Start by marking “Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)” as Want to Read:
Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler, #2)

Dancing on the Head of a Pin (Remy Chandler #2)

3.89  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,631 Ratings  ·  89 Reviews
Meet Remy Chandler...

He's one of the good guys...

But he's in bad trouble...

Having lost the love of his life, Remy finds himself turning away from the world. He seeks out dangerous jobs that involve the supernatural and bring him into contact with his past. In his latest case, a cache of ancient weaponry is stolen from a collector who deals in antiques of a dark and d
Kindle Edition, 1st Edition, 308 pages
Published April 7th 2009 by Roc (first published February 21st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Dancing on the Head of a Pin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dancing on the Head of a Pin

Cathy
Another good entry from Sniegoski. It's a good example of what I like best about fantasy and sci-fi - on the surface it's a typical paranormal/urban mystery, but it's also an philosophical examination of life, love, good vs. evil and free will. (And most importantly, the value of having a good dog in your life!) Not that mainstream fiction can't deal with deep topics, but often the fantastical setting or structure allows for a more complex weaving of adventure and fun with serious ruminations ab ...more
J'aime
Aug 08, 2011 J'aime rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
At one point, I was so frustrated I almost threw this book across the room. An angel living as a human, and a private investigator, has a lot of potential. However, after finishing this I realized something. He's not really a PI. Every "case" is just another attempt to restart/prevent another war in heaven. Remy is pulled in to investigate; he fights with himself over the need to release his angel; and the bad guy is probably another angel. Remy doesn't investigate; he gets told what he needs to ...more
Kelly H. (Maybedog)
Jan 06, 2016 Kelly H. (Maybedog) rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who love dogs in their Urban fantasy
3.5 stars rounded up.This was a good follow up to the first book. This time around he has to deal with the death of his wife from the previous book. His grief is shown well and is believable. The passion and love that he feels for her is one of the most beautiful and tragic romances I've read in Urban Fantasy.

Again the mythos feels real to me. I often felt that what Sniegoski was portraying was closer to what was written in the old Testament than what I learned in Sunday school. I don't know how
Nikki
Aug 16, 2011 Nikki rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, mystery, angels
Like the first book of the series, Dancing on the Head of a Pin is a quick and easy read -- fluff, almost. I mean, okay, there's some gruesome bits, and it's an apocalypse, but it's still very easy to read.

I sort of wish there'd been more to the mystery aspect, and also that there'd been more of a build-up. Once you've dealt with the apocalypse, how can you go back to figuring out who the banker's wife is screwing? Well, in real life, easily, but in fiction? I do wish there'd been some sort of r
Adam
Still feels like making the setting quickly. Not bad, though. When attention is paid to a character they become fleshed out and interesting. Could use more people with that attention that stay in the story, though.
Issa
Still reeling after the death of (view spoiler) Remy takes a case looking for stolen weapons. The case takes him back into the workings of angels, there is an angel group who wants the weapons, as well as a fallen angel, and all their minions. There is plenty of action and violence as it comes at Remy at all sides and in the end it has everything to do about a plan to free Lucifer from Hell. The plot after that realization is confusing and contradictory in a way. While ...more
Yolanda Sfetsos
Feb 02, 2011 Yolanda Sfetsos rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: urban-fantasy
After reading the first Remy Chandler book, I was looking forward to this one. And it was just as good as the first one.

Remy might be a PI from Boston, but he's not your average man. Nope, he actually used to be known as Remiel, the Seraphim. Actually, his angelic personality hasn't completely left him, he just prefers to keep it hidden behind his human guise. After recently losing the love of his life, he's still mourning her death.

So he turns his attention to helping his friend, Francis (a for
Doris
Jul 06, 2012 Doris rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Remy Chandler aka Remiel the Seraphim has just buried his wife after a long loving marriage. His reality is based on his love for Maddie, and he acknowledges that having loved her has humanized him.

He was a warrior of Heaven when Lucifer rebelled, and has been sent to Earth. I never quite got if he was a bad guy or not, but got the impression that his exile may have been self imposed. He never fought with Lucifer, but is trying to redeem himself and find meaning for his life, which he had for a
Christopher
Oct 06, 2009 Christopher rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sniegoski's Remy Chandler novels are strangely compelling for me in ways that defy rational explanation.

I was raised Catholic, but had always rejected Catholicism and all of its trappings, to the point of for many years being rabidly opposed to the church (I now view such vigorous hatred as overcompensating, and have chosen to retire to a mild dislike for the church leadership/hierarchy and much of the dogma and theology that goes with it).

So it took me quite by surprise when I found myself feel
Siew Ee
Jun 04, 2013 Siew Ee rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Have read a number of good paranormal series featuring male protagonists fighting evil in the world, be it wizard, druid, psychopomp, half-Auphe and even human. Thought I’d covered it all until this series.

Remy Chandler is an Angel who, sickened and disillusioned by the great war in heaven, decided to live out life in a guise of a human. He worked as a private detective and got married to a wonderful woman, and that’s where the story begins…

As expected, there’s lots of action and plot twists ch
Wendy
Sep 07, 2009 Wendy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Remy Chandler is more than just a Private Investigator. He’s an angel. But years ago, he left Heaven to live on Earth as just another human. But what Remy has come to found out is that you can’t run away from your past or who you are and now, having lost the love of his life, he finds himself turning away from his human life and friends and seeking out his more dangerous, otherworldly past.

His latest case involves the theft of a cache of ancient weapons stolen from a collector who deals with ant
Kati
Dec 25, 2009 Kati rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Supernatural (the TV series) fans
2nd in the Remy Chandler series. Better than the first and as before, very Supernatural like in its take on angels. In this book, Remy has to stop the Nomads from releasing Lucifer. And as is usual in Sniegoski's books, the creatures of both Heaven and Hell turn out to be pretty much selfish bastards. Though I admit that sometimes it was hard for me to understand Remy's reasoning: like, he's blaming everything that happened - the war in Heaven, the rift between the fallen angels who stood with L ...more
Rosey
So Remy is hired by a man to find some stolen. Aided by Marlowe, is awesome dog that he can communicate with, and fallen Guardian Angel Francis, they try and fugure out WTF is going on. I love how the author talks about the difference in angels and the difference in fallen angels. Some angels get out of Hell and live on Earth. Book 2 of the adventures of Remy Chandler aka the angel Remiel takes off not long after the end of Book 1. I really enjoyed Book 1 so I was excited to pick up this book an ...more
Dorie
Oct 16, 2009 Dorie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy-sci-fi
Mark
May 15, 2010 Mark rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I imagine it must be demoralizing working in the publishing industry. You love reading and books and want to bring that joy to others. And then you regularly get dreck like this book crossing your desk. You know there are enough people with standards so low that you can make money selling them this crap, but on the other hand you know you will be guilty of killing trees and brain cells if you publish this. You think about your mortgage, your son's braces, your daughter's tuition...then you sigh ...more
Mike Finn
I read the first of this series "A Kiss Before The Apocalypse" back in 2011. I loved the graphic novel feel of the plot: Remy Chandler, a Seraphim who walked away from Heaven after the war between the angels, has lived for millennia on Earth in human form but has only recently found and married the love of life, now has to risk everything to save the world from the apocalypse. It doesn't get better than that. Except, actually, it does because he has a labrador called Marlowe that he can communic ...more
Lisa Paul
Sep 20, 2015 Lisa Paul rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I'm a HUGE fan of mysteries, hard-boiled folks, urban-fantasy-mysteries, and so on, so I picked this book up at a used book sale. Disappointing.

I only read about 50% of it. I was assuming from about page 3 that I'd rate it 2 stars because of having a plot and some atmosphere, until I got so bored I couldn't finish it. I was 100% more invested in the emotional life of Marlowe (yes, really) the main character's Labrador retriever.

If I actually notice the writing style of a boilerplate cross-subge
Magdelanye
How glad I am that I took the time to pause and read vol 1.
As much as enjoyed my reading of this one,vol 2 in this trilogy,it was enhanced by the additional experience I gained there.

TES never falters. In his casual,decisive way,he wracks up the tension and the stakes,never in the direction the reader anticipates. The impossible ending sets us up for more.

excuse me....I'm ready
Callista
I've been trying to decide if I didn't enjoy this much because of my mood or if I've become intolerant of certain stylistic quirks? Have I somehow gotten spoiled by writers like Jim Butcher and Scott Lynch?
I still like Remy as a character, and I enjoyed the bits involving Remy's dog, Marlowe, as always. I like the way the angels are described at times.
Topher
Dec 17, 2009 Topher rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: modernfantasy
2nd book in the series, following the life and adventures of an angel who walked away from Heaven after The War. He wasn't cast out - he just didn't like what he had become during The War, and he left. He's wandered the Earth since, as a human, trying to be human.
Penny
Mar 17, 2010 Penny rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really liked this book. I am hoping that Sniegoski can write more in this series faster, lol. The next one in the series is Where Angels Fear to Tread, published March 3, 2010.
Fangs for the Fantasy
Remy Chandler is recovering from the death of his wife and wondering at his place in the world – if he even has a place in the world. Especially since the Thrones have offered him a place back in heaven.

But the world doesn’t stop for a grieving angel. Several weapons have gone missing – weapons from every stage in history, each the very epitome of their kind and craftsmanship. They are the pitiless and they have power far beyond being devastating tools of destruction.

And other people certainly w
***Dave Hill
Oct 08, 2013 ***Dave Hill rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: text
RE-READ REVIEW (Oct 2013)

Remy's having problems holding onto his humanity, having lost his wife and let his inner Seraph out to play in the previous book. Unfortunately, dealing with an angelic scheme involving some metaphysically deadly weapons and the biggest jailbreak of all time doesn't help on either account.

What makes Remy an interesting character is, in fact, his human side. Unfortunately, we spend too much time in inhuman circumstances here, all of them complicated by Remy's ongoing (ind
Darcy
I found this book to be a little melancholy. Remy is still mourning the death of Madeline and at loose ends. It seems like he is questioning life and his place in it, a little amazing considering what he is and how long he has lived.

I loved all the flashbacks with Madeline, loved that we got a closer look into their relationship and why Remy felt the need to have a life with her knowing the outcome. I think that his life with Madeline made him more human, caused him to reach out more to other h
Kathy Davie
Jan 30, 2016 Kathy Davie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: paranormal
Based in Boston, this is the second in the Remy Chandler urban fantasy series about angels and free will, about a private investigator who is also a disappointed angel.

My Take
I do enjoy the storyline but the writing is so uneven. At first Sniegoski is writing the story well and then it's like he slips on the path down to a more juvenile level.

There's an underlying mystery running throughout these stories…of God not caring any longer, of having disappeared from Heaven, of leaving it in the hands
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 Karissa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is the second book in the Remy Chandler series by Sniegoski. Last I heard four books were sold in this series. The third one "Where Angels Fear to Tread" was released Mar. 2 2010. I liked this book more than the first one; it was more witty and the action scenes seemed tighter and more well written.

In this book Remy gets a call from an antique collector whose antique weapons have gone missing. Remy struggles to work on the case because he has been struggling with keeping his humanity (
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
Shelley aka Gizmo's Reviews
**Synopsis** Still mourning the loss of his wife, fallen angel Remy Chandler has immersed himself in investigating dangerous supernatural cases. His latest: the theft of a cache of ancient weaponry stolen from a collector who deals in antiquities of a dark and dubious nature. The weapons, Remy knows, were forged eons ago and imbued with unimaginable power. And if they fall into the wrong hands, they could be used to destroy not only Heaven but also Earth.

**Review** This is the second Remy Chandl
Ami
Short summary would be, there were few weapons missing from a home of a client, but these weapons were not ordinary. They were forged in Heaven and belonged to one and only, the first Fallen, Lucifer Morningstar. Remy must tried to find a way to track them before Hell broke loose.

Took a while to finish this one because I kept distracted with other things. I guess I just didn't wanted to finish it as quick. After book #1 where Remy dealt with Angel of Death gone missing, I thought what more could
Shawnie Nicole
Aug 20, 2015 Shawnie Nicole rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really want Remy and Remiel to find a common balance so they can both.. live I guess that is the right word. They do a tug of war for power at the moment craziest of times and it gets old really fast.
Either way I enjoyed book two. I was iffy what in the beginning but I'm glad I stuck with it. I am upset that Francis is gone, that was not nice of Sniegoski, not nice at all.
Audiobooks becoming unavailable from audible.com outside the US 1 3 Oct 12, 2015 02:06AM
  • Unperfect Souls (Connor Grey, #4)
  • Unleashed (Dog Days, #3)
  • Evil Dark (Occult Crimes Unit Investigation, #2)
  • Deader Still (Simon Canderous, #2)
  • A Devil in the Details (Jesse James Dawson, #1)
  • Deathwish (Cal Leandros, #4)
  • Managing Death (Death Works Trilogy #2)
  • Blood on the Water (Vampire Files, #6)
  • Bear Daughter
  • The Spy Who Haunted Me (Secret Histories, #3)
  • Mean Streets (Remy Chandler, #1.5; Greywalker, #3.5; Nightside, #9.5; The Dresden Files, #10.5)
  • Blood from Stone (Retrievers, #6)
THOMAS E. SNIEGOSKI is the author of more than two dozen novels for adults, teens, and children. His teen fantasy YA series Fallen was adapted into a trilogy of monstrously successful TV movies by ABC Family Channel. His other books for teens include Sleeper Code, Sleeper Agenda, and Force Majeure, as well as the upcoming series The Brimstone Network. The author's first adult novel, A Kiss Before ...more
More about Thomas E. Sniegoski...

Remy Chandler (7 books)
  • A Kiss Before the Apocalypse (Remy Chandler, #1)
  • Where Angels Fear to Tread (Remy Chandler, #3)
  • A Hundred Words for Hate (Remy Chandler, #4)
  • In the House of the Wicked (Remy Chandler, #5)
  • Walking In the Midst of Fire (Remy Chandler, #6)
  • A Deafening Silence In Heaven (Remy Chandler, #7)