The Inimitable Jeeves

The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves #2)

4.26 of 5 stars 4.26  ·  rating details  ·  9,448 ratings  ·  479 reviews
Valet Jeeves saves his 1915 London gentleman Bertie Wooster from Aunt Agatha's matchmaking, such as with Honoria Glossop. Bertie's pal Bingo Little falls for seven girls in succession, finally romantic novelist Rosie M. Banks. The Great Sermon Handicap teaches a lesson.
Published April 2010 by Folio Society (first published 1923)

To ask other readers questions about The Inimitable Jeeves, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Inimitable Jeeves

Algernon

"This is the eel's eyebrows" exclaims Bingo at one moment, and I would apply the comment to this second collection of stories featuring laid-back boulevardier Bertie Wooster and his brainy valet Jeeves. I found it better structured and an improvement over the debut in My Man Jeeves . Firstly, there are 11 short stories instead of four, and secondly, these stories are sequential, following a common plotline involving the romantic entanglements of Bingo Little, an old school friend of Bertie....more
Allie
I read this book, along with the rest of the series, aloud to my siblings. In my opinion, the only way to really read P.G. Wodehouse is to read him aloud. The title of this one gave me trouble--I kept calling it "The Inevitable Jeeves". Still, "inevitable" is a good word to describe the character. Inevitably, he always swoops in to rescue everyone--pulls the scheme together, turns away wrath with a few soft (and generally false) answers, and sees to it that he and his employer return to the old...more
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 12, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Tata J
Shelves: humour
Hilarious!

If you are bored with all those melodramatic novels like Anita Diamant's The Red Tent or you are starting to get too old for children's and YA books, go for P. G. Wodehouse books. You will feel lighter and refreshed.

This is my 4th audiobook and cruising through the traffic in Manila can be made more bearable if you listen to the funny short stories about pre-war aristocratic British people. This is a story, or short stories, about the wealthy but scatterbrained Bertie Wooster (pronounc...more
Cal
12PP2
'Bingo told me all this in a husky voice over an egg beaten up in sherry.'

32PP3
'Never before had I encountered a curate so genuinely all to the mustard. Little as he might look like one of the lads of the village, he certainly appeared to be the real tabasco, and I wished he had shown me this side of his character before.'

66PPL
'Have some lemon-squash,' I said. The conversation seemed to be getting rather difficult.
'Thank you. Half a glassful, if I may.' The hell-brew appeared to buck him up...more
An Odd1
Red cummerbund, purple socks, bon vivant Bertie relinquishes a beloved garish accoutrement when valet Jeeves exercises his large brain to save Drone club members, such as master B, and pal Bingo Little, from trouble, especially inappropriate romantic attachments. This tiny volume is typical P.G., fun, frivoulous, 20-30s Brit aristocrat escapades. Cotton candy for the brain. Yum.

The Wooster bachelor would prefer to "do the strong, manly thing by lying low in my flat and telling Jeeves to inform...more
Daniel
Oct 12, 2008 Daniel rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Existing Fans of P.G. Wodehouse
Shelves: 2007
One of the earlier Jeeves and Wooster books, "The Inimitable Jeeves" is a collection of interconnected short stories that don't completely stand on their own individually, but also don't form one long, intricate plot like "The Code of the Woosters" -- perhaps the best Jeeves and Wooster novel -- does so well. Nevertheless, it is a fun read, especially for someone who's already a Wodehouse fan. This just wouldn't be the place to start for a new Wodehouse reader, as he may fail to see why Wodehous...more
Eric_W
Wodehouse is truly a classic, and if you ever need a lift and want something funny to read, you cannot fail by choosing any Jeeves novel. Jeeves is Bertie’s butler. Bertie is the stereotypical British upper crust, living on inherited money, avoiding work at all costs, who thinks he’s brilliant, but really is dumber than a post, and who needs Jeeves to get him out of all sorts of bizarre scrapes. The common thread in this series of vignettes is Bertie’s friend Bingo, who manages to fall in love w...more
Mike
Mar 13, 2010 Mike rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
P. G. Wodehouse: author, genius.

Yup, I wrote genius. The man must have been one because how else to explain the fact that a book about a rather inbred, gay and carefree, intellectual midget and his gentelman's private gentleman in early 20th century, class-divided, England (and for a bit New York) is so funny and engaging?

Yes, it's "light fiction". Yes, it centers around a character, Bertie Wooster, whose major issues are which old school chum has made awkward demands on him, or which girl has m...more
Matthew Hunter
P.G. Wodehouse was a genius. And his stated admirers prove the point! Michael Dirda of the Washington Post loves him, and notes that George Orwell, Rudyard Kipling, A.E. Housman, M.R. James and Arthur Conan Doyle all thought Wodehouse was the bee's knees. W.H. Auden compared Wodehouse to Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. Eudora Welty stocked his works by her bedside, and Evelyn Waugh considered Wodehouse a "revered master." High praise indeed!

Wodehouse's Jeeves is a cultural icon. I can't count the numbe...more
Russell Bittner
I’ve said it before (in my 3/21/14 review of My Man Jeeves, to be specific), and I’ll say it again: the prose of P. G. Wodehouse is delísh … the bee’s knees … or if “hell-brew” (p. 67) is your choice for metaphor, good to the last drop! How he does it, how he nails it with every word and never grows stale or hackneyed remains a complete mystery to me. I can only imagine what it must’ve cost him to remain so piquantly original in his wit—not just line after line, but book after book.

In the vernac...more
Ensiform
In a series of loosely connected, but independent, chapters, Bertie’s friend Bingo Little finds and loses girl after girl, until suddenly marrying celebrated novelist Rosie M. Banks. Oh, and in a quite amusing piece, Jeeves unmasks a pair of con artists who have stolen Aunt Agatha’s pearls.

In some ways, this early Bertie & Jeeves work is primitive; I had the strangest sense of reading a sort of Cliff’s Notes or concentrated versions, all the essential bits crammed in with rapid-fire deus ex...more
Trevor
Parts of this were laugh out loud funny – and so laugh out load I did. The major theme of the book is around the dangers of gambling if you are gambling on something that Jeeves isn’t prepared to put his money on. Character after character is put into difficulties due to wagering a bit too much on ‘sure things’.

But this read much more like a series of short stories connected by a common theme, than a novel. All the same, that is really a minor complaint. The characters are so carefully and lovin...more
Elisha Condie
Another Wodehouse. If you're ever feeling tired, or sad, or grumpy, Wodehouse is almost certainly the cure. I just re-read this and although it's not as good as "Code of the Woosters" I still liked it a lot.

All of the Jeeves books follow Jeeves and Bertie Wooster around as Bertie stumbles into trouble, or his friends do, and Jeeves has to get them out of it. I love all of Bertie's friends nicknames- Dogface, Tuppy, Chuffy - they all kill me and their troubles are things like accidentally becomi...more
rachel
The episodic nature of this book suits the slapstick humor of Jeeves and Wooster, I think, better than the straight story of The Code of the Woosters. (So begins the most boring review of a Wodehouse novel ever, you think.) Anyway, I enjoyed the various Rosie M. Banks schemes, Bingo Little falling in love with 53 women, and the strong presence of Jeeves in this one.

I need to come to terms with the fact that I am the sort of person who can't "really like" a light humor novel. I'd love to be the...more
Melissa Coyle
Refreshing and lighthearted romp with the endearing Bertie Wooster and his wise valet, Jeeves guiding him out of trouble time and time again. I love these British, quirky characters and am looking forward to my next installment.
Douglas Wilson
They are all good, of course, but this one is top tier. It would be worthwhile to read Wodehouse just for the metaphors alone, and this one is rich with them. In the film Collision, Christopher quotes a line from this book -- "he looked like a sheep with a secret sorrow."
Mike
With short stories patched together as a book, the sameness of the Jeeves plots becomes glaringly obvious--something that's easier to ignore in the standard novels. Still, the writing and characters are as charming as always. 3.5 stars.
Rob
I read both this and Very Good, Jeeves in the same omnibus collection, and so am combining my reviews of the two, since both are collections of short stories. Between the two, one gets a rather good cross section of young Bertram and his various relatives and friends, enough, I think, to know whether you’d like more or are relieved to have made this acquaintance and wish to move on.

Of them all, two stand out in these collections: the forever love-struck trencherman Bingo Little, and Bertie’s own...more
Perry Whitford
Feb 08, 2014 Perry Whitford rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of comic language and inspired silliness
Across these eighteen loosely related stories, Bertie Wooster first won a place in my heart with his idiotic escapades and innocent narratives, whilst the steely Jeeves looks on impassive, never failing to "give satisfaction", regardless of aunts and other obstacles.
In fact, having read most the novels too since discovering this gold mine of a collection, I actually prefer the better short stories because you get a lot more Jeeves for your money, but here you get a canny marriage of the longer...more
theduckthief
"I flung open the door. I got a momentary flash of about a hundred and fifteen cats of all sizes and colours scrapping in the middle of the room, and then they all shot past me with a rush and out of the front door; and all that was left of the mob scene was the head of a whacking big fish, lying on the carpet and staring up at me in a rather austere sort of way, as if it wanted a written explanation and apology."

Bertram Wilberforce Wooster, known as "Bertie" to his friends, belongs to the upper...more
Ian Wood
Oct 12, 2007 Ian Wood rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone, no everyone
Shelves: p-g-wodehouse
Almost the first Jeeves and Wooster novel. Like ‘The Indiscretions of Archie’ before it rather than be a novel the book is basically a series of short stories with a constant theme, that’s not intended as a criticism as Wodehouse is the master of the short form and the stories are all fantastic. Although the book is less satisfying than the subsequent Jeeves novels, the thread running through the episodes make it better than a simple collection of stories.

This book introduces us to Bingo Little...more
Tanvi
As this was my first introduction to Wodehouse and the Jeeves books, the style took a while to get used to. At first I got a little sick of the "Bingo falls in love and Wooster or Jeeves has to get him out" scenario. It took a second read for me to see how all the stories tied in together and followed on from each other, and the wrapping up of the story only came in the final chapter.

I'm glad I didn't give up, though, because on a reread I caught a lot of nuances I'd missed before. The scenarios...more
Mike (the Paladin)
I'm somewhat astounded myself at the number of volumes of, not only Wodehouse but of Bertie and Jeeves stories I've read, listened to and in some cases placed on my own shelves. I came across Wodehouse some years ago when my kids were still in school. I was laid up the first time I took a Wodehouse book from the library and these stories turned out to be ones that my wife and I both found sidesplittingly hilarious.

Later I came a cross a couple of stories where some language that today would be c...more
Cindy Barnett
Light mystery & humor - how often can that happen & keep one interested!?! Frederick Davidson reads with a touch of sarcasm which is, alternately, effectual & irritating in this version.
Mark
“To dive into a Wodehouse novel is to swim in some of the most elegantly turned phrases in the English language.”—Ben Schott.

The Inimitable Jeeves, however, is not a novel, but a collection of short stories based on the characters from a long line of Jeeves novels, following the adventures of a not so clever English gentleman, Bertie Wooster, and his far more clever "gentleman’s gentleman," Jeeves. Jeeves is forever getting Bertie out of one jam after another, all in a very humorous way. This i...more
Nathan
This is my second Wodehouse book, but my first foray into the world of Jeeves and Wooster, and I have to say ... I'm a bit disappointed.

My first Wodehouse was Leave it to Psmith, and I'm trying to figure out why I loved that and not The Inimitable Jeeves. Perhaps it's because The Inimitable Jeeves is a short story collection. I like short stories, but after one story after another of Bingo Little falling in love, he and Bertie getting into a scrape, and Jeeves helping them out of it, it all got...more
Christian Schwoerke
What a delightful diversion, thoroughly frothy and frivolous. What one admires in Wodehouse is his ability to make this sort of thing appear so casual, just something he tossed off before his afternoon tea. Of course the second aspect of Wodehouse’s genius is the creation of fun-house mirror version of Quixote and Sancho Panza. The man of wisdom is not the master, but is instead the manservant Jeeves, while the master is the buffoonish gadabout Bertie Wooster.

Wodehouse has said of his writing th...more
Lisa
Arushi Kapoor
Jeeves has his way of cracking you up! Darn amusing!
Abigail Hartman
Jolly good stuff, this! Lighthearted and witty and not taking itself very seriously. Wodehouse's way with words is just hilarious, as are all the predicaments Bertie gets himself into (or that others get him into) and the ways in which Jeeves delicately extracts him from them. It would definitely be possible to overdose - two in a row would be an overdose, I think - but they are excellent as back-up for a rainy, moody day.
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Rumpole of the Bailey
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • The Worshipful Lucia
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells
  • Decline and Fall
  • Three Men in a Boat and Three Men on the Bummel
  • Diary of a Provincial Lady (Prion Humour Classics)
  • The Monarchy: A Critique of Britain's Favourite Fetish (Counterblasts #10)
  • The Complete Saki
  • The Incredulity of Father Brown (Father Brown, #3)
  • Flashman on the March (The Flashman Papers, #12)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 30 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...
My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1) Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3) The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7) Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6) Thank You, Jeeves (Bertie Wooster & Jeeves)

“We Woosters do not lightly forget. At least, we do - some things - appointments, and people's birthdays, and letters to post, and all that - but not an absolutely bally insult like the above.” 45 likes
“Warm-hearted! I should think he has to wear asbestos vests!” 43 likes