The Greatest Battle: The Battle For Moscow 1941 - 42

The Greatest Battle: The Battle For Moscow 1941 - 42

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  225 ratings  ·  34 reviews
The battle for Moscow was the biggest battle of World War II -- the biggest battle of all time. And yet it is far less known than Stalingrad, which involved about half the number of troops. From the time Hitler launched his assault on Moscow on September 30, 1941, to April 20, 1942, seven million troops were engaged in this titanic struggle. The combined losses of both sid...more
Published 2008 by Aurum Press (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about The Greatest Battle, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Greatest Battle

Walker
Putin and his KGB cronies are trying to replicate the Soviet Empire through military action taken against weak neighbors while describing USSRs 1989 collapse as a great moral tragedy.
This marvelous book sheds light on what another Russian tyrant did in 1941 to save his skin: throw any and all conscripted soldiers at the invaders. Stalin lost 1.7 MILLION men in this one battle but Moscow was saved so that he could continue to be reponsible for the deaths of 25 MILLION of his Soviet countrymen.
Th...more
Marcus
This was a very interesting book for a World War II historian like me. Most of the material was recently declassified by the the former Soviet Union. As Russia won the Great War against Germany, they paint a very rosy picture of how Russians united to face the German threat. The truth is a bit more mixed. While, thankfully, the Red Army won, it was a much closer thing than history portrays. Stalin made numerous blunders that nearly handed Moscow to the Wehrmacht, it was only the massive sacrific...more
Felipe Borges
Despite of being a very interesting chapter of WWII, the author's partiality against the Soviet Union can be considered pure anti-communist propaganda. I wasn't expecting a so 'Stalin-centric' report, which propagates common misconceptions about the Soviet regime.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not defending Stalin or the URSS. But the author insists to perpetuate an idea of generalized terror whereupon the soviet people would be 'afraid of their leaders' on a daily basis. Besides, it insists to argue f...more
Paul Pessolano
This one is for the historian, and anyone interested in the Second World War. Nagorski gives the reader a differnet look into the Battle of Moscow. Most of us, when we think of the clash between Hitler and Stalin, usually look to the Battle of Stalingrad. I was totally amazed in finding out that the Battle of Moscow was "the biggest battle of all time". Seven million troops, both German and Russian, were engaged in this battle. The combined losses on both sides were 2.5 million, 2 million being...more
Tripp
When you call a book the Greatest Battle, you would expect that the book would tell the story of, well, a battle. I suppose if you want to get metaphorical this book is about a sort of struggle, but not a military one. Rather it is about the Russian's people struggle to get a war won while Stalin was leading the country. The lopsided emphasis of the narrative makes the subtitle Stalin, Hitler, and the Desperate Struggle for Moscow That Changed the Course of World War II, all the more inappropria...more
Perry Whitford
Generally ignored by prosperity, certainly considered secondary to Stalingrad when remembering the German clashes with Russia during Operation Barbarossa, in his introduction Nagorski calls the battle for Moscow "arguably the most important battle of WWII and inarguably the largest battle between two armies of all time" (7 million fought, up to 2.5 killed or injured).
Certainly the incredible cost of human life that resulted from one madman's attempt to conquer a continent and another sociopath's...more
Dan
Dec 15, 2007 Dan rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: serious fans of world war ii and 20th century history
The basic outline of Nagorski's story isfamiliar if you've read a general history of World War II: the German invasion of the Soviet Union in 1941, the collapse of the Red Army, the calamitous misjudgments on both sides, the desperate fight for the Soviet capital. Nagorski uncovered details of the struggle that are new to most Western readers and a departure from the official Soviet story of an unwaveringly stalwart defense; in fact, as the Germans arrived on the city's outskirts, the capital fe...more
Davis
A revealing look at World War II on the Eastern Front between Hitler's Germany and Stalin's Russia based on documents released after the fall of the Berlin wall. If ever you were looking for a clash between two supremely evil leaders, this would be the story of all stories. I'm sure everyone is aware of Hitler's atrocities. However, Stalin could be considered just as brutal and sadistic. The difference being Stalin came to fight on our side (or we fought on his side). Without his involvement, th...more
Mark
For a student of military history, I keep finding out things I didn't know. For WW2, I've had an American's typical understanding that focuses on the Western Front (and Pacific Theater), knowing only vaguely about the cataclysm occurring on the Eastern Front. This book focuses on the central part of that conflict, Nazi Germany's push towards the heart of the Soviet Union. It covers the battle, but spends more time on the broader political and social history of that time. Hitler's boldness...and...more
Vishank
One of the greatest work of history about World War II. It unfolds the various secrets and real life incidents that speaks to itself about the two peculiar dictators of all time and their military leadership. Its a collection of various interviews of people who were involved or seen this one of the biggest disastrous battle of Moscow. Author has compiled it as a research work on World War II, though its more of a Russian point of view and about how Stalin lay down his human soldiers like waves o...more
Jpp
Andrew Nagorski a choisi d'écrire sur une bataille qui marqua le premier échec de la Blitzkrieg hitlérienne, une bataille dont les enjeux militaires mais surtout politiques furent considérables. On regrettera énormément le parti pris absolu de l'auteur qui passe tellement de pages à démontrer l'incompétence voire la bêtise et surtout l'horreur avilissante de Staline que l'on ne parvient plus à comprendre comment l'Armée Rouge a réussi là où les armées française et anglaises avaient si lamentable...more
Nichole
k, I did something that no graduatin senior in high school would ever do: I read this AFTER graduating from High School! :D but I'd have to say it was very good and the research was incredible! I actually learned some things that was NEVER taught in school or in textbooks. I finally learned the turning point of WWII, and also why Hitler and Stalin became who they were during the course through WWII. I wish the stuff written in here was taught in school but oh well. But yeah, I really liked it. w...more
John
Wow, this one was amazing. It really shows just how near-run a thing Operation Barbarossa was for the Wehrmacht. Before reading this book, I believed that Stalingrad was the single most important battle on the Eastern front. However, this book shows in stunning detail just how great a catastrophe it would have been if the Germans had taken Moscow, and just how likely their winning the war would have been. Very vividly written, at times, when describing the descending winter, it makes you shiver.
Dan
This book has less to do with the military movements during the battle for Moscow during WWII, and more to do with what was happening everywhere besides the battle front that influenced the battle.

Through interviews, journals and recently released documents, Naorski creates an interesting look into the USSR during war time. I hope that Nagorski is writing a book that looks at the USSR with the same depth and humanity beyond this single battle. That would be an even better read.
John Setear
If you know very little about World War II, then this book would be a nice introduction to a crucial battle on the most important front. But if you know the outlines of the conflict and the battle, then I do not recommend the book. There are some nice interviews with survivors, and a chapter on a one-day panic in Moscow of which I had not heard, but otherwise, this was very familiar ground. And it does only a passable job of analyzing why the Germans failed to take Moscow.
James
Better than the average WW2 book,
some new details.

Hitler says he diverted troops from the surge to Moscow to secure the natural resources in the Ukraine.

The author fails to point out that it would take several years to restore those to productivity and this contradicts Hitlers expectation that the USSR would be conquered in 4 months.

So those resources wouldn't be needed for the Russian war.

Fortunately, Hitler made more mistakes than Stalin, so he lost.
Tom Schulte
I get it:

1. Stalingrad, as bad as it was for Paulos and the German 6th Army, is a sideshow to the Battle of Moscow and has been in a sense overhyper since Hitler's original monomania. Ditto for Leningrad.

2. Between two armies underequipped and misled by their megalomaniacal psychopath leaders, bet on the more warmly clothed defenders.

3. German tendencies to terrorize potential collaborators only works out for a little while.
Kevin
What was the deadliest battle of World War 2? Quickly! Stalingrad? The Battle of the Bulge? The landings on Normandy? All wrong. It was the Battle of Moscow. Millions died, wounded or captured. Colossal mistakes on both sides. Germans fighting throughout that first Russian winter without being dressed for that occasion. But - this is not interesting. The battle maybe, but the book - no.
Bruce
Well-researched history of the Battle of Moscow (late 1941 to late 1942) between the Wehrmacht and the Red Army. The author interviewed many participants and had access to government documents that became available after the collapse of the USSR. He debunks the official Soviet view of the battle as a glorious victory by patriots. Stalin and Hitler were birds of the same feather.
Sergei Nemirovsky
This book provides a very thorough account of one of the most overlooked, but crucial episodes of the WW2, including several years of pre-history that led to it. It gives you a new appreciation for the horror of the dictatorships that the two maniacs at the top managed to build in Germany and the USSR.
Jeannie Williams
This is brilliantly written, succinct and eye opening book on the attempt by Hitler to take over Moscow. It was a catostrophic event and greatly weakened the aggressive Nazi war machine.

Stalin and Hitler were ruthless, insane commanders. They slaughtered so mnay of their own troops.
Gerry
I enjoyed this book and the perspective the author brought forth on his work. It was both educational and insightful. This book should be read with others that cover greater vasts of detail. Nagorski is easy to read, easy to follow, and makes the history of the time flow well.
Ben
I never knew that the battle of Moscow was the largest land battle ever conducted in human history. It is hard to believe that this battle is so over looked in the history books. I learned so much about WW2, and the leaders behind it.
Peter
Jun 26, 2009 Peter rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Peter by: "New York Times"
Shelves: non-fiction
Engaging, lucid recounting of actors (great and small), events and lasting implication of the 1941 Battle of Moscow. Unlike many WW II histories, the sacrifices of the Russian people--soldier and civilian--are recounted.
David Brown
This is a book, I felt, for an experienced historian. For the lay and lazy militarian historian such as myself although an extensive use of primary sources makes for good history it can make for a poor narrative.
Leocooper0818
Very informative. I learned a lot about Joseph Stalin and the biggest battle of WWII. I had very little knowledge of this before I read the book and did not know the Battle for Moscow was the biggest battle.
Tomlikeslife
Not the best war book I've ever read but it did fill in some gaps on my knowledge of the Eastern Front in WWII. The author spent too much time talking about the politics and not enough on the actual battle.
Teszner
An objective account of the Moscow battle. Through dozens of interviews with eyewitnesses, the book allows to look at the battle from a different point of view than Soviet propaganda.
Jacob
This is a very good book. It tells the story of the Battle of Moscow in the larger context of WW 2, the lead up to the war and, a little bit of the consequences of the war.
David Carraturo
Amazing story of how Germany was at the doorstep of Moscow and stimied. So much thankfully went wrong for the Nazi's and the world is better for it. A very good read.
  • Incredible Victory: The Battle of Midway
  • A Soldier's Story
  • Eyewitness to History
  • Triumph: The Untold Story of Jesse Owens and Hitler's Olympics
  • Ivan's War: Life and Death in the Red Army, 1939-1945
  • The Battle of Kursk (Modern War Studies)
  • Brotherhood of Heroes: The Marines at Peleliu, 1944--The Bloodiest Battle of the Pacific War
  • Our First Revolution: The Remarkable British Upheaval That Inspired America's Founding Fathers
  • Write it When I'm Gone
  • No Simple Victory: World War II in Europe, 1939-1945
  • The Candy Bombers
From back cover:
Andrew Nagorski, award-winning journalist, is vice president and director of public policy at the EastWest Institute, a New York-based international affairs think tank. During a long career at Newsweek, he served as the magazine's bureau chief in Hong Kong, Moscow, Rome, Bonn, Warsaw, and Berlin. He lives in Pelham Manor, New York.
More about Andrew Nagorski...
Hitlerland: American Eyewitnesses to the Nazi Rise to Power Last Stop Vienna Birth of Freedom: Shaping Lives and Societies in the New Easter Europe Reluctant Farewell Przymusowe Pożegnanie: Spojrzenie Amerykańskiego Dziennikarza W Głąb Sowieckiego życia