Start by marking “Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity” as Want to Read:
Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity

Plain Living: A Quaker Path to Simplicity

Catherine Whitmire's book of contemporary and historic Quaker voices reads like an antidote to consumer-driven despair. We all know the spiritual downfall of compulsively acquiring material goods (or what Quakers refer to as "cumber"); how it leads to a frantic-paced lifestyle built around working long hours so we can buy more stuff. In assembling Plain Living, a collectio ...more
Kindle Edition
Published 2001 by Sorin Books

To ask other readers questions about Plain Living, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Plain Living

Chaundra
Jun 09, 2007 Chaundra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: quaker, religion
an absolutely brilliant, thought provoking book that begs all the relevant questions on all aspects of simplicity. It is organised by theme and consists primarily of short quotes speaking from the experience of a wide body of individuals. Not something to sit down and read cover to cover, but more to use as a tool for reflection and contemplation, remindng us to look to the centre in all aspects of our lives.
Keith
Oct 21, 2008 Keith rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
a collection of brief quotations from various Quaker persons recent and long deceased.

um... there's some good stuff here... you pick and choose with this sort of book.
Mark
Feb 24, 2012 Mark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I find this book very useful when I get lost on my path through life.
Melanie Mauer
Aug 09, 2015 Melanie Mauer rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was surprised how powerful the concepts in this book were - i love how well articulated the topic of spirituality and the connection to simplicity was and saw connections between my faith with a denomination I wasn't that familiar with before.

A good practice for new years...

"Before you tell your life what you intend to do with it, listen for what it intends to do with you." - Parker Palmer

"The simple life is one in which there is always time to remember the divine purpose behind each of our t
Martina Röll
(Reading still in progress. May edit this later. Writing this at 34 %)

This is quite different from what I thought it would be: It is basically a selection of unrelated quotes, some longer, some shorter, by Quakers, arranged by topics. Many of them come from deep wisdom and inspire me (some don't). As they are all unrelated to eachother though, I cannot really "read" this as a book: I come back to it from time to time for a dose of deep breath and inspiration. I like it, but it is a slow read and
Gloria
Soothing is a good word for this book. Filled with short passages mostly written by other writers that can be used almost as a devotional type of book. In Quaker style, however, each section ends with queries which lead the reader through a meditational moment. Sheds light on Quaker values and is designed to get you thinking about your values. A book that is good for putting down and then just starting again wherever you want to.
Don Richardson
Oct 11, 2011 Don Richardson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A thoughtful collection of essays and expressions on the Quaker testimony of simplicity. Most are short enough to read in a few minutes, anytime one needs a break from this not-so-simple world. Sometimes humorous, sometimes poignant, always thought-provoking. Would also be ideal for group reading and discussion.
Nesrin
Jun 14, 2013 Nesrin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent quotations, the kind of book you can read cover to cover or dip into for inspiration. Plain living is about looking for the light, in yourself and each and every human being, as well as respecting the earth, from a Quaker perspective that is relevant to anyone of any faith, or no faith...A wonderful book.
Barry
May 10, 2009 Barry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I developed an interest in Quakerism last year and picked this up on recommendation. For a beginner in to the Quaker path it provides a good insight, but quite apart from this, it is a stand alone book of quiet practical wisdom that is hard to fault. Go on, dip in and try it.
Anita
Jan 17, 2017 Anita rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Not a book to be read all at once, but in bits and pieces. The "queries" at the end of each section are very thought provoking. Definitely a keeper, this book will take it's place in the "reference" section of my library.
Kathryn Lee
I read this to get a better sense of Quaker spirituality. Now that I have read it through once in its entirety, I want to read it again slowly, deliberately, and meditatively to let the small whispers of the Holy Spirit have full voice through the wisdom in these pages.
Leslie
This great book is filled with fantastic quotes about various spiritual topics relating to the Quaker faith specifically and to faith in general. This is all quotes though so be prepared for that.
Lisa Nash
Sep 17, 2011 Lisa Nash rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A small volume but very pithy. If you are feeling overwhelmed and like a failure, read this book.
Carly
A really beautiful collection of quotes, organized thematically. Quaker history and theology always inspires and comforts me.
Linda Carmel
The quotes and poems in this book are a gift to my soul. The wisdom is simple yet profound. I'll refer to this book again and again. I feel peace as I contemplate the writings. .
Mark
Sep 17, 2011 Mark rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A good collection of quotations and queries. Some really hit the spot when I read them.
Donald Brooks
Donald Brooks rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
Jade
Jade rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2015
Erin
Erin rated it really liked it
Jun 19, 2011
Michelle Wood
Michelle Wood rated it really liked it
Mar 06, 2014
Jim
Jim rated it liked it
Aug 13, 2011
Rick
Rick rated it really liked it
Aug 21, 2016
Valerie
Valerie rated it really liked it
Aug 26, 2012
Rebecca Lord
Rebecca Lord rated it liked it
Jun 24, 2015
Julie
Julie rated it liked it
Jan 17, 2008
Catherine
Catherine rated it really liked it
Nov 08, 2008
Katherine
Katherine rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Linda
Linda rated it it was amazing
Sep 25, 2011
Dai
Dai rated it really liked it
Jul 22, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • A Quaker Book of Wisdom: Life Lessons In Simplicity, Service, And Common Sense
  • Holy Silence: The Gift of Quaker Spirituality
  • Living the Quaker Way: Timeless Wisdom For a Better Life Today
  • The Simplicity Reader: Simplify Your Life: 100 Ways to Slow Down & Enjoy the Things That Really Matter
  • Except for Me and Thee
  • A Testament of Devotion
  • Some Fruits of Solitude
  • God Has a Dream: A Vision of Hope for Our Time
  • Simple Faith
  • The Journal of John Woolman
  • Christ the Eternal Tao
  • Voluntary Simplicity: Toward a Way of Life That is Outwardly Simple, Inwardly Rich
  • The Journal of George Fox
  • The Evangelical Universalist
  • Journeys of Simplicity: Traveling Light with Thomas Merton, Basho, Edward Abbey, Annie Dillard & Others
  • The Good Heart: A Buddhist Perspective on the Teachings of Jesus
  • The Promise of Paradox: A Celebration of Contradictions in the Christian Life
  • A Reasonable Life: Toward a Simpler, Secure, More Humane Existence

“We plunge ourselves into enormous debt and then take two and three jobs to stay afloat. We uproot our families with unnecessary moves just so we can have a more prestigious house. We grasp and grab and never have enough. And most destructive of all, our flashy cars and sports spectaculars and backyard pools have a way of crowding out much interest in civil rights or inner city poverty or the starved masses of India. Greed has a way of severing the cords of compassion. Richard J. Foster, 1981” 0 likes
“Dispatch business quickly, and keep out of long debates and heats… be swift to hear, and slow to speak, and let it be in the grace, which seasons all words. George Fox,” 0 likes