A Practical Guide to Racism

A Practical Guide to Racism

3.69 of 5 stars 3.69  ·  rating details  ·  914 ratings  ·  102 reviews
A look at the races of the world by a lovable bigot, capturing the proud history and bright future of racism in one handy, authoritative, and deeply offensive volume
Meet ?C. H. Dalton, ? a professor of racialist studies and an expert on inferior people of all ethnicities, genders, religions, and sexual preferences. Presenting evidence that everyone should be hated, "A Pr...more
Published December 1st 2007 by Gotham Books (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about A Practical Guide to Racism, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Practical Guide to Racism

Carlos
The best way to describe this book to one who has no prior knowledge would be to relate it to something else. C.H. Dalton’s A Practical Guide to Racism could be categorized as Borat-esque. With that said, it took a very real point of view and blew it up. By the end it almost seemed like it was stretching a bit further than needed to be.

But the book does a great job of pointing out the absurdity of racial stereotypes by being so blatantly offensive and aloof. I read that the author of the book is...more
Mark
Appallingly clever in its ability to teeter along a tightrope of total bigotry and make it sound for a paragraph or two horrifyingly plausible. By that I mean I could hear the voices of racists everywhere echoing in the background of some of the comments but those racists do not necessarily need to be burning crosses or smashing windows. Most of it was so superbly outrageous that no-one could seriously entertain the truth of it but I found some of the comments chillingly similar to ones you over...more
Justwinter
Good satire. Found it on deep sale at Barnes & Noble and snapped up three copies when I found myself laughing out loud from just a quick perusal. More thorough reading didn't disappoint--though from chapter to chapter there is a consistent quality of 'one-liner' laughs, and the strengths/humor of various chapters is uneven. There are some (pop) cultural allusions that are over my head & I can tell those passages that fall flat are due to my ignorance about the person/situation mentioned....more
Julie
as John Stewart said, "Read this with someone you hate!"
Katy
Nov 14, 2013 Katy rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of satire
Book Info: Genre: Satire/Humor
Reading Level: Adult
Recommended for: people who enjoy satire and won't be offended by the language
Trigger Warnings: Very non-PC language

My Thoughts: Oh, myyyy. This book is so wrong, yet I laughed like a loon at a lot of it.

I'm going to state right away that if you are sensitive to non-PC language, this book will probably upset you. But keep in mind that this is satire, and designed to showcase the negativity of racism by exploiting the ideas for a laugh. And laugh...more
Derek
I picked up A Practical Guide to Racism for a couple of reasons: one, the title was hilarious, two, one of my favorite cartoonists (Nicholas Gurewitch of The Perry Bible Fellowship) had a hand in it, and three, because skimming through it proved to be a pretty enjoyable read. The best way to describe the book to the uninitiated is, I guess, that it is funny in the same way that Borat was funny. And, with that said, the ending appendices kind of drug the joke out further than it should have gone....more
Andrew Bolender
In this book, which has a very sarcastic tone, Dalton discusses different races in a way that highlights our own ignorance as human beings. As a writer, Dalton taught me that it is alright to take oneself less than seriously. In fact, looking at racism and sexism in this light shows how ridiculous society can be.

In discussing the races subjectively, Dalton runs the spectrum, even discussing stereotypes held about certain races.

Dalton also does something other writers are often unable to do, ma...more
Amanda Maria
This book was strange. I thought it was very entertaining in the beginning but it seemed to go on for way too long and went a little too far. I could appreciate the sarcastic humor and it made me laugh. In the chapters for the individual races I was surprised at some of the stereotypes that were left out. Also, more and more detail seemed to be added to each chapter as the book went on. Overall, I don't really know who I would recommend this to but I enjoyed it to a point.
Ryan
Such a great book. Infact, of all the bargain books I have this this by far the best. This would be my staff-pick if I really wanted to welcome a mob of angry morons (i.e. mobs)

My all-time favourite part of this book? The Asian section referencing H.P. Lovecraft's "Cthulhu and the Ching-Chong Chinabots" and the mentioning of Robert Longo beating out Adolph Hitler as the worst artist (because of Johnny Mnemonic). hope i didn't spoil that for you.
Bill
Uneven writing ultimately does the book in, but the concept is beyond brilliant. This is an amazingly accurate picture of racism in America (white, male, America, to be more precise). Personally, I had no idea that the whites have been so repressed in this country. I mean...I always felt that *something* was wrong, but to have it put there in black and white was a revelation. Disturbingly laugh out loud funny!
Craig
Nov 21, 2008 Craig rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone with a good sense of humour
This is the funniest book I have ever read, which is saying quite a lot. I can't remember the last time I laughed that hard, and I've never laughed that hard at a book before. Biting satire of racism, homophobia and sexism. Plus, it comes it a very nice green hardcover.
Justin
While a bit uneven at times, there were several laugh-out-loud moments, including the greatest Cher / footnote joke I've ever seen. Just remember, Merpeople were descended from mer-monkeys. Once you've accepted that, you're well on your way to enjoying this book.
So far, I've most enjoyed reading about Jews.
It's a book best used for its intended purpose; reference.
If you happen to need clarification on a particular group-- it's particularly useful. I especially like the notes in the back.
Christina Lazic
If you like absurdist humor and enjoy stereotypes, this book is a fucking blast. The author has some very interesting observations about Merpeople.
simar
perhaps one of the greatest books ever written. if you find it offensive, you probably hate yourself.
Edwina
Merpeople and gypsies really, really suck.
Jay Wilkins
unapolegetically irreverent and funny
Andrew Matthews

EDITORIAL REVIEW:

**A hilarious look at the races of the world—capturing the proud history and bright future of racism in one handy, authoritative, and deeply offensive volume**

Meet “C. H. Dalton,” a professor of racialist studies and a leading authority on inferior people of all ethnicities, genders, religions, and sexual preferences. In the grand tradition of *The Protocols of the Elders of Zion* and *Birth of a Nation*, he is on a mission to clarify the truth about self-supremacy, drawin

Doug
Back around 2008 (I guess, from the date of publication), I slipped "C. H. Dalton's" A Practical Guide to Racism on my Amazon wishlist to see if I could get my mother-in-law to buy it for me for Christmas. For reasons. Then, failing that dastardly deed's success, I bought it with Christmas money I received. For reasons. It sat on my bookshelf, mostly ignored. I think I forgot about it, but noticed it yesterday and picked it up and read through it today.

For those needing a gist, think of one of t...more
Holden Attradies
I laughed through almost every page of this book. It's so overly sarcastic that you would have to be pretty damn thick headed not to realize the author is poking major fun at bigots of all variates.

There was this one joke that was constant call back to a joke in the first chapter. It started out funny, than got old through repetition than got EVEN funnier by the end.

There was a lot of pretty funny topical and pop culture references that were already feeling a bit dated by my reading, which sadd...more
Jessica Fakes
For being such a controversial topic, the author wrote in such a humorous way as to not be offensive, if you understand satire that is.
Adam Fick
an absolutely hilarious look at racism. Prepare to be offended.
Stacey
Laughed my ass off every other sentence.
M
A quick read. It started out funny. But it soon got old fast. The same tripe repeated every chapter. Spinning the old racial stereotypes and wringing new material out of them. A few chuckles here and there and packed full of references to pop culture. The funniest parts may be the introduction and the first six (of seven) appendices. Each chapter is just blatant stereotypes turned on their head and used to make jabs at racists. It started strong but really sunk down after this first few chapters...more
Aaron
blatantly and unashamedly offensive. a farcical book of "facts" in the vein of hodgman's "the areas of my expertise" and the daily show's "america: the book" (both of which are more consistently funny). overall, it is sufficiently amusing, but generally better suited for the coffee table than the night stand.

i enjoyed how nearly all of the stereotypes which were portrayed as truths come directly from popular culture (particularly the video games of my youth; e.g. street fighter).
ems
a little like an episode of brass lion, except repetitive and not as funny.
Axelle
It was pretty funny. There were moments I literally laughed out loud with this book and had to read aloud to my fiancee what was so funny. It showed up in my Amazon "you might also like" list and that's where I bought it. I agree with some other reviews I've seen where it starts getting a little too ridiculous at the end, but the overall message to me is that all racism is extremely absurd. I think that's a good thing to take out of it.
Meaghan
Meh. This was a big disappointment to me and just plain not funny. Not even chuckle-worthy. I admit I laughed out loud a few times, but it was only astonished laughter at the book's breathtakingly bad taste. And with all its references to current TV shows and people whose fifteen minutes of fame recently zipped by (does anyone still remember who Kaavya Viswanthan is?), I don't think the book will have a long shelf life either. Pass on this one.
Charlie
This book is genius!
It had me literally laughing out from the beginning and warranting odd stares from the normal people around me. I think it accidentally educated me too!

Note: The only reason I can't give it a full rating is that I didn't quite understand some of the material either because 1. I'm not clever enough, 2. didn't understand cultural references or 3. am too young to understand some references
Chris
Nov 26, 2008 Chris rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chris by: Catherine S.
This book had its funny moments, but the humor starts to get a little repetitive after a while, when it was funy in the first place. I really wanted this book to be good, as I thought the idea of it sounded hilarious, but after the premise moves forward, it is just a series of jokes that never reach the end point I'd hope for.
It also would have been better had it been about a hundred pages shorter.
  • Claw Your Way to the Top: How to Become the Head of a Major Corporation in Roughly a Week
  • I'd Rather We Got Casinos: And Other Black Thoughts
  • Everything Is Going to Kill Everybody: The Terrifyingly Real Ways the World Wants You Dead
  • Rampaging Fuckers of Everything on the Crazy Shitting Planet of the Vomit Atmosphere
  • You're a Horrible Person, But I Like You: The Believer Book of Advice
  • Lies My Teacher Told Me About Christopher Columbus: What Your History Books Got Wrong
  • No Cure for Cancer
  • And Here's the Kicker: Conversations with 21 Top Humor Writers on their Craft and the Industry
  • Turn Left At The Trojan Horse: A Would-Be Hero's American Odyssey
  • My Custom Van: And 50 Other Mind-Blowing Essays that Will Blow Your Mind All Over Your Face
  • The Chomsky Reader
  • Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas and Other American Stories
  • How to Beat Up Anybody: An Instructional and Inspirational Karate Book by the World Champion
  • I Drink for a Reason
  • When You Ride Alone You Ride With Bin Laden: What the Government Should Be Telling Us to Help Fight the War on Terrorism
  • The Battle of Mogadishu: First Hand Accounts From the Men of Task Force Ranger
  • Dirty Sexy Politics
  • Ron Jeremy: The Hardest (Working) Man in Showbiz

“Jews, there are bound to be misconceptions. During the Middle Ages, they were even accused of causing the bubonic plague by poisoning wells in European towns, but that is simply not true.” 1 likes
“And, despite their racial handicap, many whites have nonetheless excelled at non-motorsports, as well. You can’t open a newspaper these days” 0 likes