Start by marking “The Lion of Cairo” as Want to Read:
The Lion of Cairo

The Lion of Cairo (Emir of the Knife #1)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  170 ratings  ·  31 reviews
On the banks of the ageless Nile, from a palace of gold and lapis lazuli, the young Caliph rules as a figurehead over a crumbling empire. Cairo is awash in deception. In the shadow of the Gray Mosque, generals and emirs jockey for position under the scheming eyes of the powerful grand vizier. Egypt bleeds and the scent draws her enemies in like sharks. Yet, the Caliph has...more
Published December 7th 2010 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Lion of Cairo, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Lion of Cairo

Ross Evans
I have to be honest I was a bit puzzled going into The Lion of Cairo. This book is classified as historical fiction, and while I try to ignore titles I was still unsure what I was in for. Would this novel be based strictly on historical fact? Would there be fantastical elements to it? In the end I was glad to find that a few fantastical elements are sprinkled throughout the story, but it never strays far from its historical foundation.

Emir of the Knife, a notorious assassin is tasked with prote...more
Artemas
My second foray into Scott Oden's brand of historical fiction was another enjoyable one. Oden's writing style immerses the reader into his chosen setting with ease, resurrecting a time and place covered by the dust of centuries.

What's not to like about a tale depicting an assassin in Cairo during the height of the Crusades? Oden even added a nice touch of something unexpected that I don't want to spoil for anyone. There was alot going on in this book but everything blended together nicely.

My onl...more
Terri
Now, this is one of those books where I really wish Goodreads had half stars.
For me The Lion of Cairo wasn't quite a 3 star, and yet I am not comfortable with making it a 4 star. Choosing from the two, in the end I decided it deserved 4 more than the 3, because the story itself was really enjoyable and zipped along without a single boring bit.
A lot of people wouldn't have the problems with this book that I did. So, don't base your decision to get this book on my review alone.
And those problems w...more
Eric Wright
Cairo, on the banks of the Nile, is a city seething with intrigue from the vizier lusting for the Caliph’s position to armies on the way to capture the city, including crusaders from Jerusalem. Into this hotbed steps, the Emir of the Knife, commissioned to aid the Caliph with his sword of almost mystic power. An assassin, he represents some distant but almost mythical power.

Oden’s book sketches life at that time and echoes with the sounds of assassination and battle. While the plot is strong, t...more
Halfman
Oduševljen! Jedva čekam nastavak... :D
Victoria Dixon
On the banks of the ageless Nile, from a palace of gold and lapis lazuli, the young Caliph Rashid al-Hasan rules as a figurehead over a crumbling empire. Cairo is awash in deception. In the shadow of the Gray Mosque, generals and emirs jockey for position under the scheming eyes of the power grand vizier. In the crowded souks and narrow alleys, warring factions employ murder and terror to silence their opponents. Egypt bleeds. And the scent draws her enemies in like sharks: the swaggering Kurd S...more
Mohammed
Jul 28, 2010 Mohammed rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Fans of Historical adventure and fans Sword of Sorcery,Robert E Howard
This book blends masterfully history and adventure to create an exciting,vivid story. I didnt expect the writing,the story full of intrigue,the characters to be of such high quality. Normally a book with many characters can be annoying because you want the hero's POV mostly but in this book i cared for every characters personal story.

A story set in Medevil Cario,Arabic world is so original,so well used by the writer. Because usually this time in history is from The Crusaders point of view.

I had...more
Vincent Darlage
This is one of my new favorites, a category that includes "Frankenstein," "Gone with the Wind," "Dracula," "The Hour of the Dragon," and "Lord of the Rings." This novel had the right strokes of adventure, history, and magic. As an homage to REH, the novel also works. I hope there is a sequel in the works, not only because of the strings left untended at the end, but because I want to read more adventures of Assad.

Do yourself a favor, if you are reading this review... read this novel. It takes a...more
edifanob
A great read. Ancient Cairo comes alive and the Emir of the Knife is an impressive character.
pdarnold
In the beginning, I wasn't sure if I even wanted to continue reading. It jumps around between 3 or 4 different views, story lines. Either I was too distracted or the book wasn't drawing me in, I really don't know which was the case. I pushed on and am glad. The different story lines are brought together... finally. There is once again abuse of a minor, however, due to the era for which this story is set, the fact that was the way of life and at 15 a girl was pretty much considered an adult, and...more
Suman
Firstly, I believe in supporting good authors, especially when they're relatively new: I quickly bought two copies as gifts after enjoying a reading by the very gracious author, Scott.

Secondly, I thought this book was exceptionally well researched—it reminded me of the better books by Piers Anthony in the verisimilitude achieved for the various Arabian/Saracen/Egyptian flavors within. It flowed well, kept you in suspense, and had a twist or two before the end. What else could you ask for?

After...more
Tracy Terry
Attracted first by the front cover, not for me the bare-chested men that grace many a cover, preferring a bit of mystery I love the dark smouldering eyes of this character presumably Assad, aka Emir of the Knife.

Set in Egypt, albeit, as the author acknowledges, an Egypt more of fable and legend than actual history, full of eunuchs, concubines, courtesans and secret passages and described as a cross between The Arabian Nights and a Hollywood blockbuster, I should have loved The Lion Of Cairo and...more
Dawn Buffham-Bates
The cover intrigued me when this book was recommended to me by a friend. It took me a while to get around to reading it but when I did, I was hooked, that is until I left it in my mother-in-law's car door! For a month I was itching to get it back and start reading it again, and once I had it back, I read it within a week... all whilst dealing with the flu.

I have never read Men of Bronze, Mr Oden's first novel, but with his talent for conjuring up the streets of Cairo in the 12th century, I will...more
Robin Carter
Since the death of David Gemmell i have been so bored with fantasy, magic seems such a cop out and over done. My desire for Historical fiction has grown and grown in its place.
I wasnt sure i would ever go back to anything that contained magic, then Scott Oden let me read a short story destined for Lawyers in Hell and a new spark was lit.

Then there was this title, the cover alone appealed. The plot was intriguing.
Scott Oden is clearly a talented writer and knows how to twist a tale, this one has...more
Carla Nayland
In twelfth-century Cairo, the young Caliph is beset by invading armies and scheming viziers, all of who would like to rule Cairo over his dead body. But help is at hand from an unlikely quarter, in the shape of a legendary Assassin who owns a mysterious sword of malevolent power. This violent, action-packed adventure fantasy follows in the heroic tradition of RE Howard.
Review: http://www.carlanayland.org/reviews/l...
Craig Cote
I've grown an appetite for historical fiction set in the ancient and medieval periods, both of the fantastic and the non-fantastic variety. Scott Oden is a new author to me. I saw this book in the remainder bin at Chapters and saw Steven Pressfield's praise and decided it had to be worth a look.

All-in-all it was a good yarn. I'm not sure of the historical accuracy, but the characters were reasonably well-fleshed out, the action realistic if somewhat brutal at times (which could be considered aut...more
Ruth
c2010. Great story and interesting protagonist. A period of history that I had only read before from the Crusader's view point. Very slight esoteric edge to the plot and there is obviously another story to come - at least I hope so. The Emir of the Knife, Assad - not too much time is spent on character building. However, I think the story works and would recommend the book. Certainly, not your run of the mill historical novel. "Am I?" Assad stopped; his eyes narrowed to fiery slits. The voice ca...more
Brett
A good combination of pseudo-history and thriller, with just a touch of fantasy. Add in well-developed characters and you have a very entertaining read.
Vicky Vandewiele
I had a hard time remembering who everyone was. It feels like the end of the book is missing. I regret that the most exciting part is just packed on 15 pages near the end of the book, while the middle part of the book advances very slow.

It felt very authentic, I liked it, but sometimes this made it hard to understand, as I 'm not an expert in Islamic architecture and culture.

Gerry
After reading Scott Oden’s Memnon I thought this would be a bit more historical – it turns out to be a blood & guts story of an assassin... there are so many murders and battle scenes that it might turn some people off reading on... but the descriptive favor of the Middle East and the old city of Cairo are worth the effort...
Carol
Scott Oden gets better with every book. This book is his first historical fantasy fiction. It is set in ancient Egypt as Cairo is overrun by competing middle eastern armies. This is the first in a series and I can't wait to see how the next one develops the characters.
Cathy
Loved this book. Part historical novel, part Arabian nights. Fast paced. One of those books you find on a store shelf and it just calls to you to "try me". This one proves that trying a new author sometimes really works.
Cyn
This was entertaining. I'm pretty sure he is trying to set up a series. Bernard Cornwall fans would enjoy this adventure. (Although this is lassified as historical fiction, I think that's a stretch.)
Mhairi Penman
A great book. My first by Scott Oden. I highly recommend this book to anyone who likes the Templar era of Egypt or the good old fashioned game of intrigue.
Ali
I never really got into it. The one-dimensional characters just didn't interest me.
Weviewonder
I think its almost a copy of assassins creed... or maybe visa vera
Colin Geddes

Good read. Very rushed ending. Lays the way for the next!
Barbara
Not my favorite!
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Sworn Sword (The Bloody Aftermath of 1066, #1)
  • Sons of Thunder (Raven #2)
  • Mercenaries (The Conquest Trilogy, #1)
  • Hero of Rome (Gaius Valerius Verrens, #1)
  • Insurrection (The Insurrection Trilogy, #1)
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Ironfire
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • Strategos - Born in the Borderlands (Strategos, #1)
  • A Place Called Armageddon
  • Arrows of Fury (Empire, #2)
  • King of Ithaca
  • The Last English King
  • Dawn Of Empire
  • The Whale Road (Oathsworn, #1)
  • Lion Of The Sun (Warrior of Rome, #3)
  • The Crusader
Hailing from the hills of rural North Alabama, Scott Oden's fascination with far-off places began when his oldest brother introduced him to the staggering and savage vistas of Robert E. Howard and Harold Lamb. Though Oden started writing his own tales at the age of fourteen, it would be many years before anything would come of it. In the meantime, he had a brief and tempestuous fling with academia...more
More about Scott Oden...