A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What

A Resilient Life: You Can Move Ahead No Matter What

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  132 ratings  ·  24 reviews
"It makes little difference how fast you can run the 100 meters when the race is 400 meters long. Life is not a sprint; it is a distance run, and it demands the kind of conditioning that enables people to go the distance."--Gordon MacDonald
Running Strong
Whose heart doesn't leap at the sight of a beautifullyconditioned runner, effortlessly gliding along, stride-bystride, mi...more
Published April 4th 2006 by Nelson Books (first published February 29th 2000)

David Meldrum
Parts of me want to dismiss a book like this.

The parts of me that are inclined to legalism rather than grace see a potential point of confusion here, as the author tells us the practices, the qualities, the relationships, the heart-attitudes that build a life-time of Christian resilience. It would be easy to mistake this, then as a list of what I must do in my own strength. Best avoided, then. Out of sight, out of mind. Safer for all of us.

The parts of me that exude a snobbish disregard for se...more
Chantelle Erickson
I picked up this book during a season of feeling defeated and aimless. I believe this book helped me get back on track after my husband and I resigned from a ministry position. It just so happened that I read it before I learned of a miscarriage and this book helped me to see that difficult time as a season to gain wisdom from, etc. I am a runner, so I really connected to the author because of his memoir entangled in the story of being a competitive runner in his college years. I particularly li...more
Wallace
This is my third Gordon MacDonald book, and perhaps the one that I 'enjoyed' the most, as I read it in a matter of 8 days!

MacDonald's theme is living the resilient life, based on Hebrews 12:1-3, with the themes and ideas, both biblical, personal and practical, woven around his youthful experiences with his running coach, Marvin Goldberg.

It was a thoughtful and creative thinking read for me, and overall I really liked it. He groups his shortish chapters around a principle idea, such as, Part I:...more
The book A Resilient Life by Gordon Macdonald is about possessing and maintaining spiritual qualities that will help individuals persevere in adversity. I just want to say that this book was a fantastic read! The author highlights the value of having been coached in his life, and therefore writes in the perspective of coaching everyone who will read his book. He says, “In the great race of life, there are some Christ-followers who stand out from all the rest…They seem to possess these spiritual...more
Harvey
Oct 15, 2012 Harvey added it
“It makes little difference how fast you can run the 100 meters when the race is 400 meters long. Life is not a sprint; it is a distance run, and it demands the kind of conditioning that enables people to go the distance.” — Gordon MacDonald

"Gordon MacDonald, a sixty-something pastor, offers a lifetime of wisdom in "A Resilient Life." Freely admitting that he was born with a "quitters gene," he credits the influence of his high school cross-country and track coach with helping him onto the road...more
Brent
This book read like many leadership-style books, containing a laundry list of traits that we should adopt for our lives. And I struggled to find the connection between many of these core traits and Resiliency. Plus, I have a predisposition against MacDonald's overuse of athlete metaphors. However, I still treasure the author's original classic, 'Ordering Your Private World'.
Thomas Kinsfather
Reading A Resilient Life feels like a sagely grandfather sitting across from you and sharing his treasure of wisdom. As a young man, I appreciated the chapter on the questions you ask at different stages of life. The running metaphor didn't add much to the book for me. MacDonald's thoughts and reflections were worth their wait in gold.
Gary B
Not a bad book, but not so much about developing or creating resilience as characteristics of people who Gordon believes are resilient. Some of the material was helpful, and there are a number of quotable quotes. Despite never having been an 'athlete', I found his analogies to running easy to follow.
Paul
I read this book at a time when I felt like giving up. It inspired me to endure and be resilient and helped me through.
It's a good book for individuals who were involved in sports as the author uses a lot of analogies with his high school track career.
Patti
Gordon MacDonald is one of my favorite Christian authors. He is not on the popular list now. While a Protestant, he has read the Catholic classics and incorporates them into his books. This book is really good. I would recommend all of his books.
Heidi
This was pretty good. I'd recommend it if you think you're a bit lost in your Christian journey at the moment, and need some focus. But I'd read it along with John Eldredges' "Waking the Dead" in order to get some balance.
Emily
Of course, I totally identified with the running metaphors. I read this as a devotional and it was a good set of reminders of how your life should be shaped. I started this book when my life motivation seemed low.
John Williams
great book. he basically goes thru the book and says what it takes to persevere in our walks with jesus. the chapters are short but what he says is impactful. this is not max lucado fluff. a lot of runner analogies.
Tj
a very solid book that has a lot of good points. but the most compelling aspect of the book is the fact that it instills in you the desire to live a resilient life to the very end.
Derek Brent
I absolutely loved this book. It challenged me in many different areas of my Spiritual life. This is a book I will be reading multiple times for years to come.
Paul
This ministered to me greatly when I was ready to give up on my Master's Degree. It helped that he talked of being a runner in high school and I could relate.
Kathie
I found this book inspiring at a time when I really needed perspective. It has really helped me to get motivated and to see my life more positively.
Richard Edwards
It is a good book to realize how to progress past disappointments in life. I would not consider it a self-help book for some one who is depressed.
Graham
I wrote a page of notes - each chapter is devoted to some part of life. A book well worth digesting.
Becky
appreciated the sport analogies. loved his heart and how he loves people.
Emily
Great book! Almost makes me wish I ran track for the life lessons.
Dale Nolan
I absolutely loved this book. Highly recommended!
Lon Martin
Another winner...great read!
Jackie
this is a fabulous book! i recommend it for anyone feeling stuck in life that wants a challenge. i could spend years applying pieces of this book in my life.
Annette
Annette marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Justin Edgar
Justin Edgar marked it as to-read
Jun 12, 2014
Gordon MacDonald has been a pastor and author for over forty years. For many years he pastored Grace Chapel in Lexington, Massacusetts and continues to serve as Pastor Emertius. He has also provided leadership to influential ministries such as Intervarsity Christian Fellowship, which he served as President for three years, and World Relief, which he currently serves as Chairman. Gordon’s best-sell...more
More about Gordon MacDonald...
Ordering Your Private World Who Stole My Church?: What to Do When the Church You Love Tries to Enter the Twenty-First Century Going Deep: Becoming a Person of Influence Rebuilding Your Broken World Restoring Your Spiritual Passion