Start by marking “Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life” as Want to Read:
Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life

Lucid Dreaming: A Concise Guide to Awakening in Your Dreams and in Your Life

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  466 ratings  ·  35 reviews
NOTE: The ebook does not contain the spoken-word audio component included in the original printed edition.

The average person spends nearly twenty-five years of their life sleeping. But in all that time you can get a lot more than just a healthy night s rest. With the art of lucid dreaming or becoming fully conscious in the dream state you can find creative inspirations, pr
Published May 1st 2008 by Sounds True (first published April 1st 1985)

To ask other readers questions about Lucid Dreaming, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lucid Dreaming

Guy
A lucid dream is a dream in which the dreaming self becomes aware that s/he is dreaming. For me, that awareness would lift my heart with excitement because I would immediately think, 'This is a dream! I can do anything.' And I would immediately jump from the ground and fly. I've been to the moon, 'flew' underwater, swam with whales, etc.

This book is excellent, and contains simple techniques to help promote the lucid dream experience.

Also fascinating are LaBerge's review of the role of dreaming
Simon
A short (80-page), helpful practical guide on lucid dreaming with a heavy focus on sometimes controversial eastern spirituality.

The first chapter with several reports of the exhilarating experience of being in a lucid dream starts the book as a great teaser. It instantly lifted my mood and made me hopeful about the potential for new experiences and adventure.

Very quickly afterwards, one is introduced to techniques to increase the likelihood of lucid dreaming, among which is developing better dre
Mason Hoffman
I read this book after reading a lot about lucid dreaming online. I have to say that I did get more from this book then I did just searching around online. It gave not only instructions on how to develop the skill of lucid dreaming but also a lot of insight and theory behind it. The included CD was helpful as well. I would recommend it for anyone with a new interest in the topic.
Laura Belle
Nov 13, 2008 Laura Belle marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
I have never had a lucid dream. I have never had a dream where I have flown... In all honesty, I have never had a dream that pushed the limits of reality... a dream where fantastical things can happen. Most of my dreams are so reality based that it's almost nice to awaken from them. I just want to have one dream where I can fly.
Ada Heath
If you search `Lucid Dreaming` on Google, within fifteen seconds Stephen`s name will undoubtedly come up. He’s a major player in the lucid dreaming world, not only as an author but as a scientist and researcher. Because of the work he (and a few others) performed, lucid dreaming was proven real, and not just a trick of the mind. It was a cool experiment – someone would go into REM (rapid eye movement) sleep, get lucid in the dream, and send a signal to their physical body. The signal was a disti ...more
Daniel Rekshan
One of the unfortunate things about being interested in lucid dreaming is the lack of literature on the topic. Actually, the lack of intelligent, thought out, and well written literature. On a whole, lucid dreaming books have too much of the author's own opinion and not enough research, in addition to mediocre writing. What I want is a well researched, well written, and scholarly book that doesn't read like the author's dream journal.

This book almost fulfills my wish. It is well written. The aut
Lindsay
This book is a classic and tells a lot about the history of dreaming (everyone heard the story about the sewing machine...) and is a nice introduction for everyone who's new to lucid dreaming. However, if you are an experienced lucid dreamer, this book will kinda dissapoint you. There are experiments you've probably done yourself and sometimes he tries to convice you of his opinion while there is no real proof (yet). Of course you can't judge an old book because of that. What I absolutely didn't ...more
Iona  Main Stewart
The book I’m here reviewing is Lucid Dreaming by Stephen LaBerge published in 1985 (304 pages).

I found the book readable in part, but much of it was quite boring. It is a well-written, intellectual/cerebral account not only of lucid dreaming but dreaming as a whole and other related subjects.

The author is irritatingly skeptical, and, for instance, does not believe that out-of-body experiences are real, but that they are a form of lucid dreaming. He himself has had several out-of-body experiences
Lance
Recommended to me in an off-handed manner by a counselor, this book helped me get rid of some bad sleep disorders. After I read it, I found that I'd been awake but not aware in my dreams. I learned how to recognize when I was dreaming and take advantage of it, instead of letting my subconsious phobias take over and run their course. My sleep became as enjoyable as it was frightening. After a while, because my sleep became normal, I stopped having the lucid dreams. I'll take the peaceful sleep, t ...more
Joe
Have been interested in dreams and altered states for a long time. My wife and daughter claim to have the ability to "lucid dream" a dream in which one is conscious of dreaming and can alter the progress/outcome of a dream. I've been reading this book hoping to become "lucid" so far a lot of very bizarre dreams, but none in which I am aware of dreaming.

The book is somewhat interesting but had many punctuation errors which I find annoying (no cap starting a sentence?)
Haakon
I know next to nothing about lucid dreams, nor have I ever, to my recollection, had one. This book inspired me to want to dream lucidly and provided techniques to achieve that goal. The author writes well, and the overall quality of writing is scholarly but fairly effortless to get through. Highly recommended for someone looking to get an introduction to the field of lucid dreams.
John
I read this book a long time ago, and afterwards actually had a lucid dreaming experience. Having reread it, it's a good introduction. I'm going to read LaBerge's other books to get more insight into developing this skill. If you're really interested and want to know that lucid dreaming is, this is a decent start; if you really want to try it, you will want to read more.
Sebastian Tron
I want to learn how to lucid dream perfectly and every night I want. I have done it, but I don't know if I've done it on purpose. I want to learn everything about it. I want to make it a priority in my life. I will try as hard as I can until I get it. I like the idea of doing anything you want. I will use it to find answers.
Ryan Williamson
Read this in conjunction with other books that tickle the imagination. Read this with Stranger in a Strangeland when I was adventuring into Lucid dreaming. Provides the simple tools you need to start lucid dreaming. Just stay motivated and don't stop with the dream journal.
Jukka
I found this short book quite inspirational, with many good insights on lucid dreaming. It has help and encouraged me in my exploration. I felt there should have been a little more to here, though sometimes less is more.
Sarja
As the title of the book says: it's concise. It serves its purpose, but for the person who is seriously interested in lucid dreaming, you're better off with something more elaborate.

The last chapter rocked.
Johannes Bertus
Great thing that he did all this research, but in the end it felt a little like listening to other people's dreams hour after hour. When I was done I just wanted to go to sleep.
Sean Carlos
Amazing... been studying lucid dreams for 1/2 year (longer than that, but actually started researching then) and was a big help. Induction CD didn't hurt, either :D
Sean Alesi
Nice and short, but you could probably find all this info on the internet. Even so, try this; it's fun when you do the lucid dreaming, but difficult to do.
Linda Anderson
I loved this book...a lot of information and the accompanying cd has good exercises on it...my goal is to be lucidly dreaming by this time next year.
Jennifyre Ziegler
I don't know how or why this one was showing up on my list with 5 stars. This was by far the most boring book on lucid dreaming I have ever read.
Tasaday
Great advice on how to go about lucid dreaming, if you've ever been interested, he's far more accesible than Castaneda (although not as compelling)
Zeena
This is a hecka good book about how to controll your dreams, and be concious in your dream state. I tried it and it really works!
Olivier
Une expérience incroyable a vivre, une révélation qui mérite d'être expérimentée par soi même !
Cela fonctionne réellement !
A.J.
Apr 17, 2007 A.J. rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Oneironauts
Learn to heal and grow via your dreams. Laberge will give you the key to lucidity in an easy to read and concise way.
Benjamen
Decent book i guess. but the most important thing you can do to lucid dream is keep a dream journal.
Will
It worked a few times. I floated for a moment. Another time I sought a honey for some lovin'.
Claumartin
Jul 14, 2009 Claumartin is currently reading it  ·  review of another edition
Muito interessante, mas estou apenas começando, ainda não consegui na prática.
Ein
Немного тяжеловесно и местами затянуто, но проработка темы внушает уважение.
Pedro
Not a wow book but it works! At least worked once :)
  • Lucid Dreaming: Gateway to the Inner Self
  • Our Dreaming Mind
  • Conscious Dreaming: A Spiritual Path for Everyday Life
  • The Tibetan Yogas Of Dream And Sleep
  • Lucid Dreamer: A Waking Guide for the Traveler Between Worlds
  • Superlearning 2000
  • Organon
  • Creative Dreaming: Plan And Control Your Dreams To Develop Creativity Overcome Fears Solve Proble
  • The Encyclopaedia of Celtic Wisdom: A Celtic Shaman's Sourcebook
  • The Book of Signs
  • Cave and Cosmos: Shamanic Encounters with Another Reality
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • A First Course in Abstract Algebra
  • A First Course in Differential Equations: With Modeling Applications
  • Astral Dynamics: A New Approach to Out-Of-Body Experiences
  • Alchemical Active Imagination
  • The Promise of Sleep: A Pioneer in Sleep Medicine Explores the Vital Connection Between Health, Happiness, and a Good Night's Sleep
  • Dream Yoga and the Practice of Natural Light
Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming Controlling Your Dreams S'éveiller en rêvant Träume, was du träumen willst: Die Kunst des luziden Träumens A Course in Lucid Dreaming

“dreams are real while they last. Can we say more of life?” 2 likes