Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories (Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classics Series)

4.19 of 5 stars 4.19  ·  rating details  ·  19,452 ratings  ·  117 reviews
Soon to be a major motion picture, this is the original Alice in Wonderland and all of Lewis Carroll other classic stories. Has a active table of contents. Other stories include:

Alice in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, With a Proem by Austin Dobson
Alice's Adventures Under Ground
The Game of Logic
The Hunting of the Snark, an Agony...more
Kindle Edition
Published (first published June 1st 1962)

To ask other readers questions about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Other Stories

Caroline Åsgård
This is the first Barnes & Noble Leatherbound Classic book I have read, and judging by only the cover, it's absolutely astounding. Cute and pink with wonderful artwork, and pages dipped in gold which gives the pages that ''old'' vintage feeling! The first two parts of the book is of course the Alice books - I finished those in a day each, it was wonderful reliving my childhood, and also learning more about the books, as the Disney and Tim Burton movies are just mere interpretations. I loved...more
Angela
How am I supposed to explain all this? I swear Lewis Carroll was on drugs. If you asked me to make up something as wildly insane as this, I wouldn't even come close. Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and Through the Looking-Glass are exactly as I remembered the films. They're insane and brilliant all at once.

It was the Sylvie & Bruno books that took me the longest to get through, because I honestly had no idea what was going on at times. The basic premise is the narrator going along on his no...more
Yelena
This particular edition is part of Barnes & Noble's Leather-bound Classics Collection. Carroll's volume is bound by distinctive pink bonded leather, with black illustration and gold leaf embellishment; "Beautiful" is an understatement when describing this collection; it's exquisite - to say the least! These books are so precious to me. They are the epitome of what my "dream library" will contain; breath-taking editions of the classics and masterpieces. Most of the books in this particular co...more
Priscila Palomares
This is my favorite book! i absolutely love it and would recommend it to anyone who loves puzzles, riddles and poems.
JSou
Feb 23, 2010 JSou marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have to get this just for the cover.
Katy
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland

Such a strange tale. I've always been so enchanted by it though -- especially the cryptic rhymes interspersed. Are they meant to mean anything? Are the "morals" presented throughout the book to be taken seriously...or are they Carroll's idea of satirizing the moralizing books of his time period?

Alice falls into the rabbit hole with society's rules in mind. She takes the virtues and rules from school and her parents...and she finds that they don't apply. Much like...more
Kara
It's a strange thing, these stories. "Alice in Wonderland" and "Through the Looking Glass and What Alice Found There" are the more popular of Reverend Charles Lutwidge Dodgson's, better known as Lewis Carroll, writings.

They're definitely written for children but I do not think children of this day and age would enjoy it as much. There's a lot of mention of poetry and song and verse that only a child from 18th century England would get. But it's very fun either way. Probably best to read the sto...more
Rikke
"LOVE-lighted eyes, that will not start
At frown of rage or malice!
Uplifted brow, undaunted heart
Ready to dine on raspberry-tart
Along with fairy Alice!
"

Happy blabbering nonsense, puzzling riddles, surreal phantasms, a profound love for tea, talking rabbits, invisible fairies and a perfect understanding of how the world looks through the eyes of a child. That is the essential ingredients of Carroll's writing.

No author has ever since made such magnificent wordplay and used such a heavy amount of a...more
Whitney
One day a curious little girl named Alice follows a rabbit down a rabbit-hole, and what ensues is a fantastical adventure that most people could not even dream up. After a constant act of shrinking and growing Alice meets the many characters of Wonderland, a blue caterpillar smoking a hookah, who's sentences tend to go round and round like an 8-track player, all ending with "Who are you?" She has tea with the Mad Hatter and the March Hare leaving more confused than when she arrived and drinking...more
I've always loved the Alice stories and have read them many times. I think that people who pass off these books as pure nonsense are reading it wrong. Yes, the stories seem whimsical and nonsensical on the outside, but when read carefully, one can find nuggets of truth and wisdom amongst the nonsense. The Alice stories get the reader to question a lot of things that they would usually take for granted. They're also a great commentary on the power of the English language.

Although I'm very famili...more
Leslie Gonzales
Been eyeing this adorable pink & gold leatherbound edition for months. On a whim I finally walked into Barnes & Noble and bought it. When I got home that same night, I finished Alice's Adventures in a sitting. Such an easy and lovable read for me; I have many, many times before. Even as an adult I feel akin to Alice still. Happy to have this on my shelf and to dive into "Other Stories" within the next few months/years, whenever that mood strikes.
Rachel Lundwall
Of course I love Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass. Those books get 4 stars from me. I've loved them since I was a kid and will continue to love them for a long while yet.

It's the Sylvie and Bruno and other works in this collection that brought my rating down to a 3. I gave Sylvie and Bruno an honest shot (5 chapters) and appreciated the plays on words sprinkled here and there, but when it comes down to it, you have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate Victorian literat...more
Kayleigh Dolly D'Andilly
What can I say about Alice? This book has partly made me who I am! She is wonderfully innocent and curious, surrounded by a world of wonder. No film however hard they try will capture the magic.
And this Barnes and Noble edition is so beautiful it some how manages to make the story even more special!
Summer
I would not have had a childhood without the works of Lowis Carroll. This book will always be my favorite. Alice in Wonderland is literary gold!I love the art on the cover and silver lined pages. The Barns and Noble leather bound edition is beautiful. Truly a great book inside and out!
Tyler
Alice In Wonderland by Lewis Carroll is about a girl Alice who gets transported into another world. I really enjoyed reading this book beacause of its great details, illustrations, likeable characters, and great story, and its just enjoyable to read. Id recomned this book to anyone.
Aaron
While ground-breaking for his time, these stories haven't stood the test of time that well, at least not for me.
Both Alice stories are just a string of events with no plot, no story line, no character development etc. Light-hearted and whimsy, yes, but I board with them, chairman of the board. Also, Alice is a brat with British imperialism/subjugation attitudes, running around telling everyone they're doing it wrong because it isn't her way of doing it. haha

Sylvie & Bruno was more of the sam...more
Ioana
Loved it! Read parts of it when I was young, but then I only cared about the story.
Great word-games, great metaphors (hope that's the English word for it), simply an amazing read to get you disconnected in smart way.
Lelani
I hated this book. I loved the movie as kid, and I thought that I would like this as well, but when you read it - it's like reading the experience of a drug addict that is high.
Heidi
Whimsical, witty, and wildly imaginative. What more can one say?... well, other than odd. (I only read the one book. It was for a Book Club.)
Precious
Okay. I only read this copy description 192 pages.
But I can't find this copy anywhere on goodreads.It was an adorable read. I can't believe I never knew about it until recently. The only Alice I knew was from the Disney movie.. I can see where things have changed. I hope to read 'Through the looking glass' soon. That copy I have managed to find the copy that my local library has.
Sara
Only read the first book in this huge set, but it was quite good. Probably will get around to the rest of it piecemeal. Never read Lewis Carroll before and I loved his use of riddles and wordplay. This will appeal to older fantasy geeks, but these crazy kids today might not like it much. Never was a fan of the original animated Disney film, but the Disney Tim Burton/Johnny Depp film is great.
Emily
Alice is one of my most adored fictional characters. She and I have so much in common and Lewis Carroll made this beloved children's story into one that I will continue to read over and over again through adulthood.
Willow Eira
It may have been the same Alice story I've read 100 times but I just had to have this book when I saw it. It's beautiful! Perfect for any collector.
Oliviaminions
Beautiful cover and illustrations! Fun and quirky story line! Perfect for any crazy person like me! But seriously hilarious and tons of fun.
Jacob Combs
Without illustrations much of the joy of reading the Alice books and The Hunting of the Snark is missing. The original illustrations are necessary to understand what a Cheshire Cat looks like or what the characters look like that went hunting the Snark. Phantasmagoria needs major editing. There are no spaces after periods, commas, and other punctuation marks. Some sentences end with a period or a space. Some words in the body of a sentence are incorrectly capitalized as if they were the first wo...more
Marti
As an adult, it was interesting to read this novella and reflect on its belnding of genres. As a person interested in politics, and also as someone interested in Victorian England, I found the political satire within it interesting and delightful. I am also a sucker for a pun and enjoyed the use of those throughout the work. I'm glad that the list of hundred books that FB published gave me the spur I needed to read this work. Of course, I've read portions of it but I couldn't recall ever having...more
Jolanta Sondej
I liked the Alice stories but not the Sylvie and Bruno
Bonnie Barnes
A perennial must-read at various stages of life.
Shermin
love it for no reason.alice...
Kyle Rasor
Overall this is a great book with several Lewis Carrol works. Some may argue that these stories dont make any sense but they are fun to read aloud to children because they are stories that can take their imagination anywhere. The illustrations throughout the book are also a great addition. They are full of rich detail and add to the story. The only complaint about this book itself is that the print is very small and extremely hard for a child to read. But the book itself is great and very intere...more
Three Nerds and a...: Alice in Wonderland Discussion 1 8 Feb 01, 2013 05:09PM
Reading the Classics: Alice in Wonderland & Through the Looking Glass 29 221 Dec 10, 2012 07:43PM
  • Five Novels: Oliver Twist, A Christmas Carol, David Copperfield, A Tale of Two Cities, Great Expectations
  • Seven Novels
  • Jules Verne: Seven Novels
  • Wicked / Son of a Witch (The Wicked Years, #1-2)
  • The Martian Chronicles/The Illustrated Man/The Golden Apples of the Sun
  • Seven Novels
  • The Complete Fiction
  • Vampire Chronicles: Interview with the Vampire, The Vampire Lestat, The Queen of the Damned (Anne Rice)
  • Alice's Adventures in Wonderland: A Pop-Up Adaptation
  • Hans Christian Andersen: Classic Fairy Tales
  • Jurassic World: Jurassic Park / The Lost World
  • American Gods / Anansi Boys: Coffret, 2 volumes
  • The Adventures of Tom Sawyer/Adventures of Huckleberry Finn/The Prince & the Pauper
  • The Wizard of Oz and Other Wonderful Books of Oz: The Emerald City of Oz and Glinda of Oz (Classics Deluxe Edition)
  • Carrie / 'Salem's Lot / The Shining
  • Peter Pan in Kensington Gardens
  • Jane Eyre / Les Hauts de Hurle-Vent / Agnes Grey
  • Alice in Wonderland (Based on the motion picture directed by Tim Burton)
The Rev. Charles Lutwidge Dodgson, better known by the pen name Lewis Carroll, was an English author, mathematician, logician, Anglican clergyman and photographer.

His most famous writings are Alice's Adventures in Wonderland and its sequel Through the Looking-Glass as well as the poems "The Hunting of the Snark" and "Jabberwocky", all considered to be within the genre of literary nonsense.

Oxford s...more
More about Lewis Carroll...
Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass Alice in Wonderland (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #1) Through the Looking-Glass, and What Alice Found There (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland #2) The Complete Stories and Poems The Annotated Alice: The Definitive Edition

“Only the insane equate pain with success."
"The uninformed must improve their deficit, or die."
_Cheshire Cat”
10 likes
“The Hatter opened his eyes very wide on hearing this; but all he said was, "Why is a raven like a writing-desk?"
"Come, we shall have some fun now!", thought Alice. "I'm glad they've begun asking riddles - I believe I can guess that," she added aloud.
"Do you mean that you think you can find out the answer to it?" said the March Hare.
"Exactly so," said Alice.
"Then you should say what you mean," the March Hare went on.
"I do," Alice hastily replied; "At least - at least I mean what I say - that's the same thing, you know."
"Not the same thing a bit!" said the Hatter. "Why, you might just as well said that "I see what I eat" is the same thing as "I eat what I see"!".
"You might just as well say," added the March Hare, "that "I like what I get" is the same thing as "I get what I like"!".
"You might just as well say," added the Dormouse, which seemed to be talking in its sleep, "that "I breath when I sleep" is the same thing as "I sleep when I breath"!".
"It is the same thing with you," said the Hatter, and here the conversation dropped and the party sat silent for a minute, while Alice thought over all she could remember about ravens and writing-desks, which wasn't much.”
5 likes