Start by marking “Jailbait” as Want to Read:
Jailbait

Jailbait

Andrea Robin Kaplan is a clique unto herself.

In other words, she has no friends. Her only goal is get through high school with the least amount of humiliation possible, which should be easy— nothing ever happens in the suburbs, right? Wrong.

One day, as Andi walks home from school, a little brown VW drives up and she meets Frank. Frank makes her feel beautiful and special
Published March 12th 2009 by Delacorte Books for Young Readers (first published June 14th 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Jailbait, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jailbait

The Fault in Our Stars by John GreenThe Perks Of Being A Wallflower by Stephen ChboskyLooking for Alaska by John GreenThe Book Thief by Markus ZusakSpeak by Laurie Halse Anderson
YA Realistic Fiction
87th out of 303 books — 440 voters
Honey Girl by Lisa  FreemanLove and Haight by Susan  CarltonDreams of Significant Girls by Cristina GarcíaFor What It's Worth by Janet TashjianGo Ask Alice by Beatrice Sparks
YA set in the 1970s
31st out of 59 books — 27 voters

More lists with this book...

Scott
Feb 05, 2008 Scott rated it it was ok
One of my students last year found this book in my classroom library. Her reader response contained something along these lines: "then the older guy made the fifteen-year-old girl have sex with him and she loved him a lot and thought maybe she liked it after all because he was paying attention to her and she hadn't had that happen to her before because her only friend was a cow". Upon closing her reading notebook, I thought "Oh. Maybe I should read this." So I did. It's kind of "meh" in terms of ...more
Holly
Apr 04, 2014 Holly rated it really liked it
I liked it. Wish Judy Blume had written a book like this when I was growing up. It feels real. Mom and Dad aren't saints, nor do they have all (if any) of the answers. Andi, the protagonist, a teen girl feels real. Her voice is authentic. As for the relationship in the book, Andi bears as much responsibility I think- she really pushed for it. The older man in question is Frank. However, I am not sure I buy the attraction. I am not shallow, but he is a smoker (which she hates), has pockmarked ...more
Stephanie A.
Jul 21, 2012 Stephanie A. rated it liked it
I would normally run like hell from a title like this. But because it was set in the 1970s, that made it less...abjectly horrible to me, somehow. Instead of being all "GROSS, WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU FOR THINKING THIS IS OKAY," I am all, "Awww, those poor children in the 70s just didn't know any better."
Angella
Mar 20, 2010 Angella rated it liked it
This book had a lot of ups and downs for me. I can't decide if I really liked it, or if I really hated it.

In the beginning, when you meet Andi, you know just from her tone that she's one dumb girl, and she's got so little self esteem that she'll believe anything that a guy tells her. So when "Frank" comes along in his Volkswagon, and tells her how pretty she is, she basically goes gaga over the guy, and gets in his car. Dumb move #1.

So, Frank is a pretty likeable guy at first and after the first
Patrick
Dec 26, 2007 Patrick rated it really liked it
Shelves: novelist-reviews
This is a dark disturbing look at a teen girl (Andi) who feels like a stranger in her family, an outcast at her school, but finds acceptance with the wrong person. But the attraction isn't about sex, it's about control, as Andi easily succumbs to Frank's demands and desires. Andi tells the story and readers will find her likable, if somewhat naïve. Like Doing It, this is pushing the envelope: a place Newman's been before with her ground-breaking picture book Heather Has Two Mommies. Sure to be ...more
Kaela Waidelich
Oct 05, 2015 Kaela Waidelich rated it it was amazing
This book was a really good read. I enjoyed learning about her religion and what her family thinks is right and wrong. Even though some say this book in inappropriate, I believe its a good book for people to read, it teaches you that not everything people tell you is okay and correct. Also, that there are rules in life, and we should follow them because they help us survive and stay on the right path in life.
ky
Apr 11, 2012 ky rated it liked it
The cover caught my eye, but the story-line made me cringe. It is exactly what you are supposed to never do in real life (get into a strangers car, let someone pressure you into sex, believe unrealistic lies such as the ones Frank told) It seems like the main character had NO COMMON SENSE. Even if she is a loner and only has that cow in the pasture for a friend, she should have known better right from the start. It was an okay book, well written, but definitely not one of my favorites.
Savannah Shaffer
Feb 29, 2012 Savannah Shaffer rated it it was amazing
I read this book during my freshman year, I went back to it and re-read it again my sophomore year. I picked this book at random at the beginning. I'm so glad I did. It's a pretty mature book, but I liked how it was written. I have only read this book by Leslea Newman. I haven't found any others by her. The book got to the climax pretty fast, but the rising action is what keeps you reading. The end kind of slaps you in the face. You don't expect it. And, which the ending kind of made me mad.
Ashley
Mar 28, 2009 Ashley added it
I read a book called jailbait by leslea newman. This book is

intresting and made me wonder how girls can be attracted to men that

They dont even know. the main character name is andi. She seems to be

very lonely in her life so she befriends new people and a man that is

really older than her. Andi is this girl that is trying to find herself

and be happy with someone else.

Andi wants excitement in her life. So she starts talkin to a man

that she see eveyday passing her in a car. The man is older
Diana Welsch
Sep 27, 2008 Diana Welsch rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: people who don't mind poorly written YA
Shelves: young-adult
I read this book at work to see if it would be a good one to recommend to teens who like to read about people with messed-up lives. Alas, I don't think I'll be recommending it to anyone anytime soon, as it was pretty poorly written and uninteresting.

Jailbait was written in first person, from the point of view of a 15-year old girl named Andrea. She is unpopular, unnatractive, overweight, not very smart, and likes stuffed animals more than is appropriate for someone her age.

She meets a guy named
Jessica Pinto
Mar 16, 2014 Jessica Pinto rated it really liked it
In this book JailBait , there is a girl named Andrea Robin Kaplan who has no friends in school. She was always lonely. She never would take the school bus to or from school because people would pick on her. She would rather walk , even if it was snowing , raining or a big storm. In her mind it was like she was invisible. One day as Andrea was walking a car drives up to her and she meets a guy named Frank. Throughout the book Frank makes Andrea feel like the most beautiful girl in the world. He ...more
Maya
Feb 11, 2009 Maya rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed reading this book. Not everyone can relate to this book but there are certain topics in this book that people can relate to. The old clichés “Don’t talk to strangers,” and “Don’t get into a car with a stranger” takes a big part in this book. Lines are crossed when an innocent 15 turning 16 year old girl named Andrea thinks she has fallen in love with an older guy. Andrea is your typical loner who does not have many friends, isn’t the most beautiful, and is made fun of in school. ...more
Katrina Knittle
Oct 26, 2013 Katrina Knittle rated it liked it
So in a way I can relate to the main character of this book. As my husband and I met online. But we exchange countless photo's and didn't lie about our age to each other. We also lived about 10 miles away from each other and found out that we actually ended up going to the same school for a bit.Anyways onto the book! This is a decent book on the subject it is on meeting strangers online. it can be a good or bad thing depending on your age and how you go about it. As you learn for our main ...more
Maura
Aug 08, 2015 Maura rated it it was ok
Rebecca
Nov 22, 2009 Rebecca rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
A vivid account of a fifteen year old girl who finds herself in a sordid affair with a man twice her age. Frank was easily hateable and I prayed countless times Andrea would do the opposite of what she did. The author makes it almost understandable how she could fall for someone so creepy, with a family life that appears to leave a lot to be desired.

I was left a little curious. There were certain implications that Andreas father was too affectionate or needy to his fifteen year old daughter tho
Shelby
Aug 13, 2014 Shelby rated it liked it
3.5 stars.

It's hard to review this book, because although in terms of writing style and certain minor plot points, it wasn't really that great, it does tell a really great story about a mentally and emotionally abused teenage girl who, I don't want to say naive - maybe desperate for some form of affection - accepts the attention of an unstable older man. She becomes emotionally dependent and before long, she comes to realize that he's not her knight in shining armor, but the attachment is there.
Megan Pohl
Jailbait is one of thoughs make your stomach hurt type books. The girl in this book was walking home one day and met a man in a brown car. He was alot older than she was so he really shouldnt have been talking to her at all but they would meet up most everyday and getting her into lots of trouble with her mom and school. He had her so brainwashed that he was all she cared about! SHE DIDNT EVEN REALLY KNOW HIM! He would make her dress up for him and do bad stuff. He wanted her to runaway with him ...more
Tiana
May 30, 2011 Tiana rated it it was ok
The title of the book gives away the main idea of the book which I didnt discover until reading. I personally didnt like this book, because of the moody characters and awkward situations and settings. The book wasnt of my taste, but the family life and values of the character were quite amusing.

I wouldnt recommend this book to younger readers, the intense storyline and description would most likely be interesting and understanding for a young adult/teenager.
Katrina
May 27, 2012 Katrina rated it it was amazing
When I read this book a few years ago, it really hit home for me. I was at the point of talking to strangers and feeling lonely just like the main girl. Unlike me she took it on herself to start a relationship with an older man. At time you would feel like jumping into the book and trying to knock some sense into her. It was a well written book by one of my favorite authors. This book is what every person should read if they are feeling lonely and going to resort to some not so healthy habits.
Michelle Kwasney
Aug 05, 2012 Michelle Kwasney rated it it was amazing
This wonderful novel just goes to show that some authors, among them the talented Leslea Newman, can and do successfully write across genres. (How envious I am!) Usually known more for her picture books and poetry, the author's YA title, Jailbait, is none the less brilliant than her work for younger readers.
Hannah Goodman
Oct 18, 2010 Hannah Goodman rated it really liked it
WellI didn't love the writing style but I found the awkwardness of the two main characters painfully authentic. This wasn't an after school special read, which is what I thought it might be. It has grit and realism. It reminded me of that old Laura Dern flick with the guy who comes to her house and takes her away. Creepy.
❤♥♔Nia♔♥❤
Well, this book was written in 2005 and my guess is that it's main purpose is to show kids how predators aim for teens.
It was ok. It's hard to write a book about that subject and make it... I don't know, something teens will take seriously. She did a good job though.
Veronica Pacheco
Sep 29, 2015 Veronica Pacheco rated it it was amazing
The moment I read the first sentence in this book, I instantly knew this would go into my favorites list. It tells a really great story of a naïve teen girl who is desperate for affection. Chances are you're going to like this book.
Julian Winters
Nov 20, 2008 Julian Winters rated it it was ok
this is a book about a 15 year old girl named andrea who is unatractive and fat. she is walking home from school one day and meets a guy who drives a brown volkswagon. his name is frank and they hook up. this is a story about losing innocence as a child. its not very well written.
elissa
Oddly atmospheric, and very reminiscient of the 70's. The main character isn't horribly memorable, but it's worth a read. About a teen having a relationship with an older guy. The author also wrote HEATHER HAS TWO MOMMIES.
Brooklyn Teen-central
Dec 05, 2009 Brooklyn Teen-central rated it really liked it
Shelves: romance
Reviewed by Bird, 14yrs

In the 1970s, a 10th grader named Andrea falls in love with a middle-aged loser named Frank.The character was excellent and the plot was beautiful. The writing was very matter of fact.
Hope
May 22, 2010 Hope rated it it was ok
Whoa, can't believe I came across this book. Read it a while back... Lots of ups and downs and some rather maturely creepy subject matter for a teen book. It's a little dark, but at times interesting. If you're bored, female, and young with some time to kill, go for it.
Mar 10, 2016 Sarah rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I feel so sorry for this girl!
Veronica
Apr 08, 2015 Veronica rated it it was amazing
Was really a great book, enjoyed every minute of it. Got me hooked on from page one. read nonstop
Jan 28, 2016 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Shelves: teen
This title is definitely creepy, and for older teens to read.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Summer of Kings
  • Tenderness
  • What Mr. Mattero Did
  • Fault Line
Lesléa Newman (born 1955, Brooklyn, NY) is the author of over 50 books including Heather Has Two Mommies, A Letter To Harvey Milk, Writing From The Heart, In Every Laugh a Tear, The Femme Mystique, Still Life with Buddy, Fat Chance and Out of the Closet and Nothing to Wear.
She has received many literary awards including Poetry Fellowships from the Massachusetts Artists Fellowship Foundation and th
More about Lesléa Newman...