Start by marking “Angel Lane” as Want to Read:
Angel Lane

Angel Lane

3.67 of 5 stars 3.67  ·  rating details  ·  268 ratings  ·  63 reviews
Keep the heart in Heart Lake. That’s exactly what three small-town shop owners hope to do when they launch their crazy-ambitious “Have a Heart” campaign — asking neighbors to commit one random act of kindness every day.

Published (first published September 29th 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Angel Lane, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Angel Lane

April
Angel Lane is a delightfully, wonderful and inspiring story, that I had to literally pull myself away from. Every once in a while, you come across a book that you can delve right into and feel as though you, yourself, are a part of the story. Angel Lane is one of those precious books. I absolutely loved Sheila Roberts's style of writing and her characters are so real and true to life. They are, quite simply, everyday women that most anyone can relate to in some way.

Jamie, Sarah and Emma are each
Kathy
Sep 24, 2009 Kathy rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone looking for a light-hearted, feel good read
Recommended to Kathy by: firstreads
I received this book in the mail earlier this week after winning it here on goodreads. It had sat on my coffee table until late last night when I picked it up. "I'll just read the first few pages before bed," I thought. I didn't put it back down until I finished it.

Angel Lane is just a simple feel good story about three friends that are trying to keep the heart in their small town. All the characters are real, three-dimensional characters with real problems and real emotions. They find that the
Jess
I gave this book 3.5 stars.

A brief summary: three women named Sarah, Emma and Jamie all live in a small town named Heart Lake. They have all become a little disheartened over their town's "decline". Basically it's growing, and as more and more people flood the area, it's slowly losing it's hometown spirit. People are becoming less interested in their neighbors, and more interested in themselves. The three women decide that they need to restore Heart Lake to it's past greatness. They begin their
Michael crage
I had trouble deciding whether to give it 4 or 5 stars and decided that the quality of writing and the story deserved 5 stars. It wasn't really the kind of book I would normally read, but I decided that should not take stars away. The only complaint I had was that if she was going to used names of places, she should have put them where they actually are. I live a mile from the bridge in Tulalip where the aunt was taken to the hospital. She stated that the Monroe hospital was the closest. In trut ...more
Gail Hollingsworth
Sheila Roberts NEVER disappoints and that is still true with Angel Lane. She can draw you into a story and a town and make you feel like you are really there. Three of the residents of Heart Lake, a baker, quilter, and chocolate maker decide that their small town is growing too fast and most everyone is doing their own thing and not really caring about others. They decide to start a campaign titled "Keep the Heart in Heart Lake". They try to get the town on board by asking all to do one thing fo ...more
Selin Kamaş
Çok güzel bir kitaptı :) İnsanın içini ısıtıyor :)
Jane
Keep the heart in Heart Lake. That’s exactly what three small-town shop owners hope to do when they launch their crazy-ambitious “Have a Heart” campaign—asking neighbors to commit one random act of kindness every day. Emma, Sarah, and Jamie love their lakeside community, but the little town is growing too big too fast, and a doing a good deed never hurt anyone. Or so they thought…
When Emma slashes prices at her quilt shop, practically giving away blankets to anyone who looks vaguely cold, she al
Ronna
Angle Lane is located in a small town in Washington, but the community, small town support and feeling has long since left. Three local women are determined to make a change in this, with a helping hand--pass it forward plan.

Jessie makes delicious chocolates for her candy shop. She is also trying to get beyond her divorce after an abusive marriage. Her Aunt Sarah makes yummy items for her bakery shop. She's happily married but is sadly missing her two granddaughters as their family has just mov
Jane
When I won this book, I was delighted. The blogs and comments I had read made one want to read it. Take the movie "It's a Wonderful life" and compare it to this book. Three women own difference types of shops and their lives impact each other - not only as friends but also in the community. Living in a small town myself I could well relate to the Keep the Heart in Heart Lake move. Rural Communities tend to look out for each other and big cities don't. I know as I was born in a big city.
One kind
L8blmr
Every once in a while I just need to read an uncomplicated, heartwarming story to restore my faith in humanity, particularly if it is set in Small Town, America. Well, this is just such a book. It is a tried and true formula; three women, small-business owners at different places in their lives but having enough in common to be good friends. However, Ms. Roberts' strong yet down-to-earth, homespun writing style makes reading the misadventures of these ladies a lot of fun.

I would have rated this
Romancing the Book
Angel Lane is a feel-good book that shouldn't be missed and is a perfect read for the upcoming Christmas holiday season.

The town of Heart Lake is losing that treasured small-town feeling that many of its residents cherish. So friends, and shop owners, Sarah, Emma and Jamie take it into their own hands to make a difference. They start the movement "keep the heart in Heart Lake" with the hopes that good deeds would be paid forward by those who had received the gesture.

But what book is without conf
May
Mar 31, 2010 May rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Debbie Macomber fans
Okay so in the interest of full disclosure, I admit that I ended up crying towards the end of the book. Most times, I get teary-eyed especially if the beloved heroine is on her deathbed (e.g. Judith McNaught's Something Wonderful), but for some strange reason, I had tears flowing down my face when one of the lead characters was going through her personal crisis in the book. I am not saying this is a sad book. In fact, it's pretty much standard chick-lit fare that is highly reminiscent of Debbie ...more
Liz
Angel Lane by Sheila Roberts was a solid, cute, yet somewhat predictable story. The characters were extremely likable (especially Jamie), and the premise of the book is worthwhile (a little kindness goes a long way). That being said, as cute as it was, the storyline didn't engross me as it did some other reviewers. I had to struggle to finish, but I truly don't believe that this has anything to do with Roberts writing style or talent. I'm just not one for this particular type of "chick lit". Hat ...more
Carolyn
I am not a big fan of fiction books, yet this book kept me entertained as I wondered what would happen next with Sarah, Jamie and Emma. It was something light to read on days when relaxation and escape from reality were necessary (although characters were going through real life situtations). Reading this book makes me want to read more by Sheila Roberts. Not only is it entertaining, but it leaves us with the motivating message that we should constantly look for opportunities to help others whet ...more
Alicia
This was a cute romance novel, which did exactly what one would want in a romance novel. The plot line was a bit predictable, but I feel as though that is part of the genre. Emma's story, however, was the hardest to predict, though it was somewhat obvious she would come away happy. It was certainly an inspiring story, especially to start doing good things for one's own community. It may not have been something I'd pick out in a bookstore, but it was a quick lighthearted read and I would recommen ...more
Jewell
ABSOLUTELY LOVED!!!!
Kathryn
How could I not like a book that has a quilt shop, chocolate shop, book shop and lingerie shop in it? How can I not like a book that takes place in Washington state where I live? It's not that I didn't like it it's just that there wasn't any chemistry. It didn't call my name all day to come back to reading it and that's what I want from a book. I really wanted to like it and got over a 100+ pages into it and then asked why am I working so hard at wanting to like this bok?
Donna
The Sheila Roberts books have been fun. Yes, they ALWAYS end on a happy note but after wrestling w/ day to day stressors & let downs it's nice to experience a little escapism.

Her characters are fun, the story lines are complete & it's easy to picture the environment the characters move through. I've read a couple of her books so far & at the end of each one she shares a couple of recipes mentioned in the book. It's fun because 2 of the books have had chocolatiers in them. =) yum!
Becky
I found this book in a second hand book store. Once I got it home I couldn't put it down. The characters were realistic facing current problems. Their friendship and antics lighten the spirit of the reader.
They embark on a journey to lighten their own circumstances as well as the circumstances of people that daily cross their paths.
I giggled, I sighed then I thought. It also made me appreciate my friendships more.
It's a great book and I recommend it highly!
Amy
couldn't finish. stopped at chapter 23. had no point to the story, abd didn't get any better
Jen
I have been pleasantly surprised by each book I have received through First Reads and this book was no different. Sheila Roberts did a great job of building up her characters and keeping the reader intrigued with what may happen next. I found myself engulfed in the characters and their lives and what was going to happen to them,their relationships. It was a great light hearted, wholesome, read. Very much recommended.
Peggy
Angel Lane by Sheila Roberts was a fun read. The themes found in the book are common for light romance, but the book did not feel dull or formulaic. I enjoyed the personality of the characters warm and realistic. The author handled the issues in the book intelligently and avoided cliche endings. This was an enjoyable, lighthearted read at the end of the day.
Deborah
Three stars is a little generous for this very predictable sweet book. Two stars would have been to harsh, I have no idea how I got to this book. If you have a few hours and want to escape with a romance novel this is it. The books pay it forward concept makes you want to do a good deed. The end of the book has delicious looking recipes
Amy Stephenson
This book was about great friendships, starting over, and falling in love. I absolutely get lost in all the characters in Ms Roberts' books!
JoAnne
Quick and enjoyable read that takes place once again in Heart Lake. Lots to cheer for with a few happily ever afters thrown in. Would have liked some of the characters from Love in Bloom to have more than a mention in passing. Easy to visualize living in the small town and loved getting to know the people who lived there.
Stacey
A bit soft, even if chick-lit and Christmas themed. Three woman try to get a town to embrace the put the heart back into Heart Lake (i.e. to do one good deed everyday). Two of the three woman are 30 something singles (one looking for romance and the other trying to stay far away from it; guess who falls in love?).
Gail
Finally found some time to finish reading it. I loved the ending. It is so nice to see how a small town comes together to help each other out. Seeing friends stick together and learning to trust again. A great Christmas story about a small town. Also has some good recipes in the back of the book.
Lauri
Wonderful story of small town life. Many of us dream of leaving the city and moving to a small town just like this, but most of us never will. Though a predictable ending, this is a good read. Those who enjoy Debbie MacComber will definately enjoy this book as well.
Tari
A really sweet story that could be described as Mayberry meets Bedford Falls. I loved it.
Jen
I won this book on Good reads and can't wait till I get it in the mail so I can start reading it!

I just finished this book and loved it. I found Jamie irritating at times, but that happens. I loved Emma and am glad she found her happy ending!
  • Courage of Fear
  • Home is Where the Bark Is
  • A Cowboy for Christmas (Jubilee, Texas, #3)
  • The Sister Pact
  • The Sultan's Daughter
  • Coast Road/Three Wishes
  • Wunder einer Winternacht - Die Weihnachtsgeschichte
  • Life as I Know It
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • Murder in Vein (A Madison Rose Vampire Mystery, #1)
  • Flamingo Diner
  • Seeking Sara Summers - A Coming Out Later in Life Lesbian Novel
  • Dark Passion (The Brethren, #3)
  • Venus Envy
  • A Little Bit Psychic: Pride & Prejudice with a Modern Twist
  • Crimson & Steam (Crimson City, #8)
  • First Comes Love
  • Chemistry and Other Stories
Sheila Roberts lives on a lake in the Pacific Northwest. She’s happily married and has three children. Her books have been best-sellers, Amazon top ten romance picks, and her popular holiday novel, "On Strike for Christmas" was made into a movie for the Lifetime channel. When she’s not speaking to women’s groups or at conferences she can be found writing about those things near and dear to women’s ...more
More about Sheila Roberts...
The Snow Globe On Strike for Christmas Better Than Chocolate (Life in Icicle Falls, #1) Bikini Season The Nine Lives of Christmas