Start by marking “The Man Who Never Returned” as Want to Read:
The Man Who Never Returned

The Man Who Never Returned (Fintan Dunne #2)

3.32 of 5 stars 3.32  ·  rating details  ·  126 ratings  ·  24 reviews
Judge Joe Crater¹s disappearance in 1930 spawned countless conspiracy theories and captured the imagination of a nation caught in the grip of The Depression.

Fifteen years later, Fintan Dunne the detective encountered in Quinn¹s novel Hour of the Cat, recently retired and bored, answers a summons to New York where he is asked to solve the old case for a newspaper magnate o
Published August 5th 2010 by Overlook Books

To ask other readers questions about The Man Who Never Returned, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Man Who Never Returned

Tony
THE MAN WHO NEVER RETURNED. (2010). Peter Quinn. ****.
This is the second novel from Quinn that features ex-cop detective Fintane Dunne. We met him first in a previous novel, “Hour of the Cat.” Dunne has just taken on a job that is a little outside of his specialty of divorce – finding out what happened to Judge Crater. Judge Crater was a judge in New York, and a member of the state Supreme Court. He had been out to dinner with a group of his cronies and left early by cab. He was never seen again
Dennis Fischman
I read this stylized, nourish detective story about a retired investigator in 1950's Florida who gets hired to go back to New York and dig into the 1930's disappearance of Judge Crater for discussion with the Somerville Public Library Mystery Book Club. I probably would not have picked it on my own, but I'm glad I read it. Crater's missing person case was famous in those days, even though I knew a lot more about Amelia Earhart's disappearance before reading this book. Apparently, there were rumo ...more
Steven Ferre
This is a well-written book with an interesting take on the unsolved Judge Crater disappearance. Prior to this book, I'd never heard of Judge Crater, but his mysterious disappearance captivated much of America for a generation.

The characters are tough-boiled as they should be and the recreation of 1950's New York was interesting. A nice touch was featuring the long-gone Savoy Plaza hotel...a grand hotel that for some reason doesn't get much press. Every time I pass that awful GM building that to
Cateline
The four star rating I've given The Man Who Never Returned is actually an average of first and last halves of the book. The beginning was slow, and frankly a bit torturous, but finally, finally!, the second half took off like a rocket.

Judge Joe Crater's (unsolved to this day) case is one of the most famous missing person case, at least in New York, and probably the country. It ranks up there with Amelia Earhart's, which was only a few years later than the Judges.

Quinn gives us a "retired" dete
Bob
As a boomer, I think my introduction to the mystery of the disappearance of Judge Joe Crater came during, of all things, "Laugh In." As a Chicago guy, I'd never heard of the NY state justice who vanished in 1930.
Was it posterboard signs that read lines like "Judge Crater, call home" where I'd first learned of this well-known missing person case?
Whatever, "The Man Who Never Returned" is a good mystery that like all good mysteries keeps you turning pages wondering what happened to Crater.
Author Pe
Edward
Mary
This book was very confusing and had no true direction. I read to page 180/300 and had to cut my losses. I had no interest or investment in the characters and was just suffering through it. I usually don't give up on a book, but figured there are way too many others I would rather spend my time on. I do not recommend this book. Even if the last 120 pages were outstanding, I'm mad at myself for wasting so much time.
Heather
Judge Joseph Force Crater disappeared forever in real life in August 1930. This is a fictionalized account of what may have happened to him as told by a PI who is investigating the case 20 years later. A good read.
This book was a slow to get going but it was worth the mystery that has been presented. There are different sub stories in the book that you wonder, "what if such and such happened" The roles are clearly defined. I am not close to being half way through so the plot will only thicken in trying to find what mystery envelopes this tale of disappearance.

I finished this book and it proved to answer a small mystery rather than the big one of the missing Judge. This is a true story of a judge who went
Emma
Very period accurate. However, the first part of the book was filled with unecessary fluff, to leave the real plot and action to be quickly unfolded and the end. Definately not a thriller, all the action feels toned down and very slow.The mystery solving, is constantly interrupted by the pointless and boring mundane personal tasks of the main character. Bad character developement, and the final explaination behind the mystery was kind of a let down. On the other hand, the tidbits of accurte hist ...more
Boris Feldman
The second of Quinn's Fintan Dunne series. A superb mystery about the disappearance of Judge Joseph Crater. Quinn's prose is perfect NY noir.
Dave
Claire
I just cannot deal with a mystery novel that takes 150 pages to get to the actual investigating. I can understand wanting to make the detective a fully-realized character, but an author can do that while he solves a case (just look at Dorothy Sayers) instead of spending the first half of the book glazing over trips to NYC/LA/Cuba and way too much detail about the character's sex life. The actual mystery was very engaging, but the solution didn't hold up to scrutiny and relied too much on very co ...more
Amanda
Jean
This is a fictional account of the real life disappearance of Judge Joseph Forte Crater from the streets of NYC in 1930. Twenty-five years later, Fintan Dunne is hired to solve this cold case. Quinn does an excellent job describing the politics of the time period and describing New York as it underwent so much change. The actual mystery has never been solved, but Quinn comes up with a plausible story. Interesting and entertaining.
K
Many typos, repeated page section detracted from perfect read. Overlook is a better press than that, I thought. Should have read hour of the cat first, I suppose. Overall, an intriguing periods detective style and topic. Like the protagonist. Not being a New Yorker I have somehow overlooked other bks on this historical character.
Carolyn J. Rose
LIke Quinn's previous book, Hour of the Cat, this has a wonderful time and place. I was able to suspend disbelief and feel that I was back in 1955 investigating the disappearance of Judge Crater with detective Fintan Dunne.
Kaye Campbell
Noire History-Mystery. Setting in New York in the 50's interesting, as was the true story of a missing judge, which the author used as a basis of mystery story. Good, if you like that type of book.
Jack Laschenski
New York City stars.

Finstan Dunne detective.

Judge Crater disappears in 1930.

Whodunnit?

25 years later we will find out!!
Judy Hilvers
This was a good read -- a fictional view of an historical event that provides answers to a decades-long mystery. Well done.
Deb
Entertaining take on one of history's unsolved disappearances -Judge Crater, 1930, totally okay to have no idea who he was.
Leigh
Never finished.. Never returned.. Got lost in the details of the era.....
Vicky
Jul 18, 2012 Vicky added it
Shelves: gave-up
I think I bought the wrong book. I thought this was about something else...
Luanne Rice
i loved this book, couldn't put it down. completely engrossing.
Bill Thompson
Bill Thompson marked it as to-read
Feb 23, 2015
Mike
Mike is currently reading it
Mar 04, 2015
Mary Mckinney
Mary Mckinney marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2015
Ann
Ann marked it as to-read
Feb 12, 2015
Philip Hess
Philip Hess marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • Mesopotamia
  • Silver: My Own Tale as Written by Me with a Goodly Amount of Murder
  • Worst Nightmares
  • A Thousand Veils
  • Sick City
  • A Curable Romantic
  • The Mullah's Storm (Michael Parson & Sophia Gold, #1)
  • Two at the Zoo
  • The Canticle Kingdom
  • Diamonds for the Dead
  • How Perfect Is That
  • If You Lived Here, You'd Be Home By Now
  • Spy Games (Spy Camp, #2)
  • Who Wants to Be a Poodle I Don't
  • Slow Horses (Slough House, #1)
  • Forbidden Creatures: Inside the World of Animal Smuggling and Exotic Pets
  • Persephone
  • Erika-San
Peter Quinn is the author of the novel Banished Children of Eve (winner of an American Book Award) and previously served as speechwriter for New York governors Hugh Carey and Mario Cuomo. A third-generation New Yorker whose granparents were born in Ireland, he is currently Editorial Director for Time Warner and lives in Hastings, New York.
More about Peter Quinn...

Fintan Dunne (3 books)
  • The Hour of the Cat
  • Dry Bones
The Hour of the Cat Banished Children of Eve:  A Novel of Civil War New York Looking for Jimmy: A Search for Irish America Dry Bones A Passion For Poetry