony
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1865)

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories, please sign up.

Leslie Silton Dear Lauren,
Dear Lauren,
I am writing a novella about Wonderland: "Life in Alice's Wonderland". I'm about 2/3rd's of the way through it. I've sent a few chapters to friends and family and so far it's gotten very nice responses. Would you be interested in reading one or two of the chapters?

Regards,
Leslie Silton
Author and Book Editor
Los Angeles(less)

Asghar Abbas
Jan 23, 2016 Asghar Abbas rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

After all the metaphors and symbolism regarding Alice, the White Rabbit, the Mad Hatter in beaver hat, and going down the Rabbit holes, it was surreal reading the Original thing after all that but it wasn't surreal enough.

Now this is a children's book in every way and more.

Well worth the wait, didn't let down and did not disappoint in any way. It was everything I thought it would be and more. Much much more. All the hype surrounding it well justified.

Now this is living up to the expectations.
Angela
How am I supposed to explain all this? I swear Lewis Carroll was on drugs. If you asked me to make up something as wildly insane as this, I wouldn't even come close. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are exactly as I remembered the films. They're insane and brilliant all at once.

It was the Sylvie & Bruno books that took me the longest to get through, because I honestly had no idea what was going on at times. The basic premise is the narrator going along on his no
Caroline Åsgård
Apr 26, 2013 Caroline Åsgård rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
This is the first Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic book I have read, and judging by only the cover, it's absolutely astounding. Cute and pink with wonderful artwork, and pages dipped in gold which gives the pages that ''old'' vintage feeling! The first two parts of the book is of course the Alice books - I finished those in a day each, it was wonderful reliving my childhood, and also learning more about the books, as the Disney and Tim Burton movies are just mere interpretations. I loved ...more
Ricardo
Oct 14, 2016 Ricardo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
5 / 5

Hilarantes. Ingeniosas. Brillantes. Exquisitas. Sencillamente, son historias maravillosas las de Alicia.
Dru
Jun 22, 2016 Dru rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4,5

Alicia en el país de las maravillas: 5/5
Alicia a través del espejo: 4/5
La caza del Snark: 3/5
Javi
Aug 28, 2016 Javi rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En esta reseña me centro en A través del espejo y La caza del Snark; podéis leer también mi reseña de Alicia en el país de las maravillas.

He notado un cambio en la forma de escribir del autor en A través del espejo respecto a Alicia en el país de las maravillas. Quizá el cambio pueda estar en que el primer boceto de Alicia en el país de las maravillas lo escribió por y para una niña y que A través del espejo lo escribió por su querida niña, pero para sus lectores. Es, quizá, sutil el cambio, per
Courtney Jadevaia
I'll stick to the Disney movie. This was a bit trippy for me. Definitely a nice classic to read the original and understand the original story though.
Priscila Palomares
This is my favorite book! i absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone who loves puzzles, riddles and poems.
Katy
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Such a strange tale. I've always been so enchanted by it though -- especially the cryptic rhymes interspersed. Are they meant to mean anything? Are the "morals" presented throughout the book to be taken seriously...or are they Carroll's idea of satirizing the moralizing books of his time period?

Alice falls into the rabbit hole with society's rules in mind. She takes the virtues and rules from school and her parents...and she finds that they don't apply. Much like
Gemma
Sep 12, 2016 Gemma rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourite-books
My favourite edition of my favourite story. I am sat re-reading Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and still smile at every page.
Cristina Edas Rri
Jan 03, 2016 Cristina Edas Rri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
En realidad le doy 4 estrellas a Alicia en el país de las maravillas y 3 estrellas a Alicia a través del espejo.
Me han gustado bastante. Son unos de esos libros que tengo pendientes y nunca leo porque me da una pereza extrema. Pero han sido entretenidos, divertidos y, sobre todo, un sin sentido total. Eso es lo mejor. ¿Por qué un gato que no deja de sonreír y desaparece paulatinamente? ¿O un sombrerero que lleva meses tomando el té de las seis porque el Tiempo está enfadado con él? La pregunta
Leslie Gonzales
Jun 22, 2013 Leslie Gonzales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Been eyeing this adorable pink & gold leatherbound edition for months. On a whim I finally walked into Barnes & Noble and bought it. When I got home that same night, I finished Alice's Adventures in a sitting. Such an easy and lovable read for me; I have many, many times before. Even as an adult I feel akin to Alice still. Happy to have this on my shelf and to dive into "Other Stories" within the next few months/years, whenever that mood strikes.
Diego Hernández
Feb 27, 2015 Diego Hernández rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alicia se convirtió en uno de mis personajes favoritos en la vida.

Shahrun
I really enjoyed reading the introduction, as I knew nothing about Lewis Carroll. What an interesting life he had. I have finally found an introduction that is both interesting and informative!

20th - 26th January 2016
This is one of my favourite books. Each time I read this book, it feels like the first. I always get something new out of it, & I don't think I'll ever be tired of reading it. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland are delightfully random, laugh out lou
Charles Moore
Jul 01, 2015 Charles Moore rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is silly stuff. And I loved every word of it. The puns, the word play, the jokes, the imagination all dig deep inside and remind me of all the seriousness that is nothing but construct and I had forgotten all the wonderful newness of the world. Without a doubt we take ourselves (particularly in our dotage) too seriously.

I suspect that when we read Alice all those once-upon-a-time strange things in the world are strange things again and we giggle or smile or let the thought linger for a mom
Kara
Sep 02, 2012 Kara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2012
It's a strange thing, these stories. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" are the more popular of Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's, better known as Lewis Carroll, writings.

They're definitely written for children but I do not think children of this day and age would enjoy it as much. There's a lot of mention of poetry and song and verse that only a child from 18th century England would get. But it's very fun either way. Probably best to read the sto
Rikke
"LOVE-lighted eyes, that will not start
At frown of rage or malice!
Uplifted brow, undaunted heart
Ready to dine on raspberry-tart
Along with fairy Alice!
"

Happy blabbering nonsense, puzzling riddles, surreal phantasms, a profound love for tea, talking rabbits, invisible fairies and a perfect understanding of how the world looks through the eyes of a child. That is the essential ingredients of Carroll's writing.

No author has ever since made such magnificent wordplay and used such a heavy amount of a
Andrea
Dec 19, 2015 Andrea rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
Notable.

De pequeña "Alicia en el país de las maravillas" no era de mis clásicos disney preferidos pero sí que siempre me llamó mucho la atención conocer la versión original de Lewis Carroll.
Este libro en concreto consta de tres historias: "Alicia en el país de las maravillas", "A través del espejo" y "La caza del Snark". Además de un apéndice final con cartas (que no he leído porque no me llamaban nada la atención, la verdad).

"Alicia en el país de las maravillas" ya lo había leído en 2011 (no as
Whitney (First Impressions Reviews)
One day a curious little girl named Alice follows a rabbit down a rabbit-hole, and what ensues is a fantastical adventure that most people could not even dream up. After a constant act of shrinking and growing Alice meets the many characters of Wonderland, a blue caterpillar smoking a hookah, who's sentences tend to go round and round like an 8-track player, all ending with "Who are you?" She has tea with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare leaving more confused than when she arrived and drinking ...more
Camila
Mar 02, 2016 Camila rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favoritos, 2015
Creo que me gustó más que la primera vez que los leí, hace ya varios años. Había olvidado gran parte de lo que pasaba y también las conversaciones. Mi único problema es con los poemas, no estoy acostumbrada a leerlos, por lo que me resultan algo lentos y demasiado complicados, por lo que no me he animado a leerlos en su idioma original. Sin embargo, la caza del Snark me gustó mucho, algunos versos me confundieron, pero fueron pocos. Pensé que no lo iba a disfrutar, no obstante no fue así.
Me enca
Karla
Sep 27, 2016 Karla rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
DIOS!!! Qué difícil fue leer este libro, me gusto más Alicia en el país de las maravillas que a través del espejo (comencemos por eso), se que es un clásico pero la verdad no me gusto mucho, es un libro totalmente sin sentido y a la vez con mucho sentido (ya estoy sonando como el autor jajaja) solamente diré que me quedo con la primer historia, y que decir de la caza del snark, me dejo totalmente confundida jajaja, le di una calificación de 3.5 porque soy bastante generosa >.<
Sara
Oct 08, 2015 Sara rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Only read the first book in this huge set, but it was quite good. Probably will get around to the rest of it piecemeal. Never read Lewis Carroll before and I loved his use of riddles and wordplay. This will appeal to older fantasy geeks, but these crazy kids today might not like it much. Never was a fan of the original animated Disney film, but the Disney Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film is great.
Chaillé Snyder
Jan 18, 2016 Chaillé Snyder rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alice in wonderland: this is so weird it's funny to me. I did appreciate this, but I'm glad it was a pretty short read or the nonsense would have been too much haha! To compare this to the Disney movie, it was really different and I actually prefer the movie just because it's what I'm used to. I'll definitely check out the looking glass hopefully soon :D
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly
What can I say about Alice? This book has partly made me who I am! She is wonderfully innocent and curious, surrounded by a world of wonder. No film however hard they try will capture the magic.
And this Barnes and Noble edition is so beautiful it some how manages to make the story even more special!
Ioana
Feb 07, 2013 Ioana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Loved it! Read parts of it when I was young, but then I only cared about the story.
Great word-games, great metaphors (hope that's the English word for it), simply an amazing read to get you disconnected in smart way.
Tyler
Apr 12, 2010 Tyler rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is about a girl Alice who gets transported into another world. I really enjoyed reading this book beacause of its great details, illustrations, likeable characters, and great story, and its just enjoyable to read. Id recomned this book to anyone.
Summer
Mar 15, 2014 Summer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would not have had a childhood without the works of Lowis Carroll. This book will always be my favorite. Alice in Wonderland is literary gold!I love the art on the cover and silver lined pages. The Barns and Noble leather bound edition is beautiful. Truly a great book inside and out!
Heidi
Whimsical, witty, and wildly imaginative. What more can one say?... well, other than odd. (I only read the one book. It was for a Book Club.)
Holidayre
What a wonderful story… I'm a little bit ashamed of that, but it was the first time that I read this story. I'm feeling like a child again.
Lelani
Feb 20, 2014 Lelani rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
I hated this book. I loved the movie as kid, and I thought that I would like this as well, but when you read it - it's like reading the experience of a drug addict that is high.
Lewis Carrol : graphic alice novel 1 5 Nov 02, 2015 09:10AM
Famous Book Dedication Opportunity 1 1 Oct 13, 2015 08:31PM
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 3 55 Jun 16, 2015 07:02AM
Three Nerds and a...: Alice in Wonderland Discussion 1 8 Feb 01, 2013 05:09PM
Reading the Classics: Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass 29 244 Dec 10, 2012 07:43PM
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • H.P. Lovecraft:  The Complete Fiction
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • Snap
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation
  • Three John Silence Stories
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxfo
More about Lewis Carroll...

“Only the insane equate pain with success."
"The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die."
_Cheshire Cat”
20 likes
“The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"
"Come, we shall have some fun now!", thought Alice. "I'm glad they've begun asking riddles - I believe I can guess that," she added aloud.
"Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?" said the March Hare.
"Exactly so," said Alice.
"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do," Alice hastily replied; "At least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well said that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!".
"You might just as well say," added the March Hare, "that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!".
"You might just as well say," added the Dormouse, which seemed to be talking in its sleep, "that "I breath when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breath"!".
"It is the same thing with you," said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.”
10 likes