Start by marking “Chief Cook and Bottle Washer” as Want to Read:
Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

Chief Cook and Bottle Washer (Travers Brothers #1)

3.71  ·  Rating Details ·  1,292 Ratings  ·  80 Reviews
Published October 5th 2009 by Smashwords (first published February 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Chief Cook and Bottle Washer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Chief Cook and Bottle Washer

Who Wants to Marry a Cowboy? by Abigail SharpeTexas Glory by Lorraine HeathWhat Price Paradise by Katherine AllredTexas Destiny by Lorraine HeathHis Secondhand Wife by Cheryl St.John
Love on the Range: Romance Novels Set on Ranches
225th out of 228 books — 94 voters
Delicious by Susan MallerySavor the Moment by Nora RobertsSweet Talk by Susan MalleryCan't Stand the Heat by Louisa EdwardsSweet Spot by Susan Mallery
Best Culinary Romance
90th out of 155 books — 219 voters

More lists with this book...

Paige
Dec 26, 2011 Paige rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: i-own, 2011-books, nook
a free nook book that was okay.

Emma Smith and Deke Travers don't exactly meet on the best terms when she runs into him during a midnight run to the store in the pouring rain. Throwing money at his feet, she makes a quick escape before he can ask too many questions.

Kelly
Jun 12, 2012 Kelly rated it it was ok
2.5/5 stars

My favorite thing about this book is the little kid Sammie Jo. The kid is 15 months old at the start of the book, and although it's tough to track the passage of time across the length of the book, I suspect the kid is about 17 months old at the end of the book.

I have a 3-year-old and a 16-month-old, so I was automatically drawn to Sammie Jo, and I really think Hestand nailed her portrayal of the toddler. Maybe I wouldn't have even noticed this sort of thing before I had kids, but it
LadyCalico
May 26, 2011 LadyCalico rated it liked it
An OK little romance, if you can suspend reality contact and ignore inconsistencies. On the plus side the characters were human, likable, and had a lot to offer each other, so the author paid enough attention to character development, to have us rooting for the two hard-headed main characters to get together. However, the book was generally formulaic and gave the impression of being hastily thrown together. The whole overdone misunderstanding-carried-to-ridiculous-lengths plot was handled ...more
Robin
Jun 28, 2011 Robin rated it liked it
I have to say this was a good book but I've definitely read better. Course there was the classic Heroine\Hero isn't able to tell the Hero\Heroine the truth but this time she had what can be considered a good reason. When the Hero (Deke) finds out the truth about Emma he's not mad because the reason she didn't tell him the truth is because she was afraid that if Sammie Jo's Paternal Grandparents' found her they'd take her away. We learn fairly early on in the book that her cousin Kate had ...more
Barb
Dec 14, 2014 Barb rated it it was amazing
Emma Smith hadn't been straight with her new boss, but he hadn't given her much of a chance to explain. Trapped in her own lies and uncertainties Emma was running in fear of losing her baby. Deke Travers, oldest son on the 4 Bar None Ranch, needed one thing to make his life more peaceful, his brothers to settle down and get with the business of ranching. There was only one solution, marry them off to country girls. And Emma will be the first bride on the 4 Bar None Ranch.
A story that scans the h
Mel Auslan Osborne
Ok so this story goes Emma is running away from her past with 'her' baby in toe...... she ends up in a small podunk town.... runs into our main 'hero' Deke literally. He gets angry at her so she throws money at him to shut him up....... We skip a few months and they meet again in Deke's local cafe/restaurant where Deke notices she is about to lose her job as the cook to the previous employee (a local)so offers her a job........ she does some lying (usually by omission).... They end up in a ...more
Donna Hatridge
This book was a heart warming story about Emma Smith and Deke Travers.

Deke Travers needs to hire a new cook for the family Ranch. Emma Smith is the new cook at the town dinner who's about to lose her job when the old cook shows up. Making a quick decision Deke hires Emma to cook at the ranch, thinking that if one of his brothers takes a liking to her they may settle down and stay on the ranch.

The Travers brothers and their father are a warm, hard working family that make Emma feel right at home
Carla
Dec 19, 2011 Carla rated it really liked it
I really did enjoy this book. I think the title sucks but I read it anyway and was pleasantly surprised at how well written the story is. I did not find it predictable and what girl does not love a cowboy, who loves his family and his land in that order. When Sammie Jo called him daddy for the first time I could not help but smile. I am considering reading the remaining stories in the Travers Brothers series.
Caro
May 09, 2013 Caro rated it liked it
Shelves: contemporary, own
This was a pretty good book. I loved the characters and the plot was good. I would definitely like to read more in this series. This was sweet, a little steamy, a bit stressful, fun, and had me smiling and 'biting my own nails' some. The ending was perfect allowed breath to rush from lungs and had a misty moment of relief and happiness. I wouldn't mind reading this again. This would be a good rainy day read or for something to cuddle up with. Enjoy
Stephanie
Oct 06, 2016 Stephanie rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book. All the characters are likable and all down to earth.
Cathy
Feb 15, 2012 Cathy rated it it was amazing

A couple months later, he finds her working at a local cafe. When he learns the owner is in a bind over her job when her old chief comes back for his job, he steps in and offers her a job at the family rance as a cook, not giving her the time to explain her little
Lady Raven RAVE!
May 22, 2011 Lady Raven RAVE! rated it really liked it
Give me a book with cowboys, sexy hot brothers and a sweet woman like Emma I'm in. This story was a good sweet read both characters left your heart melting. The minute the story start for me when Deke and Emma met made you want to keep reading. Emma is this sweet sweet woman that is taking care of little Sammie Jo, she has secrets that she is trying to protect and Deke what a hunk, he was that guy that could leave you melting the way he thought about Emma and watched her in the beginning I liked ...more
Kathy Jo
Aug 10, 2016 Kathy Jo rated it it was ok
I wasn't expected much from Chief Cook and Bottle Washer. It was cute but at times it just seemed to drag. I'll admit to skimming some of the wordier parts that really had nothing to do with the story. Yes it was only 153 pages but at times it felt like 300. It had the typical storyline of white lies, misunderstandings and no communication. Sometimes that storyline just gets old for me. Honesty is always the best policy people! Especially when you've already withheld information and have been ...more
Danielle Zwissler
Nov 20, 2012 Danielle Zwissler rated it really liked it
This was a pretty cute romance. Of course in any romance you have a few things that bother you. But overall I loved it. I thought the Travers brothers were great. I loved the dad. I thought it was super cute when they brought the baby over and they all just fell in love with her. The only thing that really irritated me was how she didn't tell anyone that Sammi Jo wasn't hers. I mean, she had the note from her cousin, I guess it just didn't make sense. But we all panic sometimes. I loved the ...more
Rhonda
Feb 10, 2012 Rhonda rated it really liked it
I liked Chief Cook and Bottle washer its a quick simple romance story.
Deke Travers is the oldest brother and in charge of the family ranch, taking care of his dad and trying to get two youngest to stay out of trouble and help. Deke decides he needs to get his brothers married.
Emma is working at the cafe in town but is about to loose her job hires her to become housekeeper and cook on his ranch. Thinks she would be perfect for youngest brother.
Emma shows up at ranch with a baby SammyJo. The guys
Claire
Apr 12, 2012 Claire rated it really liked it
I got this free from Amazon.

I love love love the title of this book. What a silly, cute, different way to title a book. It makes me laugh every time I read it.
This was a fun, cute and quick read. I liked Emma and Deke. I thought Hestand did a good job with explaining the characters thoughts and how as humans we convince ourselves into something.
The twist was a little different but not too different that it was crazy.
The ending was short and abrupt but I found that I liked the way the author w
Voirey Linger
Jun 11, 2011 Voirey Linger rated it it was ok
Cute story, entertaining enough to keep me reading. A bit predictable and it relies on the "lie by omission" conflict, which I really don't like. Still, the characters were interesting and mostly likable.

Some of their behaviors felt off. There were some inconsistencies that bugged me, such as the heroine's hair changing color, and grammar and punctuation need fixed. There isn't much variation in tension throughout the book. It read very flat.

Overall, a pleasant and engaging read but not overly
Emmie
Sep 23, 2014 Emmie rated it liked it
My review:

A very nice feel good book. I was smiling all the way through!

Synopsis:
Clarke
The way the characters acted you would think it takes place in another time... I know Texas is a unique place but really? The story was cute but not wowing. The ending was a bit of a flop. The characters were a bit annoying. Also there was way too much name dropping. The author mentioned way too many ppl I understand you want to setup characters for other book but at some point enough is enough. There are better books out there.
Mary Aquino
Sep 05, 2016 Mary Aquino rated it really liked it
Cute romance novel
Katy Beth Mckee
Emma has a lot on her plate and is fearful of everything being taken away from her. She realizes her feelings for Deke are getting pretty serious but she must but Sammie Jo first. Then Deke steps in to "help" and Emma is sure everything is going to be ruined. I like the way the story built and the suspense of what might happened. And even though the ending was expected it was still very special.
Maria
Apr 25, 2012 Maria rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, read-more-by
I bought a Nook in order to try more new authors easily and it has been champion for that. Out of the 30 or more ebooks I have read so far (I've had the Nook two weeks and most of the ebooks seem to be short), there have only been about four I'd like to read more by. Rita Hestand is one of them. This book is not only sweet, it is well-written, has good dialogue, wonderful characters, and a story line that is believable. It was a very enjoyable, if light, read.
Tira
May 29, 2012 Tira rated it it was amazing
Cheif cook and bottle washer was a quick read, it was fun, sweet and at times i had a small smile on my lips. But i really fell in love with Deke and the rest of the travers boys.

I loved the fact that they all cared and looked out for each other, and new what they all needed even if Deke put the future of the ranch ahead of the future of his love life. But he soon realised what his life was missing even if clint had to spell it out to him.

But i highly recommend the book, it's amazing.
Marcella
The first thing that annoyed me was that everybody seemed to have the same conversation twice. I also wondered whether these characters were supposed to be caricatures. Deke and his brothers certainly aren't hero material in my eyes, far from it.Deke accuses Emma of deception when he was the one who silenced her time and again when she wanted to tell him something. When he wonders whether she can still cook, just because she is a mother, it became a dnf for me.
Very, very glad this was free.
Greentea
Jun 03, 2014 Greentea rated it it was ok
It was written short but I was drown into the story immediately. It's a light, fun read, and the best part was the romance wasn't rushed at all.
Emma has an outstanding heart. She got into too much trouble to take care of a baby. And for that, all hail you for having a selfless heart. It's plot is predictable, but what can I say, sometimes my heart strings are pulled by a simple story such as this.
Poonam
Oct 17, 2012 Poonam rated it really liked it
Cute story!Kept me awake at night trying to finish the entire book.Love Deke Travers and his sexy hot brothers too.Sammie Jo is such a sweet baby and it touched me when she called Deke 'Daddy'. I like the romance between Deke and Emma.All in all it was a sweet romance.Love it!Hope to read more of her books too.:)
PepsiGirl
Oct 03, 2013 PepsiGirl rated it it was ok
Shelves: cowboys-ranchers
This sounded good but alas another hairbrained idiot that doesn't deserve the stud. Is this supposed to be something I want to see happen? I really couldn't stand her and I really didn't buy into their crazy supposed love story. The stupid, young, bad decision making, immature woman gets the wealthy gorgeous guy, yeah that's just what he's looking for, a project. Yeah right!
JP
Feb 03, 2016 JP rated it really liked it
This book was really great. I wasn't actually the biggest fan of the Western theme, but I grew to love it. The story was sweet, sad, a little infuriating because of all the missunderstandings, and elating at the same time since it could be all resolved. Love how it turned out! I think I'm going to read the next story too in this series!
Sassy Beta Reading & Review
Pretty good book for the most part. I would like to actually see a wee bit of romance/action which this didn't seem to have. Went ahead and purchased the other 3 in the series and I hope they have a bit more substance to them. Good for a free read.
Nell
Jul 11, 2011 Nell rated it it was ok
This book has the ugliest cover on the planet which put me off getting it for quite a while. It was an ok read, I'm a sucker for a cowboy story. However one good conversation would have cleared away the conflict which was all external so it didn't really deliver.
  • Bridleton
  • Bootscootin' Blahniks (The Bootscootin' Books #1)
  • A Chance In Time (Native American Romance #0.5)
  • Change of Heart
  • Love in Bloom
  • Cowboy Dad (The State of Parenthood #3)
  • Love Transposed
  • A Very Special Delivery
  • Destiny by Design
  • Wild Wild Widow
  • Forgotten Father
  • The Bride's Baby
  • Once a Cowboy (The Cowboys, #3)
  • A Lesson in Passion (Lesson, #1)
  • Lone Star Trouble
  • Brenin
  • I Witch
  • Second Sight Dating
By now most of you know that Rita Hestand is from Texas, that she's a widow, a mother, and a grandmother. You know that she was an only child, and that she traveled the US as a child extensively. What made her a writer was the fact that she was an only child growing up in an age when a kid had to use their imagination to entertain themselves. You probably know that she acted out her first books in ...more
More about Rita Hestand...

Travers Brothers (4 books)
  • Courting Abby