Getting Started in Consulting

Getting Started in Consulting

3.82 of 5 stars 3.82  ·  rating details  ·  677 ratings  ·  13 reviews

The Unbeatable, Updated, Comprehensive Guidebook For First-Time Consultants

Getting Started In Consulting

More people than ever are making the jump from corporate offices to home offices, taking control of their futures, being their own bosses, and starting their own consultancies. Consulting is a bigger business than ever and growing every day.

For almost a decade, Alan Wei

Published (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Getting Started in Consulting, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Getting Started in Consulting

Michael Boezi
A little outdated this point (I'm not going to be purchasing a fax machine, for instance), but the core principles are solid. I found it to be very useful, and learned some things that I might not have considered—but probably would have learned the hard way. Thank you, Alan Weiss!
Ramón Pérez
Si quieres empezar a pensar en poner un negocio - no sólo uno de consultoría - empieza por este libro. Más cuando lo relea.

En este libro Alan Weiss explica en formato A-B-C qué hay que hacer para montar un negocio de consultoría y que funcione, y además cómo ir creciendo para ir ganando más y más dinero. Es una lectura excelsa por un lado, porque es motivante ver la cantidad de cosas que puedes hacer para que un negocio funcione. Por otro lado, si llevas tiempo en este negocio, es descorazonador...more
Bernadette Wright, PhD
Many useful tips and examples for building up a new consulting practice to become a sustainable, high growth business.
Patrick
A comprehensive introduction to setting up your own consulting practice. Full of practical and useful tips around insurance, facilities, marketing, sales, and pricing. Comes with examples and appendices.

I only gave this book three stars because I'm not looking to start my own shop. I'm happily consulting for another firm, so most of this book wasn't actually useful to me. If I were going to strike out on my own, I think this is the first place I'd turn. Even so, I found the chapters on proposal...more
Deborah
There were some good nuggets of information for anyone contemplating a shift to consulting. Ultimately, it convinced me I need to work for someone else. But that's why do research, isn't it?

Definitely get the second edition. Some of the tech recommendations are outdated since the 2004 update, such as his suggestion to get a mobile phone or to get internet through your cable company because it is faster than dialup - practices that are now standard. It shows how quickly our technology changes.
Cnd
A few outdated stuff in this book. Gives a good blueprint of the consulting field. I read this as I was considering adding a consultative element to my marketing business. I would focus on the philosophy behind the concepts more than anything, although, some of the ideas can be immediately applicable. I have used a few concepts with some success.
Chris Munson
The perfect roadmap for anyone considering a career in consulting. Lays out the exact steps and requirements for anyone to begin a sucessful consulting practice. Highly recommended!
Dennis Moons
Read this after the million dollar consultant.

Felt like big parts of the book were simply re-used.

Nonetheless, a good book with valuable information from field experience!
Nick
Yes, I learned a lot from this book that I need right now as I ramp up my consulting business.
loafingcactus
A good surface overview of a lot of topics. Prompted me to think a bit more about pricing.
Ben Z.
Essential, required reading for anyone who's considering becoming a full-time consultant.
Keshia
Read this book many years ago and it is still my go-to book for anything consulting.
Laurie Neighbors
Lots of the obvious, and lots of grating swagger.
Bala
Bala marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Chandru
Chandru marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Saddam Azad
Saddam Azad marked it as to-read
Aug 26, 2014
Christina Quick
Christina Quick marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Kyle Bruton
Kyle Bruton marked it as to-read
Aug 25, 2014
Bhuvan Rout
Bhuvan Rout marked it as to-read
Aug 20, 2014
Kristen
Kristen marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Manon
Manon marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
  • Learning from the Future
  • Turning Numbers into Knowledge: Mastering the Art of Problem Solving
  • Purpose: The Starting Point of Great Companies
  • Bankable Business Plans
  • Fail-Safe Investing
  • How to Read a Financial Report: Wringing Vital Signs Out of the Numbers
  • Marketing Metrics: 50+ Metrics Every Executive Should Master
  • The New Business Road Test: What Entrepeneurs and Executives Should Do Before Writing a Business Plan
  • 3-D Negotiation: Powerful Tools to Change the Game in Your Most Important Deals
  • Self-Directed Behavior: Self-Modification for Personal Adjustment
  • The Simplicity Survival Handbook: 32 Ways To Do Less And Accomplish More
  • Accounting Made Simple: Accounting Explained in 100 Pages or Less
  • The Secrets of Consulting: A Guide to Giving and Getting Advice Successfully
  • The McGraw-Hill 36-Hour Course in Finance for Non-Financial Managers
  • Principles of Statistics
  • 45 Effective Ways for Hiring Smart! : How to Predict Winners and Losers in the Incredibly Expensive People-Reading Game
Value-Based Fees: How to Charge - and Get - What You're Worth (The Ultimate Consultant Series) Million Dollar Consulting: the Professional's Guide to Growing a Practice The Consulting Bible: Everything You Need to Know to Create and Expand a Seven-Figure Consulting Practice Money Talks: How to Make a Million as a Speaker Million Dollar Consulting Toolkit: Step-By-Step Guidance, Checklists, Templates, and Samples from the Million Dollar Consultant