Start by marking “HTML5 For Web Designers” as Want to Read:
HTML5 For Web Designers

HTML5 For Web Designers (A Book Apart #1)

4.06 of 5 stars 4.06  ·  rating details  ·  1,657 ratings  ·  150 reviews
HTML5 is the longest HTML specification ever written. It is also the most powerful, and in some ways, the most confusing. What do accessible, content-focused standards-based web designers and front-end developers need to know? And how can we harness the power of HTML5 in today’s browsers?

In this brilliant and entertaining user’s guide, Jeremy Keith cuts to the chase, with
Published June 28th 2010 by A Book Apart (first published 2010)

To ask other readers questions about HTML5 For Web Designers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about HTML5 For Web Designers

Don't Make Me Think by Steve KrugHTML5 For Web Designers by Jeremy KeithThe Art & Science of CSS by Cameron AdamsDesigning With Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanJavaScript by Douglas Crockford
Web Development
2nd out of 70 books — 41 voters
Content Strategy for the Web by Kristina HalvorsonHTML5 For Web Designers by Jeremy KeithDesigning with Web Standards by Jeffrey ZeldmanWeb Form Design by Luke WroblewskiBulletproof Web Design by Dan Cederholm
An Event Apart
2nd out of 44 books — 26 voters

More lists with this book...

Graham Herrli
How often do you laugh out loud while reading about coding standards?
(a) All the time!
(b) Exceedingly rarely, but I'd like to.
(c) Never. I hate laughter.

If you answered a, I'm afraid of you. Please keep away.
If you answered c, I'm afraid for you. Come here; you need a hug.
Otherwise, this book's for you. Jeremy Keith presents a history of the evolution of HTML5 in a terse, satiric tone that makes this book a must-read for anyone hoping to gain a greater familiarity with HTML5.

The book is the f
Nitya
I had pre-ordered this book and received it yesterday - it took me just over an hour (the duration of my commute into NYC) to zip through it. Based on this, my quick review.

The book is a slim 86 pages. Given the amount of detail in the HTML5 spec, this may seem lightweight. And in fact the author does spend the first 2 (of only 6) chapters discussing the history and process behind the creation of this spec - which further unsettled me. BUT.... once you get to Chap 3 (Rich Media) through 6 (Web F
Eugene Kravtsov
Nice primer on HTML5 for those already familiar with previous implementations of hypertext mark-up specs. This is not a tome of thorough reference, nor an introduction for beginners (author lists several resources in the end of the book for those seeking either). This small book (under 90 pages) is designed for experienced developers interested in basic information on what adoption of a new standard would mean for them.

Author starts with brief history of mark-up languages, starting with SGML up
Stephanie
This is a wonderful book. It doesn't attempt to teach you HTML from scratch. It's intended for people who've been working with HTML for a long time and just need to know what has changed in HTML5. It's concise, readable, and informative. Best of all, it's funny. Jeremy Keith writes about web design with obvious affection, even when it's exasperating: "Internet Explorer has special needs." "It would be inaccurate to say [the XHTML 2 spec] was going nowhere fast. It was going nowhere very, very sl ...more
Zlatan
I really don't want to be a party pooper, but I must say that I learned more about HTML5 by reading a couple of blog articles on the subject here and there. The only new things I actually learned is that the anchor element can now act as a block-level element, some new form features, the function of the "scoped" attribute, and the new content models.

I would suggest you to save your money, and instead find some online sources on HTML5, or just read Mark Pilgrim's free e-book that covers the same
Caitlin (Ayashi)
Jul 08, 2010 Caitlin (Ayashi) rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: web designers, web developers
Shelves: web-development
Great fast read for someone who wants a quick history and briefing of what the state is of HTML5 today. Good place to look for tips to start to use HTML5 now, too! After finishing the book, I'm pretty excited to give a simple HTML5 website a shot :)
Matt
HTML5! The latest and greatest specification! Some browsers support some of the specification some of the time. Others are slow to adopt anything. And it's huge! HTML5 is almost a complete re-vamp of the HTML specification. It's purpose is to simplify markup to better represent how the web is actually used. But it's still in flux, and gargantuan besides. How can we possibly start using HTML5 right now?

Such is the question that Jeremy Keith answers in "HTML5 for Web Designers". In it, Jeremy intr
Andrew
This is the first eBook that I've read cover-to-cover. The publishers say that they want the books to be short enough to digest on a plane flight from New York to Chicago. (More on their innovative publishing model here.) Their claim holds up. I plowed through this on my iPad before even getting out of bed for coffee one morning. When I was done, I understood all the important elements of HTML5 that distinguish it from previous web standards. But more than that, I was entertained. Keith is a sma ...more
Chad Warner
I found this very short HTML5 primer too shallow. It barely scratches the surface of HTML5, but I suppose that was the intent. I enjoyed the fact that it describes the creation of HTML5 in more detail than other HTML5 books I've read. Keith’s writing style is entertaining, and I laughed out loud a few times. Overall, I preferred Introducing HTML5 (my review) and Teach Yourself Visually HTML5 (my review).

HTML5 Design Principles
• "Support existing content" and "Do not reinvent the wheel": be back
Jeff Porter
A useful introduction to the power and the pitfalls embedded in HTML5. The historical synopsis of HTML5 and its predecessors is both succinct and enlightening, and possibly one of the funniest I’ve read.
While Keith expertly handles where to get started, he’s also quick to point out where to get off. Some aspects of HTML5 are not for every browser. Yet. Some still have hoops to jump through ‘in committee’ and others require fallbacks, which are also covered in light detail.
Beyond the interesting
Ben Babcock
I am very excited for HTML5. My experience with web design began in March 2004. I was young(er than I am now), and I decided to make a personal website on GeoCities. It was a gaudy affair that reflected my lack of design skills and made use of notorious elements like <marquee>. In the years that followed, I learned about web standards and accessibility. Now my websites still reflect a lack of design skills, but at least they're accessible! So I'm happy that HTML5's specifications are being ...more
David Hall
I had previously read 'Introducing HTML5 by Bruce Lawson, so I knew the main details and issues surrounding HTML5 implementation. When I heard Jeremy Keith was writing a book, I was excited, as I found him to be an incredibly engaging writer.

This book is a quick breakdown of the most important features of HTML5. What it isn't, is a thorough reference guide.

It is a great introduction for beginners, as it is brief and concise. I'm not entirely sure how much advanced HTML5 users will get out of it,
Corey Vilhauer
Excerpt from "What I've Been Reading - HTML5 for Web Designers."

"As a Web guy whose exposure to HTML and CSS has come exclusively from the routine hacking of free WordPress templates, HTML5 for Web Designers dives into the subject at my level - highlighting the changes and features of code that could change how the Web is organized and developed. Even better, it does so in a way that's akin to the 'spreading the gospel' model of Web talk - 100% devoted to letting the reader understand the code.

D
Loren
"HTML5 For Web Designers" by Jeremy Keith was the first book published by A Book Apart and does a good job at setting the tone for this series of useful books from the folks behind A List Apart. Jeremy does a good job at touching on key information such as obsolete tags, accessibility concerns, form enhancements, and semantics. What I was hoping for more of, was how to best begin using HTML5 today. There's a small section at the end of the book called "Using HTML5 Today", but it didn't provide m ...more
Rebecca
Picking up a coding book, I'm always afraid that I'll hit of boring brick wall of sleep-inducing description and instruction that is impossible to follow. Not only is this book highly readable, and in fact even entertaining, but it also is easy to understand and retain the material. It starts with a background on the birth of HTML5, and uses this description of its history and the philosophy behind it to help explain what HTML5 is doing and why. Along the way it includes suggestions and commenta ...more
G. Jason
Really decent, quick overview on what's to come with html5. (Finished it in about 2 hours) Covers much of the basics and what we can and cannot do so far. Billed under A Book Apart, "Brief Books for people who make websites.", this book is exactly that. Enough information to et your feet wet and ready to jump in to learn more.

This is also one of the first books on html5 to make it to the market as well.

Nicely designed, however a big quark that drives me a bit bonkers is the spine on the book.
Nancy Frishberg
I've read most of this book, and can comment that
a) the content is very accessible to non-programmers, though
b) knowing something about markup languages in general and the state of the world prior to HTML5 would be helpful
c) the content is largely about reassuring web designers that HTML5 is our friend, and that it simplifies a lot of things by "paving the cowpaths" - and making smart defaults for various tags.

This is not a comprehensive reference guide, nor is it a "learn to write HTML5 in 2
Lasse Bunk
Very helpful introduction to basic HTML5 and its history.
The Semantic section was especially helpful to me.
David
«HTML is the worst form of markup except all the others that have been tried.»

El capítulo clave es el que trata sobre la semántica del HTML5 (quinto capítulo) y nos invita a aprovechar sus nuevos elementos estructurales. Aunque algunos de esos elementos, como article y section, sean tan similares que la interpretación personal se torne aún necesaria al momento de usarlos. De todos modos, hay que enfocarse en organizar el contenido correctamente con el apoyo semántico del lenguaje. Y finalmente,
Erik Mallinson
I have been writing HTML for a long while and I'm familiar with the glacial pace of the W3C. For that reason I simply ignored the ongoing progress toward version 5 of HTML.

I should have waited longer. This book was well written and easy to understand for those with a basic understanding of HTML as it is now. Unfortunately a lot of the whiz-bang features working their way into HTML5 aren't supported well enough to implement. A lot. Reading this was kind of like propping your friend up on your sho
Ibrahim Mohamed
i read this book as an introduction for Html5 to know the future of web application and to enhance mu experience about the web the book is very powerful and support me with a lot of information about the war between w3c and WHATWG .
the principles of HTML5 :
1-"support existing content "
2-"don't reinvent the wheel "
3- "pave the cow paths"
Dgilz
Il a un format "livre de poche", mais il a tout d'un grand !
Les informations sont précises et pratiques. Certe, il se limite aux balises HTML5 propres à la mise en forme de pages web, mais il n'y a pas tromperie car c'est annoncé dans le titre. Si j'avais encore des doutes sur l'utilisation de l'HTML5, ils ont été balayés en 2 jours de lecture.
J'ai apprécié l'historique de HTML, et l'humour de Jeremy Keith (assez bien traduit, même si ça tombe un peu à plat en français)
A la lecture de ce livre,
Mark Jones
A short review for a short book. As the name implies, HTML5 for Web Designers covers all of the essentials of HTML5 including a short history of the HTML (and XHTML) standards. Jeremy Keith has an engaging writing style and the book rarely drags or feels dull. However, this style also means that the book will not serve well as a reference book.

Worth reading for any web developer/designer but if you've been keeping up to date with HTML in general then don't expect it to be revolutionary.
Irfan
Quick and worthy introduction to HTML5 features. :)
Trey Piepmeier
Well worth a read, and it's quite easy to finish in a sitting.

While some of the descriptions of the semantics of past and future tags had me talking to the book out loud in a mild rage (That's what semantics are for, right? Rage?), I think we can all agree that this book is the easiest way to get up-to-date with the current state of the hottest technology on the web. I feel like I now understand (or will once I continue to reference my sticky-note arrows) the new structural (and "sectional") tag
Hinch
In HTML5 for Web Designers, Jeremy Keith presents a well considered and elegantly worded overview of the world's most important markup language. This is a short book. It treads lightly across the surface of this complex specification, distilling several of the key changes and additions that have been introduced since HTML 4. This is not a reference guide. The book aims to deliver a taste for what's on offer; a treat that will inspire you, and then point you in the right direction. It's easy to d ...more
Janet Jang
so readable with a wonderful sense of humor: "After HTML 4.01, the next revision to the language was called XHTML 1.0. The X stood for “eXtreme” and web developers were required to cross their arms in an X shape when speaking the letter. No, not really. The X stood for “eXtensible” and arm crossing was entirely optional." - chapter 1

Even though some parts about javascript API and the new element went a bit over my head (i'm not a web designer by trade), the writing was clear and informative.
Brian Jones
A quick overview of the development of web markup standards provides the perfect context for this guide's goal to draw designers into the HTML5 mindset. Too little of the spec is currently supported by browsers so far to make an exhaustive reference (which this is not) of much use to most if not all designers. However, Keith gives examples of the new markup becoming available and explains its motivating principles in order to help designers start thinking in HTML5 in preparation for the transiti ...more
Cory
A rare reference book that is successfully short enough to read cover-to-cover while engaging and teaching you the entire time. It won't replace more comprehensive materials but it provides the right level of context and information to help explain what this HTML5 business is all about and highlight many of the key features, tools, and best practices. As a programmer I wanted more information about the ways HTML5 changes web applications, but that's not the intended purpose of the book.
Dave Emmett
Aug 01, 2010 Dave Emmett rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: web designers, web developers
Shelves: 2010, design
First of all, this book is beautifully designed.

But more importantly (or is it...), it was an incredibly helpful read on how to start using HTML5. I really enjoyed the chapter on Semantics (Chapter 5), where Jeremy Keith talks about the nitty gritty details about what the difference between an article and a section is, and other pressing issues I know everyone else has been worrying about too.

I have a feeling this is going to be a useful reference book for years to come.
  • CSS3 For Web Designers
  • CSS Mastery: Advanced Web Standards Solutions
  • Adaptive Web Design: Crafting Rich Experiences with Progressive Enhancement
  • The Zen of CSS Design: Visual Enlightenment for the Web
  • The Principles of Beautiful Web Design
  • Rocket Surgery Made Easy: The Do-It-Yourself Guide to Finding and Fixing Usability Problems

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »
Dom Scripting: Web Design with JavaScript and the Document Object Model Bulletproof Ajax The Mobile Book A Practical Guide to Designing with Data Responsive Web Design