Ozma Of Oz (Oz, #3)
read book* *Different edition

Ozma Of Oz (Oz #3)

3.96 of 5 stars 3.96  ·  rating details  ·  12,559 ratings  ·  483 reviews
Ozma of Oz, published on July 29, 1907, was the third book of L. Frank Baum's Oz series. It was the first in which Baum was clearly intending a series of Oz books. Where at the end of The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, Dorothy's silver shoes were lost in the desert, at the end of Ozma of Oz, Glinda tells her the magic belt she could wish herself home with would likewise be lost,...more
Published May 12th 2010 (first published 1907)

To ask other readers questions about Ozma Of Oz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ozma Of Oz

Jason Koivu
The original title for this was...Ozma of Oz: A Record of Her Adventures with Dorothy Gale of Kansas, Billina the Yellow Hen, the Scarecrow, the Tin Woodsman, Tik-Tok, the Cowardly Lion and the Hungry Tiger; Besides Other Good People too Numerous to Mention Faithfully Recorded Herein.

You gotta think Baum was just fucking with his readers at this point.

L. Frank Baum: Full-Time Author, Part-Time Prick
description

This time around Dorothy is on a voyage to Australia to help soothe her Uncle Henry's rattled ner...more
Stephanie
I just finished reading Ozma of Oz, third book in the Oz series by L. Frank Baum. There was a funny quote near the end. Ozma, speaking to Dorothy, says, "You see, in this country are a number of youths who do not like to work, and the college is an excellent place for them." There are a number of such youths in our country today!

I like the Oz books quite a bit so far, although I was a little distracted by the way Dorothy spoke in this book, leaving out vowels all over the place, pronouncing word...more
Michael Alexander
Still loopy but a tad darker. Again, haven't read this in ages; if anything, I remember it better from the cult classic Return to Oz movie, which made for an interesting comparison.

But this one gives you lots of fun with Dorothy and the delightful queen Ozma, not to mention an intrepid hen given powers of speech by transition to the fairylands, one of the most Grimm's-ian villains yet with the Nome King and his dangerous guessing game, and my deep and abiding favorite Tik-Tok, whose wind-up pers...more
Lydia Presley
Shortly into reading Ozma of Oz I started having strange flashbacks. You know those kind of flashbacks when parts of your youth you have forgotten come creeping in and making you think.. did this happen or was it deja vu?

Turns out - it did happen! This book was the biggest influence on Disney's 1985 movie, Return to Oz. I knew the changing heads woman was something I hadn't thought up of on my own!

So, once my curiosity was appeased I settled in to enjoy the wildly fun ride Ozma of Oz gave me. An...more
Shoshana
Feb 01, 2012 Shoshana rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: people who enjoy great books
Several thoughts on this one.

I love how Dorothy is completely resilient, calm, and optimistic in the face of extreme danger. I mean, it's also pretty ridiculous - at the beginning of the book, a storm throws her overboard with nothing but a chicken coop to keep her afloat on the vast ocean, and she is "more amused than frightened at her sudden change of condition," gives "a sigh of regret at parting with Uncle Henry," and promptly goes to sleep. Like, what? Yeah, uh, ok. Still, I really apprecia...more
Shari
We began reading Ozma of Oz on a five year old birthday, which meant waiting a whole week since finishing The Land of Oz from Christmas. The chief appeal as a child had been for me the guessing game, and the Nome King did not disappoint my five year old.

Billina knowing a secret had us talking about secrets all week, but more important than knowing a secret is knowing that the least imposing character, a chicken, can save the day. Precisely because she's unnoticed and not taken to be significan...more
Tori
another wonderful Oz book. Baum has done such a great job of describing and populating a magical kingdom! The story is written so well - but it's sad to think that probably many of today's young readers wouldn't read it because it isn't action-packed. there is just such a sweetness about these books. I love the characters - TikTok, the Wheelers, Billina, the Nome King. I am glad this series was part of my life when I was growing up - now I hope that my grand-daughter will be equally enchanted wi...more
Joni
I have to say I was quite disappointed with this book. The storyline and characters were just as good as ever - Billina the chicken is perfectly adorable! However, Dorothy makes a reappearance in this book, and it seems that she has made some major regression in her ability to speak proper English. I think Auntie Em should be concerned enough to have a developmental evaluation and consider some interventions. Seriously, though, my only guess is that Baum chooses to have Dorothy speak poor Englis...more
Heidi
A great adventure story to read aloud, especially for girls. We loved the horrible princess with the interchangeable heads, and all the other characters. We found a free ebook of an illustrated edition which made it nice to look at too, maybe from the Internet Archive.
Tatuu
Oh Billina! Billina is such a sweetie! I imagined she had an African American accent- makes her conversations more interesting.
Lucia
Just when you think the little girl (Dorothy is a little girl in the books not the woman depicted in the movie) has been through enough during her fateful trip in the cyclone and journey to defeat the witch in Oz, she now is a castaway from a shipwreck and washes up in the strange Land of Ev. She befriends a talking chicken and a clockwork man and then ensues on very Baum-ish adventures and meets many new Baum-ish characters. Later she reunites with her trusted companions from Oz to defeat an ev...more
Maki
As I continue to make my way through this series with my daughter, I can't help but gush over how adorable it is that L. Frank Baum listened to what the children who read his books wanted, and gave them as many of their requests as he could fit into a book. It just makes me smile every time I read one of his introductions.

(Yes. I read the introductions in books.)

Anyway, to the book itself.

Dorothy makes her return in this book, and for some reason has developed a strange way of talking, that I as...more
Joy
my favorite OZ book so far. a wonderful adventure full of interesting characters. it flows nicely and was just such fun.

gnome king riddles and sawhorse rhymes:
“Would a wooden horse in a woodland go? Aye, aye! I sigh, he would, although Had he not had a wooden head He’d mount the mountain top instead.”

any book containing trees which bear lunchbox fruits and dinner pails can only be delightful:

⊙ "The leaves of this tree were all paper napkins, and it presented a very pleasing appearance to the hun...more
Suncerae
Dorothy returns to a world of magic with her yellow hen Billina (formerly Bill), though this time it's a neighboring land of Oz, called Ev, which is filled with even more imaginative characters. Washed ashore tired and hungry, Dorothy picks two lunch pails from a lunch pail tree, and her and Billina are subsequently ambushed by the Wheelers, loud and threatening creatures who have wheels for hands and feet and roll on all fours, and who have claimed the land formerly ruled by the captured Queen...more
Jason Pettus
(Reprinted from the Chicago Center for Literature and Photography [cclapcenter.com:]. I am the original author of this essay, as well as the owner of CCLaP; it is not being reprinted here illegally. This review covers all 14 of the Baum Oz books, which is why it's found on all 14 book pages here.)

I think it's fairly safe by now to assume that nearly everyone in Western society is familiar with The Wizard of Oz, most of us because of the classic 1939 movie adaptation; and many realize as well tha...more
Susan
The title is a bit of a misnomer in a way. Ozma might be included in this book, but she's not really the focus at all. Dorothy is back at the helm of the adventure, and maybe this is no coincidence, but the heart of this series seems to have returned as well. Though the lion's share of the plot of Return to Oz came from this book, it's not the worse for it--the book is much less muddled than the movie was, and it's a good, solid adventure.

Once again, a near-tragedy transports Dorothy to a fai...more
A B
I have a few very distinct memories of details my first reads of the Oz series - Miss Cuttenclip, the china sherpherdess, and my favorite - the lunch box tree and dinner pail tree featured in "Ozma of Oz", the third in this fantastic series.

It actually doesn't take place in Oz, but rather a neighboring country across the impenetrable desert, Ev (I guess Mo and Ix are also border countries - I never noticed the 2 letter trend before). Dorothy and Uncle Henry take a voyage to Australia, encounter...more
Lee Födi
This has always been my absolute favorite book of the Oz series. It makes a great read aloud to young children, but I think older kids will like it too, due to some fascinating concepts such as the Wheelers, the Princess with 28 heads, and the Giant with the hammer.

In this book, L. Frank Baum also introduces some of his best characters in the entire Oz series: Tik-Tok, the Nome King, and Billina the Hen, who is a delightfully mischievious character (as a child, I was always disappointed that sh...more
Christine Blachford
I think this is my favourite of the Oz series so far, it has so many interesting ideas in there - the moving carpet to cross the desert, the princess with a selection of heads to choose from, the ornament guessing game, and of course the Wheelers. I think I had a picture book that combined the previous adventures with Jack Pumpkinhead with this one, and I remember the Wheelers being absolutely terrifying.

This time round, they're not so much, and them crumbling under the realisation that they are...more
Patty Presley
Oh wow. I am reading a big collection containing all 14 Oz books.

I just finished reading this one, and I am delighted with this story. Tiktok is a brilliant addition to the story and he's an amazing character, despite being a copper machine. Dorothy is as sweet and brave as ever. Ozma is such a warm and loving character, that it's hard to not like her. I cannot wait to continue reading these books. I am surprised I never read them as a child, but am delighted to be reading them now. As they say...more
John Gillespie
Dorothy Gale returns in this third novel in Baum's series; only this time it's a storm at sea that takes her from our world, and her "pet" is a intelligent hen named "Bill" who survives in the same coop that fell overboard. Even though Dorothy has no problems befriending Ozma, who grew up as a boy until adolescence, somehow our Kansas heroine can't countenance a hen with a male name. Anyway, Baum seems to get the fundamental personification that I remember vividly from my own play as a child.
Chagall
La piccola Dorothy è in viaggio per mare con zio Henry, quando durante una tempesta cade tra le onde e approda nella magica terra di Ev. Qui viene presto raggiunta da Ozma e dai suoi vecchi amici della terra di Oz, e insieme a loro parte alla volta della montagna del Re degli Gnomi, per ritrovare i dieci principi scomparsi di questo nuovo regno incantato.

Ed ecco il terzo volume della serie di Oz! Pur non avendo mai letto il romanzo, la storia non mi era completamente sconosciuta, perché molti pe...more
Joan  McKenzie
I read all of the Oz books again, and again, and again when I was a kid. Had to buy them all when I grew up and they were available with the original illustrations. Had to buy the series for my Kindle when I found it was available. I would really like to re-read the whole series. The only reason I don't is that I can read them whenever I want to, and there are too many books I want to read that I do not have at my fingertips. Too many books, not enough time.
Katie
Rae vautrin
My 9 year old and I are currenlt reading this book after reading the Wizard of Oz twice. It's amusing but strange how the author made Dorthy's speak with a strange dialect in this book. I do think my favorite characters have been Billina the wise talking chicken and the snooty princess with the 30 different head. A fun book to read with my daughter but since I read Wicked I always look at these books with a skewed eye.
Christy
Now this was a great story! I look forward to sharing this one with my kids (of all ages). It's a little creepy at the beginning with a princess who changes her heads but somehow they make it not so creepy and though at one point she wants Dorothy's head she is easily swayed when asked not to take it and moves on with her life. This book adds fun new characters to the Oz family and was a good, short read.
Juan Carlos Alaniz
A los libros de OZ los encontré de casualidad. Era un niño, y estaba revolviendo unos libros en la sección infantil, sin encontrar nada interesante que leer; hasta que me encontré con el primero, El mago de OZ. Conocía la película, pero no me gustaba mucho por dos razones: porque era vieja y porque era un musical.
Inmediatamente me compré el primero, sin saber que había un segundo libro. Me enamoré. Así fui descubriendo los libros siguientes, pero ninguno de los que siguieron me gusto tanto como...more
Juliette
Read this one to my son. We liked it okay. There's just something about the way that Baum writes that I'm not sold on. Dorothy seems to have gotten immature in her speech since she can't pronounce things properly. I might have to read the rest of these before reading any more of them to my son.
Fun story of the Land of Ev and the Nome King though.
Kat
One of my favorite Oz stories. The plot is a bit tighter than usual, and the eminently sensible Billina the Hen is one of my favorite characters. This story also features the incredibly creepy princess with interchangeable heads.

The reading by Phil Chenevert is excellent -- clear, well-paced, with fun, distinctive, and consistent voices.
Richard Ward
Liked it better than the second Oz book. All, or almost all, the most popular characters from both the first two Oz books are back, with some new characters, too. So a pretty big cast. Little new character development of the returning favorites, but young readers will still love seeing Dorothy and company again. The big improvement over Book Two for me was in this book's better central conflict. A fair dose of silliness that adult readers will like less than young readers will. Giving it four st...more
Please add page numbers 1 9 Feb 14, 2013 09:11AM
How many pages... 3 28 Jul 12, 2011 09:04AM
  • Kabumpo in Oz (Oz, #16)
  • The Story of the Amulet (Five Children, #3)
  • The Time Garden (Tales of Magic, #4)
  • The Witch Family
  • Mary Poppins Comes Back (Mary Poppins, #2)
  • The Dragon in the Driveway (Dragon Keepers, #2)
  • A Kidnapped Santa Claus
  • Oz: Ozma of Oz (Marvel Classics)
  • The Basilisk’s Lair (Nathaniel Fludd, Beastologist, #2)
  • Sophie's Secret (Sophie, #2)
  • All-of-a-Kind Family Downtown (All-of-a-Kind Family, #2)
  • Dangerous Games
  • The Diamond in the Window (Hall Family Chronicles, #1)
  • Winter Door (The Gateway Trilogy, #2)
Lyman Frank Baum was an American author, actor, and independent filmmaker best known as the creator, along with illustrator W. W. Denslow, of one of the most popular books in American children's literature, The Wonderful Wizard of Oz, better known today as simply The Wizard of Oz. He wrote thirteen sequels, nine other fantasy novels, and a plethora of other works (55 novels in total, 82 short stor...more
More about L. Frank Baum...
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (Oz, #1) The Marvelous Land of Oz (Oz, #2) The Road to Oz (Oz, #5) Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz (Oz, #4) The Emerald City of Oz (Oz, #6)

“You see, in this country are a number of youths who do not like to work, and the college is an excellent place for them.” 47 likes
“I've married a man who owns nine cows," said Jinjur to Ozma, "and now I am happy and contented and willing to lead a quiet life and mind my own business."

"Where is your husband?" asked Ozma.

"He is in the house, nursing a black eye," replied Jinjur, calmly. "The foolish man would insist upon milking the red cow when I wanted him to milk the white one; but he will know better next time, I am sure.”
8 likes