Start by marking “Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)” as Want to Read:
Dead Reign (Marla Mason, #3)

Dead Reign (Marla Mason #3)

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,041 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
Death has come calling, and one woman
has what he wants most of all...

As chief sorcerer of Felport, Marla Mason thought she’d faced every kind of evil the magical world had to offer. But she’s never faced a killer like this. He’s dark, glib, handsome as the devil—and exactly who he says he is. Death—in the flesh. He’s arrived in Felport with a posse composed of a half-insa
Published October 28th 2008 by Spectra (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Dead Reign, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dead Reign

Antonio Diaz
Dec 01, 2015 Antonio Diaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-owned
Una continuación más que digna a las aventuras de Marla Mason. De nuevo ambientada en Felport, la protagonista se enfrenta a una nueva amenaza. Rondeau, la mano derecha de Marla tiene mucha más presencia en esta novela que en la segunda y se agradece. El contraste entre ambos y su humor compartido los hace muy creíbles y a los diálogos absolutamente brillantes.

También en esta novela se presentan algunos personajes nuevos y repiten muchos de los conocidos (en definitiva la novela comienza en Felp
Nicole Bunge
Have to say this is probably my favorite Marla Mason book so far. (I already finished 4.) Also, with that perspective, have to say this is beginning to look like a 'every other one is really good' set up... because #2 "Poison Sleep" was just... long, and #4 "Spell Games" was also long, and went and ended on a cliff hanger, which I'm still pissed about.

"Dead Reign" though, was a good, solid, ass-kicking book. What I like about Marla is that she has faults- and they do NOT help her- so she's real
Carien
Apr 18, 2016 Carien rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, fantasy
This is yet another great addition to a really cool series.

This book starts with Marla and Rondeau having a conversation about zombies while they're spying on a necromancer. So you can bet I was hooked from the start!

Soon Marla and Rondeau are split up by circumstances, but they both know how to get things done, even if they have different ways of doing so. I enjoyed seeing how each of them tried to make the best of the situation they were thrown into.

There are lots of cool and fun events in thi
Isaac
This is where things get interesting. Marla Mason defines herself in terms of her city, Felport, and so as part of the climax of the arc, she is denied it. Overall, the book is more about the people left, and the city itself than Marla. She is her own story's b-plot.

But the story flows with grit and anger to make it feel real, and urban, but nominally urban fantasy — although it's in and about a city, don't look for romantic sexytimes here! Marla is in crisis and goes to the Journey of Her Own P
Alan
Feb 29, 2016 Alan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
One of my continuing goals is to try out new authors. As there will unlikely be a new Dresden Files books this year, I'm exploring, for me, some new urban fantasy authors. For all of the negatives that have been posted about Butcher's writing and the Dresden books, I'll have to say I don't think Pratt's Marla Mason is quite as good a read.

On the plus side Marla is a much more engaging character than Hamilton's Anita Blake. I'm willing to buy Marla's wise ass commentary and attempt at a no nonsen
Juliana Rew
Aug 22, 2015 Juliana Rew rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I realize this 2008 offering from T. A. Pratt is the third in a longer series, but it's my first introduction to his master sorceress, Marla Mason.

It would have been nice to get to know Marla a little better before the action of this story begins. Instead, after Death kicks her out of Felport, the city she runs, she hardly plays a role in the story until about 80% of the way in.

While her supporters, led by mysterious entity Rondeau,
fight a rear-guard resistance, we are left to wonder what her n
Brooke
May 07, 2009 Brooke rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dead Reign is a unique addition to the Marla Mason series in that, Marla isn't able to protect her city because she has been exiled. This being the case, Rondeau gets his much needed time to shine. Having Walking Death after you can't be a good thing, and Marla has to go to hell, literally, to defeat him. I thought that Pratt's ideas for Death and hell were very interesting. Hell can't really be a fiery pit of despair can it? Well, not in Marla's world. Marla's trip to hell gives us a much neede ...more
Rebecca
Jan 13, 2009 Rebecca rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, modern-earth
This is the third book in the series, featuring Marla Mason, the head of all the hidden magic society in Felport, an imaginary East Coast city in the tradition of Gotham and Metropolis, though I'd say Felport is closer to the former than the latter. Aside from a new urban center, and the magic, Marla's world is pretty close to our own.

Anyway, in this book, Marla takes on Death, mostly because he steps in her territory and won't leave her alone. When having a character, even a powerful one, face
Rhonda
Apr 09, 2009 Rhonda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I got the ARC of this book as a part of the book goodie bag at the World Fantasy Convention in Calgary. After looking at the cover I never intended to read it. I mean, there was a hooded woman in a very odd posture and a cloak. It didn't really inspire my imagination. I read the back cover and rolled my eyes at the 'spunky woman meets and battles death' description. Then I don't remember how it happened, but I read a couple pages. And then a couple more. And then a couple more.

Dead Reign is a g
Kate
Aug 29, 2013 Kate rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I read it in the midst of general craziness, having to move out half the kitchen so it could be sprayed for bugs, and then retreating to the library so as not to breathe in the fumes, much of it on a backless chair.

I'm generally a fan of urban fantasy, and this is significantly better than average.

I like it because it is about Marla (mostly) and how much she cares for her city. She cares so much that she is willing to (view spoiler)
Reed
Nov 09, 2008 Reed rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you have enjoyed Pratt's previous two Marla Mason novels, you should enjoy this one--though perhaps not quite as much.

Sure it's a fun romp as always, though the third novel in the series felt a bit hurried, a bit "tossed off". Perhaps it's merely the fact that after the third time, I'm beginning to notice some of Pratt's tricks, repetitions, and quirks.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed Marla's latest adventure, though I am a tad worried where the series is headed. When the main character has a ru
Bastard
Feb 28, 2012 Bastard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

After a few disappointing urban fantasy reads recently, Dead Reign by T.A. Pratt was a welcomed change. This is the third installment of the Marla Mason series, and it gave me just what I was expecting to get out of it. I'm glad I held back continuing the series after finishing up Poison Sleep a few months back, as reading Dead Reign when I did was just what I needed at the time.

Death has come to Felport, and naturally it's chief sorcerer Marla Mas
Caitlin
Aug 21, 2014 Caitlin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
July
Oct 10, 2012 July rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: urban fantasy fans (who don't need/want romantic elements)
Liked:
* Marla is a hard character to understand and I get why some people don't like her. She can be ruthless and even her friends sometimes find her difficult to get along with. Still, she is completely unique especially in the overcrowded urban fantasy shelves. Also, her ruthlessness and the distance she keeps from most people starts to be explained in this book. I really enjoyed being able to peer more into her past.
* I never know what's going to happen next! The plot is delightfully unpredic
Andrew
May 21, 2012 Andrew rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Marla Mason goes to Hell. It isn't exciting. The author has a talent for describing supernatural events in a bland, workaday mode that fails to bowl me over -- either with the protagonist's reaction or the sheer special-effects awesomeness of it all. I realize I'm picky about this sort of thing: I regularly excoriate Simon Green for putting in special-effects narration that's over-the-top but *bad*. Richard Kadrey fell down at the job too. For what it's worth, Kate Griffin hits it dead-on.

So, th
Katie
This was a wild ride from start to finish.

Pratt created a neat way of getting Pelham out of the next few novels. I'll miss him - I always did enjoy the indispensable manservant trope (see: Alfred Pennyworth).

B is coming to Felport!
Jen
Marla Mason is not a nice person. She keeps her word, but if you mess with her, you're going down. In this story, Death - he doesn't SPEAK LIKE THIS, but he's apparently the real deal - tries to mess with her. It ends poorly for him, as we would expect.

Marla actually shows signs of character growth, which surprised me. I figured that it'd have to happen sooner or later, what with book 4 coming out in two months, but I didn't expect it now. It's subtle, but she's learning.

I like these books, but
James Murphy
Jan 19, 2016 James Murphy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series just gets better and better. It's a real feat to have Marla Mason not only confront Death but travel to the underworld (and become queen of the underworld to boot). I'm hooked on this series and I'm looking forward to the next book, "Spell Games."
Mortalform
[addressing Walking Death] "You only exist because of us," the Chamberlain said. " You are defined by us, by our cessation. When the last human dies you will die with her."
"Oh, no, no. I'm the death of all living things, from cockroaches to whales to kudzu to yogurt. Humans are just the most entertaining, because you worry about death so much, and think so hard about the aftermath. There is no afterlife for a field of corn, you know, when it's mown down. But you humans, you just have to go some
Ithlilian
Jan 11, 2011 Ithlilian rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
Marla Mason is an amazing and riveting character made better by her decisions in life threatening situations that these books continue to present. I was totally surprised at the way this book turned out, it was much better than the jacket describes! Marla has something that Death wants and will do anything to get back. Marla, as we know, will do anything to save her city. Throw in John Wilkes Booth, a man who thinks he's dead, a lich, and a starstruck servant and you have a very interesting stor ...more
Naleen
Mar 06, 2011 Naleen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011, urban-fantasy
My husband asked me what I was reading while I was reading this. I fumbled for some sort of explanation and when I realized how ridiculous it sounded, it made me like these books more. They are just plain fun. And easy to read on a treadmill. I mean, really, what's not to love about an ass-kicking female protagonist with magical powers and her silly cohorts? This book has it all. Death (with a capitol D), marriage, violence, sorcery, a groveling manservant... Anyway, this series is my guilty ple ...more
Jay Daze
Jun 24, 2016 Jay Daze rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Like this entry in Marla Mason's adventures much better than the last book, where I really, really hated the stuff with... not love interest - the magical mind fucker. (Is Josha supposed to be a male femme fatale? Cause he just seems like a rapist.) Unfortunately there is a revisting of this near the end of this book, but at least it is mercifully short. Other than that, good overall. Like that it wasn't a massive fight at the end. Marla is smart and creative in how she gets shit done.
Casey
Apr 16, 2013 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another really good installment in this series!

My only complaint is that some of the plot twists I saw coming a mile away, but then, there were also explanations for the protagonist not seeing them coming, so I don't fault the plot for that.

I like this incarnation of Death. And actually the Underworld altogether. One of the reasons I enjoy this series so much is that Pratt is remarkably original. Something that's so rare with urban fantasy these days.
Michelle
Jun 09, 2013 Michelle rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm giving this one a four because for HIS books I loved it. I still don't think he is a great writer, I would be pushing it to say good writer, but I liked this one a lot. The idea of Death was cool and I think his books are wonderfully original. I enjoyed seeing more of Randeau (I think, her sidekick guy) and since Ted is dead Pen.... (Butler guy) is a good substitute. I also like that the new "good guys" didn't die like they always seem to do.
Tasula
Jun 21, 2013 Tasula rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this 3rd in the series of Marla Mason, Chief Sorcerer of Felport, novels. In this one, Death comes to Felport and tries to take over. Lots of excitement. Marla is my kind of girl- pragmatic, prone to violence as the answer to almost everything, but fiercely protective of her city and friends. Highly recommended as a great series for UF fans.
Tammy
Mar 29, 2014 Tammy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Marla in a fight with Walking Death for her city? That's an awesome idea for a book. I really enjoyed the way the book played out. Then at the end of the book having her brother come in? That's an awesome set up for the next book and an end to this book. I can't wait to see what the next book will bring. What perils is Marla going to get into now?
Jess
Dec 08, 2008 Jess rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Anita Blake & urban fantasy in general
Recommended to Jess by: book club
I LOVE MARLA MASON!!!!!!!!!!!

I love all the magic. It's well thought out. Plot never sags, characters are deep and funny, a sense of place is well-established. I also like that there aren't really love arcs to the story. I am so sick of there ALWAYS being a love interest. It's refreshing to just have a nice action story with some magic in it.
Shaima
Jan 12, 2014 Shaima rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Marla Mason series has hit its stride. This one is made awesome by the fact that even the bad guys think zombie John Wilkes Booth is a racist ass.
Daniel
Mar 01, 2009 Daniel rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been enjoying the Marla Mason series, and while I think the first book in the series had some rough edges, this one is very polished. They're not deep novels, but a fun way to while away a weekend afternoon. I worry that future books may get a little formulaic, but for now this series is going on my guaranteed fun list.
Liz!
This was a lot funnier than the previous books, and the plot was very entertaining. The end felt a bit like a cop out to me, but it went well with the rest of the story, so I can flow with it. It was a little bait-and-switchy, but not nearly as bad as it could have been.

And the cloak? Creepy.
  • Support Your Local Wizard (Young Wizards, #1-3)
  • Spiral Hunt (Evie Scelan, #1)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • Bad to the Bone (WVMP Radio, #2)
  • Unfallen Dead (Connor Grey, #3)
  • Digger, Volume Four
  • Sparks (Anya Kalinczyk, #2)
  • Yu+Me: dream Volume 1
  • Rogue Oracle (Oracle, #2)
  • Shotgun Sorceress (Jessie Shimmer, #2)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
  • ReVamped (Void City, #2)
  • Ghosts & Echoes (Shadows Inquiries #2)
  • Ghost Ocean
  • Whiskey and Water (Promethean Age, #2)
  • Underground (Greywalker, #3)
  • Random Magic
  • Gunnerkrigg Court Vol. 5: Refine (Gunnerkrigg Court #5)
T.A. Pratt is the pseudonym of Tim Pratt, under which he penned the Marla Mason books.

I've crowdfunded seven projects (four through Kickstarter) successfully in the past few years, and I don't foresee any problems with this one, either. I write novels for a living, and this is a book I'm excited to do. It's always possible there will be bumps and delays on the production process, or an unforeseen
More about T.A. Pratt...

Marla Mason (9 books)
  • Blood Engines (Marla Mason, #1)
  • Poison Sleep (Marla Mason, #2)
  • Spell Games (Marla Mason, #4)
  • Broken Mirrors (Marla Mason, #5)
  • Grim Tides (Marla Mason, #6)
  • Bride of Death (Marla Mason, #7)
  • Lady of Misrule (Marla Mason, #8)
  • Queen of Nothing (Marla Mason, #9)