Start by marking “The Inimitable Jeeves” as Want to Read:
The Inimitable Jeeves

The Inimitable Jeeves (Jeeves #2)

4.26  ·  Rating Details  ·  12,601 Ratings  ·  684 Reviews
Bertie and Jeeves do their best to help, and occasionally hinder, love-struck Bingo Little as he falls head over heels and back again. Honoria Glossop, Mabel the waitress, and gold-toothed revolutionary Charlotte Corday Rowbotham are just a few of the women to cast their spells over Bingo. Meanwhile Bertie must keep the quick-tempered, aspiring actor Bassington-Bassington ...more
Published April 2010 by Folio Society (first published 1923)

Algernon
Jul 03, 2013 Algernon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013

"This is the eel's eyebrows" exclaims Bingo at one moment, and I would apply the comment to this second collection of stories featuring laid-back boulevardier Bertie Wooster and his brainy valet Jeeves. I found it better structured and an improvement over the debut in My Man Jeeves . Firstly, there are 11 short stories instead of four, and secondly, these stories are sequential, following a common plotline involving the romantic entanglements of Bingo Little, an old school friend of Bertie.
Jason Koivu
An early (1920s) and solid collection of Wooster & Jeeves from PG Wodehouse, the master of British light farce.

The short stories herein include "Jeeves in the Springtime", "Aunt Agatha Takes the Count", "Scoring Off Jeeves", "Sir Roderick Comes to Lunch", "Jeeves and the Chump Cyril", "Comrade Bingo", "The Great Sermon Handicap", "The Purity of the Turf", "The Metropolitan Touch", "The Delayed Exit of Claude and Eustace", and "Bingo and the Little Woman".

Most are about love and most involve
Helle
Apr 25, 2015 Helle rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, english-lit
P.G. Wodehouse was a comic genius. I listened to this second installment of the Jeeves & Wooster books while poking around in my garden, and I dare say it must have been a bit of spectacle if any of my neighbors saw or heard me as I stopped in my tracks and giggled or guffawed, weeds in hand.

This was even better than the first book in the series, although I’m beginning to see that the formula is pretty much the same throughout: Bertie Wooster, the idle, naïve, wealthy young man always finds
Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 15, 2015 Mike (the Paladin) rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: wodehouse
I'm somewhat astounded myself at the number of volumes of, not only Wodehouse but of Bertie and Jeeves stories I've read, listened to and in some cases placed on my own shelves. I came across Wodehouse some years ago when my kids were still in school. I was laid up the first time I took a Wodehouse book from the library and these stories turned out to be ones that my wife and I both found sidesplittingly hilarious.

Later I came across a couple of stories where some language that today would be co
Pramod Nair
Jul 01, 2015 Pramod Nair rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition

Absolutely hilarious!

The adventures of Bertie Wooster and Jeeves are narrated by Wodehouse with his natural flair and brilliantly fun-filled manner. P.G. Wodehouse shows off his comic genius in this timeless funny classic.

If you are feeling down then i would recommend a dose of Wodehouse, which will refr
Jan 03, 2016 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stolen pearls, a village school fete, shady characters, a forceful Aunt Agatha, romantic escapades and schemes which flounder and flop.

Meanwhile, Jeeves serenely steps in, attaining an aloof and unsympathetic air, and rescues Wooster from many a hilarious scrape.

A novel full of sparkling dialogue and wit. I giggled my way through the pages and annoyed my family with quotes from the book and sudden bursts of laughter.

Jeeves and his approved "pick-me-up" recipe worked like a dream!
Allie
Apr 09, 2012 Allie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book, along with the rest of the series, aloud to my siblings. In my opinion, the only way to really read P.G. Wodehouse is to read him aloud. The title of this one gave me trouble--I kept calling it "The Inevitable Jeeves". Still, "inevitable" is a good word to describe the character. Inevitably, he always swoops in to rescue everyone--pulls the scheme together, turns away wrath with a few soft (and generally false) answers, and sees to it that he and his employer return to the old ...more
K.D. Absolutely
Nov 12, 2010 K.D. Absolutely rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to K.D. by: Tata J
Shelves: humour
Hilarious!

If you are bored with all those melodramatic novels like Anita Diamant's The Red Tent or you are starting to get too old for children's and YA books, go for P. G. Wodehouse books. You will feel lighter and refreshed.

This is my 4th audiobook and cruising through the traffic in Manila can be made more bearable if you listen to the funny short stories about pre-war aristocratic British people. This is a story, or short stories, about the wealthy but scatterbrained Bertie Wooster (pronounc
Cal
12PP2
'Bingo told me all this in a husky voice over an egg beaten up in sherry.'

32PP3
'Never before had I encountered a curate so genuinely all to the mustard. Little as he might look like one of the lads of the village, he certainly appeared to be the real tabasco, and I wished he had shown me this side of his character before.'

66PPL
'Have some lemon-squash,' I said. The conversation seemed to be getting rather difficult.
'Thank you. Half a glassful, if I may.' The hell-brew appeared to buck him up
Girish
Sep 15, 2015 Girish rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Inimitable Jeeves is a fun light read of 18 short stories with a common thread.Our heroes are the simple and good at heart Bertie Wooster and his intelligent and supremely marvelous valet Jeeves.

The stories concern Bingo's amours, for which, as a dutiful friend, Bertie lands himself in troubles at every turn. Some of them are funny and some you feel sorry for Bertie. But they come out alright all thanks to Jeeves.

The ingenious schemes of Steggles including betting on sermons on length, child
An Odd1
Dec 24, 2013 An Odd1 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fun, fan
Red cummerbund, purple socks, bon vivant Bertie relinquishes a beloved garish accoutrement when valet Jeeves exercises his large brain to save Drone club members, such as master B, and pal Bingo Little, from trouble, especially inappropriate romantic attachments. This tiny volume is typical P.G., fun, frivoulous, 20-30s Brit aristocrat escapades. Cotton candy for the brain. Yum.

The Wooster bachelor would prefer to "do the strong, manly thing by lying low in my flat and telling Jeeves to inform
Trevor
May 03, 2008 Trevor rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: literature, humour
Parts of this were laugh out loud funny – and so laugh out load I did. The major theme of the book is around the dangers of gambling if you are gambling on something that Jeeves isn’t prepared to put his money on. Character after character is put into difficulties due to wagering a bit too much on ‘sure things’.

But this read much more like a series of short stories connected by a common theme, than a novel. All the same, that is really a minor complaint. The characters are so carefully and lovin
Daniel
Oct 12, 2008 Daniel rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Existing Fans of P.G. Wodehouse
Shelves: 2007
One of the earlier Jeeves and Wooster books, "The Inimitable Jeeves" is a collection of interconnected short stories that don't completely stand on their own individually, but also don't form one long, intricate plot like "The Code of the Woosters" -- perhaps the best Jeeves and Wooster novel -- does so well. Nevertheless, it is a fun read, especially for someone who's already a Wodehouse fan. This just wouldn't be the place to start for a new Wodehouse reader, as he may fail to see why Wodehous ...more
Eric_W
Jan 04, 2009 Eric_W rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor
Wodehouse is truly a classic, and if you ever need a lift and want something funny to read, you cannot fail by choosing any Jeeves novel. Jeeves is Bertie’s butler. Bertie is the stereotypical British upper crust, living on inherited money, avoiding work at all costs, who thinks he’s brilliant, but really is dumber than a post, and who needs Jeeves to get him out of all sorts of bizarre scrapes. The common thread in this series of vignettes is Bertie’s friend Bingo, who manages to fall in love w ...more
Antonomasia
[3.5] Ridiculously, this is the first Jeeves & Wooster book I've read. Now I'm looking forward to the others.

At some point in my early teens, convinced I'd love the series, I read a few pages of one of the novels in the library. But I was bored! And perplexed! Jeeves and Wooster had sounded just like the sort of thing I'd really enjoy: but on the page, so dull. What were people on about?
Though I hadn't given up entirely. A couple of years later I noticed a copy of Wodehouse's Service With a
Vimal Thiagarajan
Another veritable treatise on literary humour.Got more evidence as to why Salman Rushdie,Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchet and many others look up to Wodehouse as an absolute master of English prose.
Holmlock
Oct 10, 2015 Holmlock rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another enjoyable Jeeves collection. Bertie finds new ways to gamble, new ways to alienate people, and new reasons to ask Jeeves for help. This is a collection of short stories loosely tied together by Bertie's friend Bingo Little, a man who habitually falls in love at the drop of a hat. The book is packed full of humorous exchanges and scenarios. If you're in the mood for something funny, definitely check out 'The Inimitable Jeeves'. Wodehouse never fails to award his audience with a good laugh ...more
Mike
Mar 13, 2010 Mike rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone
P. G. Wodehouse: author, genius.

Yup, I wrote genius. The man must have been one because how else to explain the fact that a book about a rather inbred, gay and carefree, intellectual midget and his gentelman's private gentleman in early 20th century, class-divided, England (and for a bit New York) is so funny and engaging?

Yes, it's "light fiction". Yes, it centers around a character, Bertie Wooster, whose major issues are which old school chum has made awkward demands on him, or which girl has m
Matthew Hunter
P.G. Wodehouse was a genius. And his stated admirers prove the point! Michael Dirda of the Washington Post loves him, and notes that George Orwell, Rudyard Kipling, A.E. Housman, M.R. James and Arthur Conan Doyle all thought Wodehouse was the bee's knees. W.H. Auden compared Wodehouse to Tolstoy and Dostoyevsky. Eudora Welty stocked his works by her bedside, and Evelyn Waugh considered Wodehouse a "revered master." High praise indeed!

Wodehouse's Jeeves is a cultural icon. I can't count the numbe
Russell Bittner
Apr 18, 2014 Russell Bittner rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I’ve said it before (in my 3/21/14 review of My Man Jeeves, to be specific), and I’ll say it again: the prose of P. G. Wodehouse is delísh … the bee’s knees … or if “hell-brew” (p. 67) is your choice for metaphor, good to the last drop! How he does it, how he nails it with every word and never grows stale or hackneyed remains a complete mystery to me. I can only imagine what it must’ve cost him to remain so piquantly original in his wit—not just line after line, but book after book.

In the vernac
Mom
Feb 21, 2016 Mom rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Mom by: Wendy
I know this book is a classic and has a wide fan base, but I did not care for it. The first half of the book was tolerable and I kind of enjoyed it. After Chapter 13, I lost my patience with it, it blathers on about betting schemes. And the finale ends with the main character being revealed as a crazy person and ends with no resolution. It will be a while before I brave reading another Wodehouse book.
Douglas Wilson
Nov 26, 2009 Douglas Wilson rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
They are all good, of course, but this one is top tier. It would be worthwhile to read Wodehouse just for the metaphors alone, and this one is rich with them. In the film Collision, Christopher quotes a line from this book -- "he looked like a sheep with a secret sorrow."
Melissa Coyle
Refreshing and lighthearted romp with the endearing Bertie Wooster and his wise valet, Jeeves guiding him out of trouble time and time again. I love these British, quirky characters and am looking forward to my next installment.
Ensiform
Mar 29, 2013 Ensiform rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, wodehouse
In a series of loosely connected, but independent, chapters, Bertie’s friend Bingo Little finds and loses girl after girl, until suddenly marrying celebrated novelist Rosie M. Banks. Oh, and in a quite amusing piece, Jeeves unmasks a pair of con artists who have stolen Aunt Agatha’s pearls.

In some ways, this early Bertie & Jeeves work is primitive; I had the strangest sense of reading a sort of Cliff’s Notes or concentrated versions, all the essential bits crammed in with rapid-fire deus ex
Rob
Nov 08, 2010 Rob rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, period-piece
I read both this and Very Good, Jeeves in the same omnibus collection, and so am combining my reviews of the two, since both are collections of short stories. Between the two, one gets a rather good cross section of young Bertram and his various relatives and friends, enough, I think, to know whether you’d like more or are relieved to have made this acquaintance and wish to move on.

Of them all, two stand out in these collections: the forever love-struck trencherman Bingo Little, and Bertie’s own
Perry Whitford
Aug 12, 2015 Perry Whitford rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Lovers of comic language and inspired silliness
Across these eighteen loosely related stories, Bertie Wooster first won a place in my heart with his idiotic escapades and innocent narratives, whilst the steely Jeeves looks on impassive, never failing to "give satisfaction", regardless of aunts and other similarly nasty impediments.

Having read most of the Jeeves and Wooster novels too, I actually prefer the better short stories because you get a lot more Jeeves for your money. In The Inimitable Jeeves Wodehouse serves up a canny marriage of b
Elisha Condie
Jan 19, 2009 Elisha Condie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another Wodehouse. If you're ever feeling tired, or sad, or grumpy, Wodehouse is almost certainly the cure. I just re-read this and although it's not as good as "Code of the Woosters" I still liked it a lot.

All of the Jeeves books follow Jeeves and Bertie Wooster around as Bertie stumbles into trouble, or his friends do, and Jeeves has to get them out of it. I love all of Bertie's friends nicknames- Dogface, Tuppy, Chuffy - they all kill me and their troubles are things like accidentally becomi
rachel
Mar 15, 2011 rachel rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: brit-lit, 2011
The episodic nature of this book suits the slapstick humor of Jeeves and Wooster, I think, better than the straight story of The Code of the Woosters. (So begins the most boring review of a Wodehouse novel ever, you think.) Anyway, I enjoyed the various Rosie M. Banks schemes, Bingo Little falling in love with 53 women, and the strong presence of Jeeves in this one.

I need to come to terms with the fact that I am the sort of person who can't "really like" a light humor novel. I'd love to be the
Rebecca
More of a story collection than a novel . Enjoyed it though I felt it to be incomplete at places. And though you maybe a highly intelligent butler there are limits you put your master's reputation to. My sympathies are entirely with Bertie. And I loved Bingo's highly admirable talent of falling in love with anyone anywhere.
Collin
Jun 28, 2016 Collin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
I'm still not comfortable putting up the books I've only "read" as an audiobook. Nothing against the audiobook medium at all, it's just I'm so terrible at really getting the nuances by ear. I need visuals. So I feel bad writing a review for something that I probably only got 80% of.

Still, I really did enjoy this audiobook, probably at more of a 3 1/2 stars than 4. I've been wanting to check out Jeeves and Wooster for a while but not enough to actually check out a book, but then I found this on H
  • Jeeves and the Wedding Bells (Jeeves, #16)
  • Trouble for Lucia (Lucia, #6)
  • The Complete Yes Minister
  • Wodehouse: A Life
  • Decline and Fall
  • Prepared for the Worst: Selected Essays and Minority Reports
  • Three Men on the Bummel
  • Will to Power: The Philosophy of Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Marrying Off Mother: And Other Stories
  • The Trials of Rumpole
  • The Secret of Father Brown (Father Brown, #4)
  • The Complete Saki
  • Diary of a Provincial Lady
  • Amazing Disgrace (Gerald Samper #2)
Sir Pelham Grenville Wodehouse, KBE, was a comic writer who enjoyed enormous popular success during a career of more than seventy years and continues to be widely read over 40 years after his death. Despite the political and social upheavals that occurred during his life, much of which was spent in France and the United States, Wodehouse's main canvas remained that of prewar English upper-class so ...more
More about P.G. Wodehouse...

Jeeves (1 - 10 of 15 books)
  • My Man Jeeves (Jeeves, #1)
  • Carry on, Jeeves (Jeeves, #3)
  • Very Good, Jeeves! (Jeeves, #4)
  • Right Ho, Jeeves (Jeeves, #6)
  • The Code of the Woosters (Jeeves, #7)
  • Joy in the Morning (Jeeves, #8)
  • The Mating Season (Jeeves, #9)
  • Ring for Jeeves (Jeeves, #10)
  • Jeeves and the Feudal Spirit (Jeeves, #11)

“We Woosters do not lightly forget. At least, we do - some things - appointments, and people's birthdays, and letters to post, and all that - but not an absolutely bally insult like the above.” 66 likes
“Warm-hearted! I should think he has to wear asbestos vests!” 44 likes