Start by marking “The Parrot Talks in Chocolate (The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar #1)” as Want to Read:
The Parrot Talks in Chocolate (The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar #1)

The Parrot Talks in Chocolate (The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar #1)

3.65 of 5 stars 3.65  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  59 reviews
A mythical Hawaiian Tiki bar and its eclectic patrons help tell the story of a young man in love with Life. Tiwaka, the parrot, parlays chocolate covered nuts for words of wisdom and watches the wild and often mystical adventures unfold. You'll laugh, cry and insist on buying your plane tickets immediately, to Tiwaka's Tiki Bar & Grill.
Published April 3rd 2010 by Hehunakai Books (first published May 9th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Parrot Talks in Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Parrot Talks in Chocolate

Jeannie and Louis Rigod
I downloaded this book on my Kindle touch as it sounded like a nice tale and I wanted something gentle in between my murder mysteries. What I found was a vacation in words!

Mr. Peacock has an ability to draw a scene and send smells and temperatures and flavors with his talented word-smithing. To my delight, my vacation was in Hawaii.

The narrator is a young boy who grows into a man that bartends at the Tiwaka's Tiki Bar & Grill on one of the Hawaiian islands off of Oahu. The bartender's name i
P.M. Richter
Apr 20, 2011 P.M. Richter rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to P.M. by: Given from the Author as a gift
The Parrot Talks in Chocolate is like the fairytales I loved as a child, but this novel is for the grownups. Told in the first person, I suspect the author put much of his own history into the book and had the wisdom to know that he lived in a magical place. The images flow like discriptions in beautiful poetry and I was nostalgic for the years I lived in Hawaii. I laughed at the humerous antics of Tiwaka and cried over Ococ. This is a beautiful novel. A Tiki culture is represented that I wished ...more
DC
Aloha!

Have you come for a Coco Loco Moco? You haven't? Oh, you are here for The Parrot that Talks in Chocolate then? Yes? Ah, my friend, you have come just in time. Tiwaka has just left the last one to question him dumbfounded, with infinite wisdom pouring into his mortal mind.

No questions for the bird, you say, just here to watch? *smiles, while polishing a glass with a rag* Well, here's a question for you. Are you really thirsty?

... And so goes on the night, with our unnamed yet popular (and m
Beth
This book is a near-perfect beach read: a charming tall tale with just a hint of magical realism. There isn't much of a narrative here; the story consists mostly of simple vignettes about the tiki bar and its clientele. The animals (Tiwaka the parrot, Ococ the dog, and another I'll let you discover on your own) are truly the heart of the story; by contrast, many of the human characters--including the narrator--aren't even identified by name. The island of Maui is as much a character as any of th ...more
Valentina
This book is a wonder. From the moment I started I was caught in the salt spray of the Hawaiian air, the smell of pineapples and the feel of the sun pulsing against my skin. This is one of those few books where I feel that I want to be inside its pages.
The characters are what make the book what it is, even more than the setting. From the narrator, who is honest and lighthearted, to Tiwaka, the charming, loveable parrot who rules over the Tiki bar, to a waitress who might be more than she looks,
Everett Peacock
Dec 12, 2012 Everett Peacock rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Earthlings
Recommended to Everett by: Tiwaka the Parrot
Review Snippets:
(Goodreads.com and Amazon.com)

"...a near-perfect beach read"

"... I haven't quite woken up from the dreamy-state it put me in"

"The vivid descriptions in the book made me feel like I was right there watching the story unfold."

"Perfect blend of magic and humanity, coconuts and tropical cocktails."

"This is a beautiful novel."

"A must read to get you in the mood for a spiritual vacation."

"...a must for the nightstand to free oneself of the realities of life while reading this "bed-time
Christopher Gordon
Not yet finished this but so far it's a wonderful mystical tropical paradise vacation snap shot. Perfect evocative piece of writing for those suffering a long cold wet winter/spring. Will blow away the grey clouds and invite the tropical sun into your life. A must read to get you in the mood for a spiritual vacation.
Danie Cutter
This copy was received free for review. I try to avoid any other reviews before reading so any comments are my own views.

----

I want to visit :o(

Oddly enough I started this book while travelling and it didn't grab my attention as much as it did when I picked it up a few weeks later upon my return home. Maybe during my travels I was finding my own slice of heaven and didn't need the far-off dream (at least while I'm at home) that the book portrays.

It took me a while to get into almost the same as
Kitty Bullard
EVERETT PEACOCK'S "THE PARROT TALKS IN CHOCOLATE" (A REVIEW)

I was truly enchanted reading this story by Everett Peacock. It's not just the story of the life and times of a Hawaiian Tiki bar but a story of several lives all of which include family, friends, and even those short acquaintances we make along the way. I was intrigued from the very first page and I must say I still think the Parrot knows more than any give him credit for! The story was simply amazing and well-written leaving me wantin
Karen Fenton
This was a Goodreads win for me, and I was so happy to receive this book. I loved the story line in this tropical paradise of Maui, wish I would of found this Tiki Bar when I was there. The author had a perfect way of making you feel like you were right there with him, at his bar, and tasting his wonderful drink creations and asking Tiwaka questions so you could give him some candy. I was impressed with the friendship the parrot and the dog had together, but it was sad for me to read the ending ...more
Kristen Byers
Set in beautiful Hawaii, Tiwaka's is a certified authentic tiki bar. The bar's main attraction is Tiwaka himself, an old parrot with an extensive vocabulary who will answer patrons' questions in exchange for chocolate.

This was a quick and easy read for me. I fell in love with the book's cast of characters, especially Ococ, a dog who does everything backwards. Tiwaka, of course, adds flair to the story with his uncanny ability to read the mood of the bar and utter phrases accordingly.

I received a
Lisa
This book is not a genre or type that I would usually choose, but something, maybe the chocolate, attracted me to read this book and I am very glad I did. The author's writing style is very descriptive and made me feel like I was on a mini holiday at times, while at others I felt like I was definitely a "fly on the wall" enjoying the conversations and friendship of the bar staff and patrons.
Lori Henrich
When I saw the title I thought this was going to be very good. Alas it was not. I kept reading hoping it would get better but it didn't. Only reason I finished it was because I needed it for a challenge. Glad I hadn't paid for it. It wasn't bad. It just didn't have enough to keep me interested and wanting to keep reading. Kind of blah.
Earl Bayer
This is an easy summer read and likely the perfect beach book. I enjoyed it after some "heavier" books. It is a story that does make me interested in the author's other works that I will be trying soon. The Hawaiin references and jargon are not difficult to comprehend and I think it helped place me on the islands.
Cathy
This was a fun light read that had me dreaming of an escape. The vivid descriptions in the book made me feel like I was right there watching the story unfold. I enjoyed that each chapter was a short story however some left me wanting more information or follow-up. Here's hoping there's a sequel in the future....
Andrea
Who edited these books? Did anyone? So many errors that could have been solved by a simple proof-read. I thought the book was strange and disjointed and I was shocked to learn that there are at least two other books by this author. It had potential, but did not manage to live up to much of anything.
Lady Belinda
What a great book. The story was captivating, the characters were well developed and Tiwaka (the parrot) was hilarious. I will definitely be reading more books by Everett Peacock and the Hawaiian TIKI Bar.
Christopher Pinto
Easily one of my favorite books of all time. Perfect blend of magic and humanity, coconuts and tropical cocktails. For anyone who ever dreamed of living in paradise, this book's for you.
Tracy
Just a quick note to say ya just gotta read this book. It's magic & adventure & beauty ... I'm giving this book to friends for Christmas!
Patty
Cute book - kind of like chewing gum for your brain. Entertaining, but without any substance. Perfect beach read, I guess :)
Valerie
Couldn't resist - love the title - plus it was free for Kindle! I didn't know what to expect...light enjoyable summer read!
Alisa T
what a fun summer (albeit the end of summer) read! I will most likely be revisiting this on during our dreary Oregon winter.
Beveanne
feel good literature, if you love spider robinson and jimmy buffet you will at least like
parrot
Lisa
Cute story, light reading. I want to live there!
Everett Peacock
Jun 17, 2011 Everett Peacock rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Get both formats! eBook & paperback together!
Trina
Very down to earth book. I liked it a lot.
Kimberly Johnson
A dreamy, transporting book that pulls you in with the power of those magnificent Hawaiian waves.

I found myself more than a little envious of this magical world- and the occasional type-o was easily overlooked. If you appreciate the humor and unconditional love of animals, the humor and complicated love of people and the inexplicable beauty and magic of the tropics, you must read this book.

So convincing, I wanted to sit at the remote Tiki bar, drink my personalized Coco Loco Moco and commune w
Kim Cartwright
I love love loved this book!!!
Mary
Delightful book.
Kristal Cooper
This is a nice little story about a Hawaiian surfer dude who also tends bar at the local tiki lounge. My favorite part was the way scenes were described with a combination of island-native spirituality/sensibility and pidgin English.

Unfortunately, you can tell that the author is a haole because he doesn't include even the most common Native words (like "haole"). Also making the narrative a bit un-even is the fact that he occassionally slips into a very educated, philosophical voice that is less
  • Last Stop This Town
  • The Last Bookstore In America
  • Crossroads Road: A Novel
  • The Midget's House
  • Heir To The Everlasting
  • Ms America and the Offing on Oahu (Beauty Queen Mystery, #1)
  • Working It Out
  • Pirate Therapy and Other Cures
  • Deedee Divine's Totally Skewed Guide to Life
  • Malaika
  • The Skye in June
  • Flirting With Death (Assassins Anonymous - Step One)
  • Revenge Gifts (Revenge Gift Diaries #1)
they're here!...
"The Galactics"

With over 190,000 copies of his work downloaded, Everett Peacock has made a sensation of his style of magical realism.

Mr. Peacock was born on an island and continues the tradition living in Maui, Hawaii. Decades were spent living on a secluded Oahu, Hawaii beach, surfing, mountain biking, glider flying and throwing beach parties people still talk about.

When he ha
More about Everett Peacock...
Death by Facebook In the Middle of the Third Planet's Most Wonderful of Oceans: The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar Tiwaka Goes to Waikiki (The Life and Times of a Hawaiian Tiki Bar #3) Escaping the Magnificent Escape from Hanalei

“Happiness takes effort. You have to make yourself available to happiness. That is probably the best definition of faith that I can come up with.” 5 likes
“I craved something so deep, so passionate that it hurt to even think about it. Looking up at that first star, just now sparkling, happy in its dance through my atmosphere, I made my wish, my prayer, my making myself available.” 5 likes