Start by marking “Mad Dash” as Want to Read:
Mad Dash

Mad Dash

2.89 of 5 stars 2.89  ·  rating details  ·  610 ratings  ·  98 reviews
The poor thing was cold and trembling, abandoned on their front doorstep. Dash, impulsive as always, decides on the spot that they should keep it. But her husband, Andrew, thinks it’s the craziest thing he’s ever heard. A fight over a scruffy little dog doesn’t seem like much of a reason to walk out on your husband of twenty years—but the spat over the puppy is just the la ...more
Published (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Mad Dash, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mad Dash

mark
May 29, 2009 mark rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: lovers.
Woman's fiction. Maybe it's my current relationship status ... I don't know; but when I finished this book--I was angry, wanted to tear it up or burn it. Nobody gets to have everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, work out perfectly. Do they? What hogwash. I'll be interested to see what other readers have to say .... It is this: I feel like a complete failure after reading this book. I want a perfect relationship. I want perfect love. I want perfect friends. I want perfect children. I want a perfect ...more
Deborah
I did not really care for the main character -Dash.
If I had the print book instead of the audio I probably would not
have finished.
A big problem with this story is that life generally does not
happen this way - there is not always a happy ending and people
don't always act as we would like.
Rosalie
This is the story of "Dash" who at midlife becomes so mad at her husband Andrew that she leaves him and goes to their summer cabin in upstate New York. The rest of the story revolves around the couple and how they are struggling with their marriage. The story is in no way "cheesy" but very touching as the 2 explore their feeling for each other.
Joanne
Loved it! A very humorous account of feelings towards one's mate after 20 years of marriage. Very light, tongue-in-cheek style that voices many of the feelings you have when you reach the "sandwich" point of life. Kids gone, parents aging, Peri-menopausal Dash decides she needs a temporary separation from her husband.
This was pretty good, more literary fiction than low-brow entertainment. it is the story of a separation, a meditation on habits that are irritating after twenty-years, about choices you made in your youth and if you are satisfied with your life. Happy ending, of course.
Cherish Thong
Dash is a mother and a wife. Her mother had just passed away recently, and one night she found this puppy outside her house. Her husband protested against her decision to keep the dog, and somehow this broke something in Dash, and she walked out of her marriage, her home, and the life she had known. She then went on a journey to discover more about herself, to find out what she wants in life, etc. The typical soul searching thing, if you know what I mean.

I’ll get straight to the point: I hate t
Shonna Froebel
This tale of a woman's midlife crisis is told both from her and her husband's points of view. There is also a short section from their college-aged daughter's viewpoint. Dash is in her mid-forties, a commercial photographer specializing in portraits of children. Her husband Andrew is a university history professor with a special interest in Thomas Jefferson. Throughout their relationship, they've both been aware of their differences, and mostly appreciated them, but suddenly Dash needs to get aw ...more
Anna
I first read The Saving Graces, loved it and decided to get this. For me, I think that the way I choose a book depends on the things going on in my life at the time. It is interesting to be able to relate to a character in a book for some reason or another. Sometimes I can relate to things personally or know someone who's going through (or has been through) something similar. I like this book as it depicts the many stages or changes we can make or go through in a life, or a marriage/relationship ...more
Lori Anaple
Yay! I finished this painstaking read!

I will cut right to it, I couldn't stand the main character, Dash. What a spoiled, indulgent woman. I wish I could just check out for months while trying to figure out what it is that has me upset. But, I can't and I don't know any other person who can. I get that there are some changes going on in her life and she needs to reevaluate her thoughts on her life. But to leave her husband to do it? Crazy.

Andrew (the husband) makes an observation that this is t
Frances Susanne
This chick lit was not as fast-paced as I'd hoped. Although the issues it deals with - mid-life crisis, re-inventing your life - are real and serious, I felt the story could have been told in 100 less pages, & with more impact. By halfway through the book, I discovered I really didn't care about the characters. For me, a serious flaw in the story.
Georgiann Hennelly
Mad Dash is a humorous , compassiate story of a marriage and the fascinating people inside it. Dash is an impulsive person. Andrew is more uptight. When after a faculty party they come home to find a half frozen puppy on the porch.Dash wants to keep it Andrew thinks they should give it to a shelter. So after 20 years of marriage- Dash leaves and takes the puppy with her to the family cabi. Now living on her own Dash can do whatever she wants to do. If only she can figure out what it is she wants ...more
Mary
I almost put this book down after the first two chapters. It seemed like the story of a spoiled woman who doesn't know how good she has it. Then the point of view shifts to her husband, from whom she has just separated (on a trial basis) and later we get their daughter's perspective. These other two points of view make the story bearable, but the main character - Dash - never really changes. In my opinion, she thinks the world revolves around her and when things don't go her way, she runs off. E ...more
Nikki
I didn't bother to finish this one. I'd enjoyed a previous book (Saving Graces) and thought I might like this one, but I couldn't get involved with the characters, especially the main character, Dash. She is a 40-ish photographer, wife of a history professor, whose mother has recently died and whose daughter is off to college. So of course she has a midlife crisis (but insists it isn't), and flees to the family's mountain cabin with a puppy. She appears to be finding surrogates for her mother an ...more
Maryel
When I get a book, I usually read it in one weekend. This one I've had for almost 3 weeks and still haven't finished it. The more I read the more I dislike the main character Dash - she's a throw back from the 1980's show "Thirty Something". So whiney and self-consumed yet thinks she knows what's best for everyone else. I'm more interested in her friend "Mo". I haven't felt like this about a book in a very long time - I wish I would have bought the cookbook I had put back, I would have enjoyed i ...more
Stephanie Cammack
This was a slow read. Although I thought the plot wasn't all that bad, it felt as if the story was very monotone and never hit a climax.
Robin Nicholas
I enjoyed it and felt like it was pretty realistic. When people are going through big changes...ie...mother dying, only child leaving for college, examining your marriage...there are a lot of different thoughts and emotions...and your feelings can change on a dime....that is what processing is all about. While reading the other reviews it struck me that the people who hated this book were taking it very personally (interesting). The reviews that liked it had a different take on it. I thought the ...more
Renee
Dorothy, who prefers to be called Dash rather than Dot, is in denial of the fact that she is going through a midlife crisis. I really enjoyed the optimistic and humorous approach to this topic.
Ruth Ridoflo
Patricia Gaffney weaves wonderful stories and creates believable characters. Great story. I liked it.
Kathleen
Simplistic characters: reliable, boring professorial husband vs fun, dissatisfied wife experiencing empty nest syndrome with a vengeance. How dare her daughter go away to college!

Wife decides to flee to their cabin (fortunately for her, her husband's boring, reliable job provides them a nice income) and "find herself." Well, there isn't much to find. She's about as deep as a puddle on a flat sidewalk.

I read the first couple of chapters, skimmed over the rest of it. Wanted to find some semblanc
Brigitte
I loved this book. Wonderfully character-driven. I know these people now. Ha ha.
Sandy
Kept thinking it was going to go a little deeper; it never did. Sorely disappointed in the ending. She missed Andrew? Really? The hypochondria, all the things that annoyed her to no end; she missed?! I don't think so; one of my mothers sayings was 'absence makes the heart grow fonder'............thus the outcome of this book. Dash thought things would be different; unlikely, I would think after a few weeks or months back with the same old hypochondria Andrew, Dash will hit the road again.
Victoria
I didn't really care for this book. Probably because its audience is targeted directly towards women with college-age or older kids... I just didn't find this book to be nearly as interesting or funny as the reviews stated. The problems and characters did not ring true to me, and overall they seemed silly. Also, for a book with a dog prominently featured on the cover, there weren't enough dog antics... I think the main problem, was really just that I was not the intended audience for this book.
Meaghan
parts were amazing... the end was good. other parts were not so good. all in all it was a good book.
Joan Husmann
After reading some of the previous reviews, I almost took this book back to the library unopened. I'm glad I didn't. Dash, to me, was a sympathetic character, a woman in crisis who just doesn't know why. Andrew, despite his seeming passivity, has crushed her spirit over the years without really intending to. Does life always produce happy endings? No, but not all endings are tragic, either. Along the way, they both learn some lessons about caring and compassion.
Angela
I love how Patricia Gaffney writes. You can always feel the characters emotions right to the bottom of your soul. Good read as always.
Theresa
I liked both main characters, and it was so clear they belonged together. My fault with the book is that I never did understand why she left him in the first place. Sure, he had some annoying habits, but she loved him and he loved her, so why not put up with each other for another 20 years? I found it odd that Gaffney wrote the Dash sections in first person but the Andrew sections in third person. Why not let us get as close to Andrew as to Dash?
Tabatha
Dash, main character, was so self absorbed and self involved. I had this as an audiobook.
If it had been in print, I wouldn't have finished it. it is hard to read a book when you
don't like the characters. I feel sorry for her husband who has to put up with her selfish
whims. This isn't about introspection or self actualization. It is a character blaming everyone
else for her own dissatisfaction. Not appealing.
Melissa
Need something light! The first book our first book club read was "The Saving Graces" by Patricia Gaffney, so I'm hoping this is as good. So far not but very entertaining.

Cute story, nothing deep. I do like the style of Patricia Gaffney and there were some parts that had me laughing, but overall - eh.
Elizabeth D
I've read several of Patricia Gaffney's books (none of the "series" books, though) and found them quirky and fun -- good entertainment reading without being trivial. This one is d-r-a-g-g-i-n-g. I keep reading in hopes that the good part will show up any minute, but I'm about to run out of pages. Read Flight Lessons or The Saving Graces if you need a good airplane or beach book -- skip this one.
The writing style differs from what I prefer and am accustomed to, but there were still enough events and goings on within the story to keep me turning the pages. I think it's probably a very true-to-life telling of what a marriage, and those within a marriage, go through when the kids grow up, leave home... when life changes... when we lose our parents, and then become our parents...
  • Sweet Life
  • Fear and Yoga in New Jersey
  • The Things I Do For You
  • Call It Destiny
  • Notes From The Backseat
  • All or Nothing (The Coxwells, #4)
  • Yarn: Remembering the Way Home
  • Tales From The Crib
  • The Fortune Quilt
  • The Shortest Distance Between Two Women
Patricia Gaffney was born in Tampa, Florida, and grew up in Bethesda, Maryland, a suburb of Washington, D.C. She earned a bachelor’s degree in English and philosophy from Marymount College in Tarrytown, New York, and also studied literature at Royal Holloway College of the University of London, at George Washington University, and at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.

After college, G
More about Patricia Gaffney...
The Saving Graces Circle of Three To Have and To Hold (Wyckerley Trilogy, #2) The Goodbye Summer Flight Lessons

“And Honey, I just want you to know, even though I didn't see it coming, it makes absolutely no difference to your father or to me that you are a thespian.” 0 likes