Start by marking “Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics Series)” as Want to Read:

Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories (Oxford Bookworms: Stage 2)

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  22,164 ratings  ·  155 reviews
Soon to be a major motion picture, this is the original Alice in Wonderland and all of Lewis Carroll other classic stories. Has a active table of contents. Other stories include:

Alice in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, With a Proem by Austin Dobson
Alice's Adventures Under Ground
The Game of Logic
The Hunting of the Snark, an Agony
Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1865)

I'm looking for the third edition of the Norton Critical Edition of this.

It has the following:

Newly discovered letters by Lewis Carroll, an expanded selection of diary excerpts, and a wealth of new biographical materials are some of the features of this revised Norton Critical Edition.

This perennially popular Norton Critical Edition again reprints the 1897 editions of Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass along with the 1876 edition of The Hunting of the Snark. Each text
Caroline Åsgård
This is the first Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic book I have read, and judging by only the cover, it's absolutely astounding. Cute and pink with wonderful artwork, and pages dipped in gold which gives the pages that ''old'' vintage feeling! The first two parts of the book is of course the Alice books - I finished those in a day each, it was wonderful reliving my childhood, and also learning more about the books, as the Disney and Tim Burton movies are just mere interpretations. I loved ...more
How am I supposed to explain all this? I swear Lewis Carroll was on drugs. If you asked me to make up something as wildly insane as this, I wouldn't even come close. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are exactly as I remembered the films. They're insane and brilliant all at once.

It was the Sylvie & Bruno books that took me the longest to get through, because I honestly had no idea what was going on at times. The basic premise is the narrator going along on his no
This particular edition is part of Barnes & Noble's Leather-bound Classics Collection. Carroll's volume is bound by distinctive pink bonded leather, with black illustration and gold leaf embellishment; "Beautiful" is an understatement when describing this collection; it's exquisite - to say the least! These books are so precious to me. They are the epitome of what my "dream library" will contain; breath-taking editions of the classics and masterpieces. Most of the books in this particular co ...more
5 / 5

Hilarantes. Ingeniosos. Brillantes. Exquisitos. Sencillamente, historias maravillosas.
Jenn Davis
Love it, love that Lewis Carroll was high as a kite almost the entire time he wrote it. Disturbing but beautiful at the same time, both kids and adults can enjoy. Also a great animated film and a fun Disneyland ride.
Priscila Palomares
This is my favorite book! i absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone who loves puzzles, riddles and poems.
Beatriz Canas Mendes
Há já muitos anos que queria ler Alice no País das Maravilhas, mas preferi esperar para ter maturidade e capacidade para o fazer pela versão original, em inglês. Feitas as contas, ainda bem que esperei!
Supostamente, este é um conto para crianças, mas os significados mais ímplicitos só se conseguem compreender com algum esforço. Penso que a maior crítica, e a mais imediata e explícita, é à autoridade dos adultos e à sua incansável busca pelos porquês de tudo o que os rodeia, esquecendo-se de proc
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Such a strange tale. I've always been so enchanted by it though -- especially the cryptic rhymes interspersed. Are they meant to mean anything? Are the "morals" presented throughout the book to be taken seriously...or are they Carroll's idea of satirizing the moralizing books of his time period?

Alice falls into the rabbit hole with society's rules in mind. She takes the virtues and rules from school and her parents...and she finds that they don't apply. Much like
It's a strange thing, these stories. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" are the more popular of Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's, better known as Lewis Carroll, writings.

They're definitely written for children but I do not think children of this day and age would enjoy it as much. There's a lot of mention of poetry and song and verse that only a child from 18th century England would get. But it's very fun either way. Probably best to read the sto
Leslie Gonzales
Been eyeing this adorable pink & gold leatherbound edition for months. On a whim I finally walked into Barnes & Noble and bought it. When I got home that same night, I finished Alice's Adventures in a sitting. Such an easy and lovable read for me; I have many, many times before. Even as an adult I feel akin to Alice still. Happy to have this on my shelf and to dive into "Other Stories" within the next few months/years, whenever that mood strikes.
Charles Moore
This is silly stuff. And I loved every word of it. The puns, the word play, the jokes, the imagination all dig deep inside and remind me of all the seriousness that is nothing but construct and I had forgotten all the wonderful newness of the world. Without a doubt we take ourselves (particularly in our dotage) too seriously.

I suspect that when we read Alice all those once-upon-a-time strange things in the world are strange things again and we giggle or smile or let the thought linger for a mom
Diego Hernández
Alicia se convirtió en uno de mis personajes favoritos en la vida.

I am pretty sure that I have read both of these before. But that was at least eight years ago, so here we go again.It was particularly interesting to read this in the light of Splintered and The Looking Glass Wars. I know that this book *technically* discusses Dodgsons anger at the newfangled maths, but I'm reviewing it as a work of literature/a novel. Okay? I enjoyed the absurdity, the fun it makes of society, and the use of symbols and themes.
This book is absurd. There is no other way to descr
"LOVE-lighted eyes, that will not start
At frown of rage or malice!
Uplifted brow, undaunted heart
Ready to dine on raspberry-tart
Along with fairy Alice!

Happy blabbering nonsense, puzzling riddles, surreal phantasms, a profound love for tea, talking rabbits, invisible fairies and a perfect understanding of how the world looks through the eyes of a child. That is the essential ingredients of Carroll's writing.

No author has ever since made such magnificent wordplay and used such a heavy amount of a
One day a curious little girl named Alice follows a rabbit down a rabbit-hole, and what ensues is a fantastical adventure that most people could not even dream up. After a constant act of shrinking and growing Alice meets the many characters of Wonderland, a blue caterpillar smoking a hookah, who's sentences tend to go round and round like an 8-track player, all ending with "Who are you?" She has tea with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare leaving more confused than when she arrived and drinking ...more
If there was ever written a book that is perfect for me this is it! Alice in Wonderland is my favorite story and Dali is my favorite artist. If you like either, this is certainly a book to check out. Not only does it have the original text and illustrations by Dali but it includes a very interesting introduction essay that talks bout the surrealists and why Dali and Carroll are such a good mix.
I loved it so much I am going to have to get a hardcopy to have it always! 5/5 stars
Cheryl Anne
While this book was fun to listen to, I don't think I would have enjoyed it if I hadn't already seen the movies. Glad I finally got a feel for the original story though!
Creo que me gustó más que la primera vez que los leí, hace ya varios años. Había olvidado gran parte de lo que pasaba y también las conversaciones. Mi único problema es con los poemas, no estoy acostumbrada a leerlos, por lo que me resultan algo lentos y demasiado complicados, por lo que no me he animado a leerlos en su idioma original. Sin embargo, la caza del Snark me gustó mucho, algunos versos me confundieron, pero fueron pocos. Pensé que no lo iba a disfrutar, no obstante no fue así.
Me enca
It's been 150 years since Alice's Adventures in Wonderland was first published. Let that sink in for a moment...150 years... In the time since it was first published, there have been numerous adaptations of it both in book and on the screen. The most famous of these is probably Disney's animated version, which itself is 61 years old. The movie, like all adaptations, fell short, and reminded us that if you want to experience the true glory of a work, you have to read the original. Due to the book ...more
Franziska {Leben und Lesen}
Wow. Das war mal ne abgedrehte Lesereise. Alice ist ein wundervoller Hauptcharakter; das Mädchen erinnert mich ein wenig an mich selbst, muss ich gestehen. Die Abenteuer, die sie vermeintlich im Wunderland oder eben hinter den Spiegeln erlebt, sind fabelhaft skizziert, der Schreibstil ist witzig und sehr flüssig, obwohl es den einen oder anderen Moment gab, wo ich dachte: okaaay, genug Nonsens nun.

In jedem Fall eine lohnende Investition.
Lacy Lovelace
I have the green classic bound book. I wanted to read all of his works but I have many other books that I wanted to read so I mainly focused on the Alice series. I liked parts of the book but it's difficult when the reader is trying to make sense of a nonsense world. I loved the poetry included in both stories...more was in "Through the Looking Glass." A lot of the films about Alice in Wonderland combine both stories and I notice leave out certain parts such as Humpty Dumpty, the Duchess, and Al ...more
What a wonderful story… I'm a little bit ashamed of that, but it was the first time that I read this story. I'm feeling like a child again.
Rachel Lundwall
Of course I love Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Those books get 4 stars from me. I've loved them since I was a kid and will continue to love them for a long while yet.

It's the Sylvie and Bruno and other works in this collection that brought my rating down to a 3. I gave Sylvie and Bruno an honest shot (5 chapters) and appreciated the plays on words sprinkled here and there, but when it comes down to it, you have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate Victorian literat
Only read the first book in this huge set, but it was quite good. Probably will get around to the rest of it piecemeal. Never read Lewis Carroll before and I loved his use of riddles and wordplay. This will appeal to older fantasy geeks, but these crazy kids today might not like it much. Never was a fan of the original animated Disney film, but the Disney Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film is great.
Ben Crisp
As a child a lot of the genius of Carroll's writing can be lost. Some of the dialogue in this, Carroll's playful use of the English language is second to none, especially the scene with the Mock Turtle and the Gryphon.

"'When we were little,' the Mock Turtle went on at last, more calmly, though still sobbing a little now and then, 'we went to school in the sea. The master was an old Turtle — we used to call him Tortoise — '
'Why did you call him Tortoise, if he wasn't one?' Alice asked.
'We called
Salah satu buku cerita yang paling saya sukai. Petualangan Alice ke negeri yang sungguh sangat ajaib, bertemu dengan penghuni yang serba aneh, terlibat perang dengan Ratu Hati, bahkan bertarung dengan Jabberwocky menggunakan pedang Vorpal sungguh sangat epik.

Saya punya buku ini dalam bahasa Inggris, maupun yang sudah diterjemahkan ke dalam bahasa Indonesia. Namun rasanya tidak lengkap jika tidak mendapatkan buku yang lengkap ini. Hari ini, 05-09-15, saya sempat melihatnya di toko buku Gramedia,
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly
What can I say about Alice? This book has partly made me who I am! She is wonderfully innocent and curious, surrounded by a world of wonder. No film however hard they try will capture the magic.
And this Barnes and Noble edition is so beautiful it some how manages to make the story even more special!
Boxall's 1001 Bo...: Alice's Adventures in Wonderland 3 43 Jun 16, 2015 07:02AM
FHS English 12 - ...: Week Three 15 11 Feb 27, 2015 03:42PM
Three Nerds and a...: Alice in Wonderland Discussion 1 8 Feb 01, 2013 05:09PM
Reading the Classics: Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass 29 230 Dec 10, 2012 07:43PM
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Jane Austen: Seven Novels
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • The Complete Fiction
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Seven Novels
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens
  • Ernest Hemingway: Four Novels
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Wonderful Books of Oz: The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz (Oz, #1, 6, 14)
  • Jurassic World: Jurassic Park / The Lost World
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • Alice in Wonderland (Based on the motion picture directed by Tim Burton)
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • The Picture of Dorian Gray and Other Works (Halcyon Classics)
The Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

More about Lewis Carroll...

Oxford Bookworms: Stage 2 (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Anne of Green Gables
  • Grace Darling
  • Huckleberry Finn
  • The Jungle Book
  • The Piano
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, #2) The Complete Stories and Poems The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition

“Only the insane equate pain with success."
"The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die."
_Cheshire Cat”
“The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"
"Come, we shall have some fun now!", thought Alice. "I'm glad they've begun asking riddles - I believe I can guess that," she added aloud.
"Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?" said the March Hare.
"Exactly so," said Alice.
"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do," Alice hastily replied; "At least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well said that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!".
"You might just as well say," added the March Hare, "that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!".
"You might just as well say," added the Dormouse, which seemed to be talking in its sleep, "that "I breath when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breath"!".
"It is the same thing with you," said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.”