Start by marking “Tap Tap Bang Bang” as Want to Read:
Tap Tap Bang Bang

Tap Tap Bang Bang

Cree craw with the saw, bang bang with the hammer, and twizzle, twist, twirl, and spin with the screwdriver, bolts, and nuts. What fun!

It’s tool time for children as they delight in bright and colorful chisels, clamps, drills, pliers, and mallets at work. What could they be making? Kids will love finding out—and joining in with the sound effects in this action-packed book.
Published May 4th 2010 by Boxer Books (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Tap Tap Bang Bang, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tap Tap Bang Bang

Melissa
Things I like: a list of tools that goes beyond hammer, nails, saw, etc. to include chisel, glue gun, sander, clamp. Garcia's bright cut-paper illustrations are always appealing, and how can you resist those cute little eyes on every tool? (I found the nails especially endearing.) On the nitpicky side, the words for each tool are a mix of noises (cree craw--awesome--for the saw, bang, whack) and actions (lift, twist, clamp, turn, rub), which felt a little inconsistent. But yay for a toddler-acce ...more
Shannon
Apr 18, 2011 Shannon rated it liked it
Shelves: jp-jr-s, 2011, concept
The eyes on the tools are freaky.
Trever
Dec 31, 2016 Trever rated it it was amazing
Thought it was a good boy book that would teach onomatopoeia.
Maelin Long
Jan 28, 2016 Maelin Long rated it it was amazing
Tap Tap Bang Bang by Emma Garcia is the perfect story for the curious, hands on child. With each new page comes a new tool to discover. Their jobs and purpose are creatively shown, catching the child attentions with each sound such as "tappety tap" and "stickety stick". Each page builds on the next as the colorful tools work together. Every tool brings their unique talents to the group and in the end something amazing is built. The child is filled with anticipation as the last question "What did ...more
Autumn
Jul 14, 2015 Autumn rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: 18 Month to 36 Month Olds
Shelves: bam-bam-1000kb4k
A brief overview of various tools with depictions of their uses and onomatopoeias given for their sounds.

Suitable Age Range: 18 Month to 3 Year Olds

Our Thoughts:
My son, 20 months-old, has LOVED tools since he was a few months old. We received this book as a gift for his first birthday but at the time he wouldn't sit for it. I presented it to him again recently and he absolutely LOVED it! He thoroughly enjoyed hearing the onomatopoeic sounds for each tool. He even pointed or went to retrieve his
Erin Buhr
Mar 26, 2014 Erin Buhr rated it really liked it
Great introduction to the basic tools of construction. Emma Garcia intertwines vocabulary, onomatopoetic language, and toddler friendly explorations. The illustrations personalize the tools with darling little eyes and demonstrate how the tools work together. I love finding delightful board books. This is an often overlooked area of Children's Literature, but it is important for these first introductions to books to be as special and beautiful as all other literature. Emma Garcia embraces her yo ...more
Marissa García
May 08, 2012 Marissa García rated it liked it
Shelves: construction
This brightly illustrated option is going to attract a lot of children with a love for how things work. Many of these children will be boys, you'll find. The story itself isn't especially thrilling to me, and it doesn't make me happy to read during a storytime session. But you watch as distracted boys immediately snap to attention and want to see the adventures of these adorably illustrated tools and what they make. It's good to have in your arsenal, and can function well on units focusing on no ...more
Susan
Feb 10, 2011 Susan rated it really liked it
Description: This book provides great vocabulary for different tools and the sounds them make.

Illustrations: I love them. The bright colors and beautiful details are very engaging.

Themes/keywords: tools, vocabulary building, sounds

Literacy skills:
Phonological sensitivity- all the sounds that are made by the tools help to develop this skill
Vocabulary-provides kids with a variety of tool names

Boni
Aug 17, 2010 Boni rated it really liked it
I think I would have liked this one even more if it had been more obvious that they were constructing one specific thing, with better illustrative hints at what that thing might be for children to be able to use deductive reasoning and guess. Until the final reveal, it reads a bit randomly and I never would have guessed what they were building (so how could a child?). Fun use of sounds though and big, bold illustrations make it a great choice for storytime.
Becky
Feb 11, 2015 Becky rated it it was amazing
Tap Tap Bang Bang is filled with visual and lyrical imagery that capture my 18 month old's attention. We, of course, emphasize the sound effects, making this the book she requests all the time (tapping on the table). I only wish Emma Garcia would write a book more geared for girls like on the kitchen. But highly recommend for young children to engage in reading.
Bea
The book incorporates a mix of sounds that tools make and the movements needed to use the tools to introduce a variety of tools to young children. Some of the tools, such as the jack, are poorly explained and used, but most are well done and easily understood. The artwork is vivid and detailed but not overly so and my class of one and two year olds enjoyed the book.
Melissa Trumbo
A great picture book for pre-school children, especially ones that like tools. Each brightly, illustrated page lists a tool and what the tool does, ex. hammer-bang, bang. At the end of the book all of the tools are listed with their description and it asked, "What do we do with all of these tools?", the next page says, "Make a Go-Cart" and has a big picture of one.
Christina
Sep 15, 2014 Christina rated it it was amazing
I like this book because it has a wide variety of tools and the sounds they make. My son was able to sit through the whole reading of it. Also The book itself is very wide and tall. Tiny books have a much tougher time holding my two year old. Books that are visually bigger kind of engulf him and pull him into the story. The artwork is pleasant.
Janae
Jan 30, 2013 Janae rated it liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
I'd give it a 3.5. My toddler is obsessed with tools and this book goes through each one, names it, and explains what it does (sort of). There's nothing special about it, but it's good for teaching the terminology.
Cemeread
Dec 14, 2014 Cemeread rated it liked it
Shelves: children, storytime
This is a good choice for toddlers. There are bright colors on white backgrounds, noise sounds to imitate or motions to create as the purpose of each tool is shown. What have they worked to create?
Heather
May 14, 2011 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library
26 months - O really enjoyed this one. This would be a good book to read and then show the real tools to your toddler. O knew a few of the tools and then I just attempted to explain what the others did using my hands, sounds and words. A fun book.
Megan Richards
Apr 22, 2015 Megan Richards rated it liked it
Shelves: age-0-4-0-prek
I really wanted to like this book, but I think that it would be easier for children to learn the tool vocabulary by seeing real tools or at least plastic ones. This might be a better book for a family to use to incorporate vocabulary instead of a story time setting.
Marie
Sep 07, 2010 Marie rated it liked it
The sounds that some of the tools make seem a bit odd and arbitrary, but all the little tools with their eyeballs are so fun that it makes up for the text. Bold illustrations, large text. Good for phonological awareness. Storytime fun.
Katie
Sep 01, 2010 Katie rated it liked it
I like that Garcia's books are very vibrant, full of new vocabulary words, and also rather simple. Simple enough for toddlers but not too simple for preschoolers. Especially preschoolers like mine who LOVE tools.
Jennifer Hess
Jan 19, 2011 Jennifer Hess rated it liked it
My tool loving little boy really fell in love with this book. A lively introduction to tools and the sounds that they make. Each one, such as a saw, chisel, and drill, has its own distinctive sound ("cree craw," "chippety chip," "zzz") that children will enjoy repeating.
Butterflycager
May 24, 2011 Butterflycager rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-kids-loved-it
My three-year-old actually cried when we had to return this book to the library - guess I know one thing she's getting for her birthday this year. She's fascinated by tools and their uses, and the illustrations and action words in this book really piqued her interest.
Emma
My 22 month old reads this with his Dad (who I suspect is also learning about the tools along with the kid) and they have a lot of fun with it, making the noises. This is their rating - I'm never asked to read this one.
Joanne
Jan 13, 2015 Joanne rated it liked it
Good book for introducing small children to tools. Has lots of brightly coloured pictures and repetitive words to help children remember what each tool does. My son loved reading this with me and making the sounds and doing the actions for each tool.
The Library Lady
Jul 16, 2011 The Library Lady rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The text sounds for the tools are a bit cutsey-wutsey, but kids will love the tools with eyes and kids love tools, period!
Kim Patton
Jul 06, 2011 Kim Patton rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: preschool
Colorful pictures of tools combined with sound words ("we can bang bang with the hammer") create a story of the tools working together to build something. Would be great for preschoolers.
Alisa
Apr 02, 2012 Alisa rated it really liked it
Fun easy way to learn about simple tools and all that they do. It's also fun to act out the sounds of the tools. Collin LOVES this book.
Wendy
Sep 18, 2012 Wendy rated it liked it
My husband was mystified as to why our non-English speaking kids thought a saw was called a cree-craw.
Carina
Jul 18, 2015 Carina rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-reads
A fun book to read because of all the onomatopoeia. The funny noises held the baby's attention and the different tools kept the 3-year-old asking questions. Cute art, as well.
Shelley
Jun 17, 2014 Shelley rated it liked it
Not as fun as a read a loud as her others because the kids are not a familiar with all these tools.
Story break 6/17/2014.
Robin Rousu
Feb 21, 2015 Robin Rousu rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Just this side of excellent. One of the best toddler tool books out there. Simple, bold, reads aloud well. Highly recommended for ages 1-4.
  • Dig Dig Digging
  • Barnyard Banter
  • Monsters Don't Eat Broccoli
  • Old MacDonald Had a Farm
  • Old Macdonald Had A Woodshop
  • Chicken, Chicken, Duck!
NEVER GOOGLE HEARTBREAK is Emma's first novel very loosely based around her own experiences of being in her thirties and single in London, of being dumped, getting over it, and falling for it all over again. She has worked as a waitress, technical assistant, chambermaid, sandwich designer, product manager, illustrator and teacher, and spent a while traveling and working in Asia. She has also writt ...more
More about Emma Garcia...