Start by marking “Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson Mystery, #3)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Deep I Cry (Rev. Clare Fergusson Mystery, #3)

Out of the Deep I Cry (The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries #3)

4.14  ·  Rating Details ·  4,420 Ratings  ·  387 Reviews
"On April 1, 1930, Jonathan Ketchem's wife, Jane, walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. No one ever saw Jonathan Ketchem again." "But the Ketchems were far from forgotten. Over time, the family died off - except for Jane Ketchem herself (whom everyon ...more
Published (first published April 26th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Deep I Cry, please sign up.

Ellen Yes, it is excellent! I loved all the twists and turns! It keeps you in suspense, and I like the idea of the female reverend who is also a super…moreYes, it is excellent! I loved all the twists and turns! It keeps you in suspense, and I like the idea of the female reverend who is also a super sleuth!(less)

Hallie
Mar 03, 2014 Hallie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4.5, maybe?

The number of murders, life-threatening situations into which Clare &/or Russ fall, and general wrong-doing continues, in all honesty, fairly ridiculous, but I loved the way the history of Miller's Kill and its families was incorporated into this book. None of the books in the series I've read so far is exactly cozy, despite the small-town setting, but this is even bleaker than the other two. I think the mystery was better too, or at least it seemed as if once I'd got the reveal,
Abby
Aug 18, 2009 Abby rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, mystery
She's done it again! Another stellar mystery from Julia Spencer-Fleming. This one I *almost* had figured out, but she got me in the end.

What I'm struggling to understand is how the relationship of the main characters in JSF's books are doing all the things that in a more "traditional" romance would be my DO NOT CROSS line and would usually lead me to the "DO NOT BUY" category. Having characters engage in an affair (of the heart or physically) which cases one or both characters to cheat on their
Katie
Oct 24, 2013 Katie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Five stars for the ending, which took my heart out and RIPPED IT TO PIECES.

(view spoiler)
Sheila
Mar 01, 2013 Sheila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was the best in the series so far. I have been wondering when we would finally get to meet Linda and of course was hoping that I would instantly hate her, but I didn't. Lots of tension between Clair and Russ. They are definitely playing with fire in more than one sense.

I loved the historical aspect of this story. In todays world we take for granted our access to health care and medicines so it was really interesting to see how people had to deal with disease back in the "good old
Karen Syed
Mar 10, 2008 Karen Syed rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: YOU!
Shelves: favorites
[Book: OUT OF THE DEEP I CRY], and cry I did. I started this book over a month ago after getting an autographed copy (and a hug) from Julia at the South Carolina Book Festival. I was ill at the time and became even more ill in the weeks that followed. I kept plugging along, wanting to read more and more, but alas, my cardiac specialist said "Into the hospital with you!" And in I went. Well, you'd think lying in a hospital bed would give me plenty of time to read. Too bad I could not stay awake. ...more
Sharon
Jan 29, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third of Julia Spencer-Fleming's novels that I have read, and she is bidding to become a new favorite author. In this particular outing, protagonists Rev. Claire Fergusson and police chief Russ Van Alstyne become entangled in a parallel investigation -- two missing men, one who disappeared in the 1930s and one who disappears in the here-and-now. All of the action starts because the church roof is leaking, and one of the vestry members is willing to surrender her family trust to have ...more
Kathy
The Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series continues to thrill me with its intriguing plots and fascinating characters. Julia Spencer-Fleming never fails to ensconce the reader into the world of Millers Kill through her masterful description and perfectly timed action sequences. This addition to the series must reach back to the 1920s and prohibition to unravel the mystery of a missing doctor. It seems that there was another missing man, gone missing in 1930, who plays a prominent role in the s ...more
Jacob Proffitt
Apr 10, 2014 Jacob Proffitt rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
The time hopping in this one took some getting used to. I found it off-putting at first, mainly because the main character involved was kind of depressing—with good cause as she stood at the center of the story and it's a mystery and this is Julia Spencer-Fleming we're talking about here, so it's gonna be emotionally charged. And bleak. To start.

Indeed, gaining sympathy for Jane Ketchum (despite her own evaluation of herself) highlights the author's true genius for getting into her characters an
Ivonne Rovira
Dec 26, 2014 Ivonne Rovira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Dr. Allen Rouse, the irascible director of the free clinic in the the town of Millers Kill in Upstate New York vanishes one night. The disappearance echoes another one that occurred in 1930 when another man, Jonathan Ketcham, drove out into the night, never to be seen again.

Reverend Clare Fergusson, Army helicopter pilot turned Episcopal priest, and Sheriff Russ Van Alstyne join forces again to determine what happened to both men and to wonder whether the two disappearances might be linked desp
Cara
Aug 08, 2016 Cara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one just finished this series off for me. Clare continues to get overly involved in everything that doesn't have to do with her actual job (frankly, it's a wonder that she has time to actually conduct services and attend to her other clerical duties). Russ continues to let her push her way into stuff that doesn't concern her. The mystery was okay--the story told in flashbacks was moving and the best part.
But the Clare/Russ developments finished this for me. I don't consider myself a rigid m
Mimi Smith
Jul 07, 2013 Mimi Smith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
4 stars

Not really a review here. Just had to say Linda FINALLY appeared here. I was starting to suspect she was a ghost. Or a goblin.

Love the mysteries, Russ, Clare (even though she has really reckless, dare I say stupid, moments). Am really curious about the personal dilemmas.
Joyce Lagow
Apr 20, 2010 Joyce Lagow rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
3rd in the Reverend Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series.[return][return]A beautifully constructed book. The story starts off with a flashback to 1970, when a young Russ Van Alstyne, about to enter the Army to go to Vietnam, rescues an old woman, Jane Ketchem, from attempted suicide by drowning. Fast forward to the Now , where Clare is faced with an extremely serious, expensive roof repair on the church and no apparent way to raise money before the roof literally falls in.[return][return]The ...more
Kathleen
Nov 17, 2012 Kathleen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Deep I Cry
Two men disappeared - one in the present day, and one in 1930. As the Rev. Clare Fergusson and Chief of Police Russ Alstyne search for the man who disappeared after meeting a young woman in a cemetery, they unearth connections to the disappearance that occurred eighty years ago.
The Ketchem Free Clinic, named after the man who disappeared in 1930, is about to lose some of its funding, and Clare feels responsible. The man's daughter, Lacey Marshall, has decided to break the t
Nancy
Sep 16, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nicely done. Interesting theme to the plot. I love reading a series from the beginning, in order, and seeing how the characters and their lives evolve. Waiting anxiously to read the next one.

On April 1, 1930, Jonathan Ketchem's wife Jane walked from her house to the police department to ask for help in finding her husband. The men, worn out from a night of chasing bootleggers, did what they could. But no one ever saw Jonathan Ketchem again...

Now decades later, someone else is missing in Miller's
Ann
Apr 18, 2009 Ann rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Jen
May 17, 2008 Jen rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brain_candy, audio
I love these so much. I think I'm changing my non-fiction book club to a series fiction book club because I DESPERATELY need to talk to someone about the end of the book.

Let me quote a few passages and see if I can't get you hooked as well. This series is about a former army pilot turned female minister who's falling in love with a small town police chief. A MARRIED police chief. They solve a bunch of crimes together.

"You can wait in the office, back here. I'll be with you as soon as I can."
"It'
Melissa McShane
Mar 31, 2014 Melissa McShane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own, mystery
This seemed more substantial than the first two books, which surprised me considering that it hops around in time quite a bit. I had trouble getting used to the time shifts, but by the end I was sold on the effect and felt so satisfied with the way the central mystery wrapped up. Two mysteries entwined kept me interested, and of course I have tremendous feelings about Clare and Russ's relationship (view spoiler) ...more
Beth
Mar 03, 2012 Beth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The third in a series of mysteries set in a small upstate NY town featuring a police chief and a priest as the heros solving the mysteries. In this one there is no current murder but there is a current mystery that hooks into a very old mystery. The story goes back and forth between the current day and the far past. By solving the past mystery they solve the current day mystery.

As usual the romantic tension between the two heros makes for a more realistic story, as time goes on you start to wond
Carol
Nov 21, 2013 Carol rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, series
The Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series,is yet another I promised myself I'd read when I retired. I had read the first two,liked the light mysteries and adored the angst exhibited by the two main characters. She, a former army chopper pilot, now an Episcopal priest and he, a married small-town chief of police steam up the pages in the cold winters in Millers Kill, NY.

In parallel stories,Van Alstyne and Fergusson seek missing persons, Jonathan Ketchem, a cold case from the 30's, the other the
Linda
OUT OF THE DEEP I CRY has the past taking center stage; something that happened on April 1, 1930. And that something wants closure in present-day Millers Kill.

Welcome police chief Russ Van Alstyne and Rev. Clare. Their town seems to have its fair share of deaths. This time Prohibition surfaces and causes doubts between the two about the reason this day was so important, both then and now.

It also takes the tiny spark of attraction that began in the previous book and has it magnify. I normally d
Judy
Nov 29, 2016 Judy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again the Rev. Claire gets involved in a crime that throws she and police chief Russ together. There are several mysteries that are connected, one dating back in time. While Claire is initially bringing ministry to those in her church, she also can't resist trying to solve the mysteries. Both Claire and Russ are faced with the attraction they have for one another, but Claire is adamant that they not even see each other.
Sonia Cristina
Feb 09, 2016 Sonia Cristina rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: english-books, 2016
3.5 estrelas
Não teve um caso policial tão bom como os 2 livros anteriores, foi mais o desaparecimento de 2 homens, um na década de 1930 e outro na atualidade, tudo muito misterioso mas não tão aliciante.

A relação, ou o quer que se possa chamar aquilo, de Russ e Clare é que prendeu mais a atenção pois a cada livro eles estão mais perto de admitir o que sentem e... oh, ele continua casado...
Pat
Julia Spencer-Fleming has arrived...moving between the past and the present she weaves a spell-binding tale of great pathos which appears to have little relevance to the present. And just when you think you have understood the direction of the plot and the final reveal, she delivers one last secret...

Elizabeth
Nov 24, 2013 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Much better mystery...best of the series so far.
Tracy
Oct 13, 2016 Tracy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was great to listen to. Both the past and present stories were compelling and had a few unexpected twists. Looking forward to the next in the series.
Peg
Feb 02, 2011 Peg rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The best in the series thus far. Clare has stop twisting her hair. So into it I forgot to rate/review/ just went on to the next book.
Lynn
May 24, 2011 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another excellent story from the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne franchise. The sexual tension is riveting; the mysteries so well-written! Dosnloading book 4 right now. :)
Ann
Jun 06, 2015 Ann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful. Just wonderful.
Georgia
Feb 24, 2017 Georgia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
Definitely the best one of the series so far. A good audiobook listen (not the best southern accent I've heard, but whatever.) This third installment sees things get a little more steamy with the reverend and the police chief, presenting some good, if squirm-worthy tension. I was also more interested in the mystery this time around. It was more heartfelt and heartbreaking plus showed the author did some extra research.
Lynn
Nov 21, 2016 Lynn rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the third book in the Clare Fergusson/Russ Van Alstyne series. This book is very well written and plotted. I thought the author portrayed very well the day to day life of the main characters. There was a mystery from the past as well as a current mystery. The series is strong in character development. If you like well plotted mysteries that are character driven, you should enjoy this series . I have the next book at home to read.
The Narthex: Discussion 1 5 Apr 11, 2012 12:13AM
  • And Justice There Is None (Duncan Kincaid & Gemma James, #8)
  • Anne Perry's Silent Nights: A Christmas Beginning / A Christmas Grace (Christmas Stories, #5-6)
  • Murder In the North End (Nell Sweeney Mysteries, #5)
  • Southern Discomfort (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #2)
  • More Bitter than Death (An Emma Fielding Mystery #5)
  • Extracurricular Activities (A Murder 101 Mystery, #2)
  • Amelia Peabody Omnibus (Amelia Peabody, #1-4)
  • Where Serpents Sleep (Sebastian St. Cyr, #4)
  • The Cruelest Month (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #3)
Wednesday, September 7

Work-In-Progress Wednesday at my Reader Space. We're up to the fifth part of the second chapter of my eighth book, which has some numerological meaning, I'm sure. http://bit.ly/p2QwJa
More about Julia Spencer-Fleming...

The Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries (9 books)
  • In the Bleak Midwinter (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #1)
  • A Fountain Filled with Blood (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #2)
  • To Darkness and to Death (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #4)
  • All Mortal Flesh (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #5)
  • I Shall Not Want (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #6)
  • One Was a Soldier (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #7)
  • Through the Evil Days (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #8)
  • Hid from Our Eyes (Rev. Clare Fergusson & Russ Van Alstyne Mysteries, #9)

“So I can be the girl from Titanic who stays high and dry while you, the guy, vanish beneath the icy waves? I don’t think so.” 2 likes
“I'm not. Certain. About lots of things. I just know where I belong.” 0 likes