Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5)

Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady #5)

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  1,198 ratings  ·  62 reviews
The Breakfast Bunch is excited for the upcoming bake sale—and the best part is that it's raising money for an awesome field trip. But when all the snacks go missing, it's no laughing matter. Someone is sabotaging the bake sale. But why?

Lunch Lady and the Breakfast Bunch are hot on the trail . . . one brownie crumb at a time....more
Published December 28th 2010 by Knopf Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit

Smile by Raina TelgemeierThe Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian SelznickBone, Vol. 1 by Jeff SmithDiary of a Wimpy Kid by Jeff KinneyAmulet, Vol. 1 by Kazu Kibuishi
Best Graphic Novels for Children
172nd out of 537 books — 602 voters
Echo's Revenge by Sean AustinOz by Eric ShanowerAdventures in Cartooning by James SturmThe Indispensable Calvin and Hobbes by Bill WattersonThe Authoritative Calvin And Hobbes by Bill Watterson
Reluctant (Boy) Readers
41st out of 51 books — 5 voters

More lists with this book...

Kari Weber
Who would have thought that their lunch lady (or gentleman) was a superhero on the side? The principal at Thompson Brook has organized a bake sale to raise funds for a field trip to a generic museum. On the day of the sale, all of the goodies go missing. In this fifth part of the series, Lunch Lady must catch the Bake Sale Bandit with the help of her sidekick Betty and the Breakfast Bunch. The premise of having a lunch lady for a superhero presents a comical, non-traditional twist to the genre....more
“Jumping jelly!” Someone has stolen the goodies for the school’s bake sale! Can Lunch Lady foil this dastardly plan to spoil the fundraiser? Readers will be hanging on every “Bah!”, “BOOF!”, and crumb clue to help solve the mystery before the final school bell rings!

Jarrett Krosoczka’s Lunch Lady graphic novel series holds one of my favorite characters to root for and follow. I mean—Come on! She has the coolest toys! Armed with everything from a cookie cam to rubber glove suction cups, Lunch Lad...more
Dolly
Sep 01, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children who enjoy reading graphic novels
This is the fifth book in the Lunch Lady series by Jarrett J. Krosoczka. We just started reading this series this summer and our girls really like the stories. They are fun, fast reads and I love that the superheroes are women.

Our youngest really loves the Babymouse and Squish series by Jennifer L. Holm and Matthew Holm, so we are excited to find another fun graphic novel series.

The story was an exciting, quick read and I can see the books appealing to both boys and girls. The illustrations ar...more
Gabi
When the school field trip depends on the earnings of a school wide bake sale, it's no good when the goods go missing! Luckily, Lunch Lady is back and on the case to keep an on the Breakfast Bunch and figure out who is behind the nefarious cupcake theft. This is a great series for young readers, reluctant and voracious, with appealing black/white/gray/yellow illustrations, funny characters, and a clever story line. Exclamations like "spicy salsa!" and cool tools like the Spork Phone will have ev...more
Jenny
Brittany Tatum
Jarrett Krosoczka's Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit is a graphic novel about a superhero lunch lady who is on a mission to discover who stole the baked goods from the school bake sale. The lunch lady and her sidekick eventually catch the bandit and save the bake sale.

I enjoyed this book, it was quite entertaining. The illustrations were colorful and it incorporated a variety of different texts and fonts to catch the reader's eye. I think that elementary-aged children would enjoy this book co...more
Natalie Varnell
Genre: Graphic Novel
(referenced in text on page 116)
Summary: A principal plans a bake sale for the school so that students can raise money to attend a fun field trip. The students bake goods turn up stolen, and it’s up to the Lunch Lady to help catch the thief.
a. Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit has very appealing cartoonish illustrations and is very reader-friendly.
b. The illustrations found within Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit mirror cartoons that children may watch on Saturday mornin...more
Tara
Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit by Jarrett J. Krosoczka is a book about a school that is trying to raise money for a field trip. The principal of the school comes up with the idea of a bake sale but when it comes time for teh bake sale all of the baked goods have gone missing. The Lunch lady sets off to find the theif who stole the baked goods and get them back so they can raise the money needed for the children to go on their field trip.
I wouldn't say the story was VERY well written but I...more
Katelan Mccullum
I read this book because I collaborated with a group of students to create a 7 day unit entiteled " Sweet to be in 4th grade." We searched for books and other resources that would relate to the overall topic. I found this book and thouht it would be great for independent reading!This graphic novel is a part of a series. Krosoczka tells the story of how the principal of the school plans a bake sale so that the students can attend a field trip. However,to their disappointment, the baked goods go m...more
Nicolette
Audience: This graphic novel is ideal for students in grades 3-5.

Appeal: The Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit is apart of series of books. This book, as well as the whole series, would appeal to kiddos who enjoy "comic strip" type reads. This series would connect well to intermediate grade level children because they're constantly wondering about the staff at their school! This lady fights crime and serves the students!

Application: I read how a group of 4th grade teachers used this book (seri...more
Courtney
Hilarious! It's no wonder that kids love these books. Well timed, funny characters and situations: the hero is a lunch lady whose top secret phone is a spork! Kids won't have to go in order of the series to enjoy these- they can pick up any at any time.

Diary of a Wimpy Kid and Captain Underpants fans will love the Lunch Lady graphic novels.
Carmen
Mar 24, 2014 Carmen added it
i think awsome
Lunch Lady and the Bake Sale Bandit (Lunch Lady, #5) by Jarrett J. Krosoczka
Victoria Whipple
Lunch Lady is back. After reading the first Lunch Lady, I was disappointed with the next three books. They just didn't have the same clever, cafeteria-related superhero gadgets or humor. Looking back, I think that's because they put the "breakfast bunch" in too central a role. It's Lunch Lady and Betty who are the real stars of the series, and they are back in form in this fifth installment. The "breakfast bunch" kids are still there helping alert them to skullduggery and clues; and getting in t...more
Holly Letson
Oh how much I will hate not having any more of this series to read, but the library only had V1-3 and V5, and I finished this one yesterday, so it's on to another series next. I recommend these to everyone, as they are really funny.
-----------
There's going to be a bake sale to raise money for the field trip....or, is there? It seems that the baked goods and sweets have all been stolen. But, Lunch Lady and The Breakfast Bunch are both on the case! And, it turns out to be a bus driver that hates...more
Mrs. Knott
You have to love a book that has the heroine shouting, "greasy bacon!" in a pivotal moment!
I love that this series has reluctant readers fighting over the books!
Jess
The bake sale bandit was one that had a lot of mystery. This one wasn't predictable at all. I mean you have so many suspects. I truly believed the janitor did it. Then you find out who did and ou think wow that was not the person I suspected. I honestly thought wow this person is crazy well at least they are not in the right state of mind. This one I loved because of the mystery. My son would tell you in his five-year old talk. "Oh Wow it has a dinosaur!" This book was a great addition to the se...more
Marilyn
The 5th book of the lunch lady series. Cupcakes are cool & so are cookies! That's the main reason I love this book.
Sam is clearly hooked on this series. Lots of fun to read.
Samantha
The school is raising money for a field trip but when all the baked good go missing from the Bake Sale it's up to Lunch Lady and Betty to find the culprit. There are plenty of suspects, but it all comes down to a face off with the bus driver who has some gadgets of her own which makes for an epic battle.

The volumes in this series are all linked together by 1 continuous string of story, meaning one volume makes way for another. They could be read out of order, but they are best read sequentially....more
Ubalstecha
The Lunch Lady is back! And this time she is after the nefarious person who stole the bake sale goods from the cafeteria. Using her bag of cafeteria inspired tricks, like rubber glove suction cups, mirror broom and mac and cheese cannon, the Lunch Lady tackles with the crazed bus driver, while avoiding detection by the hall monitor, Orson. Also returning Betty and the Lunch Bunch.

This book continues the tradition of black and white illustrations with yellow highlights. Sully fun for those who l...more
Nick
Silly slapstick superheroics. Elementary school kids who like goofy humor will eat up this series. My only minor quibble is that some parents won't like the level of violence, which in this volume includes some actual life-threatening stuff. That seemed a little bit much for the rest of the story. Then, there's the traditional misleading cover, but at least that was really cool artwork, complete with explosion-propelled sweets.
I would give this to kids who have read Captain Underpants, but deser...more
Kathy Ellen Davis
Ok, we all know I love Lunch Lady.
But did you know I also love bake sales?
I always made cupcakes for them, even when I was little.
I once made calculator buttons on cupcakes for a French project.

ANYWAY
This book is great.
I really appreciate how the end leads into the next one a little bit, a little teaser if you will...that's cool!

Haiku Review:
Cupcakes and cookies:
What kind of person steals sweets?
Lunch Lady's on it!
Cemeread
How dare someone steal the goodies from a school bake sale! Who doesn't love cookies and cupcakes!? The lunch lady will find out. While it may not take long to figure out the culprit, this book is a fun read with humor, action, and of course the Lunch Lady's special gadgets for solving a mystery. You'll be entertained and perhaps wondering just what those lunch ladies are thinking when they look at you like that in line.

Bdalton
This is "Who stole the cookie from the cookie jar", but it's not just one cookie - it's all the items from the bake sale. This book is pure good fun and should appeal to both girls and boys who love a good mystery and funny story. I love the lunch lady. She's believes in kids and fights their battles with them! A little over the top at the end, but that could add to the fun for most kids.
Jessica Levitt
This is my first lunch lady title. I think these will be popular with the Grade 1-3 crowd. The text and graphics are very accessible, and I don't mind the simple white/black/grey/yellow colour palate. My experience with graphic novels to date has been with full colour graphics. The lunch lady is a very unlikely heroine who saves the school field trip by discovering the bake sale goods thief.
Jamie Forrest
Another hit in my books! This is the 5th book in the Lunch Lady series. I really enjoyed the story as well as the small details added to the illustrations. I particularly like the tools that Lunch Lady and Betty use (like the "Fancy Ketchup Packet Laser". The Breakfast Bunch have become a favourite to both me and my students! They will be very excited to add this to our collection.
Kelly
This was one of my favorite Lunch Lady books. I made sure to really pay attention to the pictures/graphics this time. I thought it was funny. Some parts were realistic and of course some parts (like the fire-breathing bus) were outrageous. We have also all experienced that awful bus driver. I like how it leaves clues so the reader can try to figure out the mystery, too.
Jennifer Wiggins
Although this book looks like a chapter book, it is a ver fast read. I would aim it towards 3rd and 4th grade due to the use of made up words in the book. For me, the talking bubbles and pictures are very hard to follow. I could see myself using this book for a lesson on how to use talking bubbles appropriately.
Angie
I love the all the awesome gadgets and funny outbursts in these books.

"Spicy salsa!" "French fries!" "Brussel sprouts!"

Slight spoilers ahead ...

Lunch Lady. GROSS. Tasting icing left on the school floor. Don't you know about the five second rule?

Buszilla was COOOOOOOOOOOL. Even if he was evil.
Nancy Jo Lambert
The Lunch Lady is one of my new favorite characters! I knew the kids loved these graphic novels, but I had no idea why until I read a couple. With lines like "Brussels sprouts! The apple alarm!" and with her super secret spyware that are kitchen utensils, these graphic novels are simply amazing!
  • Brave New Pond (Squish, #2)
  • Binky to the Rescue
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Frankie Pickle and the Pine Run 3000
  • Gabby and Gator
studiojjk.com
punkfarm.com
lunchladycomics.com

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jarrett J. Krosoczka used to be a goofy kid that liked to draw. Now, he is a published author/illustrator with many books to his credit. Growing up in Worcester, MA Jarrett drew relentlessly and always had a cast of characters that he wrote stories for. In 9th grade, Jarrett won a contest with The Worcester Telegram & Ga...more
More about Jarrett J. Krosoczka...
Lunch Lady and the Cyborg Substitute (Lunch Lady, #1) Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2) Lunch Lady and the Author Visit Vendetta (Lunch Lady, #3) Lunch Lady and the Mutant Mathletes (Lunch Lady, #7) Lunch Lady and the Summer Camp Shakedown (Lunch Lady, #4)