On Painting

On Painting

3.62 of 5 stars 3.62  ·  rating details  ·  264 ratings  ·  13 reviews
Albertis Della Pittura was the first modern analytical study of painting. A systematic description of the one-point perspective construction, it was designed to persuade both patron and painter in the Renaissance to discard the old tastes in painting for the new.
Published July 2nd 1991 by Penguin Classics (first published 1435)

To ask other readers questions about On Painting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about On Painting

The Great Gatsby by F. Scott FitzgeraldPride and Prejudice by Jane AustenHamlet by William ShakespeareThe Odyssey by HomerMacbeth by William Shakespeare
Best Books From Before 1950
154th out of 414 books — 73 voters
The Book of Kells by Bernard MeehanEarly Medieval Art by John BeckwithEarly Netherlandish and German Paintings by Alistair SmithVenice by Giandomenico RomanelliA History of Illuminated Manuscripts by Christopher De Hamel
Medieval Art
17th out of 100 books — 18 voters

More lists with this book...

Amy Jane
Despite being told by Alberti not to bother continuing after the first chapter because I didn't quite grasp his mathematic theories, I finished the book. I even gleaned some information from it, ignoramus that I am. The following two 'books' were much more easy to grasp, being about composition, colour and light. He believed that equipped with his lessons, painters can become masters of thur art. Alberti himself was a true Renaissance man; painter and architect, theorist and essayist, philosophe...more
Tom
As a starting point to understanding the technical aspects of paintings, e.g. understanding perspective, this book is excellent, written as it was at the time when some of the great Italian Renaissance masters were alive and working, and others were yet to be born. The book is enhanced by an introduction by the great Martin Kemp (the Leonardo scholar, not the actor and pop singer) and diagrams which illustrate the concepts described in the text.
Robert
Oct 02, 2008 Robert rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who loves painting.
The first part of the text is a little overly mathematical, but overall this is a quick and simple read, and it is definitely worth reading. This slim little book played an integral part in the development of Renaissance Art, with its focus on perspective, proportional awareness, study of human physiology, and an attempt to have the motion and bodies of the picture reveal the subtle inner workings of the mind and emotions of those displayed. A defining work of art analysis and criticism.
Jossue Vega Bazan
Written during the Renaissance, Alberti's guide to true painting is wonderful. Arguing that a true artist is very much a technician; they must know arithmetic, literature, and reception of light in order to make an art piece a true work of art. I really enjoyed reading this and I am sure that those infatuated with art and everything to do with it will equally enjoy it.
Madeline W
Ariosto offers a great point of reference for any interested in art and its practice, showing more similarity to modern eyes in method and aesthetic appreciation than difference. The fact that the work mainly existed in Latin, rather than Italian, makes it even more impressive in clarity and skill!
Spencer Em dash j
"If it is as such to be of some use and convenience to painters, I would especially ask them as a reward for my labours to paint my portrait in their 'historiae' and thereby proclaim to posterity that I was a student of this art..." (95).
Lamadia
This was a surprisingly fast read. I was anticipating something far harder to get through and understand, but after 600 years, it still holds up. This may be the translation, but I enjoyed it.
Julia Lanter
Going to Italy? Learn from a renaissance artists how to view masterpieces in Italian art. A great read for the airplane ride over.
Michael
stauffer said start here ... it took me 11 years, but i read it
Haroldo
matematização do olhar
Laura marked it as to-read
Aug 08, 2014
Kalliope
Kalliope marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Mercedes
Mercedes marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Ellie
Ellie marked it as to-read
Aug 04, 2014
Trine Paulsen
Trine Paulsen marked it as to-read
Aug 03, 2014
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jul 31, 2014
John
John marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Lynn
Lynn marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
  • Painting and Experience in Fifteenth-Century Italy: A Primer in the Social History of Pictorial Style
  • What Painting Is
  • The Renaissance: Studies in Art and Poetry
  • History of Italian Renaissance Art: Painting, Sculpture, Architecture
  • The Book of the Courtier
  • Art and Illusion: A Study in the Psychology of Pictorial Representation
  • Unto This Last and Other Writings (Penguin Classics)
  • The Truth in Painting
  • The Civilization of the Renaissance in Italy
  • Bright Earth: Art and the Invention of Color
  • Introductory Lectures on Aesthetics
  • What Is Art?
  • The Civilization Of Europe In The Renaissance
  • Paintings in Proust: A Visual Companion to In Search of Lost Time
198388
Leon Battista Alberti was an Italian author, artist, architect, poet, priest, linguist, philosopher, cryptographer and general Renaissance humanist polymath. Although he is often characterized as an "architect" exclusively, as James Beck has observed, "to single out one of Leon Battista's 'fields' over others as somehow functionally independent and self-sufficient is of no help at all to any effor...more
More about Leon Battista Alberti...
On the Art of Building in Ten Books The Family in Renaissance Florence (I libri della famiglia), Books One-Four Momus On Painting And On Sculpture. The Latin Texts Of De Pictura And De Statua Leonis Baptiste Alberti: Trivia Senatoria (Edizione Nazionale Opere Di Leon Battista Alberti) (Italian And Latin Edition)