Start by marking “Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)” as Want to Read:
Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (The American Girls Collection)

Molly: An American Girl : 1944 (American Girls: Molly #1-6)

3.95  ·  Rating Details ·  4,829 Ratings  ·  115 Reviews
Molly is a lively, lovable schemer and dreamer growing up in 1944. Her stories describe her life on the home front during World War Two. Molly doesn't like many of the changes the war has brought, and she especially misses her father, who is away caring for wounded soldiers. But Molly learns the importance of getting along and pulling together -- just as her country has to ...more
Published September 1st 1990 by American Girl (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Molly, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Molly

Little House on the Prairie by Laura Ingalls WilderAnne of Green Gables by L.M. MontgomeryLittle Women by Louisa May AlcottThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettThe Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Speare
Best Children's Historical Fiction
48th out of 620 books — 677 voters
The Magic of Finkleton by K.C. HiltonCharlotte's Web by E.B. WhiteMatilda by Roald DahlThe Secret Garden by Frances Hodgson BurnettHarry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone by J.K. Rowling
Books for nine-year-olds
68th out of 504 books — 349 voters

More lists with this book...

Sarah Evans
Dec 20, 2008 Sarah Evans rated it really liked it
To my husband's shock, the boys and I listened to this collection on audio. But she's not too girly and the boys love stories set in WWII. Not that the boys will be asking for her doll for Christmas or anything.

The writing and stories actually exceeded my expectations. I guess I was being snobby because of the whole doll tie-in and everything. But this is a solid early chapter book series. Molly's character is realistic and matures nicely over the course of the books. While we don't get to know
Natasha
Nov 05, 2008 Natasha rated it it was amazing
Of all the American Girl books, Molly's stories were the ones that bridged the generation gap between me and my mom. She and I cried together at Changes for Molly and laughed ourselves silly at Meet Molly. Changes for Molly still brings a tear to my eye with a re-read as a young adult. It probably always will.
Libby
Feb 18, 2015 Libby rated it really liked it
I got this series intending to read it out loud to my 4-year old daughter, but my 6-year old son loved listening to it as well! (and I didn't mind reading it, unlike Magic Treehouse books. The dialogue is sooo annoying in those...) I was really surprised that he would enjoy them beforehand, but after reading it, it's not overtly "girly", despite being for "american girls". We are going to read the Felicity series next and he is looking forward to it just as much as she is. I think it's a great ...more
Annalise
Sep 18, 2007 Annalise rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: girls 7 to 15
Shelves: american-girls
Molly is just a fun girl trying to do her part to help with world war II.
Molly
Feb 20, 2008 Molly rated it it was amazing
great!
Sarah Parker
Jan 07, 2008 Sarah Parker rated it it was amazing
loved it
Sara
Apr 12, 2010 Sara rated it really liked it
I used this title to review a book my great-grandmother wrote and had published titled, "Just Molly." Her name was Marguerite Nye Bell and the book was published in 1980. You can actually search for it on Amazon and it will list some places you can buy it used. So, it is a real book, even if Goodreads says it isn't.
I have had a copy of this book in my possession for most of my life, although I never read it in its entirety until about five or six years ago. I just reread it on the heels of Half-
Kathryn Herbert
Oct 12, 2014 Kathryn Herbert rated it liked it
Molly: An American Girl Doll is a children’s historical fiction book written by Valerie Tripp. Tripp, who is best known for her work with the American Girl series, wrote many of the books in the Felicity, Josefina, Kit, Molly, and Samantha series. Growing up in 1944, Molly is a 10 year old girl with a scheming but lovable personality. Molly: An American Girl Doll describes the ups and downs of life and lessons learned by Molly, who is living on the home front during World War Two. With Molly’s ...more
Molly Decker
Mar 04, 2016 Molly Decker rated it really liked it
Although my name is Molly, I had the Samantha American Girl doll growing up. I never wanted the Molly American Girl doll because she had glasses and I did not have glasses growing up - she didn't look like me, so how could I have a doll with my same name when she didn't look like me? This was my mindset as a child...children brains never cease to amaze me.

Anyway, I really enjoyed reading Molly: An American Girl: 1944. This seems to be the first chapter book in the Molly series. This story is ab
Taylor
Mar 15, 2009 Taylor added it
molly M.cintine life is full of change. her dad is at war, and her mom works at the red cross. The whole world is at war, so life is hard for molly. But she makes the best of it. Such as in the first book meet molly, molly and her family doesn't have much money so her halloween costume will have to do with what they already have. in molly learns a lesson, it is mostly about how her and her friends do a secret project for the schools lend a hand project. in molly's surprise, they face a ...more
Rachel
Jun 25, 2009 Rachel rated it it was amazing
Molly was my favorite, my baby, my American Girl doll who actually brought me closer to my grandmother and her own experiences of growing up during World War II. When I was a young American Girl, Molly's story was the most contemporary, which made her the most accessible to me (though sometimes, I wished I'd chosen something with a little more of that fantastical, historical feeling!) Molly's life was a lot like mine, actually- her mother worked, she went to school to learn English and Math, she ...more
Allison Webster
Nov 26, 2012 Allison Webster rated it really liked it
This set of books belongs to the genre of junior historical fiction.

This set of books describes the life, trials, and lessons learned by young Molly, who is growing up during the times of the second world war. She lives a life with her father fighting the war abroad and her family and herself fighting the war at home.

The areas for critique is characterization. Molly is a young woman growing up in hard times. However throughout her series, she learns many life lessons and grows up a stronger wo
Kayla Dunbar
Dec 17, 2014 Kayla Dunbar rated it really liked it
Shelves: popular-series
All of the American Girl Dolls books are very interesting. They create a different type of book for readers. Each girl has her own story and many different things happen to them. They each have their own trials that they go through. The American Girl Collection gives readers someone that they can relate to. They represent girls from all over. The girl I chose to read in particular was Molly. I chose her because she is from Ohio like I am and I felt I could relate to her. I think that this will ...more
Audrey
Nov 25, 2010 Audrey rated it really liked it
Man, the American Girls Collection was the shit when I was growing up. These books and the Little House books got me hooked on history starting from age seven. The nerding started early. I remember my mother getting pissed off at me because I kept re-reading these books over and over again, cycling through them. As soon as I finished the Felicity books, I would start the Kirsten books. After Kirsten, the Samantha books. After Samantha, Molly. (At the time, there were only four American Girls). ...more
Maggie Wiggins
Feb 01, 2010 Maggie Wiggins rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
I had the Molly doll growing up, but more because of her glasses than because of her era. I enjoyed Tripp's depiction of a large family (or what I thought of as a big family; I'm an only child), as well as how modern the setting was. She was most relatable to me because I thought of her as possibly a potential older relative. She and I both had modern appliances! We both had wire framed glasses and electricity! It's the little things here, people.

Readalikes: Dear America Series, American Sister
Kristen
Nov 06, 2009 Kristen rated it liked it
Molly was my favorite American Girl and she's the only one of the original three who won't be retired by the time Kate turns six (the magic birthday where she gets to pick out an AG doll.) I figured she was the natural girl to start with. At first, Kate and Lexi weren't that interested, it took the whole first book for them to get into it but they got hooked. Kate definitely picked up some residual knowledge of WWII. Happy Birthday, Molly (where Emily comes to stay) was probably their favorite ...more
Teri
I've heard a lot of great things about the American Girl series--but I am quite disappointed. I REALLY disliked how cliquey and catty the girls in the book were. Isn't this exactly what we'd like our girls NOT to be? I appreciated the historical aspect of it all (this book takes place during WWII) but it doesn't compensate for the lack of good character I was expecting.

Our library has this on audio CD and my girls really loved listening to it--but I'm not going to be too anxious to pick up anot
Callie Stillion
This was one of the hardest books ever to rate. It had books I loved, and books that I didn`t like as much. But one of the best things was I can say "I`ve read all of the American Girl Doll Molly books!" and then explain it was in 1 book.
I think overall the way that they introduce Molly in the Molly series is creative, but a little rude. "You can`t leave until you finish your turnips!" And Molly`s response is autimatically no.
Overall the books were good, but it depended on the book, and that`s
Tessa
Aug 31, 2011 Tessa rated it it was amazing
I love these books! Molly is a 10 year old girl living during world war 2. I like it because there are all sorts of problems in her life, but she always finds a way through. There are shortages of everything, and her dad is a doctor working in England, She has two annoying brothers, and an older sister who barely pays any attention to her. Molly is an example to me, and I think Valerie Tripp is a great writer.
Rebekah
I loved this books as a wee girl. I think Molly's camping adventure was my favorite. I mean come on, she stuffed worms down her shirt to win and got poison ivy for it. I probably read it about once a month in 4th grade, mostly because I had read everything in the library after being in the same school for 4 years and there was nothing else to read. Felicity was also a favorite and, well I guess I really liked all of them. I own Kit.
Molly
Jun 30, 2011 Molly rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: any young girl EVER
Shelves: childhood-reads
I LOVED Molly! I'm sure it didn't help that my name is Molly and I had dark hair and glasses. I wanted a Molly doll soooooooooooo badly as a girl,but I never got one! Darn it.Even now, every Christams and birthday I secretly hope to unwrap a beautiful Molly doll with her two braids,jaunty beret and her heart shaped locket. Oh well, a girl can dream.
Jul 18, 2008 Laura rated it it was amazing
I miss these books so much! Molly was my favorite character in the American Girls series as a child. I thought I was so cool because my Grandmother was the same age as Molly in 1944. Wonderful, educational, heartwarming stories. This is what little girls should be reading these days, not some of the trash I see out there now.
Anne
Aug 12, 2008 Anne rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Trish
Just when I thought I had decided which American Girls to get for my young friends for Christmas! I adored these stories--Trish, I'm with you, Molly is the best (so far). Her adventures remind me of some of my own childhood hijinks, and I believe the way Tripp writes about WWII makes war sound as horrible as it really is without being too scary for young readers.
Heather McCormick
Jan 23, 2015 Heather McCormick rated it really liked it
Genesis! What better way than get kids interested in books by marketing it along with a popular toy. These books were deeper than just the character and the doll, they were centered on a certain time period. The books had historical facts and told of the lives and troubles of the young women in that period.
Rachel
I enjoyed reading this series when I was younger and I still enjoy reading it as an adult. The author does a good job of transporting me back to the period during World War II. The version I was reading was printed in 1988 and I wonder if they rewrote some of the "Looking Back" section after 2001 when we became much more involved in foreign wars.
Casey
May 10, 2007 Casey rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Okay, so I cannot properly articulate how basically these books got me into Stanford. You are especially less likely to believe me after reading that sentence. Seriously--the American Girls collections (and, well, the Molly Doll) made super curious about history. My daughters will read these books (oh yes they will.).
Shalyce
Jan 28, 2012 Shalyce rated it it was amazing
I haven't personally read these, but Alannah has loved this series. It is the first set of books that she has really gotten excited about reading over. I LOVE them because she likes to read them AND because they are historical fiction, so I feel like she is also learning a little about history in the process.
Gina
Jul 10, 2008 Gina rated it really liked it
This was the first American Girl series I read, and I read it with my daughter. We loved it. There was a lot of good information about being a child during WW2 and what life was like on the homefront. It was really cool that my dad was the exact age Molly would have been. My 7 year old daughter was able to visit with her grandfather about his memories of that time.
Marcina Turner
Sep 01, 2015 Marcina Turner rated it really liked it
I think It's a great book. It's about american girl who went to to America. The girl and her friend were in the boat to way to America. They were playing with something and waited for arrive there. She and her friend were so excited to see her family and they arrived there. They were happy and excited to touch America. There are have more story in the american girl book. It's cool book.
Kristen
Dec 16, 2015 Kristen rated it it was amazing
American Girls are so near and dear to my heart. They remind me so much of my childhood. Molly is one of my favorites. Reading her books taught me about what it was like to live during WWII- I remember the sugar and butter rations and how difficult it was for them.
MCC Children's Li...: Molly: An American Girl 1 1 Feb 26, 2012 08:11PM
  • Kirsten's Boxed Set (The American Girls Collection/Boxed Set)
  • Addy: An American Girl (Boxed Set) (American Girls Collection)
  • Rebecca: An American Girl (Rebecca #1-6)
  • Julie: An American Girl (American Girls: Julie, #1-6)
  • Bravo, Mia! (American Girl of the Year)
  • A Spy on the Home Front: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Welcome to Felicity's World · 1774: Growing Up in Colonial America (American Girls Collection)
  • The Light in the Cellar: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • Clues in the Shadows: A Molly Mystery (American Girl Mysteries)
  • The Night Flyers (American Girl History Mysteries, #3)
  • Meet Cécile (American Girls: Marie-Grace and Cécile, #2)
  • Good Luck, Ivy (American Girls: Julie)
  • Riddle of the Prairie Bride (American Girl History Mysteries, #12)
  • Kathleen: The Celtic Knot
Valerie Tripp is a children's book author, best known for her work with the American Girl series.

She grew up in Mount Kisco, New York with three sisters. She is a reading expert with a Reading Master’s of Education degree from Harvard University. Since 1985 she has lived in Silver Spring, Maryland. Her husband teaches history at Montgomery College. She has been a writer for reading textbooks for t
More about Valerie Tripp...

American Girls: Molly (6 books)
  • Meet Molly: An American Girl (American Girls: Molly, #1)
  • Molly Learns a Lesson: A School Story (American Girls: Molly, #2)
  • Molly's Surprise: A Christmas Story (American Girls: Molly, #3)
  • Happy Birthday, Molly: A Springtime Story (American Girls: Molly, #4)
  • Molly Saves the Day: A Summer Story (American Girls: Molly, #5)
  • Changes for Molly: A Winter Story (American Girls: Molly, #6)