Start by marking “Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Old MacDonald Had a Wo...

Lisa Shulman

Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop

Together with the other farm animals, Old MacDonald is building a surprise for the babies on the farm. Saw, drill, chisel, file, screwdriver, and paintbrush are operated by cat, goat, chicken, pig, cow, and dog. With a zztt zztt here and a tap tap there, there’s a miniature toy farm being made—just for the baby animals. For any preschooler who likes tools and making things ...more
Published November 18th 2004 by Puffin Books (first published September 30th 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop

June
Sep 30, 2011 June rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: librarians, parents and teachers
I recently used this at Toddler Time and Story time. I had forgotten how much fun it is, with all the sounds, and I include actions. It went over extremely well. Another classic. 9/26/11

Used for my Farm Story Time. One of the little boys really got into it and most of the children joined in on the "E I E I O."
Kendra
Oct 09, 2014 Kendra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
LOVE that Old MacDonald is a girl, and the use of sounds for tools. Really fun and makes a great read aloud. Want to find an app with tool sounds to pair with it.
Michelle McBeth
Old MacDonald had a workshop e-i-e-i-o! One animal after another comes into Mrs. MacDonald's workshop with a different tool hoping to help with her projects. As a team, using a saw, chisel, drill and more, they create something beautiful.

The illustrations appear to be created with paint. They are colorful and beautifully detailed including expressions on the animals' faces. There is a two page spread in the front and the back of a tool wall. Each tool is labeled including a bevel edge chisel and
Becky
First sentence: Old MacDonald had a shop, e-i-e-i-o! And in her shop she had a saw, e-i-e-i-o! With a zztt zztt here and a zztt zztt there, here a zztt, there a zztt, everywhere a zztt zztt. Old MacDonald had a shop, e-i-e-i-o.

Premise/plot: Old MacDonald and other animals from the farm are building something, and they are using lots of different tools. But what are they building? Can you guess before the big reveal?

My thoughts: Loved this one from the very beginning, and I do mean the beginning
The Brothers
Sung to the tune of "Old MacDonald had a Farm" this little story is of a sheep who has a woodshop and with each verse a new farm animal shows up to use another tool and make another sound (i.e. saw = zztt zztt here, hammer = tap tap there). Gets a little tedious because each tool/sound is repeated in each verse as it is added. Dex (2 y.o.) loved it and wanted me to read it ad nauseam.

Nice illustrations of animals using tools.

Read this again now that Dex is 6yo. Not having to read it over and ove
Kelly
My preschool students LOVE this book and request to read (and reread) it regularly. We first read it after working with a carpenter to create a "story chair" and used the book as an opportunity to learn more about common carpentry tools and their uses. The students love the book's play on the familiar "Old MacDonald" rhyme and I love the subtle safety lesson (when goat stops paying attention, he hammers his thumb). And we all love that the animals' cooperative efforts foster the creation of a lo ...more
Katie Fitzgerald
Read at Toddler Lap Time on 5/3/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Preschool Story Time on 5/3/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Rec. Center on 5/15/13:

Read at Preschool Story Time on 9/20/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Elaine
A great twist from the original version of Old MacDonald had a farm. The farm animals work throughout the day singing along and about with the tools being used. The book is excellent to use with props. In this case, simple pictures of tools (hidden at first), a display board and words showing the name of the tools. After each tool, I asked a child to guess where the tool is located under the word. Good for preschool audiences who like to be entertained.
Vilo
Apr 06, 2013 Vilo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s
Old MacDonald is a "she" and she and her helpers use different tools to help build a . . . well, it's a surprise. I love Old MacDonald versions because E and I are the hardest letters I teach. This book also introduces woodshop tools. For my Hispanic preschool clients, enough of the tools are familiar to get them excited. For other children it might be a fascinating peek into an unfamiliar world.
Miss Pippi the Librarian
Old MacDonald isn't a farmer, it's a sheep! The story (song) isn't about animals on the farm, it's about tools!

It's a clever twist on a classic song. The farm animals use different tools to build a toy farm. The introduction of a wide range of tools is great. This tale lends itself to a flannel board easily as well as offers opportunities for audience participation.

Theme: Aprons
Additional themes: woodworking, tools, farm, building/construction

Reviewed from a library copy.
Duane
May 11, 2010 Duane rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice twist to the usual "Old Macdonald" song we all know. This book worked great as a preschool storyhour presentation. With great illustrations, children can follow along with the song easily. This book uses the different sounds of tools instead of animals as it's focus, and the kids loved it, especially when you include arm motions to go along with it. A great book for any library collection.
Sara
Dec 27, 2013 Sara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Old MacDonald Had a Woodshop is a fun version of the Old Macdonald had a Farm book, except instead of animal sounds the reader gets to make all the sounds of the different tools. My students adored this book and loved making all the different sounds, singing along from the first page.

I recommend this book for kids 3-8
Kathy Ellen Davis
Jan 03, 2013 Kathy Ellen Davis rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
So cute!
My dad is a carpenter, so I would have loved this book as a child!
I'll probably get it for my niece so Grandpa can read it to her :)

Haiku Review:

This Old MacDonald
Has some tools and uses them
for a nice surprise!
Emi
Nov 18, 2013 Emi rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of our favorite "Old MacDonald" themed books. This was a repeat read by both our kids, and my husband especially enjoyed reading it to the kids. The picture are detailed and great. Good for both girls and boys.
Alfajirikali
Jun 15, 2008 Alfajirikali rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a refreshing spin on the Old MacDonald song. Old MacDonald is a ewe who has her own wood shop. The story points out various wood working tools and their associated sounds, nicely illustrated to boot.
Read  Ribbet
Add this to your song parody collection as Old MacDonald (now a sheep) invites the rest of the farm animals into his wood shop to create a special project. Lots of good sound words and the correct names of lots of wood tools in this clever adaptation.
Becky Shaknovich
Feb 24, 2014 Becky Shaknovich rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice way to teach kids about tools and have fun making sounds! I love books that There's alot of stuff going on in the pictures - lots to talk about. I like that Old MacDonald is a she in this story. A woman (or a ewe, in this case) can run a woodshop!
Sylvester
5* art
5* song revision

Squirt LOVES this. Talks about all the tools, laughs at the goat who hits his hoof with a hammer, and sings sings sings. A very well done revision. The fact that the animals are building a toy farm ties everything up neat.
Tricia
Another twist on Old MacDonald, this one is on the farm but in the woodshop--and rather than animal sounds, the tools are the hook. Children will be pleasantly surprised by the end result. Can sing it...not sure if will try in Boogie Woogie or not.
Katherine VanderSluis
A whimsical variation on the classic tune, with tool sounds rather than animal noises. Great for interactive participation, whether with a group of students, or just on child on your lap.
Aleyda Sanchez
Nov 01, 2015 Aleyda Sanchez rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Perfect for preschoolers
Shelves: childrens
C loved this
Ranea
Dec 05, 2015 Ranea rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great singing book for 0-2 storytime.
Corey
Sep 27, 2014 Corey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Just read this book to my kindergarten music class this week - very cute and fun. My boys especially liked identifying the tools and all my kids were doing the motions and enjoying the fun sounds.
Erin
A nice twist on the classic song with a female sheep. A fun read aloud.
Marie
Mar 29, 2013 Marie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
So cute!
Rachel Hoffman
Good for younger kids. Goes along with the song so it will be easier for them to follow. Could be used for what different tools use, or other thing one might find in a shop.
Kim
Jul 19, 2013 Kim rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: jt-s-books
JT enjoyed this book immensely. He seemed to prefer singing the book instead of reading it. He even noticed the little mouse throughout the book that was cleaning.
Aaliyah
Jan 12, 2014 Aaliyah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this story! Nice spin off to the original song, "Old MacDonald." Very cute! :)
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »