Start by marking “A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club, #2)” as Want to Read:
A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers’ Club, #2)

A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior (Adventurers' Club #2)

3.91  ·  Rating Details ·  2,662 Ratings  ·  134 Reviews

The Rules:

A lady should always make polite conversation . . .

Theresa Weller understands the rules of decorum, and is appalled when Colonel Bartholomew James disrupts a perfectly civilized dinner. This rude, insensitive man is the complete opposite of everything a gentleman should be--but with one searing kiss, Tess can think of no one else.

A lady should never lose her te

Published April 27th 2010 by HarperCollins e-books

To ask other readers questions about A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Lady's Guide to Improper Behavior

Eastofoz
Déjà vu anyone ? Suzanne Enoch is an auto-buy for me but when I’ve already read the book the last thing I want to do it buy it again disguised as something new and that’s pretty much what she’s done with this story. It’s a recycled version of England's Perfect Hero only not as well-written and without the emotional punches you got via the hero. Now if you haven’t read "England’s Perfect Hero" then you may love this story because it’s good for the most part. Though it’s the second book in the Adv ...more
Becca
Apr 13, 2014 Becca rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-shelf
Suzanne Enoch definitely has a formula...and that is perfectly acceptable because I love it :) Enoch's formula goes something like this: 1) heroine is spunky/different and attracts the hero's attention almost immediately; 2) hero is scarred/injured/brooding in some way, but is drawn to the heroine like a moth to a flame; 3) there are typically no silly misunderstandings in the book but instead the hero and heroine unite early on which sets up the final ingredient; 4) there is a villain that the ...more
Melissa
BJ Rose
May 10, 2010 BJ Rose rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Advice you won't find in 'A Lady's Guide to Proper Behavior':

1)Strongly berate someone at dinner while you're a guest in his brother's house
2) Tell a disabled man that he must ask you to dance
3) Kiss the disabled man on the stairs of his house after you've grabbed his cane & caused him to stumble
4) Enter a bachelor's bedroom while said bachelor is in his bed

I'm a sucker for stories about wounded and emotionally tortured heroes, so I was strongly disposed to like Bartholomew. I initially thou
Linds
This is one of those romances where I am really fond of the hero but as a book there are some things that are just "off" and it never completely clicks with me.

Tolly is a man recently back from India damaged and traumatized, both physically and mentally. A native renegade group called the Thugee pretended to befriend Tolly's group. It ends in tragedy when Tolly's group and all fifteen men are ambushed, murdered, and thrown down a well. Tolly, left for dead is the only survivor and returns to Eng
Cheryl
What a delightful book this was to read! 4 stars!!

I just love a brooding hero that scowls and has a temper, and this book's hero is just that! He is an injured war hero who has all but given up on life until he meets the heroine of the story who gives him the will to fight for his life! She sparks his temper and ignites his passions. He makes her want to do all sorts of things a proper lady shouldn't be doing.

I really enjoyed reading about their story; it was sweet and touching and I can't wait
Micii
Jul 27, 2014 Micii rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I am an ardent fan of historical romance. The end of this book I was chained to a chair and leave you breathless. Simply amazing.
Lady Darcie Guenon
Apr 26, 2010 Lady Darcie Guenon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: romance lovers
Recommended to Lady Darcie by: walmart
(you may remember ColonelJames from the book The Care and Taming of a Rogue) Theresa Weller at first bugged me but when i found out that she had a whole different side to her, i completely changed my mind. She was just trying to stop scandalous things from happening around her...until she meets Colonel Bartholomew James. A wounded soldier with fowl temper trying to stay away from everything he onced loved. But once a dinner party goes wrong both Tess and Tolly find themselves in a situation that ...more
Erika B. (SOS BOOKS)
I'm sorry. I just woke up from the long nap that was this book.
Julia Schm'ck
Oct 31, 2015 Julia Schm'ck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wirklich gut, hat mich aber am Ende nicht zu 100 % abgeholt.
Roshio
Loved the fact that these two were so blunt and honest about their attraction to each other with none of the usual romantic misunderstandings. Refreshing.
penelopewanders
The worst thing about this book is that I don't have the next in the series. This is the story of a prim and proper miss - an expert at primness and propriety, in fact, seeing as she's written the guide - who almost inadvertently tackles a broken hero. Along the way to their happy ending they discover they've more in common than they or society in general would have imagined. I enjoyed this story and appreciated both the heroine and the hero. A very good read - too bad I don't have the next (yet ...more
Alexis
Aug 11, 2011 Alexis rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, my-reviews
Theresa "Tess" Weller is a lady so proper, she wrote the book on propriety. Literally. After spending thirteen years researching (and living and breathing) the topic, she anonymously published a booklet called "A Lady's Guide to Proper Behavior" that has been widely circulated among the ladies of the ton. Tess' hard work has paid off, but despite a plethora of suitors and marriage proposals, she remains unmarried...and largely uninterested in her prospects.

Until she meets Colonel Bartholomew "T
Ally
Jul 15, 2015 Ally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sarcasm is my crack

Overall, this was a fun read. Give me a slightly tortured and sarcastic hero any day (I say slightly tortured because I have absolutely no time for the "I'm drowning in my own misery" heroes. Please. Anyhoo, back to the point of the review.

Hero: Tolly. Love, love, love this guy. Seriously. He's in pain, he's miserable, he's a sad sack hiding out from the Ton and Society. And then he's thrust into the light of our darling, slightly tough, heroine. Sarcasm is his best friend
Keri
SE is a NTM author and if this is what I can expect it won't be the last. Col. Bartholomew "Tolly" James is back from a nightmare in India. He now has a busted leg, a bad attitude, needs a shave and a haircut. But when the proper Theresa Weller catches sight of the tall man all she sees is gold eyes and shaggy russet hair that she has to sit on her hands to keep from running her hands through.

When these two meet the sparks immediately began to fly, but they are also as mismatched as they come.
Blodeuedd Finland
This was just so fun! And different.

Theresa is a proper lady and does everything right. She even wrote a book about it. Now she does sound dull, but trust me she is not. She meets Tolly and throws caution to the wind. She pursues him, a lady should not pursue a gentleman. She does everything she should not do, and I loved her for it. You go girl!

Tolly is one of those brooding heroes. But he has a reason. Everyone in his company was killed and he was left for dead. Now he has a leg that is practi
June
Jul 03, 2010 June rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book. Col Bartholomew James (Tolly) was injured and back from India. He no longer wanted to live, much less be socialable. He barely wanted to be around his beloved siblings. All this was about to change when Theresa Weller (Tessa also known as the Sun) walked into his world. Tessa was proper, and stayed away from any improprieties, until Tolly.

I loved both of the characters and how Suzanne Enoch developed their relationship through the book. It didn't take long for both characters
Jul 27, 2012 Jennifer rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love Suzanne Enoch's books and literary style! This book is witty and full of humorous dialogue.The hero is a wounded soldier, both physically and spiritually, back from India.The lone survivor of a brutal attack by Thuggee, he is full of guilt and anger. Because of the venal greed and corruption of the East India Company, rumors are spread of his cowardice and he is accused of lying to excuse the deaths of his men. When he meets the heroine, his anger leads him to insult her! The toast of the ...more
Susan
Interesting read with a strong female character and a tortured hero. I liked the way they interacted together, she outgoing and he a bit surprised by it all but eventually getting won over by her sparkling personality, generosity and love.

A lot of the characters muttered 'Mmm-hmm' at one time or other and I found it very distracting.

I also thought the Thuggee stuff slowed the pace of the book down. I didn't find it all that compelling nor interesting especially when Tolly brought in all these ot
Gorgeous Nina
I seriously don't know why it took me this long to read this book it been sitting in my TR forever ><
It's not great or amazing... No No No IT'S BEYOND that it touched me so very deeply in a way that never happened before I don't know how to describe it!!!!
"Tolly" part of me will always belong to you and "Tess" dear, sweet and strong Tess I really really wish I could at least meet you.
I don't want to put spoilers in my review so, I'm ont saying more then I'm totally in love with this book a
AMythicalBeast
Read this. Really. Do.
Rarely has a hero ever been so very, very appealing before. If you read historicals for the romance, then this will definitely get you.
It takes a little time to like the heroine, but puh! to her. I didn't read this book for Tess. I read it for Colonel Bartholomew James.
So, read it. That's all.

nota bene: how can an author who wrote this book, write the utter pile of **** that is book 1 and 3 of this series? Really, how? I'm baffled.
Marti
I usually love Suzanne Enoch's books. Her characters are intelligent and witty. The stories are not mundane or ordinary. The book had all of her normal elements, but I found this book good - not great and not bad. Good. I think it is because I like the main male character to be a little bit more charming - and this one wasn't. None the less despite my tepid response if you like her books this one will be liked also.
This wasn't a bad romance but I found the romance scenes a bit passionless and forced sounding. I found the heroine a little annoying with her constant hesitation about whether or not she should do something because it might be seen to be improper. I recommend romance readers try other Suzanne Enoch books instead of this one, which I found to be a bit below par for her.
Yuvee
Jan 17, 2015 Yuvee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Ruth
Lovely romantic story with an intelligent heroine, and a courageous, wounded hero. Bit lacking in the steam department, but dreamily enjoyable nonetheless. Probably one of my favorite heroes.
Christina Pikas
Enjoyable but pretty typical. Better than some
Amy
Oct 06, 2014 Amy rated it liked it
I liked the story, and it would have gotten a higher rating had I not just read England's Perfect Hero (Lessons in Love, #3). The plots were way too similar.
Brandy
Mar 21, 2017 Brandy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Keeper shelf

I just re-read this one again. I love a good underdog story. This series is full of great characters with huge difficulties to overcome and lots of wonderful intrigue. The hero and heroine have a believable story arc not insta-love or contrived misunderstandings that last forever. Their relationship and the overall action of the book keep you hooked and waiting for the next turn until the very last page. Enjoy!
Nancy Brooks
Mar 23, 2017 Nancy Brooks rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have loved every Enoch book I've read and this one is no exception! Our heroine has written a book on proper behavior and proceeds to deliciously break all the rules.
Loved it!
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him (School For Heiresses #6)
  • For the Earl's Pleasure
  • The Courtship Dance (The Matchmaker #4)
  • Ten Things I Love About You (Bevelstoke, #3)
  • Tapestry
  • To Tame a Dangerous Lord (Courtship Wars, #5)
  • The Devil You Know (Rutledge Family #3)
  • Last Night's Scandal (Carsington Brothers #5)
  • A Groom of One's Own (The Writing Girls, #1)
  • Dukes to the Left of Me, Princes to the Right (Impossible Bachelors, #2)
  • Untouched
Suzanne was born in Southern California sometime in the latter half of the 20th century. In the way that some people are born knowing they want to be astronauts or cellists, Suzanne always knew she wanted to be a writer. Early dreams of becoming a zoologist and writing true stories about her adventures in Africa were crushed, however, after she viewed a television special about the world’s most po ...more
More about Suzanne Enoch...

Adventurers' Club (3 books)
  • The Care and Taming of a Rogue (Adventurers’ Club, #1)
  • Rules of an Engagement (Adventurers’ Club, #3)

“How many of us have gazed at a man and thought, ‘yes, him,’ only to have him pay his attentions to someone else? And how many of us have sighed and waited for some other gentleman to come forward? All I wish to ask is, why? Why not strike up a conversation? Why not determine for ourselves whether ‘he’ is the one? Why leave it to fate?”
A LADY’S GUIDE TO PROPER BEHAVIOR, 2ND EDITION”
24 likes
“I am a duke, you know. If I can't perform a miracle here and there I might as well be a butler in expesive clothes." He brushed at the sleeve of his well-tailored brown coat. "And butlers don't get to dance with attractive women.” 12 likes