Start by marking “Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity” as Want to Read:
Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity

Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity

3.92 of 5 stars 3.92  ·  rating details  ·  168 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Catherine Whitmire's book of contemporary and historic Quaker voices reads like an antidote to consumer-driven despair. We all know the spiritual downfall of compulsively acquiring material goods (or what Quakers refer to as "cumber"); how it leads to a frantic-paced lifestyle built around working long hours so we can buy more stuff. In assembling Plain Living, a collectio ...more
Kindle Edition
Published 2001 by Sorin Books

To ask other readers questions about Plain Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plain Living

an absolutely brilliant, thought provoking book that begs all the relevant questions on all aspects of simplicity. It is organised by theme and consists primarily of short quotes speaking from the experience of a wide body of individuals. Not something to sit down and read cover to cover, but more to use as a tool for reflection and contemplation, remindng us to look to the centre in all aspects of our lives.
a collection of brief quotations from various Quaker persons recent and long deceased.

um... there's some good stuff here... you pick and choose with this sort of book.
Melanie Mauer
I was surprised how powerful the concepts in this book were - i love how well articulated the topic of spirituality and the connection to simplicity was and saw connections between my faith with a denomination I wasn't that familiar with before.

A good practice for new years...

"Before you tell your life what you intend to do with it, listen for what it intends to do with you." - Parker Palmer

"The simple life is one in which there is always time to remember the divine purpose behind each of our t
I find this book very useful when I get lost on my path through life.
Linda Carmel
The quotes and poems in this book are a gift to my soul. The wisdom is simple yet profound. I'll refer to this book again and again. I feel peace as I contemplate the writings. .
Martin Röll
(Reading still in progress. May edit this later. Writing this at 34 %)

This is quite different from what I thought it would be: It is basically a selection of unrelated quotes, some longer, some shorter, by Quakers, arranged by topics. Many of them come from deep wisdom and inspire me (some don't). As they are all unrelated to eachother though, I cannot really "read" this as a book: I come back to it from time to time for a dose of deep breath and inspiration. I like it, but it is a slow read and
A really beautiful collection of quotes, organized thematically. Quaker history and theology always inspires and comforts me.
Soothing is a good word for this book. Filled with short passages mostly written by other writers that can be used almost as a devotional type of book. In Quaker style, however, each section ends with queries which lead the reader through a meditational moment. Sheds light on Quaker values and is designed to get you thinking about your values. A book that is good for putting down and then just starting again wherever you want to.
Don Richardson
A thoughtful collection of essays and expressions on the Quaker testimony of simplicity. Most are short enough to read in a few minutes, anytime one needs a break from this not-so-simple world. Sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant, always thought-provoking. Would also be ideal for group reading and discussion.
Excellent quotations, the kind of book you can read cover to cover or dip into for inspiration. Plain living is about looking for the light, in yourself and each and every human being, as well as respecting the earth, from a Quaker perspective that is relevant to anyone of any faith, or no faith...A wonderful book.
I developed an interest in Quakerism last year and picked this up on recommendation. For a beginner in to the Quaker path it provides a good insight, but quite apart from this, it is a stand alone book of quiet practical wisdom that is hard to fault. Go on, dip in and try it.
This great book is filled with fantastic quotes about various spiritual topics relating to the Quaker faith specifically and to faith in general. This is all quotes though so be prepared for that.
Lisa Nash
A small volume but very pithy. If you are feeling overwhelmed and like a failure, read this book.
A good collection of quotations and queries. Some really hit the spot when I read them.
Mary marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Jason Valk
Jason Valk is currently reading it
Sep 27, 2015
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Sep 05, 2015
Vicki marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2015
John added it
Aug 16, 2015
Matthew Dishman
Matthew Dishman marked it as to-read
Jul 11, 2015
Tara marked it as to-read
Jun 29, 2015
alyssa works
alyssa works marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2015
Braelyn Snow
Braelyn Snow marked it as to-read
Jun 21, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • A Quaker Book of Wisdom: Life Lessons In Simplicity, Service, And Common Sense
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • Living the Quaker Way: Timeless Wisdom For a Better Life Today
  • The Simplicity Reader: Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down & Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • Except for Me and Thee
  • God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
  • Simple Faith
  • The Journal of John Woolman
  • Christ the Eternal Tao
  • Some Fruits of Solitude
  • Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • The Journal of George Fox
  • A Chosen Faith: An Introduction to Unitarian Universalism
  • The World According to Narnia: Christian Meaning in C. S. Lewis's Beloved Chronicles
  • Rumi's Little Book of Life: The Garden of the Soul, the Heart, and the Spirit
  • A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence
Practicing Peace: A Devotional Walk Through the Quaker Tradition Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity

“We plunge ourselves into enormous debt and then take two and three jobs to stay afloat. We uproot our families with unnecessary moves just so we can have a more prestigious house. We grasp and grab and never have enough. And most destructive of all, our flashy cars and sports spectaculars and backyard pools have a way of crowding out much interest in civil rights or inner city poverty or the starved masses of India. Greed has a way of severing the cords of compassion. Richard J. Foster, 1981” 0 likes
“Dispatch business quickly, and keep out of long debates and heats… be swift to hear, and slow to speak, and let it be in the grace, which seasons all words. George Fox,” 0 likes